KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Equity Residential

Engaged Employer

Equity Residential

Add a Review

Equity Residential Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 19, 2021

4.3
Equity Residential President and CEO Mark Parrell
Mark Parrell
Pros
  • "Great Benefits & Professional Staff(in 47 reviews)

• "great pay, positive work-life balance, easy going work environment(in 35 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Also upper management in Chicago is super all boys club with very little diversity with women or people of color(in 41 reviews)

• "Not much of a work/life balance(in 37 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Equity Residential and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Love Equity, Equity Loves You Back

Dec 21, 2020 - Community Manager in Cuiabá, Mato Grosso, Mato Grosso
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits - fair compensation, feels like upper management is transparent. Has been moving towards becoming more inclusive, listening to black voices and including trans folks into our conversations. Most corp employees and upper level employees have been very open to sharing knowledge and mentoring. I've literally reached out to people I barely know to ask to be mentored about what they do and how to improve in certain skills, and each time they happily arrange a time to work with me. I have put in a lot of time with this company, and part of that was because, especially when I first started, I didn't have the privilege of being able to just quit and get a different job. I know that's a weird concept but being able to just quit a job is a privilege. I decided at one point that i wanted my career to be here (there are some extraordinary scenarios where i would leave, but it involves my in-laws moving to Nicaragua tbh) so I started looking for new ways to be more successful and grow. Not just move up, but make meaningful moves that help me. I'm ranting at this point, but really, this company loves you back.

Cons

work/life balance can be difficult to achieve with business needs especially in the Seattle area as we work with really small teams so getting coverage can be difficult. This is more true for LCs. Corp positions are few and far between (naturally) but what makes it more difficult when they come available is that they are usually based in Chicago. Not that I would't consider relocating, but some positions can be done inn any of the markets with virtual meetings etc. Thats even more apparent now that we've done everything virtually for the last year lol.

Recruiter

10 Years on the Equity Team! We love it and are so happy to have you! As you are aware, we strive to communicate effectively with all teams across the nation and create a sense of community with not only residents but employees. We are so happy to hear that you enjoy working at Equity and appreciate the feedback!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Overall great place to work

Dec 3, 2019 - Community Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Your coworkers and teams tend to become family. Equity hires smart, talented, enthusiastic people. The people that work here have kept me at Equity over the years. Your experience with Equity will depend on your manager, this is true for both CMs and LCs. I've been lucky enough to have amazing mentors throughout my time at Equity, people that truly care about my development and goals. If you work hard (and by working hard I mean consistently going above and beyond) you will be rewarded. Promotions from within are common and goals are attainable. Equity's training and development workshops and their new hire programs set the company apart from others. I am so happy that I "fell" into this industry years ago. I can say that I have enjoyed the ride!

Cons

Sometimes the residents can be downright mean and disrespectful. It takes a certain type of person to work in this industry. Equity should continue to look into stress management opportunities for employees because the on site teams are consistently talking about the stress that their job causes. PTO should be revisited as the vacation offered is not comparable to its competitors. Work life balance continues to be a struggle. Not allowing access to systems from home can cause some managers to work late hours in the office. There is a need to revisit flexible hours and office hours with the ever-changing workforce.

2 people found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

Wow - what a fantastic endorsement of all that we strive to offer as a company! We too are happy that you fell into our industry, and thrilled to hear that your ride has been so enjoyable - largely in part to the great people and leaders you have had the opportunity to meet. We also love hearing your positive words about where hard work and dedication will take you here at Equity; we couldn’t agree more. Thank you also for your constructive feedback and suggestions. We know that working in a customer-facing industry like ours comes with its stresses and challenges, and we are always looking for ways that we can give back to our employees and support your total wellbeing. While concepts like flexible hours and teleworking can pose a challenge in a business like ours, we do continue to discuss and explore these options, and hope that you and your team are excited about the new changes coming to our leasing office start times. Once again, we thank you for your feedback - but more importantly, for your many years of commitment to Equity. We are lucky to have positive and inspiring leaders like you!

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best company I have worked for

Jan 19, 2021 - Leasing Consultant in Chino Hills, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

great pay, positive work-life balance, easy going work environment

Cons

There is not as much growth opportunity and there is a need for more floaters or assistant managers

Operations Specialist

Wow! The best company you have ever worked for! What a high compliment. We appreciate the work that you are doing and that you are enjoying the benefits of working with Equity! We encourage you to talk with your manager and regional Organization & Talent Development Learning Manager to learn more about what training opportunities may be available to continue to grow in your career with us. We are glad you are here!

4. 5.0

Community Manager

Jan 29, 2020 - Community Manager in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Equity is the company I have ever worked for. Equity is so passionate about investing in employees and if you want to move up, the opportunities are there. I’ve worked with the company for 4 years and have been promoted twice already. I started as a Leasing Consultant, new to the industry, was promoted to Leasing Manager and finally Community Manager. Work is work, there are things you will like and dislike about any job but working for Equity gave me additional benefits- a beautiful apartment, that I wouldn’t live in without my discount, and friendships that I’ll never forget. The people who work for this company are the ones who make it and Equity does a great job of bringing them together during classes and leadership summits but also through meet ups outside of work.

Cons

Property Management is a difficult business to have a proper work/life balance in and while Equity is trying to offer employees options to help that, managers don’t really get that benefit. Even when off or on vacation, we are never really off. I am not sure what the solution is to this issue, but I wish there was a way to elevate some of that pressure.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great company

Jan 9, 2021 - Leasing Agent
      Business Outlook

Pros

Commission structure, benefits, company events

Cons

No work life balance. Have to work holidays and weekends

Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, we appreciate hearing from you. Due to the nature of our business and being in the service industry, weekends (and some holidays) will always be a requirement for many of our roles. Please know we strive to make sure that work life balance is attainable to every employee by offering different employee incentives such as wellness programs, paid time off, employee assistant programs and other competitive benefits. We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best of luck.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Challenging and Busy

Nov 27, 2020 - Leasing Consultant in Foster City, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Get to meet a ton of people, company is supportive and want you to succeed

Cons

Not much of a work/life balance. Need to move up if don’t want to work weekends

1 person found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

Thank you for your recognition of Equity’s dedication and commitment to their employee’s growth and development; we appreciate your comments! We are constantly looking at ways to encourage and promote work/life balance for our employees, through avenues such as paid time off, wellness programs, employee assistance programs, and other competitive benefits. We are in the service industry, which often includes a weekend schedule for a variety of our onsite positions, including our Community, Service, and Regional Manager teams - we are so thankful for your service!

7. 5.0

Best job I've ever had

Jan 29, 2020 - Service Manager in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employees care about the work they do which directly impacts the resident this had a lot to do with the people Equity hires, trains, and compensates. Equity is flexible in ways that allow employees to acquire a happy work-life balance. Most of the properties form tight bonds with their peers which develops a family feeling. This alone is a key ingredient that makes Equity one of the best of the best places to work. Benefits and perks are excellent. Awards and Bonuses.

Cons

Recognition is low. Equity tends to award those that boast their victories the most. In other words, if you don't toot your horn you get nothing. Too much business politics.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Understaffed and Overworked Employees

Dec 29, 2019 - Leasing Consultant in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Discounts on rent if you live at an Equity property. -You work with some really great people.

Cons

-High Turnover: There is an unbelievable amount of turnover in the leasing offices. Upper management doesn't seem to care since they'll end up paying the new employee less than someone who's been there longer. About half the leasing consultants I started with in training left by the time I hit 6 months. -Understaffing: Even with high turnover, they do not fill positions quickly (sometimes months) which leaves an already understaffed office with very little support. I've seen them take advantage and completely burn out so many great employees to the point of quitting. -Work/Life Balance: You barely get any holidays off and most employees work weekends (even managers) -Manipulative management: Community and Regional managers know how to manipulate their employees when making decisions about their careers (transferring communities, promotions, quitting, etc.) and are always only looking out for themselves and their own careers.

2 people found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While we are disappointed to hear that your experience was not more positive, we do appreciate the insight, and we take it seriously. We recognize that our industry is one that comes with its challenges, including competing for and retaining talent in a competitive job market, and we are continuously striving to adapt and improve our processes to meet these demands. We are particularly concerned to hear your take on leadership in your market, and we hope that you shared some specific examples with your local HR team prior to your departure. If you did not, please know that we would still welcome the opportunity to hear from you, and encourage you to reach out. Thank you, and we wish you the best.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Used to love it but now...

Aug 9, 2019 - Community Manager in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are decent. They have created a forum for the company to communicate nationwide and enter suggestions on improvements so you feel like your voice is heard.

Cons

If you've been with the company for more than 4 years then you know how it used to be. Everyone felt like family and you could ask for support without worrying about your capabilities to do your job being questioned. They've taken away resident events that the residents actually enjoyed and started charging them to attend, they've cut back on employee events so we don't get to meet as much with our peers that support each other. Leadership is unhelpful. They tell you to think like an owner but treat you like you are incapable of making a sound business decision if it doesn't make the investors money. They say do the right thing but that doesn't mean what you think it means. They call us field workers and that's exactly how we are treated. Disposable. Any employee that works in the "field" is spread way too thin. They promote work life balance but you spend your evenings, weekends, and vacations trying to catch up or ensure your community doesn't go up in flames. And if it does, no one from upper management helps. They let you drown and tell you to figure it out on your own. Good luck trying to get promoted if you are not favored.

6 people found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback. Although we are disappointed to hear that your impression of the company has changed over the length of your tenure, we are hopeful that after the amount of time you have invested in your career here, we may have the opportunity to re-engage you. Many members of our senior leadership team, both across the country and across departments, read these reviews and take the feedback seriously; while yours is difficult to hear, we are appreciative that you shared it with us. We also hope that the upcoming Leader Summit will be a great opportunity for you to network with all of your CM and SM peers, as well as hear about new initiatives and strategy from our leadership team, and of course — make your voice heard. If you have specific feedback you are willing to share, we hope you will contact your HR Director at 202-971-7088. We thank you again, and we hope for the opportunity to change your perspective.

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great benefits, but watch your back

Oct 19, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There is an amazing sense of comraderie among the property teams with people always willing to go above and beyond to help you. The benefits are bomb with a 4% 401K match, ESPP options, adoption money up to $20k and fertility treatment up to $20k too! Plus they have an awesome education and training program that will teach you all about property management.

Cons

Although they talk about a work life balance they will work you to the bone. The company is proud to boast of its skeletal staffing and your constantly fighting to get money for the property. They will also low ball you on offers so make sure to negotiate negotiate negotiate!! They also suck you in with the apartment discount but they don’t tell you that you the money that you get taxed doesn’t make it worth it. Also upper management in Chicago is super all boys club with very little diversity with women or people of color. So beware of that glass ceiling.

1 person found this review helpful