Esurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Esurance President Jonathan Adkisson
Jonathan Adkisson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No work-life balance, impossible to get time off without, in some cases, four to five months notice (in 26 reviews)

• No work life balance, heavy workloads, and no light at the end of the tunnel as of right now (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Refreshingly modern company that is on the move"

Current Employee - Manager in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful culture that is reminiscent of the way some of the fastest growing insurance companies were 15 years ago when everyone knew each other. As Allstate's Direct carrier they are focused and primed for growth in a way that the larger carriers are not. If you are looking to hitch your wagon to a rising star on the way up, Esurance is the place to be.

Cons

The campus is beautiful and the cafeteria has great food but it would be nice if there was also a full sized gym.

Advice to Management

Continue to put the pieces in place for growth but don't let go of the friendly atmosphere where everyone knows and supports each other.

"Read the review"

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started my career at Esurance and have transitioned roles during my time. I have had the opportunity to define my interests and have the support of my managers and coworkers to explore them and enhance my skills. It's more investment than I could have expected. For many associates, they are building strong foundations for their careers here, and many times, growing their careers here.

My experience with work/life balance has been good here. I work my own schedule, I never take work home (physically or mentally), and I know this is pretty true across the board. I think more intense teams like IT probably have it a little more tough, but we're an online insurance company. They have a lot of responsibility in keeping us running.

We have company values that really resonate across the company. Sure they can come off cheesy, but I have coworkers who live and breath our values. And that's pretty awesome. It connects them to their work and drives them on. Plus, we have a culture the celebrates our diversity. We have employee resource groups that celebrate and encourage the development of traditionally underrepresented groups in the work place. I think that's pretty cool!

Cons

The leadership of the company needs to be open to hearing from the associates. Their concerns and insight. And I think that our company leadership want that, but somewhere along the chain of command, people are discouraged from speaking up. It's not about fear of retaliation. I think overtime associates have just heard "we can't do that", "that's just the way it is", or have been told that it's not a good idea to give feedback. To be fair, some people are just complaining, and their attitudes ruin it for everyone. But there are many who do have good ideas who should be heard and encouraged to speak.

In regards to benefits, if you're single, we have pretty good benefits. I think with the current state of health care in the country right now, no company has great health benefits right now, unless you're Google or Apple. I wish it was better, but hey, I'm insured and that's what matters.

Advice to Management

A little more communication and transparency. We want to know we're doing well, but if we're struggling or came up short on something, tell us. It's all our responsibility to make Esurance successful. I don't mean pass on the blame, I mean pass on the lessons, what we know we can do better, and then give us the opportunity to help.

And let's work on getting people to stop perpetuating a culture of "we can't do that" and "be careful what you say". (Unless they're just being complainers. We don't need that negativity either).

3. "QA Specialist"

Former Employee - QA Specialist in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - QA Specialist in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment and Fun atmosphere.

Cons

There are None in my opinion.

4. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Good management who actually care about you.
    2. Good team members who are always ready to help and very friendly.
    3. Company culture is excellent.
    4. IT department is leaping forward with greatest and latest technologies and creating lot of awesome applications.
    5. Scope to learn lot of new things.
    6. Good benefits.

Cons

None

"Not a happy camper"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No pros at this moment.

Cons

Very little room for growth. Moral is low. Used to be a great environment. So many have come and gone so fast. Too many changes.

Esurance Response

Aug 28, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you feel that environment has changed and it not as great as it used to be. I would really appreciate the opportunity... More

"If you work in the SF office be prepared to use your politician's skills"

I worked at Esurance full-time

Pros

somewhat of a new tech stack.
    great engineers

Cons

some teams work very long hours

7. "Analyst"

I worked at Esurance full-time

Pros

Great place to work, lots of room to grow

Cons

More progression/promotions would have been better

8. "Not a very good place"

Current Employee - Data Analyst
    Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at Esurance full-time

Pros

Can't think of any pro to write about.

Cons

One of the worse place to work at. Unless you are ok working with incompetent, conniving and scheming people or you are one, do yourself a favor and stay away.

9. "Don't say anything bad...."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers. Free coffee and tea. Cafe next door (location). Two personal holidays a year. Tuition reimbursement. Bonuses for getting certification like AIC or PMP

Cons

Health benefits are essentially catastrophe insurance if you have a family. $6k deductible. Poor management-- regardless of how many times you ask for written directives they still refuse to commit anything in writing. You get marked down on audits for things that there is no reference to. Retaliation if you say anything negative in an employee survey. Two managers for the same unit- one gets mad if the other knows something before them and employees get caught in the cross hairs. Unprofessional and at times unethical managers in the unit. New method of liability makes liability adjusters' decisions more unethical than anything.

Advice to Management

Stop putting so much emphasis on Surveys. If you tailor your company to subprime insureds then they're likely to be placed at fault anyway. You're making employees cater to these customers as if they're always right. It's insurance, NOT Burger King. The customer can ACTUALLY be wrong, especially when they BACK in to another car.

Poor management needs to be reprimanded when they do something wrong rather than just continuing to let them be tyrants. I've been at this company for over a decade and the last few years the company has gone downhill. I can see that managers don't want to make their employees do what they are doing but the constant answer is "it's coming from above". Fix this- several GOOD people have left and more will be leaving soon.

10. "Upper Management micromanages"

I have been working at Esurance full-time

Pros

Nice campus and the other employees are nice.

Cons

Poor upper management with no concept of work life balance.

Advice to Management

Hire folks in upper management who were actually born in the US.