Essence Photo & Video Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 31, 2017

4.3
Michael Gajewski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Family owned studio"

Former Contractor - Senior Photographer in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Contractor - Senior Photographer in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Essence Photo & Video as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

I shot for Essence for nearly 12 years and one of the reasons I stayed so long was because I always felt like I was being supported by the owners. Even when the economy wasn't doing so well they always kept me booked and the paychecks always arrived on time. It's a really great company for young and hungry photographers to get their footing in the industry.

Cons

photographers are responsible for for editing their own weddings. Some people prefer this but it really eats up a lot of time for no additional pay.

2. "I worked for Essence For 2 yrs and LOVED my job!"

Former Employee - Office Assistant/Trade Show Sales in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Office Assistant/Trade Show Sales in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

They are family owned and truly care about the staff and the customers. I really felt like part of the family. I worked in the office part of the time and also worked a lot of the wedding trade shows. The pay was excellent and I would still be working there if I hadn't gotten busier at my full time job. I still refer my brides from the salon to Essence for their wedding photos.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons... they do expect you to work hard and do the very best for the customer but that is not really a con, it is just how things should be done :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I truly loved this job!

3. "Assembly Line"

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere where middle management tries their best to take care of new hires. They are pretty up-front about the fast turn over rate.

Cons

Shady business practices where corners are cut at every opportunity. There is no sense of loyalty or better business practices.

4. "I worked there for 5 years"

Current Employee - Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Photographer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Essence Photo & Video part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are family owned and are very nice to work with

Cons

they train and expect a lot to make the bride happy

Advice to Management

charge more money cause we bust our ass in the field. I feel the wedding day guide have a lot of info for a photographer that we really don't need to no. Example send bride a big guide then send us what we need to no. I realize that brides don't understand how much work it is to shoot a wedding but wish there was a way to get them to understand that 15min for picks just don't work if you want pj. I guess that's why i worked for them cause there are always problems with people in any biz.

5. "Good place to shoot weddings"

Former Contractor - Wedding Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Wedding Photographer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Essence Photo & Video as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of work, as photographer shot over 30 weddings a year for 4 years until I had to move to Dallas, pay was always on time, pay by the day not the hour which I liked. Very fun people to work with but yet had zero tolerance for sloppy work and mistakes which is vital in the wedding industry - it's someone's wedding after all! Very low turnover so you got to know and work with a very experience bunch of photographers. Company does only weddings so has lots of good techniques.

Cons

The place had hardly any turnover but if a photographer got "burned out" they were asked to leave right away, leaving some hard feelings in a couple of cases but I was more on Essence side casue again it is someone's wedding we are talking about.
    Another thing that was bad but important to do is they asked the photographers to catalog, organize and edit their photos before turning in which some photographers might think is busy work.

Advice to Management

I miss you guys. Give seminars to other companies on how to run a wedding business cause I can't find a company like yours in the Dallas area where I live now!

6. "Not a good company"

Former Employee - Videographer/Editor in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Videographer/Editor in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Technically in my field I went to college for. Pay can be ok if you're willing to put in extra work.

Cons

Dishonest people overall. Are constantly looking for ways to replace you with an intern or someone extremely cheaper. No benefits, very little pay. Not a very good place to work for will take advantage of you.

Advice to Management

Treat your employers better. Listen to their ideas.

7. "Satisfactory"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

The people at Essence are great to work with and be around. They provide superior customer service and strive to ensure customers are satisfied and receive a quality product.

Cons

There is no level for monetary growth. Unless you are a manager, pay is hourly and minimum wage. Great company to gain experience, but not to stay at in the long run.

Advice to Management

Offer employees a chance to grow within the company. The company is wonderful, but the employees need to be appreciated more.