Ericsson-Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

5,398 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

"Ericsson"

I worked at Ericsson-Worldwide full-time

Pros

People, Location, Benefits, Opportunities, & Perks

Cons

Can not think of any.

"Watch out for bad managers at Ericsson"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Plano, TX

Pros

Ericsson Europe is team-oriented and fun to work at, although it is quite bureaucratic. Health benefits are quite good although Ericsson U.S. has becoming gradually worse in terms of health benefits.

The engineers are usually very dedicated and fun to work with. The management is sometimes NOT.

Cons

Ericsson U.S. is unstable. The jobs keep moving back and forth between U.S. and Canada, and they keep closing down offices and opening new offices, so you have to live out of your suitcase.

The stock price is bad and it keeps crawling up and then again takes a plunge. The stock price is far from its height in 2001. Year 2002 the company was near bankruptcy and managed to survive by borrowing money from its employees through a stock offer plan.

The management teams in Ericsson U.S. are the worst ever. They keep putting people fresh off the boat in management positions and let them run their teams like a sweat shop in Mumbai. They suck the life out of you and work you to death and the pay is outrageously low.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with your employees and get to know them and make them feel good and they'll do a better job for you. Treat your engineers like expendable slaves and they'll leave you the first chance they get and you'll end up with mostly second rate, bottom of the scale, engineers.

This is exactly what has been happening in some Ericsson offices in U.S.

"If you are looking for a job in a telecom vendor join huawei or NSN.... NO to Ericsson"

Current Employee - Service Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Service Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Its my first job, I was fascinated by the name of the company.... My thoughts have led me to a disaster. thing of good is not acceptable over here. My friends laugh at my misery. This is my last day at Ericsson, at last I am again living in the free world....I always think why I had ever joined ericsson when there were so many other opportunities. Let me tell you that I now have a job with a salary 100% more than that I was getting in Ericsson. My advice to all is No to Ericsson, Yes to any other company else than ericsson.............

Cons

The management is highly incompetent. Nothing is good over here. Work environment is rubbish. Promotions are like having two moons in the sky and if you manage to go to MARS the management would be willing to give you a promotion to pluto. Annual pay rise is less than 20% officially, actual is 3%. Achievements of any sort are discouraged. Performance awards are always for the Management (For keeping the Modern slaves tied up). An important point to note is that no one is willing to join yet people leave in dozens. Trainings are simply not available and if you still manage to get some training out of ericsson you would be bonded for one and a half year, i.e., you can't leave........

Advice to Management

They all should resign...

"Don't work for Ericsson!"

Current Employee - Front Office Engineer in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Front Office Engineer in Plano, TX

Pros

Pay is good and I enjoy the people I work with (except management)

Cons

Managment motivates people by using threats of firing for misstakes. They fire some of their best talent for simple misstakes. They threatened to fire employees in their Front Office for using the name Alltel instead of Verizon in email correspondence once Alltel and Verizon merged. This is while former Alltel employees were still using Alltel in their correspondence.

Advice to Management

Motivtate people using incentives instead of threats. Help people to come up with solutions instead of holding their job over their heads. A solution keeps the problem from happening agian. Firing someone just creates the need to replace an experienced employee with someone inexperienced in Ericsson solutions. This will hurt customer service.

"Beware If You're Only an Office Temp!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Nice staff, good hourly rate, flexibility in work schedules and time off, short commute, weekly Friday snack fest called "Fika."

Cons

My view as a temp administrative assistant, not management.: No comprehensive training, organization, clarity or direction provided. Lots of downtime between tasks. Long hours expected of you. Painfuly slow onboarding process for laptop, id badges. (You're expected to bring in your own laptop to do work if one is not ready for you???) No office manager to manage office. Obtaining basic office supplies (highlighters, pens, notepads, file folders) required an act of God. (they're locked in a storage cabinet due to supplies mysteriously disappearing.)

Advice to Management

Treat temps with respect and dignity! Provide comprehensive training, clarity and direction. Improve onboarding process. Provide more cubicle space.

"Working at Ericsson Services Inc."

Former Employee - Manager, Network Engineering in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager, Network Engineering in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I came to Ericsson in the deal between Sprint and Ericsson that sent 6,000 operations employees from Sprint to Ericsson. I was happy my pay didn't change and the benefits were comparable to Sprint's.

Cons

My ability to retire in a comfortable fashion is important, and Ericsson doesn't have a 401k match as I was used to when working at Sprint.

Advice to Management

It may be useful for Ericsson management to implement independent performance reporting for the various departments within the company. Independent reporting increases the likelihood leaders and decision makers get a more complete view as they attempt to run the business.

"One of the Worst Companies in Silicon Valley"

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

Pros

Health Insurance is good
    Work life balance

Cons

Senior Management is completely incompetent
    Favoritism towards Swedish Employees
    Do not understand Silicon Valley or American Capitalism
    Treatment of Engineers is very very poor

Advice to Management

Please hire people who understand the business
    To be successful in Silicon Valley you need to understand the Silicon Valley culture and capitalism

"Terrible place to work due to leadership ineptitude"

Current Employee - Technical Sales Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

Great Benefits.
    Talented people in the technical ranks.

Cons

Only a quarter of bad revenues will lead to a layoff.
    US senior management doesn't have a clue.

Advice to Management

Listen to your rank and file.

"Company for retirement life"

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Ericsson-Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefit and light workload

Cons

Socialist system and networking plays a big role.

"Ericsson San Jose - A paradise for politicians and slackers"

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Ericsson-Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, including health care, matching 401K, PTO etc. In the right group and under right manager, great work-life balance. For some 9-5 can be a great life

Cons

I work in Ericsson San Jose, which used to be Redback Networks until 2007. Just about all of the original management and most of the key contributors were chased out over the last several years. Most of the senior management was brought over from Ericsson in Sweden and other places. A great premium is paid for conformity and compliance with the "Ericsson Way". The place is run like a bureaucracy and even senior technical managers are essentially allowed to work no more than as "administrators".

Right politics with HQ in Sweden trumps skills and hard work. Great deal of "us vs. them" adversarial culture. Executive management is essentially in an echo chamber with almost no first hand feel for what is going on at the troop level. It is customary to "dummy down" what is presented to the top management in San Jose and above that in Sweden.

With P&L converging at company's president level (there are no GMs at VP or director levels), the governance structure is like a rats nest. Engineering and marketing operate as arch nemesis and none has incentive to cooperate. For operational management and governance, there is a hierarchy of "support" groups which end up acting as data collectors for the executive management. With executive management out of touch, this opens doors for mismanagement and what can be best described as graft.

A company next door reportedly had resume from more than 50% of the Ericsson San Jose employees. This is not a typo or exaggeration.

A career quagmire for skilled ambitious types.

Advice to Management

According to a leading management consultancy firm, the #1 reason for an acquisition's failure is the acquiring company's management weakness in not dealing with the integration issues in a timely manner.

Showing 5,398 of 5,896 reviews