Eschenbach Optik of America Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 31, 2017

2.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Eschenbach Optik of America is a solid company to work for and partner with"

Current Employee - Marketing in Danbury, CT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Danbury, CT

I have been working at Eschenbach Optik of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The sales team members in this company are trained well and extremely knowledgable on the products/services they offer. The customer service representatives are truly patient and considerate with all customers, offering full-service solutions to everyone who needs it. Working at Eschenbach has been a rewarding experience because of its friendly environment and dedicated employees who are willing to help one another achieve success.

Cons

Because Eschenbach is a smaller sized company, some departments are short handed and there is no shortage of work to be done.

2. "Don't trust anybody in this company. Cut throat pigs in every department!"

I worked at Eschenbach Optik of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will for sure help accounts and their patients/clients. You will fee like your special for doing that.

Cons

Everything is done so management can show it to corporate in Germany and tell them how wonderful they are and be allowed to keep the franchise. So much administrative work and games by two faced pigs!

Advice to Management

It's not a sports team and it's not the military. Grow up!

3. "High burnout rate because it basically sucks"

I worked at Eschenbach Optik of America full-time

Pros

Customers are fun, expenses are paid properly, overall the people at the company are nice.

Cons

away 75% of the time for a below 6-figure job
    your boss is a former accountant who has no experience selling in the real world
    this is easily a 80+ hour work week with zero regard for safety of the employees which is evident by the expense guidelines
    -whoever wrote on a review that there is ample opportunity to make $$ is probably the CEO himself because really - no seasoned salesperson is interested in busting their butt for a contest to make an extra $100
    there's virtually no cheerleading from management and a fair amount of beratement

You are just a number, they do not care about you, your boss cares more about you filling your "coloring book" aka calendar to make sure it looks good on paper versus actually selling anything. It's not a good job.

Advice to Management

If you want talent you're going to have to pay for it and at least act like you give a crap about the fact that your employees are traveling in their cars at least 6 hours/day. With their own vehicles. Pay for performance, this isn't 1982 - and hire a real sales manager not an optician or bean counter.

4. "Satisfied Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Danbury, CT
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Danbury, CT

I have been working at Eschenbach Optik of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a Territory Manager, I find that I am given a great deal of independence to achieve my goals. Yes, the job requires travel, but I knew that when I accepted the job. Everything management represented to me about the job was "spot on". The compensation plan is very straightforward - sell more and make more. In addition to commissions, there are ample opportunities to earn extra $$ through incentives and bonuses. Product line is very good and new products are always coming out! This is the first sales job I've had where 1. I know how my commission is calculated, and 2. I am given more information about sales in my territory than I have time to read.

Cons

Some aspects of product line need attention. Need new video supplier. This job is not for the salesperson who "wants to be left alone" to "do things 'my' way". Management runs a "tight ship" here. There is no time here to "coast". Management is always implementing some new type of selling initiative in hopes of increasing sales.

Advice to Management

Continue to do things to make it possible for sales people to make more money. Definitely try to advertise to consumers. The market needs more consumer demand to grow.

"Falling behind - No Professional Sales or Marketing personnel involved in Management"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Eschenbach Optik of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to be away from home 75% of the time, this is the company job for you.

Cons

The company is under the thumb of 1 bean counter that has little to offer as a manager of people and even less understanding of sales. The sales knowledge of the people in charge is truly sub-par and mostly academic in nature. The professional members of the sales team are constantly berated and treated as though they are the ones causing the company to slide. Actual quote from management at a sales meeting, "What we're doing isn't working so to figure out why, we're bringing in a statistical consultant." The big idea at this sales meeting; accounting for all activity every minute of every day with more reporting requirements.

Advice to Management

Stop with the statistical analysis, you're in a people business. That's why your equations and math aren't adding up in the real world. The good years were despite your sales management skills, your team-building is nonexistent and management style is oppressive. Focus on keeping up with the Industry, we'll continue to carry you along.