Essence Group - Missouri Reviews | Glassdoor

W. Michael Long
  1. "Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Sale Consultant

I worked at Essence Group - Missouri full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Great company, patient satisfaction is a number one priority. Sales reps were rewarded for exceptional performance. I always had a sense of pride for this company, their service to patients and their healthcare plans. We were a close knit team and we always had access to upper management if needed. They really listened to our ideas and encouraged feedback to improve.

Cons

Unfortunately the positions in the area were eliminated.

Essence Group - Missouri2013-08-14
  2. "Tech"

I worked at Essence Group - Missouri full-time

Pros

Very good company to work for.

Cons

Management not up to the task.

Advice to Management

Improve your hiring practices.

Essence Group - Missouri2016-08-27
    • "Good Industry, Bad Leadership"

I worked at Essence Group - Missouri full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Casual work attire and improved office decor

Cons

Everything but the casual work attire

Advice to Management

Longivity doesn't equate to effectiveness

Essence Group - Missouri2014-04-26

"Spare yourself the pain - Avoid Essence Healthcare/Lumeris (LHO) if you have any IT skills"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryland Heights, MO

I have been working at Essence Group - Missouri full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Some nice people work here and it's small enough that you get exposed to lots of different areas. Cafeteria is pretty good and reasonable prices

Cons

Direction from managers is contradictory. Processes are poor and lack 'maturity'. Areas cannot work together. Employees who 'don't work well with others' are tolerated and given free reign. The organization cannot 'learn' from past mistakes and seemingly simple tasks are difficult. I.T. is not this hard. Health benefits are the worst I have ever seen ($5000 deductible). 401k getting worse in 2014. Wouldn't know a...

Advice to Management

Clean up your IT management and listen to the professional staffers. Live the values that you claim to embrace. Have your benefits reflect this. Get HR to perform their benefits / training / recruiting functions. Maybe this would reduce the rampant turnover.

Essence Group - Missouri2014-01-11

"High turnover, terrible health benefits, terrible 401k benefits, constantly changing corporate vision"

I have been working at Essence Group - Missouri full-time

Pros

You get paid for filling a cubicle, and mid-level managers smile at you and say good morning, but rarely mean it because there are so many daily fires to put out

Cons

The benefits are diminishing quickly, wasteful spending on projects, mid-high level managers never leave, everyone beneath them leaves out of frustration with seeing no changes. I'll be leaving soon.

Advice to Management

Start holding your mid to high level managers accountable. Good people have been coming and going for years, working under bad mid-level managers who always have a reason as to why they're not the source of the problem. You can't expand a business on managers who are content with just being average.

Essence Group - Missouri2013-12-21

"Nice Place - Poor Benefits"

Current Employee - Health Plan Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Essence Group - Missouri full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

There is a decent cafeteria in the building. The lower level employees are generally nice and we all complain about the same things. It's comfortable.

Cons

The new health plans for employees for 2014 are awful. Management doesn't care. The Lumeris people in the building all complain too. There are much better places to work.

Advice to Management

If you are going to be a health insurance company, you should have better health insurance for your employees. The ones you just offered are not in line with other area employers. I'll be leaving soon.

Essence Group - Missouri2013-11-22
    • "Exciting Company with a Great Mission!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Essence Group - Missouri full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

This company has a very fast paced environment, very challengingand exciting. The company employs incredibly intelligent and motivated people. They have done a great job finding top talent across the country.

Cons

Because of the ever changing landscape of the Healthcare market the company moves very fast and it can be hard to keep up at times.

Advice to Management

The drive of the executive team is invigorating and motivating to the organziation keep up the good work.

Essence Group - Missouri2013-07-09
    • "Fantabulous Work Place ever Worked - unfortunately had Relocated to another City for my Fiancee"

Former Employee -  in San Diego, CA

I worked at Essence Group - Missouri full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Congenial Work Place. Better Benefits with Pay and Techinically Challenging assignments for employees .CoWorkers were very submissive and adept at problem solving skills. Professional Ettiquette,ethics at its best in this Organization.Logical and completely unbiased decision-making.Properly engaged employees to meet company goals with a sense of belonging.

Cons

Lack of team building activities which fosters relationship between employees and bridge gaps to enhance the ease of communication.

Advice to Management

Though it was Organized well to certain extent but still it should actively promote Organization effectiveness and should focus on create strong team environment.

Essence Group - Missouri2013-06-30

"No work / life balance"

I worked at Essence Group - Missouri full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Smart and talented coworkers. Relax dress code. Pay and benefits okay. Access to a lot of new technologies. Free gym in other building. No assigned parking.

Cons

Weekend work is the rule, not the exception. High turnover. Projects are poorly planned.

Advice to Management

Stop 70 hour weeks.

Essence Group - Missouri2013-05-20

"Decent Pay, Great People, No Respect"

Current Employee - Sr in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Essence Group - Missouri full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Decent pay. Work with current technology. There were a lot of great people. The cubes are a great size and the office is clean. They did a lot of activities throughout the year to keep people interested.

Cons

Few respect for employee personal time. It's very common to work through the weekend and late nights with very little notice. Senior management kept spinning the same message that an end was in sight. Hard work not recognized and people with no clue get promoted. Frequent drama.

Advice to Management

Slow down and pay attention. CARE about people as they're not just a goat to be used.

Essence Group - Missouri2013-04-23