Esurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Esurance President Jonathan Adkisson
Jonathan Adkisson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life Balance : They will call you anytime in night to fix "Urgent" issue (in 25 reviews)

• I went to work from home and was completely unsupported (in 7 reviews)

"For a sales job not where u want to be"

Current Employee - Sales in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Sales in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere in the office had some great managers that taught great selling skills. Work from home is also a benefit to agents

Cons

When I started 3 years ago top selling agents were making $5000 to $7000 a month in bonus then a new compensation plan comes out still top agents could earn $3000 and above now with being profitable which means laying people off and cutting sales agents bonuses now top agents for the most part will make $1200 to $2000 a month with a few exceptions from maybe 3 or 4 agents who may make more. We did get more money in our base pay but it doesn't add up to the lost money in bonus payout. A lot of agents are leaving but I think this was the plan all along to have agents quit without Esurance laying more people off. In just 3 years this company went from the best place to work to now looking for a new job.

Advice to Management

Stop the crazy changes with incentive payout. In just 3 years it's changed like 7 times. You are losing great agents and creating a sales environment where the agent just doesn't try as hard as the money just isn't there. We all understand we need to be profitable but how about we advertise to the right customers do more home advertising we aren't progressive where agents get a annual bonus we aren't that big yet to do that.

Jul 12, 2017 – Branch Sales Manager

Thank you for your feedback. The associate experience is one of our key priorities and creating a great atmosphere is very important to us. We also take great pride in our work at home program and... More

"Same people with new titles. Company in the crossroads"

Current Employee - IT - Software Development Manager in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - IT - Software Development Manager in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you are in the San Francisco office AND get close to the management whisperers, this is a good place. Other offices did not get anywhere close to the recognition they deserve. New technologies being tried but limited to sfo. Pay is at par.

Cons

No innovation in IT and the it is the same 3 or 4 folks who are leading new initiatives that has not done well. This is true with the last 4 years big initiatives. New technologies are not being vetted and being worked in silos with no visibility. Money and time poorly spent. Culturally sfo and rocklin IT are completely 2 different offices

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what are the commonalities with each of the implementations. Trying out new things is good but check if you have the right folks to implement. Try out new people and other offices

"If you ain't growing, your dying and Esurance is dying"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great office, good people. Free coffee, Work from home is available in most departments. No more pros to add. Sorry

Cons

This company was built for growth. Allstate wants the company to be profitable now. Unfortunately this company has never be profitable in its 17 years. Allstate has trimmed the marketing budget, layed off hundreds of employees but still no where near profitable.

Advice to Management

To little to late.

Jun 27, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I agree that the people are amazing here! Our leadership team has a vision and a plan to build on the success that we have attained over the past 17 years... More

"Chronically "Restructuring" Not Stable"

Former Employee - Licensed Client Services Agent III in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Licensed Client Services Agent III in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Esurance does an exceptional job hiring really sweet people. My co-workers were amazing.

Cons

Due to the chronic restructuring, they promote managers with little experience because they are cheaper to promote than those who understand what the hell they are talking about. I am a licensed property and casualty insurance agent and my boss couldn't even pass her insurance exam. When I had a question pertaining to the legality of a contract or exception to state law, I didn't have a resource to trust. I went to work from home and was completely unsupported. They "let go" anyone who knew what they were doing or stood up for something that mattered.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote people that are qualified, not cheap.

I appreciate change and look forward to working for a progressive company that aims for great customer satisfaction and efficiency, but don't lie - Y'all aren't living up to Allstate's expectations and your sugarmama funds are in jeopardy. Quit being so reactive and work on finding clients that aren't bottom of the insurance barrel.

Jun 27, 2017 – Customer Service Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Our goal is to always promote the most qualified person for the job, whether that be a leader or a frontline agent. We strive to make changes necessary for growth and... More

"IT is scary right now"

Former Employee - IT Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location in San Francisco. Some really dedicated people who try hard. I really hope they can get things going and impress the parent company.

Cons

Not enough talented people to get the job done. A lot of management are patriarchal. Goals are tied more to management success vs. company values. Software launched to make the date is often not ready and should be delayed. There was a recent layoff of 100 people including people there a long time.

Advice to Management

Be much more transparent.

"Sales Agent"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Esurance full-time

Pros

friendly atmosphere, convenient office location

Cons

below-average compensation, poor work/life balance, very poor advancement opportunities, chaotic strategic business strategy that changes almost quarterly. It's a small company with big company red tape.

Advice to Management

You've had eighteen years to figure out how to run an insurance company. It still feels like a start-up, and not the fun kind. Use scientific method when creating strategy and consult successful insurance managers elsewhere, if needed. Address problems immediately, instead of allowing them to fester and complicate the whole project.

Mar 21, 2017 – Sales Director

Thank you for your feedback. While we’ve worked very hard to help people navigate through the recent changes to make us a more customer-focused sales organization, we do understand that a lot of... More

"Software Developer At Esurance"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Project line, very good chance to improve your skills, flexibility of work

Cons

lot of Micro Management, Favoritism, lack of management skills

Advice to Management

Management should seriously Try to eliminate managers who do Favoritism, And Architects who does not know what they are doing. lot of layers which are created to avoid doing work and pressurize the lover level software Developer.

"Operations not Operating"

Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The lower level employees are absolutely fantastic. Great team set ups across the board.

Location is right by the waterfront. Great place to go for a walk, (if your manager lets you.)

Cons

Upper management is very out of touch. A lot of old world thinkers there, and frankly, it just doesn't keep up in the Silicon Valley.

There is hardly any oversight of bad management. There a few rotten eggs that keep driving whole teams away, but nobody is doing anything about it.

HR is very friendly, but not useful as far as affecting management change.

Advice to Management

Top-down management style needs to go. There needs to be more input from the teams themselves, and definitely stricter oversight of managers.

Jan 30, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

I could not agree more, our associates and teams are fantastic, across the board! Our leadership team regularly solicits and responds to feedback from associates. Creating a culture where all... More

"Find something better"

Current Employee - Service in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Service in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good coworkers(non management).. Good pay.. Free coffee... Free wifi... Good schedules... Cant think of much else that makes the place better than anywhere else..

Cons

You are never treated like an adult or a human for that matter by anyone in management above you... Treated like a 5 yr old on daily basis even though you go above and beyond and do your job with excellence... Any perks that are given to you don't last long.. They get taken away.. They are only concerned about numbers and dollars... Not you or your family... Yet they don't understand why morale is so low???

Advice to Management

Maybe quit taking all the perks away... Quit treating associates like children.. Maybe actually care for each one of us on a personal level and how we feel.. Actually take our concerns and ideas to heart and listen to our suggestions... Quit changing our job descriptions on the sly and making us do jobs we didn't even apply for.. I could go on and on....
    I have worked at Esurance for many.. Many years..

Feb 13, 2017 – Customer Service Manager

We appreciate your feedback here. Esurance strives to provide a great work atmosphere where every associate is treated with respect and has a voice. As we continue to grow, we are constantly... More

"Standard call center"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Esurance pays relatively well considering the work which is required, and the people who work there are great. They offer good work-from-home opportunities, as well as a lot of support during training and while still getting used to the job.

Cons

As a company, Esurance views it's associates mostly as just numbers, rather than real people. It stems from the corporate mentality that all costs must be controlled, and management seems to support this blindly instead of questioning the validity of the direction they are given. Additionally, there is very little work/life balance which is given, and the productivity which is required is beyond that of any other call center you could work at, making it just barely worth the pay. Lastly, there is very little opportunity to advance. They almost never hire for other departments or hire into management.

Advice to Management

Relax a little. Start looking at your reps like real people instead of numbers, and learn to give a little room. Stop worrying so much about controlling costs and plan things which will help with employee engagement.

Jan 16, 2017 – Customer Service Manager

We appreciate the feedback here. Esurance is constantly seeking to make the best decisions for our business—this includes our customers and associates. As part of the leadership team we do... More