Esri Reviews | Glassdoor

Esri Reviews

Updated March 29, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Esri has excellent work-life balance - flexible hours, work from home - just deliver results (in 39 reviews)

• Good company to work for, great benefits (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • average salary, not a great career path of upward mobility (in 29 reviews)

• No career growth unless you chart your own course (in 18 reviews)

"Education Specialist"

Current Employee - Educational Specialist in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Educational Specialist in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Secure, pay is just OK but cost of living raises yearly, great benes including free health care for the whole family, old school so they take care of employees

Cons

Vertical structure, hard to move up, or anywhere; private company with deep pockets means expectations are low and deadlines are soft (I'm so bored). And, old school can be bad too, for example, working from home takes special permission, even though Broomfield is a remote office anyway

Advice to Management

There are some silos happening that should be broken down. And, people's perceptions of a horizontal structure that makes it easy to move around are from the 1980's I'm guessing; it's very vertical with middle managers being added all the time. As they said in the movie Office Space, "I have eight bosses right now, Bob!".

Jan 6, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We want our employees to do work that is meaningful and challenging to them. If you are interested in exploring other opportunities at Esri ... More

2. "Great Organization"

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent mission, excellent colleagues, and overall an amazing company. I have had many doors opened for me and love the jobs I've held over the years.

Cons

Pay could be improved, as well as the model for pay increases when new positions are taken on. More sick days would be an additional bonus.

Dec 21, 2016 – Human Resources

We're happy to hear you're having a great #esriexperience! And thank you for your 8+ years of service. Your dedication is appreciated.

3. "good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible
    great benefits
    find your own path

Cons

management can be slow to evolve

5. "Decent company, okay management, could be more competitive"

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

- laid back, friendly environment
    - good work/life balance
    - room for growth
    - private co

Cons

- too laid back
    - not as competitive as they can/should be
    - average benefits
    - below average perks
    - should IPO

"Product Engineer"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great working conditions, benefits, profit sharing and flexible hours. It's a solid company, investing a large amount in research and product improvement.

Cons

Abysmal management, no career and professional development path, and if you are not part of the "founders" your voice is not heard - there are no mechanisms in place to provide input. Becoming a "large" company, mired in red tape. They prefer employees that do one thing well (and only one).

"Like being back in high school"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The mission of the company makes it one of the best to work for. Plus the benefits are great. The location is beautiful. It is work you can believe in. The CEO, Jack, is a true visionary of our time.

Cons

Management is not promoted from within, but almost always hired from outside the company. Very few people are part of the 'in' crowd, which means you will work harder year after year but get less recognition. It is very cliquish.

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing your internal talent, and you will have happier, more productive employees. Many of us were willing to go the extra mile, but get squashed behind managers who can't see beyond their own scope of work.

Dec 21, 2016 – Human Resources

We appreciate hearing your feedback. We agree that Esri’s mission is what drives each of us to do our best work. Our Training and Development team offers a wide range of courses geared to helping our ... More

"It's a love/hate relationship at times, but mostly love!"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are driven and take pride in your work and want to make Quality software for millions of users, then this is a place to thrive. If you want to blend in and be beige like the building interior colors you can probably do that too and make a good living, but you will be noticed as such by your colleagues, rather than by the flat management structure (some of us call this culture). I'm sure you've all read reviews that were negative, but this place is really fantastic. My bosses always told me to make my own career here and that is what I've tried to do. It's worked out for me.

-Benefits are great as well.

Cons

You accrue vacation instead of just getting 4 weeks on Jan 1 every year.

There are some politics, but they aren't like national politics so it's not that hard to maneuver with common sense approaches.

Advice to Management

Compensate the 20% of R&D that actually puts the effort in (works at midnight or code freeze times or meets deadlines and deliverables consistently) to make the products we sell. I'm tired of losing friends to Google or Amazon or whoever else is huge and pays better.

Dec 16, 2016 – Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback. Your comment about making your own career at Esri is on point. It's rewarding to be in an environment where we have the opportunity to really focus on work we enjoy ... More

"Solid Company"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Stable, solid, and great brand.

Cons

Very old school. Does not realize strong potential of their GIS offering can go beyond just creating maps. Does not allow telecommuting.

Advice to Management

Be forward thinkers. You don't just make maps anymore, but you are a business intelligence tool. You hired professionals, so trust they can do the work even remotely.

"OK--but many growing pains"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stellar benefits
    Casual dress/environment
    Beautiful campus
    Some flexibility w/ schedules
    Travel
    Autonomy

Cons

Low pay
    Slow approvals for everything
    Poor communication across groups
    Poor structure
    No clear path forward
    Indecisive leadership

Advice to Management

Esri could be even more successful w/ happier employees--create a positive and communicative environment with more room for growth.

Dec 16, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. We wish you the best in your new career endeavor.

"Great Career - Ended Badly"

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome technology
    The teamwork around Esri was, maybe still is, very invigorating and positive when I started more than 20 years ago. And the concept of be interested, not interesting is invaluable.
    It was a very flat organization structure, and Senior managers were always available.

Cons

The environment is changing. Lately, I was graded on how interesting I was, in a negative way.

Senior Management is now getting over obligated on outside meetings.

Advice to Management

Management can spend some time outside, but should focus on staff they manage. The staff are achieving for/with you. Grow and evolve them successfully, and Esri will grow and evolve successfully.