Esri Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • average salary, not a great career path of upward mobility (in 30 reviews)

• No career growth unless you chart your own course (in 18 reviews)

"Ok for awhile."

Former Employee - Developer in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice campus, good benefits, nice people. Working for an environmentally proactive company. Flexible hours.

Cons

Poor pay, raises.
    Project Managers with no technical experience in charge of technical projects. For me at least.
    Redlands.
    Stuck in same job for the entire time.

Oct 11, 2017 – Esri

Thank you for your 10 + years of contributions. We wish you the best in your next endeavor.

"Easy going culture"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The autonomy is great. We get challenges to accomplish and the latitude to meet them. Nice culture. Easy going.

Cons

Not so much growth room for many. Raises aren't great.

Oct 11, 2017 – Esri

Thank you for your 10+ years with Esri! It's great that you're thinking about advancement and we encourage you to reach out to your HR business partner to discuss opportunities.

"Marketing Coordinator"

I worked at Esri full-time

Pros

Fun environment to be a part of if you are passionate about GIS

Cons

Small, quiet city. Average opportunity

"Product Engineer"

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

Flexible time, Diverse, Great company culture.

Cons

Upper management makes all the decisions.

"Esri"

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

Great benefits, pay and profit sharing

Cons

Hard to change positions

"Great Company Overall"

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance.
    Great office and campus.
    Great co-workers.
    Good learning support.

Cons

Location.
    Less career opportunity.
    Technology is less new.

"It once was a good, innovative company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Medical Benefits, Dental Benefits, Vision Benefits are covered by the company. 401K plan is good. Initially from the outside looking-in, it seems like a great company to work for: great benefits, and the software is used by thousands around the world for many good causes.

Cons

Work Life Balance is may be non-existent depending the on the team or department. The company praises it's "flat organization structure" as a positive, but it actually has causes internal in-fighting and inefficient redundancy. Employees who have been at the company for a longer duration of time, appear to have realized the way to advance their career in a flat organization is to for a new team within the flat, horizontal structure.
    A top, senior director once said to me: "We have a lot of duds that work here."

Advice to Management

Many in management have been at the company for decades, and there seems to be a sense of "tenure status" which equates to enormous egos battling for power. Some executives seem to be trying to increase their power and influence, since future plans of top leadership are not widely known. Petty office politics seem to be permitted by the company owners, although it's plaguing the company. This is counter-productive for the company to continue to be innovative. Managers seem to protect their favorite employees, whiles others can be left to be "thrown under the bus." Many great new talent hired into the company don't seem to stay long. While there are many hard working people at the company with the right intentions, there are many who seem to be doing the minimum amount of work and just showing up each day for a pay check.

"It's ok"

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

-Most people are great to work with.
    -HR is amazing and responsive. Tons of development programs and support.
    -Work/life balance is nice. They encourage time off when needed.
    -Innovators in tech.
    -Encouragement to grow within position.

Cons

There seems to be a lot of finger pointing when something goes wrong. Even when it is minor, things are taken way out of proportion when they don't need to be. When concerns are brought to management, it takes so much time before action is taken. Collaboration and communication are sometimes nonexistent for some teams.
    Pay could be better. Not bad but also not great.

Advice to Management

If communication and collaboration are important, find out what is not working.

9. "So far so good. Loving it so far"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, ME

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked here around 2 years now. So far I have loved the team and projects we've been working on. The benefits are great. I really enjoy the training and classes offered. I feel that Esri tries very hard to treat it's employees very well and offer them chances to succeed.

Cons

Esri covers so many different fields there is a lot of overlap in the implementations that different teams come up with. There can also be some politics between teams which is unnecessary.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Try and facilitate cross-team sharing.

Oct 11, 2017 – Esri

We're so happy to hear you're having a great #esriexperience! Thank you for your contributions.

"Excellent Culture, Benefits, and Work-Life Balance, but Base-Salary Could be Better."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at Esri full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture (at least in the engineering division) is fairly relaxed and supportive of industry best-practices and new technologies. There is a clear focus on making career development paths explicit for new-hires especially and on retaining talent (as can be seen from the significant proportion of engineers with long tenures). The work-life balance is also good, and almost all employees are paid hourly so that your time is compensated appropriately. The benefits at Esri are also top-notch: all premiums for medical insurance are paid by the company and the insurance plans are some of the best out there (very low deductibles and allows you to choose your health care practitioner); 401(k) matching is modest, but Esri's contribution to retirement plans are supplemented with generous profit-sharing to-boot (so it all evens-out at the end of the day), and the fund selection is generally pretty good.

Cons

Compensation (base salary in particular) could be better when compared to the industry as a whole, especially since no stock-options are available as Esri is privately-owned. This is mitigated somewhat by profit-sharing and the excellent benefits, but even so the numbers are no better than slightly above-median pay. Don't apply thinking you'll be offered a compensation package anything comparable from that of a silicon-valley tech-giant or NY fin-tech firm.

Aug 3, 2017 – Esri

We're happy to hear you're having a great #esriexperience! We agree that some of the best perks Esri offers are the casual work environment, work-life balance, and fantastic benefits. We are... More