KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Equity Residential

Engaged Employer

Equity Residential

Add a Review

Equity Residential Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 29, 2021

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Equity Residential and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Understaffed and Under Appreciated

Nov 29, 2021 - Leasing Consultant in Jersey City, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Steady pay, decent rental discount

Cons

Toxic work environment, always understaffed, rarely a manager onsite, you will be performing managerial duties without the pay or acknowledgement. Commission payout is very minimal. No incentive to strive for success in this role. Committed to working every weekend. They promoted a flexible schedule but it really means being flexible to go to other buildings. Overall zero work life balance and the overall work environment is very toxic.

5 people found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We are disappointed to hear your perspectives, as Equity has an extremely strong focus on components such as work/life balance, financial wellbeing, and employee engagement. We hope you voiced your concerns to either your Regional Manager or HR during your time with us, as we encourage our employees to speak up - and even offer a variety of platforms and resources for them to do so, both openly and anonymously.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Community Manager

Apr 30, 2018 - Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company is committed to the success of their employees. I enjoy coming to work and feel appreciated for the work that I do. They believe in work life balance and go out of their way to accommodate my needs. They embrace change and are always evolving with the times.

Cons

Practice the hiring before the curve.

3 people found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

Hello, and thank you for the inspiring comments! We are so happy to hear about your positive experience, and beyond appreciative of your impressive 10 years of service. Thank you also for your suggestion regarding proactive hiring practices — something that has been top of mind for us in recent years as the job market gets more and more competitive. Our recruiting team has been working on some exciting new initiatives, and they love suggestions from our leaders in the field — so please know the door is always open to hear your suggestions! Thanks again for all you do.

3. 3.0

The Good and The Bad

Feb 19, 2021 - Leasing Consultant in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

They had good benefits such as 401k matching

Cons

Management and Work Life Balance

Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking some time to mention the pros and cons of your experience with Equity. We encourage employees to reach out to be heard if there are any concerns regarding work life balance, and we are continually striving to ensure appropriate staffing levels and providing time off benefits and other support resources to encourage employees to have balance. We are disappointed that wasn’t your experience and appreciate your feedback.

4. 2.0

Understaffed and Overworked Employees

Dec 29, 2019 - Leasing Consultant in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Discounts on rent if you live at an Equity property. -You work with some really great people.

Cons

-High Turnover: There is an unbelievable amount of turnover in the leasing offices. Upper management doesn't seem to care since they'll end up paying the new employee less than someone who's been there longer. About half the leasing consultants I started with in training left by the time I hit 6 months. -Understaffing: Even with high turnover, they do not fill positions quickly (sometimes months) which leaves an already understaffed office with very little support. I've seen them take advantage and completely burn out so many great employees to the point of quitting. -Work/Life Balance: You barely get any holidays off and most employees work weekends (even managers) -Manipulative management: Community and Regional managers know how to manipulate their employees when making decisions about their careers (transferring communities, promotions, quitting, etc.) and are always only looking out for themselves and their own careers.

4 people found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While we are disappointed to hear that your experience was not more positive, we do appreciate the insight, and we take it seriously. We recognize that our industry is one that comes with its challenges, including competing for and retaining talent in a competitive job market, and we are continuously striving to adapt and improve our processes to meet these demands. We are particularly concerned to hear your take on leadership in your market, and we hope that you shared some specific examples with your local HR team prior to your departure. If you did not, please know that we would still welcome the opportunity to hear from you, and encourage you to reach out. Thank you, and we wish you the best.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place with great people!

Mar 27, 2018 - Community Manager in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture of this company is amazing. We hire the right people and our ideas and concerns are really heard by senior management. The company spends time and money on training and helping employees reach their goals. I feel like we always do the "right" thing for employees and residents.

Cons

During peak season time management and work life balance is challenging at times.

2 people found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

Many thanks for your great review! We couldn’t agree with you more about the great people who make up this great company - including you! Your 10 years of service speaks volumes, and we are so grateful to you for your dedication. You have undoubtedly had a major impact on many other employees’ lives and careers during that time, and we can’t thank you enough. Keep up the great work; cheers to the next 10!

6. 4.0
    Former Employee

Good place to work

Sep 16, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoyed my time there as people are dedicated and have a good work life balance

Cons

It seems there are limited opportunities for advancement

Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective on your time with Equity! We believe that the sky is the limit here and we love to promote from within, so your feedback is very important to us as we strive to improve our communication strategies and to educate our employees about the best way to grow and advance. Thank you again, and we wish you the best.

7. 3.0
    Current Employee

Leasing Consultant

Jun 17, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

great health benefits great coworkers great 401 k No Micromanaging

Cons

the hourly rate is not worth the headache inexperienced managers no work life balance as you have to work almost every weekend poor communication within management No employee appreciation The new commission structure still sucks!

Operations Specialist

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While we are encouraged by what you enjoy about the company and your job, we hope to have an opportunity to improve upon the other areas you mentioned in order to retain you as an employee. Unfortunately, weekends will always be a requirement of a Leasing Consultant position due to the nature of our business and the need to be available to our customers, but we do strive to deliver a work-life balance with days off during the week, paid time off, and company events. We are also sorry to hear that our employee appreciation events and efforts have not met your expectations. Please feel free to contact your Community Manager, Regional Manager, or a member of your local Human Resources team if you have any ideas on how we can improve our training, commission structure, or employee engagement events. Thank you.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fantastic Experience!

May 4, 2018 - Community Manager in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for EQR for the past 7 years. Its the only residential management company that I have worked for that truly believes in the work/life balance. Streamlined processes, rewarding workdays, pays well and I go home stress free.

Cons

Wish the workdays ended at 5pm, but that's property management for you.

4 people found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

Thank you so much for your five stars – but more importantly, for your seven years! We are so proud to offer the culture, structure, and opportunities you described, and we hope to continue to engage and retain you for many more years. Thank you for your advice as well; our leaders make every attempt to remain connected to the realities of the challenges you and your colleagues face on-site, but if you ever feel we are missing the mark, we hope you will continue to speak up with your suggestions. Thanks again for all that you do and for sharing your positive endorsement!

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great benefits, but watch your back

Oct 19, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is an amazing sense of comraderie among the property teams with people always willing to go above and beyond to help you. The benefits are bomb with a 4% 401K match, ESPP options, adoption money up to $20k and fertility treatment up to $20k too! Plus they have an awesome education and training program that will teach you all about property management.

Cons

Although they talk about a work life balance they will work you to the bone. The company is proud to boast of its skeletal staffing and your constantly fighting to get money for the property. They will also low ball you on offers so make sure to negotiate negotiate negotiate!! They also suck you in with the apartment discount but they don’t tell you that you the money that you get taxed doesn’t make it worth it. Also upper management in Chicago is super all boys club with very little diversity with women or people of color. So beware of that glass ceiling.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 2.0

Biggest REIT in the US. Great if you are entry-level in real estate

Feb 23, 2015 - Leasing Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Equity is the largest REIT in the country which is great for your resume or starting a career in Real Estate. Depending on the property you work at, you can and will learn a lot from the building, your co-workers/managers and the tenants themselves. I would recommend a Leasing Consultant job to anyone who has graduated High school and wants real estate, sales or customer service experience. Great Employee stock share purchase plan, 15% discount. Health Plan, not bad Rent Discount if you live in a company property - 20% (should be higher..)

Cons

Being the largest, it also comes with a handful of cons. Employee moral and climate vary from property to property. The worst is the schedule. Work life balance is non-existent and even though you get 7-10 holidays/PTO it often times is denied by managers when requested. Weekends are required at every property. Friday, Saturday, many Sundays too. Mid-level management positions have been eliminated making it nearly impossible to advance unless you possess accounting skills. Overtime is necessary during busy seasons but highly frowned upon by managers who are charged with balancing a property budget (ie. Overtime pay kills their budget). If you are unlucky and get a bad community or property manager you will be miserable. All training is baptism by fire or on the computer, so, not effective. Finally, it is a public company so the top 3 priorities of senior management is 1) Stockholders, 2) Stockholders, 3) Earnings report for Stockholders