Essex Property Trust Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

Los Angeles, CA Area

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Schall

Pros
Cons
  • The hardest thing for me is that there's an array of people in middle/upper management (in 12 reviews)

• Low pay, you move up by who you know not what you know (in 7 reviews)

"Assistant Community Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Such an amazing group of people! Benefits are great and incentives can be lucrative. Definitely room for growth, and they often promote from within.

Cons

Sometimes, your community might be understaffed. But honestly, have you ever worked somewhere where you couldn't use more help at times? Being able to efficiently multi-task only makes you shine.

Advice to Management

Just continue to keep the higher-ups happy, because whatever they're doing is working.

Jan 5, 2017 – Account Director

We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a positive review about Essex. Thank you. The amazing people we hire definitely drive our culture, and drive us to ensure you have what you need ... More

2. "Stay away!"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Valley Village, CA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Valley Village, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time

Pros

There are no pros! Upper Management is dishonest and expects you to be too. No integrity!

Cons

Low pay! Managers and maintenance go though residents apartment and steal items and sell it. Upper management in Woodland Hills are racists. They sexually harass you and dare you to snitch about.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all the upper management in Woodland hills and start over!

Nov 21, 2016 – Account Director

We are very sorry you’ve had a negative experience. Integrity and a safe working environment is very important to us. As your concerns are of a very serious nature, please contact us as soon as ... More

3. "Leasing Consultant"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company... Would have loved to stayed

Cons

Low pay... Hope it had increased since my time w/ the company

Aug 8, 2016 – Account Director

Thank you for taking the time to review Essex and for working with us. We’re pleased you had a positive experience and wish you the best in your future endeavors. Thank you. — Essex Human Resources.

"Corporate Property Accountant"

Former Employee - Corporate Accounting in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Accounting in Woodland Hills, CA

Pros

Multiple Residential Unite 95-97% Occupancy

Cons

Employee pettiness and low commitment to tasks at hand.

Advice to Management

Less micro Management and think more out the box thinking. Listen to advice of Accountants more.

May 3, 2016 – Account Director

Thank you for reviewing our company. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us how we’re doing as an organization and for the fantastic rating. With regard to your concerns expressed in the cons ... More

"Dissapointed"

Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Orange, CA

Pros

Great benefits in what pertains to my lifestyle.

Cons

Lack of commitment with improving employees outlook. Bombarded with tedious mundane work task that can be handled by the person giving the task, which creates more work and therefore removed time to concentrate on what the company goal is to create a community people call home.

Advice to Management

Hire an individual that can go through every detail from the start of the leasing position to the very top (ergo the rpm/vp/ etc) and remove tedious tasks asked of the on-site team, which will open more time to focus on the product and people that pay for our product across the entire portfolio. I have over 10 years with the company and the focus on the resident and the time spent to ensure they enjoy their experience leasing from an Essex Property has diminished. It is over run with time spent on mundane and tedious reports that generally should and can be handled by the RPM's, Area Managers, etc... But of course they thrust it on-site. By them doing this it has and continues to remove time to focus on the properties we manage and building our relationship with the people who "INVEST" in the property... OUR residents. I started off as a Leaser and I've always been very observant and often wondered why the manager was always in a hurried manner, and I have personally been treated wrongly by these managers because they are too stressed out with whatever task was thrust on them. People are people, they will take their frustrations out on their team. In the position I'm in now, I cannot find what the hell they were so worried about. Makes me wonder what they wasted their time on. There is too many hands in the pot, too many people thinking they are creating time efficient tasks, which because they do not actually work on-site and no longer know the demands of the residents... They think they are creating time saving strategies. You want to change? Work on-site for 45 days. You will get what you need to work on making our on-site staff more worthy of the dollar per square foot you ask us to increase our residents lease for. People pay for quality. We are not giving them that if you take time away from creating a community people can call home.

Jun 2, 2016 – Account Director

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that you’ve had a negative experience and would like to discuss your concerns more, as ensuring our on-site teams are focused on creating an amazing resident ... More

"Lowest paying Leasing Agents in Los Angeles Market"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time

Pros

schedule flexibility, health benefits, tuition reimbursement, slight employee discount on housing, opportunity to promote

Cons

communication, operations, organization, leasing structure, low commission, low hourly rate, housing discount is less in comparison to smaller companies, high rent costs.

Advice to Management

Remove the management structure where one person is expected to run two buildings. This is making your leasing teams seem corporate and less involved with community. Essex is no longer creating the communities people call home. They are high priced units with no community culture.

Mar 21, 2016 – Account Director

Thank you for letting us know about your experience working for Essex. We appreciate the kind words in the pros section of your review and would like to discuss the negative experiences you’ve had at ... More

8. "Help Desk analyst - temp"

Former Contractor - Help Desk Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Former Contractor - Help Desk Analyst in Irvine, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment plenty of work space to stretch out.

Cons

not the business fault but traffic on i-405 after 4PM

Jan 11, 2016 – Director of Culture and Engagement

Thanks for your nice review of our company. We work hard to ensure that all associates, including temporary and contract associates, feel welcome and appreciated, and we’re glad to see that you felt ... More

"BEWARE OF POOR MANAGEMENT"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The buildings are gorgeous!
    Growth opportunities are very possible because of company size.

Cons

The workplace environment is cold, negative, and filled with passive aggressive toxicity. There is no team feeling amongst staff, rather, gossip and condescension instead. I felt no motivation or support from upper management since my first day on the job. The condescending emails, harsh policies, and division between management and leasing specialists made it increasingly dreadful to punch in everyday.

They do a full credit and income verification for employee housing.This experience never felt like a cohesive workplace and I almost allowed the entire fiasco to harden me about this industry which I've otherwise fallen in love with.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on your community managers. When you're constantly losing great talent, look at their direct supervisors. Increase the base pay and launch a percentage system for commissions. We should get paid the same amount for a studio and two bedroom.

10. "service tech."

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

wish i was still there. a very good company to work for

Cons

property was under staffed , corporate was very slow to respond

Advice to Management

none

"Stable and good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granada Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granada Hills, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid business strategy and good benefits.

Cons

A very traditional work environment.