Escher Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Liam Church

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good family style business"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Escher does a very good job caring and providing for its employees from benefits to tools and R+D projects.

Cons

Its a small family style business which limits some traditional growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the decision making team and establish a timeline for product strategies to determine the quality of the strategy. Here is to continued success at Escher.

2. "Decent Benefit/lacks Leadership listening Skills"

I worked at Escher Group full-time

Pros

Company has a pretty strong health Insurance and PTO program in place, which can provide some stability and flexibility

Cons

The top management team seems to be a bit self-centered and I did not get a sense that they valued nor welcome the input of others-- particular those not in management. This is a pity because they could get quite a bit of insight into the future markets and technology trends that they may not be considering by listening to others, particular those different generations, and cultures within their global teams.

Advice to Management

See my cons. Advice would be to collaborate more with your global teams and to take their feedback and advice, and build a more collaborative model even if teams are in different locations. Listen to everyone's input to build it into R&D, new technology, new business processes, and to enter new markets.

"Love my job"

I have been working at Escher Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse staff from all over the world.
    Smart, exceptional people.
    Technology that is future-facing.
    Tremendous potential for growth

Cons

This isn't a con for me but it may be for some. Escher is fast-paced. People who thrive here are self-starters, driven and want to create and build something in their position. This is not a company for those who want micromanaged tasks everyday. One is basically hitting the ground running on the first day. The greatest aspect of Escher is that one is only limited to one's own efforts, or lack thereof. I've found (consistently) that new ideas are well received. If you're a spark (strong starter and a go-getter) this is the place for you. It's hard work and that's why it isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

I've had excellent interaction with executives at Escher. I've enjoyed working for them and I've found that senior management extremely pleasant and welcoming. I also find them very customer-focused and personable. They also treat their staff to really nice events. I've worked at Escher for a few years and it keeps getting better.

4. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at Escher Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are great, the working environment is great, the employees are friendly and helpful. The salary is what I expected to earn.

Cons

Sometimes the hours are long.

5. "Poorly managed"

I worked at Escher Group full-time

Pros

As a developer you learn how an enterprise application is evolved over time.

Cons

What others have said is by large true. The company lacks culture and communication.

"Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Escher Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Nice people to work with
    - Fairly relaxed except when demos are needed
    - City center location

Cons

- Development is completely siloed
    - No direction in the company
    - Management/Sales is pretty wack

"Good experience"

I have been working at Escher Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't understand the negative reviews, I have been here for about a year and have had a really positive experience.
    The location is great, I work with really nice people, and there are good perks and good salary. I get on really well with my line manager. I don't really deal with senior management very much, and I feel there are good opportunities for me to progress. Also the Friday lunch is always good, there is a fridge with free soft drinks, cereals and fruit, tea and coffee in the morning.
    Its quite a relaxed place, not like previous companies I have worked for where you are monitored every minute of the day.It's a small enough place that you get to know everyone pretty well, and there's a good mix of ages working here, we had a company day out recently it was great fun!

Cons

It can be a bit quiet in the office at times, if you are used to a busy bustling workplace it takes a bit of getting used to, but its good that you can stick in your headphones and get on with your work.
    Like previous reviews have said, it has probably changed quite a bit from a few years ago - there's now a HR function, and a new CFO so I'd say things are moving in the right direction. Maybe a few people have had bad experiences, but I feel there is a good atmosphere.

8. "Excellent company to work for. Don't understand the bad reviews. Management must have changed a lot recently"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Escher Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company must have changed tack since I started working here in September, or the other reviews are simply unfair, because I haven't seen any of the negative stuff mentioned, beyond normal workplace stress.

- Interesting projects to work on with lots of scope to make decisions
    - Lots of great new products, markets, and projects in the pipeline
    - Friendly and supportive teams
    - Excellent management with no micro management
    - Great new HR team
    - The free Friday lunch and great location, of course
    - Work life balance is appreciated by everyone, especially senior management

Cons

- The lack of parking
    - Some departments are siloed, but that seems to be changing

Advice to Management

Continue current strategy
    Break down departmental silos

"Avoid Working Here At All Costs"

I worked at Escher Group full-time

Pros

The individual contributors are smart, hard working technical specialists who just get on with their work under very difficult circumstances. Invariable helpful and willing.

Cons

Not so much a company as a lifestyle business for two or three individual senior managers who appear to keep the culture this way to remain employed by the board since they would not be accepted as employees in other companies. Culture of blame, bullying, unclear expectation setting and absolutely no communication between managers. The product development begins with an idea from the CEO and is never communicated to the team asked to sell/deliver it so the strategy and services are poorly understood or described. The technology has potential but this is systematically killed off by the inability of the management team to set direction and communicate strategy. Just look at the attrition rate of smart/proven professionals who have left this organisation.

Advice to Management

I agree with an earlier comment - my only advice would be to retire and have the Board appoint leaders in Product Development and Sales and Marketing and completely remove the blame and bullying culture that exists in favour of one that can attract and retain talent....I don't think this will happen as it is a lifestyle business for a few so no vested interest.

"Horrible bosses"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Escher Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

City centre location, buffet lunch on Fridays, smart talented workforce

Cons

The majority of the executives are beyond obnoxious. The only time they interact with staff is when something goes wrong, even then they mostly shout and accuse people of making excuses. Managers with over 10 years service are scolded and talked down to like children on a regular basis. The mood in the office is completely different when the execs in question are not there. Depending in which floor/department you work, you may be shielded from them - I was not. There are also no Human Resources employees on staff.

Advice to Management

Completely change your approach to people management or retire.