KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Esri Employee Reviews about "esri"

Updated Nov 17, 2021

57 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay and few chances for advancement(in 69 reviews)
  • "Poor management, they choose people who don't know how to manage people and don't train them.(in 66 reviews)
  • "Apart from low salary everything is great(in 53 reviews)
  • "Most managers don't have a clue about anything technology related despite that esri tells us we are a software company.(in 41 reviews)
  • "No career path(in 32 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Esri and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "esri"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years
    Featured Review

Great People, great company

Jul 11, 2021 - Program Manager in Redlands, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the most brilliant minds, kind people, and positive attitudes are employed with this company. It has been an absolute privilege to work with Esri over the past years, and I wouldn't change any of it for the knowledge I've gained, the experiences I've had, and the engaging people that surround the Organization.

Cons

I have no cons to share at this time.

11 people found this review helpful

Esri Response

Esri

Thank you for providing your feedback. We are so proud of the work our employees do and the contributions they make every day, regardless of their role, to help our customers be successful. Best wishes as you continue growing your career with Esri!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Overall Great Company

Nov 17, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Redlands, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Esri has great benefits for all needs: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401K, Etc. Allowed for the possibility of remote/hybrid work Great Co-Workers/Environment Currently work from home but the headquarters is great Amazing management

Cons

Can deal with unprofessional customers but it is rare Pretty fast-paced and can be difficult to keep up with if you aren't efficient

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great company to work for

Oct 7, 2021 - Senior Product Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Hourly pay — opportunity to get paid for more hours if you work 40+ or bank hours for vacation (This is a HUGE, unheard-of benefit in an industry that is largely salary. I’ve taken up to 4 weeks EXTRA vacation in a year by putting in extra hours on weeks I do work. That said, my team has never pushed us to work overtime.) - FULLY PAID insurance premiums for employee AND family (Once you factor this in, pay is very competitive for region — at other companies, I’ve paid $7k+/year in health insurance premiums) - Very supportive of work-life balance - Generous 401k contributions (50% matching up to 6%) PLUS annual profit sharing - Supportive of WFH during pandemic and hybrid work for employees with longer commute. Overall, they are prioritizing going back to the office — which is great! Beautiful campus and great culture (something that has suffered a bit during WFH) — looking forward to getting back as soon as it’s safe! - Opportunity to work on amazing products that support incredible work in all kinds of spaces. It’s a good feeling to know you’re contributing to a company that helps users do such amazing things! - Lots of great people working at this company for a long time really speaks to how well the company treats employees

Cons

- While it’s great that Esri has prioritized our health and safety during the pandemic, I and many I know are looking forward to getting back to the office. If you’re interested in remote work, lots of other companies are offering that. I’m glad Esri is committed to getting us back to in-person collaboration. - Utilization of internal communications systems like Teams during WFH has led to these becoming a sort of internal social media (complete with tribal in-fighting) that stands in as a (hopefully temporary) more toxic company culture.

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Meh

Nov 5, 2021 - Product Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

See cons ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Many billionaire worshippers have already added their reviews.

Cons

I worked with some of the most obnoxious programmers at my time in Esri. - a bunch of egoistic old-timers who think hazing new employees is cool. And how qualified were they? They pushed half a feature every release, so you tell me. The owner and his marketing team are always pushing the cool aid on racial equity and how they work to protect the environment, climate, etc., . But the truth is Esri makes most of it's money from law enforcement (policies, border patrol), big oil and mining corporations. The staff diversity at the HQ does not reflect the community it operates out of. And it gets worse as you look at the top of the organization chain. Unlike other big software corporations, barely any code is open-source. Maybe because Esri's software sucks?

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Working for a billionaire… what do you expect?

Oct 27, 2021 - Program Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is highly dependent on your manager, but for me there was somewhat flexible work life balance.

Cons

One of the worst companies to work for if you are LQBTQ+ or from a minoritized group. You’ll have no opportunities for promotions and make significantly less money than your non-minoritized counterparts even if they have less education and experience than you. When I worked there I also witnessed many cases where people were silenced if they tried to advocate for themselves or dared to ask for a raise greater than the yearly $1 per hour increase. I’m soooooo thankful I was able to leave when I did. Lots of the good reviews come from the demographic of people who are set up for success Esri. I hear from friends who still work there that they’re now dealing with record turnover and I can’t say I’m surprised. As someone who never made it into the old boys club I can say with certainty I’m much happier working elsewhere! Being at esri was like being stuck in a time machine of corporate America in 1990.

5 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Amazing tech and culture

Oct 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

ESRI is a wonderful company to work for and literally makes the world a better place. Great mission and technology and wonderful people. Starting to develop career paths for people.

Cons

Focus on retention and competitive pay. Job market is hot now and good people are leaving for better paying jobs. Also cannot hire for positions because the market is good and we can’t recruit the right people at current pay scales.

7. 3.0
    Current Employee

Could be a great place to work w/ a few changes

Sep 11, 2021 - Senior Software Product Engineer in Cherry Valley, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fairly flat org structure in a company doing a lot of interesting work. Can be a good place if you're ambitious, willing to grow/learn, & fortunate enough to have a supportive management.

Cons

Lots of petit tyrants in management who demotivate talented workers & drive them out of the company. There are many ppl in the company whose careers were sabotaged because of an egomaniacal management that HR refuses to correct. Esri needs to implement bottom-up feedback for management the way other major tech firms have done. It's still a "good old boys" network. If you're there and have a good management hierarchy, consider yourself to be among the lucky ones.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee

Admin salary

Sep 15, 2021 - Administrative Assistant in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Esri encourages employees to grow and expand within the company.

Cons

Admins seem to get the short end of the stick at times.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Software for a Better World

Sep 7, 2021 - Senior Product Marketing Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Esri is an innovative company that builds GIS software products that help our customers improve decision making that ultimately creates a better world for us all to live in. I really appreciate working for a company like this...where every user story is inspirational. These amazing stories make me feel good about the product we make, and the place I work.

Cons

Flat organization. Most direction is top down. Not enough opportunities for middle management career growth. Often engineer driven, rather than market driven.

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good culture, hard to increase wage through internal moves.

Jul 16, 2021 - Sales Development Representative (SDR) in Redlands, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good culture, there isn't a lot of competition with internal sales teams. Its a very collaborative selling approach.

Cons

People at Esri are somewhat siloed and resistant to change.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 191 Reviews