KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Esri Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 24, 2021

57 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay and few chances for advancement(in 71 reviews)
  • "Poor management, they choose people who don't know how to manage people and don't train them.(in 64 reviews)
  • "Apart from low salary everything is great(in 52 reviews)
  • "Most managers don't have a clue about anything technology related despite that esri tells us we are a software company.(in 42 reviews)
  • "No career path will be laid out for you(in 32 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Esri and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Excellent place to work

Nov 24, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work-life balance, technology stack, collaborative work

Cons

Don't have any negatives about working here.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company with full of knowledgeable person

Nov 10, 2021 - Senior Applications Developer in Redlands, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Great work culture 2. Work with a great mind as employees are very knowledgeable. 3. Great HR policies to maintain work-life balance. 4. Work hard and get paid for it. 5. Great health insurance coverage. 6. 401K match and profit-sharing.

Cons

No major cons. but I experience 1. Immigration team is slow. 2. Salary is OK.

3. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to start, or spend 2 wonderful years then start looking again.

Oct 29, 2021 - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers willing to collaborate and learn together. Great learning opportunities Insurance is not deducted from wages Great entry level wages. Front line Leadership that is supportive and communicative. High quality infrastructure and hardware to support job requirements. Great sense of purpose. Great work life balance for most teams.

Cons

Low wages once past entry level if promoted within. Very slow not even up with inflation wages growth rate if promoted within or retained. Very fast pace of learning required in order to be successful. Occasional pockets of jury rigged legacy systems left without a plan for proper replacement. System in place for professional growth of employees is a template that doesn't seem to actually be used for anything beneficial to the employee. Only seems to be used for getting a paper trail on failing employees. Professional growth of your own is left unrecognized, unrewarded, and uncompensated. But strongly encouraged to obtain. Seems that the only way to progress within is to turn down promotion offers that offer minimal pay increases and potentially get labelled the troublemaker, or leave the company and apply again from external to get reasonable wage offers.

Continue reading
    7 people found this review helpful
  4. 4.0

Overall decent company

Oct 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good working environment Very nice and competent coworkers Good work/life balance

Cons

Management’s plans to return to the office are extremely unpopular. The only people that want to return to the office are management. All coworkers that I’ve talked to love working from home. I anticipate high employee turnover if returning to the office is required for teams that have successfully worked from home throughout the pandemic.

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great company to work for

Oct 7, 2021 - Senior Product Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Hourly pay — opportunity to get paid for more hours if you work 40+ or bank hours for vacation (This is a HUGE, unheard-of benefit in an industry that is largely salary. I’ve taken up to 4 weeks EXTRA vacation in a year by putting in extra hours on weeks I do work. That said, my team has never pushed us to work overtime.) - FULLY PAID insurance premiums for employee AND family (Once you factor this in, pay is very competitive for region — at other companies, I’ve paid $7k+/year in health insurance premiums) - Very supportive of work-life balance - Generous 401k contributions (50% matching up to 6%) PLUS annual profit sharing - Supportive of WFH during pandemic and hybrid work for employees with longer commute. Overall, they are prioritizing going back to the office — which is great! Beautiful campus and great culture (something that has suffered a bit during WFH) — looking forward to getting back as soon as it’s safe! - Opportunity to work on amazing products that support incredible work in all kinds of spaces. It’s a good feeling to know you’re contributing to a company that helps users do such amazing things! - Lots of great people working at this company for a long time really speaks to how well the company treats employees

Cons

- While it’s great that Esri has prioritized our health and safety during the pandemic, I and many I know are looking forward to getting back to the office. If you’re interested in remote work, lots of other companies are offering that. I’m glad Esri is committed to getting us back to in-person collaboration. - Utilization of internal communications systems like Teams during WFH has led to these becoming a sort of internal social media (complete with tribal in-fighting) that stands in as a (hopefully temporary) more toxic company culture.

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Some departments are better than others

Oct 24, 2021 - Instructional Designer in Redlands, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Nice colleagues, Good location

Cons

Pressure to work overtime, Need better Work - life balance

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Working for a billionaire… what do you expect?

Oct 27, 2021 - Program Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is highly dependent on your manager, but for me there was somewhat flexible work life balance.

Cons

One of the worst companies to work for if you are LQBTQ+ or from a minoritized group. You’ll have no opportunities for promotions and make significantly less money than your non-minoritized counterparts even if they have less education and experience than you. When I worked there I also witnessed many cases where people were silenced if they tried to advocate for themselves or dared to ask for a raise greater than the yearly $1 per hour increase. I’m soooooo thankful I was able to leave when I did. Lots of the good reviews come from the demographic of people who are set up for success Esri. I hear from friends who still work there that they’re now dealing with record turnover and I can’t say I’m surprised. As someone who never made it into the old boys club I can say with certainty I’m much happier working elsewhere! Being at esri was like being stuck in a time machine of corporate America in 1990.

5 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

Stellar Intern Program

Aug 25, 2021 - QA Automation Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Team is always available when you have questions or need help - Management does a great job of addressing employee needs - Great work-life balance

Cons

Honestly, none thus far. Working here has been a very fulfilling experience.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great Company

Sep 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Offers great Work-Life Balance Offers great location and pay

Cons

No downside really. It offers great balance and pay.

10. 2.0

Sluggish and Disorganized

Aug 24, 2021 - Software Development Engineer II in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Healthcare paid for 100%(as a single person, at least) - Handled COVID well - Good work-life balance

Cons

- I never talk to my manager - We learn about new applications after they've been deployed to production - The company can't keep my team staffed with competent people - There is no discernible vision - Some people, especially those who have been at the company a long time, get away with doing nothing on outdated skills - Production releases are largely quarterly and at night pacific time - If it wasn't clear, there is no central planning just a bunch of people doing stuff that someone told them to do

1 person found this review helpful