Equus Compute Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Equus Compute Solutions Reviews

Updated Mar 5, 2019

3.1
Equus Compute Solutions President & CEO Andy Juang (no image)
Andy Juang
  1. "Sales"

I have been working at Equus Compute Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

ESOP is a huge plus!

Cons

Nothing THAT bad worth mentioning

Advice to Management

None at this time

Equus Compute Solutions2018-08-03
  2. "Good People in a company trying to compete in a cut-throat industry"

I have been working at Equus Compute Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Equus is a mid-size business that still has a lot of the flexibility of a startup. The hardware business is a tough industry where it's difficult to differentiate yourself. Equus went through a major reorganization from the top down a couple years ago, and then again more recently. Although not everything was done properly and there are still challenges, both re-orgs have helped the company find its path and define... how it will be successful moving forward. The company is an ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) which means everyone from top to bottom in the org has skin in the game for the company to be successful.

Cons

As an ESOP, behaviors are sometimes driven based on bottom line versus whats right for the company. This was at extreme levels for many years but the introduction of new leadership has softened the stance of bottom line only, but it still exists. The two main locations (MN and CA) operate very differently and have a culture differences. The MN location is sales and back office focused while the CA location is... production.

Advice to Management

Business and employees are not the same as they were 30 years ago when the company started. Employees, especially younger ones, have different expectations of their employers and their jobs and Equus needs to keep adjusting if they want to bring in top talent.

Equus Compute Solutions2019-03-05

"Great place if you like the sweatshop mentality"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in City of Industry, CA

I worked at Equus Compute Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Most people that work there are good people who got the short end of the stick.

Cons

Really too many to list. Low pay, terrible raises, no way to advance. They just keep you believing things are going to change, but it's ruled with an iron fist that won't budge. I was underpaid from day 1, and no matter what I did , I always got a 3% raise. Employee morale is non-existent. I'm embarrassed to say that I drank their cool-aid for7.5 agonizing years. The straw that broke the camels back was the... new management making the employees do multiple jobs (I became a part-time facilities manager to help them figure out how to add cooling and heating to the warehouse for less than $1K!). They are the CHEAPEST MOST MISERABLE company I have ever worked for and they do not value a single employee (unless perhaps you're Taiwanese).

Advice to Management

When you advertise to the employees that things are going to change, actually do what you say instead of putting lipstick on the same old pig

Equus Compute Solutions2019-01-18
  4. "Horrible business practices and tactics"

Former Employee - Burn-in Technician in Walnut, CA

I worked at Equus Compute Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

The technicians here are highly knowledgeable, friendly and try to the best of their abilities despite horrid management and lack of real policies. Occasional company lunch.

Cons

Where do I start? I got two raises in less than a year, was on my way towards a promotion and blindsided by management after the company asked me to come forward with any improvement ideas. After submitting a report outlining some very serious vulnerabilities within the company everything looked over, I was told thanks for the data, everything was patched and I was promptly terminated, the official reason: Not a... good fit. After working there for a full year, with two raises. They wanted me to sign a Severance agreement for an insulting 4 weeks worth of pay that would bar me from ever trying to sue them, as well as not discussing my employment term. I of course did not sign the agreement despite losing health coverage and the many financial challenges as unemployment takes time to process. My very pregnant wife was able to sign up and qualified for medical, thank God but this company used the classic "At will" argument to get rid of me because someone in upper management probably got a little embarrassed. I don't see this company succeeding as long as they operate in the manner they continue to operate in. During my employment the company at one point sold me used internal equipment and didn't bother following protocol to make sure one of the laptops was reformatted. I wonder if I should mention to their clients about the carelessness of Equus's policies that allowed their private information to escape their facility. Do not go into this company with the mentality you have to do something wrong for them to get rid of you, in California they do not need a valid reason. I currently have a lawyer reviewing an offline archive of my work email, since apparently their security department doesn't wipe and sync corporate inboxes.

Advice to Management

Simply put: Don't willfully screw over your employee's when you have more to lose then your embarrassing risk assessment team failed to realize. Also train your HR representative to properly fill take note of all company property when terminating an employee, most of the items I was issued was never listed on the sign off sheet.

Equus Compute Solutions2019-01-16
  5. "Awesome!!"

I have been working at Equus Compute Solutions full-time

Pros

Everything is pretty straight forward and they teach you how to do things very easily. If you like to work with your hands, you'd love this place.

Cons

A lot of sitting and sometimes gets a little boring

Equus Compute Solutions2018-04-28

"If you like working without thinking and respecting yourself."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Equus Compute Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Paid time off... Paid time off.

Cons

No chance of growth. You will intentionally be kept at your position/title while going beyond it -- even to the point of borderline wage slavery. Management will treat you as if you are beneath them, albeit lacking any real knowledge or leadership. No real SOPs and any documentation is usually highly inaccurate. You will typically pick up the slack/mistakes of multiple departments in the company while being highly... undervalued. Communication between departments is horrid since everyone is pretty much conditioned into thinking only for themselves. Unrealistic deadlines and many lies that tangle within the culture of fear. Management uses bait and switch tactics with also passive aggression. If you are not liked by management you WILL be subjected to sabotage. In the end you will only get a 3% raise no matter what you contribute and line the pockets of the higher ups. Management will ignore your requests for resources to do your job. Bleak.

Advice to Management

Value your talent and treat people as if they are human beings. Hire proper leadership that isn't only concerned about short-term profit and loses.

Equus Compute Solutions2017-08-15
  7. "Great place"

I worked at Equus Compute Solutions

Pros

Liked it while they were there.

Cons

Can't remember, too long ago.

Equus Compute Solutions2017-06-24
  8. "New Leadership, Expanded Mission, Growing Company"

I have been working at Equus Compute Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Equus has invested in new leadership, upgraded engineering skills, and new advanced product solutions. There is a new vibe and the management is committed to the core values. It is really exciting to be part of a company that participates in a dynamic industry while also being an owner-employee who will participate in the financial upside.

Cons

Any company that has been in business almost 30 years has challenges with embracing change and doing things a new way. But people are getting on board.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive change in the organization while focusing on making customers successful.

Equus Compute Solutions2017-02-28
  9. "Move fast, Dream big!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Equus Compute Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Equus is defined by our unique culture – one that rewards impact. We encourage people to be bold and solve the problems they care most about. We work in small teams and move fast to meet customer needs, constantly iterating. New leadership team within last year with improving culture. Inspiring, smart and totally real culture. The openness is a real thing, we're trusted to do the right thing, mistakes are... expected, being yourself is important and encouraged, humility is encouraged and expected, building trust is paramount.

Cons

Like any tech company, the work is big and complicated so work/life balance can suffer from time to time. The difference is that it's the passion within the individuals that drives them to work long hours and forego time off.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and fight hard to not be complacent. I believe that humility is the key so don't ever lose that thinking. Your motives will always be suspect, but if you're able to look in the mirror everyday and know that your motives are pure, that's all that matters. Walking the talk is the best evidence there is.

Equus Compute Solutions2017-01-29
  10. "Software-Designed Storage"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Equus Compute Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really smart people without egos, a lot of opportunity for growth, always encouraged to be innovative, eliminate pain points, and create something new. Team-oriented. Competitive salary and benefits with other PE companies. 100% self-motivating work environment. Informal dress code. Management supports flexible work hours and I have been able to maintain work-life balance. Trust me – I do put in 50 hour work... weeks regularly but they are on my schedule.

Cons

With all of the transformation, there is a little uncertainty and an increased workload. The grey and the unknown can be a little scary, but things are clearly moving in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Honestly I have nothing to say, but just ensure that you maintain our ambitious and unique culture. It is an amazing place to work.

Equus Compute Solutions2016-10-30