KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Michael Schall
Talk anonymously with Real Estate professionals

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management is terrible at responding to non management employees almost nonexistent unless they are actually at that property.(in 26 reviews)
  • "Pay is low.(in 25 reviews)
  • "No real oversight of regional managers and no one to assist when issues with the regionals arise.(in 22 reviews)
  • "Poor management.(in 14 reviews)
  • "My corporate training was unhelpful and made me look unprepared when I arrived on(in 11 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Essex Property Trust and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee
    Featured Review

this is by far the best company i have worked for.

Apr 11, 2022 - Maintenance Supervisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

medical benefits, retirement benefits, and wellness benefits

Cons

i have yet to find anything in this company that would be considered a con

Human Resources Director

Thank you for your feedback. We strive for operational excellence and we are happy to hear of your experience with us at Essex. We appreciate your contributions and know we are here if you need anything. Thank you again!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Amazing Company!!

Jul 1, 2022 - Executive Assistant in San Mateo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a company that truly cares about its people! Great benefits, culture, work-life balance, competitive salary, and most of all the amazing people!

Cons

Nothing comes to mind at this. Pretty happy!

Human Resources Director

Congratulations on your tenure and thank you for being a part of the company’s success over so many years. Thank you for sharing your positive experience. Everyone’s contributions are equally as significant and meaningful to the success we have achieved as an organization. We are always here to support our team members as they continue their journey. Thank you for your contributions!

3. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Interesting transition

Jun 29, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Full benefits, stability, teamwork, self growth

Cons

The roll out of asset collection really upset a lot of people, they didn’t like the fact that we were left in the dark about what was going on and it felt like a sink or swim kind of a thing. The belief of taking Sundays off thinking it would be good for the company puts the company in a bit of a bind especially when workers don’t get 2 consecutive days off having split days doesn’t really allow for a full recharge and the fact that PTO is needed to take 2 days off is super frustrating. It’s been said amongst some of the people that are not in a leadership position that it seems like the time of people in leadership roles are more important than those that continue to work hard to ensure that things run smoothly. I feel like while the roll out of asset collection could have been a great thing and the heart was there, transparency is super important.

Human Resources Director

Thank you for your feedback about recent changes at our organization. We make every attempt to focus on the balance of associate needs with business needs. We are committed to being open to this feedback and adjust as needed. We strongly believe in continuous improvement and that our work to be better never stops. We appreciate your contributions and your candid feedback. — Essex Human Resources — Essex Human Resources

4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not a bad company, but some policies are pretty messed up

May 1, 2022 - Maintenance Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Learn good trade skills Learn how to paint properly Have good leadership depending on the complex Pay isn't terrible tbh. It's not great, but I've seen worse pay.

Cons

I wanted to share this about the company which I think is really stupid. If you currently work there, and want to move to a new position, maybe one that pays more, is a higher grade position, etc, and you've been at your current position less than 6 months, your current supervisor has the official say of whether or not you are able to transfer to that position. It doesn't matter if you have had 20+ years in maintenance/construction and they didn't have this position open before. Your manager, no, not what would be your NEW manager, your current manager can deny that application, meaning you're stuck there for at least 6 months. I think this policy is absolutely horrible. I was denied this at first, but I had to fight tooth and nail to get my manager to allow my application to go through. Unbelievable especially since I had 10+ years in maintenance. Same thing goes with the next policy which is you HAVE to tell your current supervisor about you applying for a new job within Essex, otherwise your application won't go anywhere. If you live in the complex and get an employee discount, once you leave, they have the ability to kick you out of the apartment within 3 days. That means you may be out on the street if you get a job elsewhere and they don't want to give you a new lease.

3 people found this review helpful

Human Resources Director

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your recognition of opportunity and growth for our associates. We are however, concerned with your comments surrounding our policies as what you've described does not truly reflect our current policies. We would like the opportunity to discuss these policies in detail to ensure you have a full understanding.

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Too Many Changes

Apr 20, 2022 - Leasing Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company offers good benefits and PTO.

Cons

Before, the collections model came in, many people I knew were satisfied. Over time, after the collections model came in, we saw a huge corporate restructure. Responsibilities and policies kept on changing , and at times not many people would have the answers they needed. Another big challenge was when leasing agents in different communities were all mixed in. When that took place, the competition grew, then lease renewals were taken away making it a necessity for leasers to only rely on leases for their commission on top of an unreasonable base pay. The worst thing was that the growth opportunities were cut out! Therefore, there was no path to a brighter future with all these changes in play because leasing agents were encouraged to continue to stay in the department and solely focus on leasing regardless of how fair they would treat each other. Furthermore, it has become even more hostile over time. Another big issue was that management had provided minimal training for their staff and in some cases, some managers were poor in their leadership skills. The sad thing was that, a lot of the training taught prior to collections coming in place was offered to new employees joining. Management offered no encouragement during challenging times and there was no concern for the issues leasing agents had or the challenges employees preventing employees for growth. Favoritism is another issues that had existed. If a manager liked someone more than you, they would give more attention to that person and give them more opportunities to go after business. There was also a lot of gossip spreading around which made it very uncomfortable to work in the office.

4 people found this review helpful

Human Resources Director

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about our company. We appreciate the kind words regarding benefits and also understand the concerns you’ve expressed regarding our how our staff is structured. We know change can be challenging. Please know that we are committed to listening to the concerns of all of our associates. Thank you again.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Essex culture is the best in the industry!

Jun 18, 2022 - Leasing Consultant in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Essex culture is all about inclusivity and transparency, promoting a work life balance by providing associates with benefits that encourage a healthy and inspirational lifestyle/career. I am grateful to have such great leaders, and an amazing mentor to help me develop skills necessary to strive in the industry!

Cons

As the company undergoes transitions to further develop the operation side of things, this can bring some hiccups in some roles. However, being flexible and having an open mind about it can go a long way, and also with the support from leadership teams makes this transition easier.

Human Resources Director

Thank you for your feedback. We strive for operational excellence and we are happy to hear of your experience with us at Essex. We also understand there is always opportunity to enhance our associate experience. We appreciate the suggestions and appreciate the 5 star rating! - Essex Human Resources

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Essex is Revolutionazing the Property Management Model

Apr 8, 2022 - Portfolio Sales Manager in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Essex Property Trust has taken a huge leap into the future by implementing a new way of operating our communities and overall business needs. Asset Collections is the name, and it has created specialized positions within our organization that assign staff to do what they are best at. Our communities are being grouped and staff assigned to manage specific tasks in a larger scale, allowing us to focus on what we are all good at and avoid being pulled in a hundred different directions as the traditional way of managing assets goes. Essex has also taken a great step in upgrading their compensation package. Through Asset Collections, a new pay structure has given us a more lucrative and competitive pay scale that show their appreciation for the employees. In 2022, Essex also pushed their life/work balance model to impressive levels, closing all offices on Sundays, providing us with additional time off, a National Parks Annual Pass and bonuses. Essex is taking pride in being a company driven by employee satisfaction. I welcome anyone to experience the future of Property Management with Essex.

Cons

Health insurance coverage has taken a few steps in the wrong direction, with premiums and copays going up.

Human Resources Director

Thank you for your kind words and congratulations on your tenure with Essex. Our E-Team is the core of our business and appreciate your contributions. If there is anything you need to support you in this journey, please contact us.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Opportunities & Growth: If you put in the effort.

Apr 11, 2022 - Multi-Site Community Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for Essex for almost 6 years, starting out as an Assistant Community Manager at one of the East Bay Communities. The Essex that I started with has changed considerably and is only slightly recognizable. Generally, that can seem like a bad thing, but instead, it shows that we change with time, feedback, and what associates and residents are expecting. The changes can sometimes be slow, and sometimes they happen at a breakneck speed - but they allow for each associate to develop new skills and provide better working environments, tools, and employee/prospect/resident experiences. If you adapt, learn, and grow - you will see that you are provided with more opportunities and challenges. Throughout all the years at Essex, one thing remains absolute - there is always help and support.

Cons

As mentioned above - some changes happen slowly or quickly, and sometimes the changes can have an awkward acclimation period. Back-end departments are working on making rollouts less cumbersome, but just do what you can as you can. Some of the opportunities that came up were sometimes opportunities that should have had a larger compensation package tied to them, but over the years that has seemed to dissapate as an issue.

9. 5.0