Essilor Reviews | Glassdoor

Essilor President Eric Leonard
Eric Leonard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Mobility, Work-life balance as well" (in 14 reviews)

• "Company tends to make major changes in upper management very often" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to grow your career and yourself."

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Essilor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, management helps develop your skills so that you can grow your career. There is a common goal of helping people see better which strengthens our employee relationships. It's very rewarding knowing that we make products that improves our customer's lives.

Cons

It's a big company that is sometimes slow and resistant to change but they are getting better. Communication between divisions could be better.

Advice to Management

Be open to new ideas.

2. "Excellent and Balanced Employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Essilor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional Team, work-life Balance,

Cons

Sometimes the business environment is a little too 'silo' driven. Too often I see duplication of efforts between teams.

"If Essilor Could Get Rid Of Us All They Would To Save a Buck"

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Essilor full-time

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Great people in immediate team

Cons

Pay is terrible
    Bonus is terrible
    Too many unqualified people in management
    Company does not invest in employees

Advice to Management

Pay more - you do not invest in people. We complete at least 3 surveys a year and nothing changes. The people in management should find another line of work. This company is the worst about playing the blame game instead of addressing and fixing any issues. The work environment is so hostile that you dread going in every day.

"Mostly Good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Essilor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is as much job mobility in Essilor as you want. If you have the drive to grow and make connections, you can go anywhere and do anything in this company.

The culture in the Dallas HQ is very friendly. Everyone is kind and outgoing, the workday is usually very pleasant.

The benefits seem to be good, 401k matching is stellar.

Very stable company (for the most part)

Cons

The salary is typically below market or toward the bottom of market rates

Some groups have a "french ceiling" where the growth is limited for American employees

HR and Talent Development is really in your own hands. Essilor has not been so great at keeping good talent here

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping good talent: pay people a fair wage for the role they are playing in the organization. Pay for the certifications and education they need to be better

"Only Marketing offers growth and worse in Finance BA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Essilor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Direct team members, 6% 401k no vesting period. Flexibility depends on your manager.

Cons

Ugh! The accounting an finance team is the absolute worse. Diversity is one of their official values yet still there is racism. The worse kind of racism is hidden racism. They put women in cmo and cfo positions and scream diversity yet still bias to minority in lower positions. If you a a French or Caucasian dude you’ll grow if not pray to that fairy godmother because you will need a lot of it and am afraid it’s not enough. There’s no amount of hard work that’s enough, none. Pay raise is 3% if sales goals “are met”. That’s the point because sales goals are unrealistically high that no amount of achievement is enough meaning you won’t get pay raise. The job description you were given when hired will double by end of year one with recurring task that are not ad hoc.

Bias, nepotism, racism. The only people they are good to are interns. Essilor paid so much severance pay you begin to wonder what for. If your pay check is high you better have plan B because you will have a surprise breakfast of “we decided to let you go”. No am not a grumpy employee, asking for what is fair is unrealistic at Essilor. If you work here, you know what am saying and if you are interviewing “ye will come to know “. Every week housekeeping is cleaning a cubicle of an employee that left, people leave so fast like Kroger checkout lines. They don’t care, they are always hiring. Oh and that unlimited vacation is just to look good on paper, if you want anything more than two weeks at a time you need VP approval.

Advice to Management

doe it matter? They don’t listen we filled enough surveys they made no difference.

"Old guard company - hostile to new hires"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Essilor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Profitable company as it is pretty much a monopoly in the lens manufacturing industry. Good roles and growth in Marketing Department (only).

Cons

IT, Finance, Accounting and Operations teams are filled with good ol' boys at the Senior and Middle Management levels. It is hard for newcomers to grow and become a successful part of the company as the management is suspicious of anyone outside their club.

Advice to Management

Breakup the no-change party and bring in new people who are empowered to implement change, rather than reshuffle the same old folks.

"Great start"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Essilor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

work life balance and benefits

Cons

the culture need to change

Advice to Management

The culture and values that the company stands for is not being met. This is something that definitely need to be addressed.

8. "Inspector"

Current Employee - Inspection in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Inspection in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Essilor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work there 30 years I need help with management.

Cons

They treat me awful old chairs no respect. Talk behind my back , give me a job picking up tiny screws .my job is to inspector. Trying to make me quit?

Advice to Management

I love my job that I have been doing for years.

"Don’t Bother, Unless"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmers Branch, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmers Branch, TX

I worked at Essilor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salary and bonus plan.
    Benefits are on par with others in DFW.
    Good place to start, but not long term (see Cons).

Cons

Most in Management are more concerned about their roles due to the impending merger with Luxottica later this year.

Often Senior Executives are inconsistent in their priorities and subsequent guidance.
    Some have gone “tribal”, and are not in sync with other areas of responsibility’s initiatives, causing a waste of time and resources. This causes confusion, uncertainty and doubt in the related Line organizations.

HR is pushing for younger and more diverse hires and promotions, often without regard to actual talent.
    Unfortunately, most senior level promotions are based on “who you know”, rather than on what you know.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the business you’re paid to run (today) rather than where you’ll be after the merger, the employees can see your lack of focus and coordination on the ongoing enterprise.

10. "great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Essilor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

company has a lot of great opportunities

Cons

i can not name one

Advice to Management

none