Equity Trust Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Matt Wilson

Pros
  • The company has experienced a lot of growth lately and recently moved into a new building (in 15 reviews)

• I wasn't there long, but seems to have a great work/life balance for its employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no communication between departments (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management would not work with your schedule if you had school to attend (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A solid place to work"

Pros

You will meet and work with some of the best people. My team has some of the nicest, smartest, most hardworking people I've ever worked with. They've made me better at my job!
    If you take the time to learn about alternative investing and IRAs, you will be so much better at your job - as well knowing more about saving for retirement.

Cons

If you like working at company where your job never changes, this not the place for you. I've had the details of my position many times and I like it, but that might make other people crazy.
    If you do not want to learn on your own time, this is also not the job for you. I've learned about IRAs, investing, alternatives, accounting, process improvement, business writing, and many other subjects outside of work in order to keep up with the demands of the various positions I've held here. I was not formally asked to do this by my boss - doing this was my own choice. That said, it's made me better at my job and increased my job satisfaction every time I've done this.

Advice to Management

Be more aware some people can't deal with the details of their position radically changing. Most people know what they're good at and what kind of job suits them best and that's what motivates them to apply for a particular position. This doesn't make them bad at their job or problem employees when they are upset about a major change that rewrites the job they signed on to do with the implication of 'if you don't like it, there's the door'.

2. "a decent job"

I have been working at Equity Trust Company full-time

Pros

The building is beautiful. In-house cafeteria and cafe. Monthly massages. In-house gym. Away from downtown. You can get hired for most positions with minimal computer knowledge or education credentials. Decent amount of freedom and not so much micro-managing. Annual bonuses. Overtime is offered in many dept sporadically.

Cons

The pay is very inconsistent. Employees in the same role are making dramatically different wages. They don't negotiate upon hire, and they dramatically alter the starting wages on a yearly basis, so that new hires get paid a substantially more amount than veterans. Management can't be trusted to honor their promises. (Regarding incentives). They will create an incentive program, allow half of the employees to take advantage and have their chance at a substantial pay increase, and then cancel the program permanently before everyone promised had their shot at the program; which further varies the pay rates; Complete lack of fairness in that regard. It can get very busy at times. They tend to be understaffed across the board. It gets frustrating waiting for other departments to work their piece of the transaction and having little to no control, but yet having to be the one to discuss the delays with the clients.

Advice to Management

Honor promises made so that employees feel more inclined to live up to the expectations placed upon them as well. Respect is a 2 way street and happy employees express appreciation by doing their best. Also, when a candidate applies for an internal position, notification would be helpful that the position went to someone else, as well as feedback as to the reason.

"There is a reason there are always open positions"

Former Employee - Operations in Westlake, OH

I worked at Equity Trust Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow co-workers are very friendly and helpful and are essentially your only ally

Cons

Almost everything. Month after month, promise after promise, Equity always lets down their employees and clients. There is no real vision from management, company is run from a board of directors that meets once a quarter. Once things are trickled down to lower level management there is almost always a communication breakdown and the lower-level employees suffer the most from it. There is also zero training, you will be immediately thrown into a role that you will have to adapt to. Its almost as their theory is whoever can adapt is fit to be there, and you basically have to learn as you go which makes they turnover rate incredibly high. You are constantly told that training will be on the way but upper management suffers from a major shakeup every few months as well so nothing is organized and no one is ever on the same page. As I was leaving they had just fired two directors of operations so this trend is more than likely going to continue

Advice to Management

Train employees. I really can't believe that has to be said

5. "Good company"

Former Employee - Client Services Representative/Investment Liaison in Chicago, IL

I worked at Equity Trust Company (More than a year)

Pros

Busy, good management. Room to grow and friendly

Cons

None. Company started off too busy, but have figured it out

6. "Overall, a good foot in the door job."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OH

Pros

It has some good benefits being a pension based and investment company. Also has an onsite cafe with delicious food that will get you hooked. A little gym and yoga room too for motivation

Cons

There is very little room to improve. Once you start at a position, you are mainly stuck there. Communication between supervisor/team lead to Operation associate is lacking in some departments

Advice to Management

Find a proper procedure for everything. Get quality people to instill these procedures as opposed to paying cheap employees

"Could be better"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Westlake, OH

I worked at Equity Trust Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work, some will help so won't. I love the overtime they let us have. They have a gym and classes but no time to use them. Nobody is going to stop working get sweat and then go back to work..use that space for other things but the massage is great.

Cons

They offer all these great benefits but you are working so much no time to use them. Hyland employees get discounts at a lot of clothes stores, restaurants, I feel like those discounts would be great! Make a deal with Macy's or Nordstrom for your employees.

Advice to Management

I enjoy my managers issues could be fixed with hr. If your going to under pay at least give us discounts to places we use.

"Paralegal"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Old Town, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Old Town, ME

I worked at Equity Trust Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Equity has a fabulous work environment. Being only 200 people or so, it is nice to be recognized by those who aren't your direct colleagues. I wasn't there long, but seems to have a great work/life balance for its employees. Many on-site perks.

Cons

In a growing "green" work environment, the company is still very paper-intensive.

"Investments"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield Lake, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield Lake, OH

I worked at Equity Trust Company (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hard working employees who care about each other and the community.

Cons

All staff members are overworked with no work-life balance. Internal changes always have a negative impact on the client experience.

Advice to Management

Make internal changes that will improve the client experience and support the company culture.

10. "Growing Pains Getting Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OH

Pros

Market leader. New executive team wants to help company grow. Hard working employees who care about each other and community. Owners who care about community and employees.

Cons

Some employees are tired and negative about changes the company has gone through over the past few years. They should keep it to themselves. System conversion was rough but they always are. Owners support education in community but no tuition assistance for employees.

Advice to Management

Share more with employees. Especially good news!

"Where no one important knows your name."

Former Employee - Operations in Westlake, OH

I worked at Equity Trust Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are nice, the building is beautiful, the pay is good.

Cons

Welcome to a company that just announced they will be firing 15 people while bringing in a bunch of new executives who are mostly overpaid. Very few officers in the company have any idea what it is their department does, or even the names of the people who work for them.

Barely anyone has met the new CEO. Most executives dont want to get to know you. No wonder people are leaving like it's the 2013 conversion all over again.

Don't bother applying of you don't have a degree. You aren't eligible for any position regardless how talented or intelligent you are. The corporate culture, if you can even call it that, looks down on anyone without a degree. Not that they want you going back to school. Then they'd have to pay you more money.

But don't expect that a degree will help you. The company still wants to pay you like an entry level employee. The only bloated salaries allowed are the executives. And they'll leave their pay stubs in the copy room so you know exactly how much they make.

The people making decisions are convinced they're the only ones who know anything. Almost every problem from the recent conversion is directly related to someone with a six-figure salary making a unilateral decision with no understanding of the consequences. After how badly the conversion went, someone surely lost their job, right? Not a single decision maker.

Advice to Management

It's easy: listen. Ask questions. Pretend that your employees actually matter. Stop hiring yes men. Fix the processes that are broken. Devote resources to internal improvements instead of things that will make you look good. Unless you're just waiting to get bought out the way other companies have been bought out before.