Esri Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Esri President Jack Dangermond
Jack Dangermond

Pros
  • Esri has excellent work-life balance - flexible hours, work from home - just deliver results (in 40 reviews)

• Good company to work for, great benefits (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • average salary, not a great career path of upward mobility (in 30 reviews)

• No career growth unless you chart your own course (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company"

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

The teams are great and everyone seems committed to the work, the company, and their colleagues. You can volunteer to take on new projects and work with multiple departments to learn new skills.

Cons

It's busy with new projects and changes arising every week. If you aren't flexible or don't want a challenge, this isn't the place for you.

Esri Response

Mar 1, 2017

We agree! It's exciting that we have the opportunity to collaborate with interesting colleagues around the world. Thank you for noting that we can define our own career path by taking on new ... More

"If you know who's who you get somewhere, if you think your experience/dedication/hard work/ethics count, rethink."

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Redlands, CA

Pros

Small town atmosphere, easy place to live in
    A few nice people, alas, not many of them left with the changing culture
    A few departments are okay

Cons

Low pay
    Vague, non-industry standard job descriptions
    Managers change employee job title at their whim
    Transfers impossible unless you know who's who or the president
    Hard work, ethics, diligence not appreciated, need to know someone
    Poor, unfair, untrained managers - managers rule
    Off-site managers know little or nothing
    Managers use reviews as weapons
    Managers charge at will to make up for their low pay
    Bad, untrustworthy human resource managers
    human resource department is only for management

Advice to Management

hijacked by the human resource department, the owner needs to take leadership of his company back before all the principled employees flee

"Moderately better than unemployment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

Pros

It's hard to beat the benefits - 100% medical and dental, a nominal fee for family members on vision, 401k matching and profit sharing.

Cons

The employees aren't trusted, in some departments aren't even allowed to pick their own screensaver. Company culture is supposed to friendly and social, but only a few people are actually allowed to socialize. Ineffectual employees with the right friends are able to blame their failures on others.

"graveyard for IT careers - don't join unless you can't get any other job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

Pros

no lay offs, nice city, career wise and salary wise some departments are better to work for and some positions pay a lot better, but you have to be lucky to get into those positions

Cons

no career growth, no management (personnel or projects). low pay and low raises, employees always complaining about bad pay and raises, being stuck in a dead end job.

Advice to Management

start listening to and caring about employee careers. ESRI is a sinking ship, it might take another 10 years for it to sink completely, but by then it will be too late.

"Good spot out of school but quickly outgrown."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

Pros

Flexibility and lack of stress are good....

Cons

No career path; Tribal; Lack of leadership; Moving closer to a mainstream sales organization without the incentives for staff

"Totally demoralizing, lack of basic human respect from HR"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Southern California. That's about it.

Cons

Cost of living, lack of respect, gestapo HR, or should I say two HR departments. Jack has his 2.2 billion dollars in the bank from the work of the early employees, but he let the gestapo HR destroy the families that made him rich just because they got sick and Jack is self insures his employees. So if you get sick or have a child that gets sick that costs money, you will pay dearly for it. They will terminate your position and put you in a department that you have no experience and will not train you, then HR will rack up the violations.. This my friends, is after a 22 year "perfect record" of employment.

Advice to Management

quit.

"Look elsewhere. This place is a nightmare."

I worked at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology. If you love GIS.
    Nice people (peers)
    Beautiful campus

Cons

Pay absolutely sucks
    (long hours, no overtime rate, 30% below market avrage)
    Zero career growth
    (in fact you may seriously damage to your career if you stay too long)
    HR is actively hostile
    (I've never experienced anything like it - this management style is 100 years old. Fear and intimidation is how you motivate people?! Most of the employees just pray they don't receive a call from HR. Most get do by falling for one of the many traps HR sets such as questioning you about sites you visit even if you do so on your lunch break)
    Micromanagement
    (In fact I have to give Jack some credit here. He has brought micromanagement to an entirely new level, a level I never thought was possible in an organization of this size)

Basically this is just another 3rd tier company. After having worked for some 1st and 2nd tier players I can honestly say I am really glad the ESRI experience is history.

Advice to Management

Wake up

"Bad Management"

Former Employee - Developer in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-The campus is nice, although the buildings feel old and worn.
    -Some intelligent people in the company.

Cons

-The pay is the lowest in the industry and when adjusted for cost of living, the situation is even worse. The company will give all sorts of excuses why the wages are so low.
    -Benefits are terrible for the software industry but management tells you they are great.
    -No room for growth. Management likes to say the company has a flat management style, yet when there is one manager for every three employees I find that hard to believe.
    -Management are clueless. Most managers don't have a clue about anything technology related despite that esri tells us we are a software company.
    -No company anything. Don't expect to be given a free company shirt when you attend the huge user conference in San Diego every year. Don't expect a free drink, meal, or snack. They don't even have band-aids available in the break room. We were told to moderate our use of office supplies, as if using company pens is bankrupting this extremely wealthy company. There is no such thing as a company party or event. Sometimes people through small parties but you have to pay $50 to attend.
    -The founder never shows his face to employees. I have worked at esri for many many years and not once has Jack ever come to a meeting or all hands meeting to address us. I have never seen him in person or the majority of the executive management. What is he so afraid of? That his unhappy employees will tell him how they really feel?
    -Cutting benefits and hours. The company restricts how many hours you can work, you get paid by the hour. And they have changed health insurance to one with much less coverage.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the a lot of the management if you really want to be "flat". Give raises to keep talented people around. The reason your software is full of bugs is because the company is too cheap to keep talented and driven people around. Jack, why are you short changing your employees? We are the lowest paid in the industry and you think that telling us "Thanks for your work" once a year in an email is going to make up for the shitty pay and benefits?

"Product Engineer at ESRI for 4 years"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good source for GIS training.
    Southern California weather.

Cons

Management will bring the company down. It will take time, but it's going to happen. They lack experience and strongly encourage politics at all levels which ultimately hinders the companies performance.

The pay is very low for the computer industry. The benefits are average at best.

The company likes to claim it's a flat organization during the interview process. Do not fall for this tactic. It's a smoke and mirrors technique. The company is riddled with many layers of management. Another tactic during the interview process ESRI likes to use is offering an extremely vague job description. Be cautious about what position you are accepting.

Change within the organization from one group to another is near impossible.

Advice to Management

Upper management just below Jack needs to seriously consider getting a hold of middle and lower management or at least communicating with them. The company will not survive in today's global market space, not with the other big companies now entering the online mapping community.

"Remarkably Bad"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

ESRI used to be a great company. If you are desperate for work, then by all means apply.

Cons

Any honest and meaningful assessment of ESRI on this website (or any website for that matter) will be negative. Any of the positive assessments are 'seeds' planted by either HR and the management for damage control. Look at the frequency of the negative assessments about ESRI on this website and their similarities. Also, pay attention to the level of detail provided in the negative assessments as opposed to the bland 'whitewash' comments of the positive assessments.

I was the fourth person to leave the department in less than 2 years and none of us have been replaced. The work just keeps getting shifted around. Those that remain continue to be overwhelmed and under-appreciated.

Not in a good way - ESRI is a privately-held company that answers to no one.

Advice to Management

Giving any advice to the management at ESRI is the epitome of wasting time.