Esri Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • average salary, not a great career path of upward mobility (in 30 reviews)

• No career growth unless you chart your own course (in 18 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time

Pros

Great benefits, good company culture, opportunities to move up/around in the company, great campus (Redlands, CA), everyone really cares about the work they are doing.

Cons

Training can be grueling depending on the position.

Apr 26, 2017 – Esri

We appreciate hearing your feedback about your #esriexperience! Best of luck in your new role.

"HR pumps Glassdoor reviews"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Government type benefits from a private company are great. Fantastic GIS Library onsite. Cafeteria is pretty

Cons

Coffee and water clubs- because making billions isn't enough. True techies need not consider working here- off-site frowned on and both perks and pay are in the 1970's. Im serious, Amazon pays better in the local area and its just a warehouse locale.

Advice to Management

Nepotism is sad- you have lost so much talent just because you have lost the ability to be open-minded about change. I recall people telling me our customers would never go to the cloud... Then we had to play catch up....

"Great place to work - bad location"

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

good people, lack of resources is not an issue

Cons

located in the inland empire,

"Can be great"

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

Motivated teams who want customers to be successful
    Redlands is a great place to live with tons to do (don't let the haters convince you otherwise).
    Getting to work on meaningful projects
    UC
    GIS mothership
    Awesome Guest speakers
    Good healthcare

Cons

Pay - if you come in at a low salary it is difficult to make fair salary. When promoted, there is often no raise, or you remain well below what an outside hire would be paid.

Technical Support has a weird culture where they hire you with the intention of you getting a job elsewhere in the company and then spend 2 years playing mind games, making people feel not good enough to move onto another job or blocking the way. Why not make support a great place to work always as its an incredibly valued part of the company.

May 17, 2017 – Esri

We agree - Redlands is a great community with lots to offer! Technical Support is a great place to grow your career at Esri, whether within the division or on another team. We will continue to work... More

"All around great opportunity."

Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Flexible work
    Team oriented
    World leader
    continuous growth

Cons

Corporate growing pains.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide ability to work cross team and provide/promote movement within and among the company.

"Great benefits, average salary, limited advancement"

I worked at Esri full-time

Pros

Company-paid health premiums, 401(k), casual dress code, "the GIS company"

Cons

Limited advancement, so expect to stay in your position for at least 5 years, or make sure you get noticed by Jack.

"Sales"

Pros

Good benefits
    Work life balance
    Good training for skills development
    Great co workers

Cons

Pay is not competitive
    Zero recognition for top performers
    No career path
    No mentorship

Advice to Management

Establish a bonus system if you wont do commissions so top performers are rewarded.

"Pros and cons are pretty level - it's about what's meaningful to you"

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Esri's mission is meaningful, or at least I believe that to be true. Yes, we are in business to make money, however we have a real vested interest in our users - the two are not mutually exclusive. The sales organization is made up of people that truly care for the users and want the best for them, perhaps because there is no real incentive to force sales since our organization is commission-free. There is a lot of talent at Esri and it's a privilege to work among so many brilliant people. Esri offers great benefits - health coverage can be especially valuable to large families and I genuinely think this keeps a lot of our workers with young families around. Folks who work on Redlands campus get to indulge in a Café, gym, regular social events, and other fun interactive engagements that foster a sense of community.

Cons

Compensation seems adequate for technical staff, but we aren't allowed to discuss rates with one another so it's hard to know whether there is room to improve. Raises are modest to minimal. Profit sharing is put into 401k whether we like that or not, although to be fair 401k loans are allowed. The organization is growing and with that come growing pains - communication suffers most. There's a weird mix of off-putting overproduced videos of management selling concepts to us in some areas and crickets in other areas. What communication there is, tends to be near-term and doesn't allow a lot of prep time to help us help customers understand changes that impact them. Talented people are overloaded with hundreds of customers or piles of complex work while less competent staff are allowed to get by doing very little. Some divisions have too much process, others too little. Remote managers are becoming ever more common so you may find yourself reporting and rating to someone you seldom see in person. If you work in a Regional Office and don't want to move to HQ, career opportunities can be limited. Regional Offices don't enjoy as many perks as people employed at HQ. Policies and inflexibility cause managers to spend too much time running interference on approvals that aren't worth their time rather than mentoring those who need it. The company is privately held by older persons who have not communicated what will happen to it when they retire.

Advice to Management

Communication is key - embrace it.

"Major Management problems"

Former Employee - Support Analyst in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Support Analyst in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Co-workers. Great products. Laid back

Cons

Team managers called GLs suck. Unit managers not much better. UMs take side of GLs and don't listen to Analyst concerns. Fair pay.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing. Analysts know what they are doing. Stop clock watching. Last year has turned into a typical call center.

May 17, 2017 – Esri

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking for ways to make Technical Support a great place to work! In addition to supporting our customers, our analysts have the opportunity to participate... More

10. "Data"

Pros

Everything about it is good.

Cons

Nothing to complain about at all.