Esri Reviews | Glassdoor

Esri President Jack Dangermond
Jack Dangermond

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • average salary, not a great career path of upward mobility (in 30 reviews)

• No career growth unless you chart your own course (in 18 reviews)

"Ok for awhile."

Former Employee - Developer in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice campus, good benefits, nice people. Working for an environmentally proactive company. Flexible hours.

Cons

Poor pay, raises.
    Project Managers with no technical experience in charge of technical projects. For me at least.
    Redlands.
    Stuck in same job for the entire time.

Oct 11, 2017 – Esri

Thank you for your 10 + years of contributions. We wish you the best in your next endeavor.

"Product engineer"

Former Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best company working on geographic information all over the world

Cons

Low payment so people get in and out fast. A lot of people are got paid but doing nothing.

Advice to Management

Lacks of assessment and management over employees

"Not so great"

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great library and nice grounds to walk on. Great peers to work with and very knowledgeable on technical issues. Good cafeteria

Cons

No flex time and abusive managers make Esri and second rate company for any technical professional to work at. A lot of clock watchers and folks who disappear from 12 to 3 everyday.

Advice to Management

Become more progressive.

Aug 3, 2017 – Esri

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing issues. We definitely want to help and strongly encourage you to reach out to your HR business partner. Thank you.

"No innovation"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co workers were friendly
    Nice cafeteria
    Treed campus provides need shade in 115 + degrees summers
    Adequate parking for all buildings

Cons

Management is only interested in milking current product
    Lack of innovation
    No female leadership in higher management: old boys club

Advice to Management

None. They won't listen to anyone

"Not so great!"

Current Employee - Editor in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Editor in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus, cafe, nice buildings.The employees are friendly and fantastic!

Cons

Uncomfortable offices and chairs; no room for growth; increases are minimal (at best); HR is invisible when you need them; weather is too hot; Redlands is too expensive to live in; managers could improve on their employee skills; communication is nonexistent; always stuck with nowhere to turn; do not look here for a good job.

Advice to Management

Hire managers based on their experience, understanding, and necessary employee skills; hire within; get somebody employees can trust; increases should be based on skill, dependability, reliability, and job duties, not just position. HR has no employee relations and should be replaced. Some are not given their federal and state rights, but are just denied outright.

"Disappointing Work Culture"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance is phenomenal. Medical Benefits, Dental Benefits, Vision Benefits, and 401K plan are top notch. It's a very stable job.

Cons

Pay is way below national standards; for a billion dollar company, you'd think they would pay their employees more. Management is horrid.

Advice to Management

If there's one problem with Esri it is management and the enormous egos fighting for power wherever they can get it. From the onset, it seems like the perfect company to work for: great benefits, managers and leads are flexible with work hours (within reason), and the work they do is actually really good for the world. As I got to work on more and more projects, I was astounded at how petty people could be, especially when it came down to office politics. Though most managers tend to keep their negative comments about other employees on other teams behind closed doors, I've been witness to hearing appalling statements that should be kept out of a professional workplace. It's really astounding and extremely disappointing that such a great company can employ terrible people.

For the most part, I would like to say the non-management employees are great people. They're extremely hard working and dedicated to what they do despite the constant roadblocks they face because of managers who try and assert their power over the decision making despite not knowing the full background of certain projects. You may think that they should, but they don't. There's a lot of blind trust that managers expect from their employees.

"Graphic Designer"

Former Contractor - Senior Graphic Designer in Redlands, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Graphic Designer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of great people to work with in the graphic dept.

Cons

Shoddy treatment of contract staff. I was hired as a contract to hire position. After a year (the maximum time for a contractor) I was dismissed without a reason.

Advice to Management

Honesty is the best policy

"Low Salary"

Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri (More than a year)

Pros

Redlands is a nice place to live

Cons

No motivation, Bossy manager and bad team members who like to play politics behind back.

"Revolving door strategy with no guidance to back it up"

Former Employee - Retail Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Retail Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Esri full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free healthcare which can be a big deal for families. The profit sharing was decent since it went into the 401K annually, along with matching. The technology is very interesting and relevant in a lot of ways that impact our daily lives.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive whatsoever as they're related to other software sales jobs, Esri employees are competing against traditional sales organizations with highly motivated and compensated reps. Esri pays hourly and does not have a bonus or compensation structure.

Strategy within the commercial space has rotated on a 9-12 month cycle for years and the lack of consistency has impacted any attempt at finding strengths and capitalizing on them in a very competitive market.

Esri's philosophy is that the software is important and it will sell itself as a result. Because of this, any market intelligence or awareness is generated on the fly by the sales staff learning as they go.

Leadership has a lot of experience in traditional GIS technology, but has little savvy when it comes to running a sales organization. Expectations are also seemingly poorly thought out, with little apparent feedback or consideration from actual market conditions.

Apr 28, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to provide your thoughts. We agree – our benefits are great! Esri’s philosophy is to enable our customers to be wildly successful in how they apply geographic methods to... More

"Unlike anything else"

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

ESRI is a very unique company in all aspects of how they conduct business, manage employees and bring products to market. This is a positive if you are interested in staying away from the traditional corporate culture.

Cons

The company lacks serious management talent. Most of the management team has no experience and they are simply followers rather than leaders. It's never really clear where things originated from or why we are doing something. I have never seen anything like this before. It's quite interesting to see how something as simple as a news article or buzzword drives the entire direction of the company. It's scary and alarming, and most of all, it's a big distraction for sales and marketing and product development.

Advice to Management

Bring in a consultant to train management on how to be real leaders. Being a leader isn't about regurtading what your peers are already saying - it's about inpiring action and achieving real outcomes.