Essence Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Essence Global CEO Christian Juhl
Christian Juhl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "It's the best I've worked for in the industry because of not only doing great work but it has a great culture that is people centric" (in 16 reviews)

• "Great people and work life balance is better on some teams than others" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Essence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Essence culture is unlike any company I've worked at. They strive to make it a fun, relaxing, and inviting place for everyone who walks through the door. You walk into Essence and you know it's filled with hard-working individuals who care about what they do. Even with all of the changes the company is going through, everyone works hard to make sure the company sticks to it's roots and values.

Essence is special because everyone genuinely wants you to succeed. You immediately receive support and guidance on your first day and continue to feel supported every day.

Cons

When we acquired another company, there were of course growing pains. We're all in multiple different offices in 3 different regions and continents and that can sometimes make it difficult to get what you needed done quickly. Everything at Essence happens very fast and you need to make sure you're on top of your work and adapt quickly.

Advice to Management

Continue to make sure your employees feel valued every day. As the company grows and we add more people and clients, our company culture should stay top of mind.

Feb 2, 2018 – Essence People Team

We’re thrilled to hear how much you enjoy working at Essence. Thank you so much for sharing these thoughts. We’ve informed our people team of your perspective but please feel free to reach out to... More

2. "Great place to grow"

I worked at Essence full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Tons of geniuses doing new and interesting things in marketing; really great learning experiences and kind wonderful people to work with. I loved growing up here.

Cons

Can be stressful to work agency-side - always last minute deadlines. Easy to burn out and not a lot of support from management as there's always a fire somewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on training and mentoring; encourage younger workers to upskill and take control of their career trajectory.

"GREAT......... if you're white"

I have been working at Essence full-time

Pros

Some smart and amazing co-workers

Cons

- Discrimination and any serious complaints are swept under the rug by HR and not acted upon.
    - If your manager doesn't see any value in you (or like you) then expect no movement or career progression.

Advice to Management

- Compare compensation and promotion frequency for ethnic minorities in comparison to white counterparts.
    - Take complaints seriously and act on it, follow up, show the employees you're invested in them and not just upper management.

Jun 19, 2018 – Essence People Team

Firstly, thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review; we value your honesty and candor. This type of feedback is certainly not easy for us to read and we recognize that it must not have... More

"Love this company, need to watch expansion"

Pros

Culture, people, autonomy to work.

Cons

Absorbing of WPP arms means more employees and needing to monitor ways of working and culture closely so that Essence culture doesn't change.

Advice to Management

Watch expansion closely to monitor for any potential pain points before they happen, not after.

"A good egg"

I have been working at Essence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Essence has its heart in the right place - they are focused on their people and their clients. This doesn't come at the sake of growth - there are always new opportunities and new clients to work on. The best part about Essence has to be the other people you work with. Everyone is smart, driven, funny and helpful.

Cons

If you often have meetings with Essentials in other offices, the time zones can be difficult. But it does mean interacting with folks from countries and cultures all over the world.

Apr 30, 2018 – Chief Learning & Culture Officer

Thank you for your 5-star review. We agree, it can be challenging to work across multiple time zones but we are glad that you see the benefit to this too. Thanks again.

6. "Assistant Media Planner"

Pros

great people to work with, rewarding entertainment account

Cons

extremely long hours, low compensation/reward

Advice to Management

help employees have a work/life balance

May 16, 2018 – Essence People Team

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We take this feedback seriously and would welcome the opportunity to hear more about your concerns. If that’s something you would feel comfortable doing, please... More

"Fake Culture"

Former Employee - Client Services in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Client Services in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Essence (More than a year)

Pros

Very few. Some great people in analytics.

Cons

The earlier reviewer is right. It's a frat culture at the top and this is felt most in the US offices. They are the kind of people that use sports analogy every day - it's gross and alpha male. The Global CEO is clearly on the spectrum. As the other reviewer said, 'he's elitist'. And he doesn't know how to motivate people. In terms of the culture, they keep employees high on sugary cereals in the morning or drunk on alcohol in the evenings to numb them from the terribly boring work. They make, measure, and optimize banner ads for Google. They have almost no social media offering. If you want to work with dynamic clients, think creatively, and build proficiency in programmatic as well as social media, go work somewhere else. If you are a guy that talks about sports all the time, like banner ads, and value free cereal and alcohol, you will fit in nicely.

Advice to Management

New leadership, through and through. A woman CEO would help.

May 16, 2018 – Essence People Team

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts. Please know we take all feedback very seriously. While you're no longer a current employee, if you'd like to discuss this more we're most certainly eager to... More

"New Great Agency Model"

Current Employee - Managing Partner in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Partner in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Essence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Essence looks to invest in their people, infrastructure and offerings more than any other agency I've worked at. They have a very strong culture and put people first. They actually want people to enjoy working at Essence and it's not just lip service. They also develop proprietary tools to make day-to-day agency work easier. Lots of development opportunities at all levels too.

Cons

Most of the new, positive developments are still rolling out. A lot of improvements in the pipeline still or in early development phase.

Advice to Management

The new social and support committees are doing a great job at building community and morale, keep it up!

Apr 17, 2018 – Essence People Team

Thank you for sharing such a considered and thoughtful review. We love that you're enjoying your time at Essence. If there's anything you'd like to explore further, don't hesitate to get in touch... More

"Essence"

Former Employee - Media Activation Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Media Activation Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Essence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Environment. Interesting work and material

Cons

Workload Gets dull at times

Advice to Management

Keep doing you and keep going strong

Apr 17, 2018 – Essence People Team

Thank you for your 5* review. We're glad that you enjoyed working at Essence.

"Great place for a while"

Former Employee - Grad Rotational Program in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Grad Rotational Program in New York, NY

I worked at Essence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment
    They actually give you work to do
    AMAZING people

Cons

gets boring after a while

Advice to Management

stop the reorgs

Feb 13, 2018 – Essence People Team

We love that you enjoyed working with your team members and thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.