Equity Residential "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Equity Residential Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 25, 2019

4.3
Equity Residential CEO Mark Parrell
Mark Parrell
Pros
Cons
  • "Also upper management in Chicago is super all boys club with very little diversity with women or people of color(in 40 reviews)

• "Although they talk about a work life balance they will work you to the bone(in 30 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "The Grass is Greener Over Here"

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Internal training for new and seasoned employees, Great work/life balance, Company invests in their employees, Advancement opportunities, Full health benefits available, Team Building Events, Competitive Salary, Commission available for leasing positions, Employee Resident discounts

Cons

Would like to see more communities acquired or developed in the North OC area.

Equity Residential2019-10-22
  2. "Micro Management"

Former Employee - Leasing Agent in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Equity Residential full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Coworkers Pretty Good Benefits Paid time off

Cons

Micro Management Bad Work/Life balance Electronic leash

Advice to Management

Get rid of the "electronic leash". Texting employees on their day off will ruin a persons work/life balance. There's no reason to do this, whatever you feel is so important, isn't.

Equity Residential2019-11-26
  3. "Great benefits, but watch your back"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Equity Residential full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is an amazing sense of comraderie among the property teams with people always willing to go above and beyond to help you. The benefits are bomb with a 4% 401K match, ESPP options, adoption money up to $20k and fertility treatment up to $20k too! Plus they have an awesome education and training program that will teach you all about property management.

Cons

Although they talk about a work life balance they will work you to the bone. The company is proud to boast of its skeletal staffing and your constantly fighting to get money for the property. They will also low ball you on offers so make sure to negotiate negotiate negotiate!! They also suck you in with the apartment discount but they don’t tell you that you the money that you get taxed doesn’t make it worth it.... Also upper management in Chicago is super all boys club with very little diversity with women or people of color. So beware of that glass ceiling.

Advice to Management

I bled sweat and tears Equity for over ten years, and was dumped in a heartbeat due to a liability issue. So keep that in mind that the company will have zero loyalty to you as a person. It breaks my heart to say that, but unfortunately it’s all to true.

Equity Residential2019-10-19
  4. "Amazing company to work for!"

Current Employee - Leasing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-competative hourly pay -great benefits -work/life balance conscious company -amazing employees -amazing management -multiple properties within the company -multiple ways to be trained and programs in place for advancement and career wellbeing

Cons

-commissions could be more competitive -advancement can be scarce at times. But might be with all companies. Just have to be patient for the right opportunity

Equity Residential2019-08-30
  5. "Look no further than Equity Residential"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time for less than a year

Pros

Outstanding support system for new and current employees, healthy home/work life balance, and a culture that invites new and fresh ideas without fear of losing your job or for speaking up on what you feel may be the right thing to do. EQR is with the times and they try to streamline everything to make your job easier. I love that I can easily communicate with all of our residents via email, I love that we have... upscale events for our residents, and just overall appreciate the support that has been given to me as a new manager to the company.

Cons

I have been an employee for about 6 months now and no cons that I can think of. I've been in the industry for about 10 years now and this is the happiest I have been and I feel like I can truly be myself.

Equity Residential2019-08-13

"Used to love it but now..."

Current Employee - Community Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are decent. They have created a forum for the company to communicate nationwide and enter suggestions on improvements so you feel like your voice is heard.

Cons

If you've been with the company for more than 4 years then you know how it used to be. Everyone felt like family and you could ask for support without worrying about your capabilities to do your job being questioned. They've taken away resident events that the residents actually enjoyed and started charging them to attend, they've cut back on employee events so we don't get to meet as much with our peers that... support each other. Leadership is unhelpful. They tell you to think like an owner but treat you like you are incapable of making a sound business decision if it doesn't make the investors money. They say do the right thing but that doesn't mean what you think it means. They call us field workers and that's exactly how we are treated. Disposable. Any employee that works in the "field" is spread way too thin. They promote work life balance but you spend your evenings, weekends, and vacations trying to catch up or ensure your community doesn't go up in flames. And if it does, no one from upper management helps. They let you drown and tell you to figure it out on your own. Good luck trying to get promoted if you are not favored.

Advice to Management

Do better. Value your employees just like you value your investors.

Equity Residential2019-08-09
  7. "Great company"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company, bonuses, lots of properties

Cons

Corporate feel, work life balance has gone down hill

Equity Residential2019-06-20

"Run away as fast as you can!"

Former Employee - Machine Technician

I worked at Equity Residential full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company like to give the perception that they care about their employees, but they don’t. The thing cool about working here is the discount

Cons

No work life balance They only care about money Management can’t be trusted. They will lie to make themselves look good HR needs to be more involved. Currently, they are so detached from the business and managers are doing hella shady stuff.

Advice to Management

Challenge your managers to be better. Show your face at the sites and check in on your employees

Equity Residential2019-07-05

"Every Rose Has It's Thorns"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Equity Residential full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company offers competitive salaries for new employees, ample PTO/sick time, a standard employee discount of 20% and, most importantly, they are owned and managed by the same entity. This creates a consistent level of customer service for the residents and prospects. Equity's changing culture places value on resident satisfaction and work/life balance for its employees. Most of the Regional and Community Managers... truly care for their charges. The message delivered by 2 North is positive and employee-centric.

Cons

Equity has not combined their PTO to include both vacation and sick time, so employees who are not ill often lose these hours when they leave the company. The bottom line-driven operation style of the company creates a "no money to do that" mentality for its employees and residents. Smaller communities are given an inordinately small budget for resident functions and prospect refreshments. Managers often have to get... creative and solicit vendors to fund these events, which can come off as cheap and uninspired. Capital projects are often scaled back so far from their original concept that site staff members are confused and unprepared on how to share the message with prospective and current residents. Human Resources team members are not in place to protect team members, but rather to protect the company. Exit interviews are held sporadically without a real intention to resolve issues. Instead, they are mere formalities and an opportunity to scout for detractors. Renewal conversations can be difficult with existing residents, because Equity often asks for higher increases than market conditions would seem to allow. Property Manager's opinions are footnotes to the greater conversation on pricing and it is rare that your thoughts create change. Managers are responsible for a budget that they do not help to create. You are only allowed to make suggestions or requests.

Advice to Management

Trust your community managers. They are the people on the ground every day and know more about pricing, employee satisfaction, and customer feedback than an AVP or Pricing Analyst. Also, to the senior area management, don't get dead drunk at employee functions. It doesn't make you 'fun', it makes you 'unprofessional'.

Equity Residential2019-05-22
  10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time

Pros

Will give you a lot of benefits in terms of work life balance and skills. Great leadership and support.

Cons

Can be stressful at times.

Equity Residential2019-03-08