Esri Reviews | Glassdoor

Esri Reviews

Updated June 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • average salary, not a great career path of upward mobility (in 30 reviews)

• There is no career growth here for most of the people no matter what you achieve (in 19 reviews)

"Finance"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri (More than a year)

Pros

Company with stability and longevity

Cons

Location and pay structure (hourly pay only)

"Great place to start a career."

Current Employee - Coordinator - Sales in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator - Sales in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Esri is a great place to gain experience working in the tech world. It's great to know the company is helping so many people.

Cons

Growth is tricky. The career path is nonexistent. Salaries are lower compared to other tech companies. It makes it difficult to live in Redlands with rents being so high.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate pay. Most employees are scraping by working long hours to make ends meet.

"Great product; great management; great atmosphere; medium pay."

Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most positions are hourly. That means you are paid for your hard work when you exceed a 40 hour work week.

My management is awesome. The people I work with are great and we have a common goal of serving the customer. Esri is not cut throat.

There is a cafe onsite. The campus is beautiful and modern. Redlands is a nice little city to live in; a great place to raise a family.

Customers love ArcGIS! It's an amazing product, so Esri will be around for awhile.

Cons

Because the product sells itself and the job is only as stressful as you want it to be, some people take advantage of that. You will work with some of the best and brightest, but you will also run into mediocre workers. Don't let that discourage you. Just keep pushing forward and your work ethic will be recognized in time.

Esri is slow to change, which can be good and bad. I listed it as a con because Esri tends to be too adverse to change.

Mar 30, 2016 – Human Resources

We couldn't agree with you more that we work with the best and the brightest! Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughtful review, and best of luck.

"Family friendly working environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family friendly working environment. Hourly paid.

Cons

Salary is lower than average IT industry .

"Great place to start the career"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri (More than a year)

Pros

Great work culture.. Good work life balance.. Good Managers.. Great office infrastructure and personal office room for every employee.. Sponsor visa and green card.

Cons

Poor career growth. Traditional management style... Not many cons because I loved working there.. It is an awesome company

Advice to Management

Hire more students right after college.. Increase salary of the employees.. Everything else is good.. It is the best company..

Mar 30, 2016 – Human Resources

We're so happy to hear you had a positive experience as an Esri employee. Thank you for your comments, and best of luck in your new career endeavor.

"Great Environment"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment and great work life balance. Managers are very friendly, and understanding. If you do your work, they are flexible with the hours.

Cons

Lack of career path for some roles. May have to change your role to get a promotion.

Advice to Management

Define a career growth path, it will motivate the employees.

Mar 30, 2016 – Human Resources

Welcome! We're happy to have you here. Esri employees are able to continue growing within their roles and teams by taking on additional responsibilities. Always feel free to talk with your manager or ... More

"Great Purpose, Poor Execution"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some amazing people that are there for a purpose. Decent pay & benefits.

Cons

Slow to adopt well known upcoming industry tools and processes(particularly the department I'm involved with.) Poor attention to developing internal feedback mechanisms and propelling culture beyond an old-school ego-driven mentality that governs management. Some hold their position based on time with the company, which does not necessarily equate to effectiveness in said position.

Advice to Management

Approval/bureaucratic processes slow down the innovation that your teams are capable achieving, loosen the organization hierarchies and support more autonomy throughout the organization. Those on the bottom of these organizational structures have great vision for what they need to execute effectively. Find ways to actively extract said feedback, and prove that you're incorporating it into decisions moving forward.

Mar 16, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your comments. We have a relatively new team focused on employee engagement and culture. If you aren't sure how to contact them, Human Resources can help. We encourage you to reach out ... More

"Meh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When you work over 40 hours, you have the option to get paid for them or bank them as vacation hours. Employees and domestic partner/spouse don't have to pay for health benefits.

Cons

People tend to stay at the company for a long time (many of my co-workers had been there 8-20 years), and I think this - and that Esri's a private company that hasn't had to worry about profitability much - results in a lot of "this is how we've always done it" and reluctance to try things that feel new to them.

Advice to Management

Don't take the fact that employees at your headquarters stay for a long time as a good sign (there aren't many other employment options once you settle down in Redlands), and try to encourage and reward people who try new things and act like this is more of a growth-minded company.

"Dead End Company"

Current Employee - Marketing in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Historically, this was an amazing company. Great culture and smart people who were early believers in the value of GIS.

Cons

Today, it is a nightmare. The owners are in their 70's and have no succession plan. The so-called leadership is fighting for power. Employees are the victims.
    - Marketing is a joke. This once powerful organization lives in fear. Time is spent figuring out who is in or who is out instead of working on marketing! Friends and colleagues are turning on each other. Everyone is afraid.
    - Sales keeps getting new directions, orders and constant scrutiny that they don't have time to sell! Bullied by leadership, watched via saleforce, the customer is forgotten.
    - Development - Leadership is confused and out of touch. They have no idea who their customer is and they don't care.
    - Executives - wow! So much wrong. Watching employees, paranoid and out-of-touch. HR is completely dismantled and IT is a joke. No communication and no internal tools that work.
    - It is headquarters in Redlands - a desert with nothing to do. They tell you that there is a lot to do nearby but with traffic it takes hours.
    Stay away from this company. Its reputation is riding still on its great past.

Advice to Management

Sell the company.

Apr 6, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback. The Sales and Marketing divisions have undergone restructuring over the past year and are continuing to make adjustments. The objective is to ... More

"Pretty Good for the IE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri (Less than a year)

Pros

Good experience, fun co-workers, beautiful campus, amazing cafeteria

Cons

Office politics, work drama, promotions based on who likes you, not your work, no room for advancement, salary is average

Advice to Management

Better your recruitment and promotion process, invest in your workforce and office culture