Erickson Living Reviews in Springfield, VA | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Erickson Living CEO Alan Butler
Alan Butler

Pros
  • Great benefits and programs to help employees grow their careers as well (in 17 reviews)

• Good benefits and management is open to criticism, residents are a joy to work for (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay scale unrealistic for job duties, little work life balance for those in management roles (in 4 reviews)

• New management created discipline that the former executive team lacked prior to bankruptcy lacked (in 6 reviews)

"Mixed Reviews"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Erickson Living full-time

Pros

Clean pleasant environment.
    Opportunity to grow your skill set
    Most leaders are very good people.

Cons

Exec's and Managers are overscheduled. Leaders need to spend more time growing their key players who come to the company for growth and are performing well.
    Promotions can be a long time coming.

Advice to Management

Spend time with down line who are seeking growth and making positive impact for the company.
    Find out why good managers decide to leave prior to them leaving to increase company bench strength, grow talent pool and have strong leaders for the new EL campuses.

2. "Business"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Springfield, VA
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Erickson Living as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It is in a convenient location, minutes away from multiple major highways and key roads to get access to all parts of VA, DC & MD. The staff is also very friendly and accommodating.

Cons

The compensation is not what it should be for the overall work load. Also senior management is fairly new in nearly all departments, so everything is constantly being switched and processes being changed.

Advice to Management

Find out what works best not only for the residents but the employees as well.

"Health Care Manager"

Former Employee - Health Care Manager in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Health Care Manager in Springfield, VA

I worked at Erickson Living full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent team work at the community level, most everyone enjoys caring for the residents. Benefits were better, under new management not as good.

Cons

It's a non-profit/for profit partnership between communities and corporate. The new company that took over Erickson is not about taking care of residents, it is only about profit. The health care management of EHMG is incompetent. Physicians and other providers are exiting and finding jobs that pay more and have less stress.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees!

"Custom Interiors Coordinator / Interior Design"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

I worked at Erickson Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is pretty great, and the coworkers are awesome. Great benefits.

Cons

Management doesn't always hear the 'small' guys. They are all about the nurses and the main staff to take care of the residents, but don't seem to care much about the other random employees they have. Pay was just ok.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are paying attention to all of your teams/employees. Some suffer in silence and you are losing a lot of good talent because of over-worked and under-appreciated staff.

"Manager - Health Care"

Former Employee - Health Care in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Health Care in Springfield, VA

Pros

Most of the employees sincerely care about working with a geriatric population. The mid and lower level employees in most departments work extremely hard - security, dining, nursing, rehab. Benefits are good, but used to be better.

Cons

Salaries at the community level have always been low and turnover is generally high because good employees will find a better job. The company that took over Erickson after the bankruptcy is all about the bottom line, i.e. making money for corporate executives. They changed their 100% refundable deposit to 90%, they've cut services to residents, decreased staff, existing staff expected to work 10-12 hours a day, and the end result is the quality of care to residents decreased dramatically. Culture, mission, values are a joke.

Advice to Management

The employees at the community level should be paid more competitively and treated respectfully. Staffing ratios need to be increased. Taking care of the residents should be a priority, not corporate profits. If you take good care of the employees, they'll take good care of the residents.

7. "Wait Staff"

Current Employee - Wait Staff in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Erickson Living part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This place is very heart warming full of senior citizens that deserve the best. Erickson living also supports the good right to the senior citizens allowing them to get respect

Cons

I wished Erickoson living payed more for other services like wait staff because a lot of STUDENTS get paid less then what they deserve

Advice to Management

I would advice them management to pay more attention the needs of the workers and/or staff especially when theirs a complaint

8. "Greensprings - Restaurant Associate (springfield)"

Former Employee - Dietary Aide in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Dietary Aide in Springfield, VA

I worked at Erickson Living part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved my co-workers and some of my managers. The rest I cannot say anything positive about them

Cons

My hours, my hours, my hours. This is why I left because I wouldn't have. They cut my hours and I tried to get some more but the scheduler/manager didn't really feel like it.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the hardworking employees who want to work with Erickson Living for a longer time unless of course y'all decide to cut hours and makes things unstable for us.

9. "Good Experience For First Job"

Current Employee - Wait Staff in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Erickson Living part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous company that offered great scholarship opportunities and bonuses. Better than minimal wage as wait staff starts with a salary about a dollar above minimum wage (because there aren't any tips)... I've really learned a lot from my time at Erickson and feel like it has prepared me well for future jobs.

Cons

Raises are only in increments of about 35 cents no matter how well the employee does. The hours are kind of a pain because the restaurant is only open from 4-6 (the cafe is open all day though) so if you want lots of hours this probably shouldn't be your first choice.

Advice to Management

Participate more with lower staff and try to make the company better. Only one of the four managers I have had actively participated in the company and gave the impression that he truly cared, the other three were just there and did not have much of an impact in my opinion.

"My supervisor verbally abused me and threatened me. Erickson's response? Make my life miserable until I quit."

Former Employee - Communications Specialist (Front Desk) in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist (Front Desk) in Springfield, VA

I worked at Erickson Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Residents. Co workers. Food. Dinner. Days off. Double time and a half.
    Resident's family.
    Lunch.
    Campus.
    Residents.

Cons

Mean spirited. I have nothing nice to say, I should have sued them. I DID report them.
    Gossipy.
    Poor management.
    Horrible HR
    Discriminating

11. "Server at Greensprings Village"

Current Employee - Dining Services in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Dining Services in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Erickson Living part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provide fairly great training, the hours are flexible so its a great job for a college student or high school student, If required hours and good grades are kept in school than scholarship opportunities are available

Cons

Management does tend to have favorites