Cover image for Essex Property Trust

Join the conversation on

Real Estate

1.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/real-estate-5/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Essex Property Trust~3630
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Essex Property Trust? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Essex Property Trust employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Essex Property Trust and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee
    Featured Review

this is by far the best company i have worked for.

Apr 11, 2022 - Maintenance Supervisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

medical benefits, retirement benefits, and wellness benefits

Cons

i have yet to find anything in this company that would be considered a con

Sr. Human Resources Director

Thank you for your positive review. We really appreciate it. If there is anything you feel we could improve on, please reach out.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee

Good company

Feb 7, 2023 - Community Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good leadership and benefits. Good opportunities for growth

Cons

Property management has been tough due to the pandemic

3. Join the Essex Property Trust team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great Team and Rewarding Job

Feb 6, 2023 - Director of Community Management in San Mateo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Essex allows team members to take care of their customers. Providing housing and great service is a rewarding job over time. They grow the portfolio by building new communities, acquiring them and partnering with other developers. The constant growth allows for career growth for all associates. We have a many communities in each market, so it allows the teams to help each other when they are short staffed. This also allows for promotional opportunites in the same area - Most property Management promotions require you to move because buildings aren't close. Lots of support from Upper Management and a strong culture of collabortaion.

Cons

Long-time Upper Management has been turning over (retiring) the past few years, which is a bit scary, but it has all turned out okay so far.

Essex Property Trust Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We pride ourselves in ensuring growth is a part of our associate journey here at Essex. We will review your feedback with leadership and continue focusing on enhancing our associate's advancement and development. - Essex Human Resources.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great company with changes all for the better!

Feb 2, 2023 - General Manager in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Professional and considerate company to work for in the industry. - Amazing benefits including insurance, medical, vision, dental, 401K, EAP mental wellness, career apparel allowance, volunteer time off, wellness day off, and the list goes on. - Exceptional resources are provided to all employees. - Career development. It is an encouraged collaborative environment. - Environmental, social, and Governance conscious company. - Company culture is centered around integrity, mutual respect, passion, transparency, and trust. The company and employees truly live up to the company's expectations. - Work life balance is encouraged. - You will be recognized, rewarded, supported to continue ongoing education. - Customer centric to customers, associates, residents, and investors alike. - Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging. Overall, I enjoy coming to work and working alongside my coworkers and higher ups. I am looking forward continuing my future with Essex Property Trust. I truly recommend this company to anyone looking to advance their career in the multifamily industry.

Cons

I do not have any at this time.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 4.0

Great Company With Opportunity to Grow in Your Career

Feb 3, 2023 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I started my career at Essex almost two years ago and it's been a great experience so far. I've learned a lot in my role and about the multifamily housing industry, and have had the opportunity to grow my skillset and learn new skills, which have positively impacted my time here.

Cons

I don't have any cons, but this might be a con for others. Be open to internal changes that may impact your role, etc. and be willing to adapt.

Essex Property Trust Response

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback, and we are happy to hear that you've enjoyed your experience thus far at Essex. We also understand there is always an opportunity to improve and will share your feedback with Sr. Leadership. - Essex Human Resources.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great company

Jan 17, 2023 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Essex cares about the employees overall wellbeing. It's a company where you can stay and grow. The company is also doing great in its DEI journey.

Cons

Essex is headed in the right direction. And, I'd like to see the management continue to help our employees thrive.

Essex Property Trust Response

Thank you for your positive feedback. - Essex Human Resources.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Growth opportunities, great benefits, and excellent connections

Dec 1, 2022 - Sr Assistant Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've had the pleasure of working at Essex since late 2016 with a year break in between. I love the people I work and have made so many connections from on-site property admin to corporate C-level employees. Essex offers so many growth opportunities and your managers will help you grow. Housing discount, medical, and education reimbursement are the few benefits I've taken advantage of. Employee referrals are also high! $1000!!!

Cons

It seems that our asset collection sites may need some time to fully transition effectively

Essex Property Trust Response

Thank you for the positive review. We appreciate the feedback. Human Resources Department.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work and growth

Dec 1, 2022 - Community Relations Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to advance with the company if you set your goal to where you want to be. Essex is always acquiring more assets and providing ample tools and resources to the employees to be successful in their role.

Cons

Nothing to tell at this time

Essex Property Trust Response

Thank you for your kind words. If there is anything else we can do to enhance your experience, please do not hesitate to reach out. - Human Resources Department.

10. 5.0

Great Company!

Nov 2, 2022 - Sr. Legal Secretary in San Mateo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working at Essex for a little over a year now and couldn't ask for a better place to work. I really enjoy working with my team. I have a great manager who truly cares. Essex cares and values their associates. They go above and beyond to address the concerns of their associates and make the needed changes to accommodate all. They genuinely embrace diversity and culture. They have various associate appreciation events. They have great benefits, competitive pay, bonuses and other amazing incentives. They offer a great work/life balance which is very important, especially in this day and age. I have never worked for a company before that goes so above and beyond to show how much they truly appreciate their associates.

Cons

I don't have any cons to speak of.

Essex Property Trust Response

Thank you for the positive review. We appreciate the feedback.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing place to work! Couldn't be happier

Nov 4, 2022 -  in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love working for Essex. In my first 30 days, I can tell you they have great people, they value life/work balance, they are inclusive and everything they do is with the associates in mind. It feels like a family, building relationships is something the company values. They are progressive and very advanced with the technology they use. I am excited for the future of work at Essex. Additionally, I am super excited about the DEI progress the company is making by appointing a female CEO next year.

Cons

I can't think of anything because I have only had pleasant experiences here. I feel like I belong here. Everyone has been so welcoming and it's a fun place to work.

Essex Property Trust Response

Thank you for the great feedback, and welcome to Essex! We appreciate your kind words. If there is anything you need, we are here for you.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 659 Reviews
</>Embed

Essex Property Trust Reviews FAQs

Essex Property Trust has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 673 reviews left anonymously by employees. 80% of employees would recommend working at Essex Property Trust to a friend and 75% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Essex Property Trust employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Essex Property Trust. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

80% of Essex Property Trust employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Essex Property Trust 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Essex Property Trust to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management, compensation.

Popular Careers with Essex Property Trust Job Seekers