Esri Reviews | Glassdoor

Esri President Jack Dangermond
Jack Dangermond

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • average salary, not a great career path of upward mobility (in 30 reviews)

• No career growth unless you chart your own course (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An outstanding company that supports its employees"

Current Employee - Lead Product Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* Astonishing benefits package, including generous medical, dental, and vision, and a profit sharing boost to your 401k.
    * A CEO that genuinely seems to care about his employees being successful, and realizes that employee success is directly tied to his company's success
    * Progressive attitudes towards changes in the company which result in better results for everybody.
    * Innovative leadership.
    * Direct recognition of progress tied to your compensation, including raises through tough global economic times.
    * Many employees get closed offices, even those not in management.
    * Despite being a mid-sized company, it feels like we have a huge impact on the world and do real good.

Cons

* It can be challenging to have career mobility depending on the department that you start in.
    * As a result of management siloing internally, experiences can vary wildly depending on which team you end up in, even within the same departments.
    * Despite being a mid-sized company, it can feel huge and it's easy to get lost in the shuffle.
    * Advancement can require you to be a strong advocate for yourself since products are prioritized heavily.
    * Software development can be a stressful job (anywhere).

Advice to Management

Continue engaging with employees and break down the chain of command to reach top to bottom and get a more accurate 360 view of everything that's happening internally. It can lead to great ideas spreading throughout the company.

Oct 11, 2017 – Esri

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and recognizing the reasons why Esri is such a great place to work! We also appreciate your constructive feedback and the advice you've provided... More

2. "Web Development"

I worked at Esri as an intern

Pros

Amazing Mentorship, lot of exposure

Cons

nothing that I can think of!

3. "Very Successful Company with Very Happy Employees"

Former Employee - Agriculture Data Scientist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Agriculture Data Scientist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ESRI is a very stable company that is highly respected in the Industry. Cutting edge in Geospatial Technology. I was based in St Louis/St Charles Office, and loved every colleagues I had, and still stay in touch with them. Also, the colleagues and managers at Redlands office are amazing. I can say - ESRI employees are very happy.

Cons

If you are in Sales/Support, then being in any offices across USA will work perfectly fine. However, if you are a Data Scientist (like me), then being in Redlands is a huge plus because almost all Software Development happens in Redlands. My role was Agriculture Data Scientist and targeted to consult Ag clients. It was a bad timing that most Ag companies were undergoing mergers and acquisitions and there were only few with business account which I used to consult the Ag Clients, I did free work for some of our clients but that approach is not sustainable in long run. Thus, I left ESRI and came back to my previous employer.
    ESRI has huge client base, so it is beneficial if one can take a role to serve different clientele sides and be very productive (which i failed to do, and regret as well).

Advice to Management

I did not have much exposure to Redlands office and management, so dont have much to say. I was very impressed with the Professional Services Division Director and senior managers in different functions - Keep up with the good work.

Dec 6, 2017 – Esri

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We wish you much success in your new role!

4. "Internship Program"

I worked at Esri as an intern

Pros

-great people
    -excellent work experience if you get a good mentor
    -good pay, especially if you don't have a technical background
    -really good internship, they are doing a lot to strengthen the program as a whole as well
    -cool campus
    -can explore the SoCal area easily by train

Cons

-Redlands weather
    -hackathon leaves something to be desired

Advice to Management

-value your younger employees more; I felt that some of the newer full-time employees felt under satisfied

"Great place to work at"

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

Exciting new technology every single day

Cons

Not much room for growth

6. "Software Development Engineer Intern"

I worked at Esri as an intern

Pros

Interesting work, excellent work-life balance, great pay, amazing coworkers, great location (Arlington, VA), projects that you can really invest yourself into, stable company with steady growth

Cons

Sometimes it is a hassle not working at the Redlands HQ, IT department is slow and ineffective, sometimes my boss was so busy it was hard to get good feedback from him

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I feel like engineers are given the space they need to work on the project at hand and develope some prototype side-projects as well. I never felt restrained by management. By far the most interesting internship I've ever had--I really felt like a full-time employee, and I'll be returning as one after I graduate!

7. "Amazing COmpany"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Flexible work hours, Amazing staff, Free Coffee, Sick and Vacation Time, Amazing mission, Outstanding CEO, ability to work up the ladder

Cons

Nothing comes to my mind...

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing!

Oct 11, 2017 – Esri

It's awesome to hear things are going so well for you! You're working with a great team that is an important part of Esri's mission.

8. "Technical Support"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Esri as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment with great potential for growth. Much of the duties were working with the analysts to solve the issues submitted. NOT A CALL CENTER. Very collaborative environment with great comradery.

Cons

None that I can think of at the moment

"Great Company Overall"

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance.
    Great office and campus.
    Great co-workers.
    Good learning support.

Cons

Location.
    Less career opportunity.
    Technology is less new.

10. "So far so good. Loving it so far"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, ME

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked here around 2 years now. So far I have loved the team and projects we've been working on. The benefits are great. I really enjoy the training and classes offered. I feel that Esri tries very hard to treat it's employees very well and offer them chances to succeed.

Cons

Esri covers so many different fields there is a lot of overlap in the implementations that different teams come up with. There can also be some politics between teams which is unnecessary.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Try and facilitate cross-team sharing.

Oct 11, 2017 – Esri

We're so happy to hear you're having a great #esriexperience! Thank you for your contributions.