Esri Reviews | Glassdoor

Esri President Jack Dangermond
Jack Dangermond

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • average salary, not a great career path of upward mobility (in 30 reviews)

• No career growth unless you chart your own course (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An outstanding company that supports its employees"

Current Employee - Lead Product Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* Astonishing benefits package, including generous medical, dental, and vision, and a profit sharing boost to your 401k.
    * A CEO that genuinely seems to care about his employees being successful, and realizes that employee success is directly tied to his company's success
    * Progressive attitudes towards changes in the company which result in better results for everybody.
    * Innovative leadership.
    * Direct recognition of progress tied to your compensation, including raises through tough global economic times.
    * Many employees get closed offices, even those not in management.
    * Despite being a mid-sized company, it feels like we have a huge impact on the world and do real good.

Cons

* It can be challenging to have career mobility depending on the department that you start in.
    * As a result of management siloing internally, experiences can vary wildly depending on which team you end up in, even within the same departments.
    * Despite being a mid-sized company, it can feel huge and it's easy to get lost in the shuffle.
    * Advancement can require you to be a strong advocate for yourself since products are prioritized heavily.
    * Software development can be a stressful job (anywhere).

Advice to Management

Continue engaging with employees and break down the chain of command to reach top to bottom and get a more accurate 360 view of everything that's happening internally. It can lead to great ideas spreading throughout the company.

Esri Response

Oct 11, 2017 – Esri

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and recognizing the reasons why Esri is such a great place to work! We also appreciate your constructive feedback and the advice you've provided... More

2. "Best place that I have ever worked."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

Pros

Exciting work, really smart people, amazing challenges. I really like the campus environment, and the chance to make a difference in the world.

Cons

ESRI becomes all consuming. It is hard to leave work at the office, and go home. The compensation system is generous, and encourages people to stay late and keep working. I have put in 100 weeks there fairly often.

Advice to Management

We need new management at the Cafe. The food is rather uninspired.
    We need more office space to keep up with the growth.
    We don't need to be such a bunch of tree huggers. There are other ways of helping the world.
    We really need to have a better work/life balance ethic.

3. "Excellent workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

Pros

This is the most interesting place I've worked in my career. There's a lot of satisfaction in the work itself. The medical and dental insurance premiums are 100% paid for by the company.

Cons

Salary is not commensurate with comparable jobs at the same experience level in large cities.

Advice to Management

Think about how to attract and retain employees in an era of rising expenses. Otherwise, leadership is outstanding.

4. "Great environment, surrounded by great and smart people"

Current Employee - Software Products in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Software Products in Redlands, CA

Pros

It's a great opportunity to grow and to enhance your skills. There are always someone there to help you.

Cons

Nothing really. Everything is great.

Advice to Management

To listen to your employees' opinion into account

"Fantastic place for a life-long career."

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

Pros

I work with a great team of people and have a lot of respect for my immediate manager. I am never micro-managed, instead my boss spends most of his time running interference for his staff so that we can get our jobs done without endless uninterruptions. I'm given continual opportunities to learn & excel at what I do best and I've always received good recognition for my contributions. ESRI is a real family too. It is a very tight community - I've made some of my best friends in the years I've been with them. There is also good opportunities to move around within the company - most jobs are good jumping-off points to other positions.

Cons

The expectation that you'll work overtime, all the time. When you are hired you are told that your quoted salary is based on a 45-hour week. ESRI is also chronically under-staffed. I'd estimate that Development and Software Products could double their staff and still not complete all the work we have before us. We have to work with very unrealistic development timelines which are compiled by senior management who appear, some of the time, to be completely out of touch with what is acheivable in the real world. There are no performance-based bonuses and the vacation time and sick time are fairly mediocre. After you've worked there for 10 years your vacation maxes out at 4 weeks and there isn't much more to look forward to except your 'yeah you lasted 20 years' dinner with Jack.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Communication between senior management staff could improve - it seems sometimes that there are wierd power-struggles (almost like sibling rivalry) that do not do anyone any good. Sr. management could also work on their communication skills with the rest of the company, and do something about scaling back some of the new development work so that we could release software that didn't immediately require a huge service pack.

6. "ESRI, where you want to be."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Johnstown, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Johnstown, PA

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in. Company is very flexible with working hours. Benefits package is awesome, much better than any other package for any other company I've worked for. Compensation is on or above par for similar work at other companies. The employee morale is second to none compared to other places I've worked. Everyone is extremely friendly and willing to help out in any way they can. ESRI is also very flexible when it comes to taking a day off or working from home for a day or so if need be. ESRI also does a great job in making sure that employees are kept up to date by sending them to training.

Cons

Working in a satellite office, it is sometimes difficult to feel as much a part of the ESRI workforce as would be if working in the Redlands office. It seems that the company is moving more towards a goals oriented form of performance review which I'm not too keen on. I would rather get evaluated on my performance throughout the year than get evaluated on whether or not I accomplished some goal that may or may not be directly related to the work I've been doing. I sometimes get the feeling that it is almost 'mandatory' to work 45 hours a week rather than the normal 40, but we do get paid hourly, so that's not a huge problem.

Advice to Management

They are doing a great job. 40 years and all liquid, must be doing something right.

"Love what we do at ESRI, great place to work, great town to live in."

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

Pros

Relaxed, dynamic environment. Muticultural and friendly. You can be very creative. To be on the cutting edge of technology we have the latest in hardware and software, there is ample opportunity for continued learning, either through courses or reimbursed tuition fees. We have a really good medical care plan and 401k. The company contributes 50cents to the dollar up to 6% of your salary. Jack Dangermond I feel is a very driven man, strives not only for the company, but his employees and I am proud to work for him. The best thing about ESRI is that it is privately owned and not affected by being publicly floated on the sharemarket.

Cons

there are some people there that just turn up for a paycheck, are lazy and don't add content. Its hard to get rid of them. Not many, but a few. There is no onsite childcare. You have to be very self reliant, a self starter and for those that aren't like that there will be a long period of isolation. Not in every case, but due to a lack of real manager direction for the most part, you are left to decide what you should be doing. Not the style I am accustomed to, but gives me ample opportunity to be creative.

Advice to Management

More direction, more feedback as to how we are doing in the market place. Staff need a way to give reviews of their managers because some couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag. I was on a team where I felt very frustrated as the management style was basically non existent. I could do what ever I wanted and as long as I looked busy that was good enough. I didn't this as I want to add content to the product, feel a sense of achievement and gain experience that I could take away with me if and when I leave.

"Good place for people who love challenges and don't like doing the same thing year after year."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Redlands, CA

Pros

The PEOPLE - very motivated, interesting, educated people. You get to work with the brightest minds in the GIS field from all over the world.
    Lots of challenging projects, and the abiltiy to move to different projects.
    ESRI gives $3000/year education benefits to everyone, plus they give several full scholarships to Univ. of Redlands every year through a competition.

Cons

Can be chaotic. Managers often change the goals in the middle of projects.
    You may have to work a lot of overtime, so it's no place for slackers.
    Communication between departments is lacking. Sometimes you find out that another department is doing exactly the same project you are doing. Each department acts like an independent company, sometimes competing with each other.

Advice to Management

Don't let ESRI lose its dynamic startup qualities. It doesn't need to become so corporate, just because it's getting bigger.

"Fair assessment"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

Pros

Flexible hours. Pay is hourly, so you're paid for what you work. Employees in most groups have individual offices. Technical support went to pods just last year. Most development teams allow members a lot of leeway in how to do the work.

Cons

Some managers / HR appear to overreact. Possibly due to some bad apples previously, but give us the benefit of a doubt. Some managers play favorites, whether they realize it or not, which is unfair to all concerned. "Policies" are haphazardly followed. It's all in who you work for or know.

Advice to Management

Have a real "anonymous" suggestion box. Yes, we know you can track us back. Managers: take a good hard look at whether you treat team members differently: based on education, age, looks, citizenship, etc.

10. "Great Internship Experience"

Current Employee - Intern in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful campus, great people to work with.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

None