Esurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Esurance President Jonathan Adkisson
Jonathan Adkisson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No work-life balance, impossible to get time off without, in some cases, four to five months notice (in 26 reviews)

• No work life balance, heavy workloads, and no light at the end of the tunnel as of right now (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Refreshingly modern company that is on the move"

Current Employee - Manager in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful culture that is reminiscent of the way some of the fastest growing insurance companies were 15 years ago when everyone knew each other. As Allstate's Direct carrier they are focused and primed for growth in a way that the larger carriers are not. If you are looking to hitch your wagon to a rising star on the way up, Esurance is the place to be.

Cons

The campus is beautiful and the cafeteria has great food but it would be nice if there was also a full sized gym.

Advice to Management

Continue to put the pieces in place for growth but don't let go of the friendly atmosphere where everyone knows and supports each other.

2. "Not a happy camper"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No pros at this moment.

Cons

Very little room for growth. Moral is low. Used to be a great environment. So many have come and gone so fast. Too many changes.

"IT Dept management is horrible"

I worked at Esurance full-time

Pros

i got an opportunity to learn new technology

Cons

Their managers in IT are horrible to say the least. Nepotism and favoritism has led to many undeserving people promoted to upper management. As a result they don't understand how to manage people and expect people to be brown-nosers. Good developers leave as they don't want to work for a BOSS who does not understand tech nor take responsibility for their failures and point fingers at others. There is a lot of people from Indian (asian) descent and they think that just because their title is manager or director, they can do whatever they want typical INDIAN BABU culture. Worklife balance is not there for developers, you will be called anytime to fix issues. I got regular calls at 2 AM even later. They depend heavily on people waiting for their green cards and abuse these workers as they know that they can’t change jobs easily. Pay is on the lower side of market and bonuses and promotions are only handed over to manager’s pets. The atmosphere is vicious teams work in silos, i saw that a senior manager and her team did not cooperate with another manager in their the delivery of a major initiative, lots of blame game. The company lost huge amount of money and time because of petty politics. They interview you for a certain position and low ball you with a lower position, so never accept a lower position as getting a promotion is very difficult. There is very less room to fail, so people are always trying to blame others. They make everybody sign a dignity pledge but it's funny how managers don't follow the pledge. Threats blame game, and making someone scapegoat is real. Don’t join if you want to work in american culture….

Advice to Management

Sack your entire line of managers and directors in IT dept and hire some fresh (diverse in Race )people... Talented Developers will stay only if managers behave like leaders and not like a BOSS.. Make appraisals and reviews more transparent and dependent on entire team and not just the managers...

4. "Sales Agent"

I worked at Esurance full-time

Pros

Consistent influx of business/opportunity to secure sales

Cons

Consistent changes to commission structure at the cost of the employee

5. "Awful management. Required to work long hours."

Current Employee - PIp Adjuster in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - PIp Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Other departments except for claims seem okay.

Cons

Everything else. Management especially.

Advice to Management

Quit. Replace with leaders who know how to treat their own people or at least have better personalities for management.

6. "Rapid Response"

I have been working at Esurance full-time

Pros

Esurance cares about its employees and customers

Cons

I don't see any cons I love my job

Advice to Management

Management is awesome

"Company has positives and negatives"

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people/co-workers. CEO is very nice and approachable. Salary and bonuses were decent for my position.

Cons

Unorganized in my department, poor management, delay on promotions and very minimal raises across the board.

Advice to Management

Be more organized and communicate more effectively. Balance between your own work and managing others, don't focus solely on your own work.

"Customer advocate supervisor."

Current Employee - Customer Advocate Supervisor in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Customer Advocate Supervisor in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Esurance (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're looking for a decently paid entry level position, and not a career, just looking to come to work do your thing and get a paycheck, might as well come to Esurance. In that respect might as well get any one of a thousand other jobs, Esurance has absolutely nothing to set itself apart from other entry level positions in a good way.

Cons

No work-life balance, impossible to get time off without, in some cases, four to five months notice. No incentive to do good, no rewards for being exceptional. Absolutely no advancement, they promise you things and then they don't follow through on them. I was promised monthly bonuses if I came to the my current position, and those monthly bonuses were taken away on my very first day in my new position . Lower management actually knows what's going on, and will sometimes go to bat for you for upper management, but lower management can't really do anything, and upper management doesn't care. Line items and numbers is all upper management cares about. I really cannot say enough cons about this place. Zero schedule flexibility, zero support, many supervisors were promoted by inexperience managers, based on arbitrary things, and know little to nothing about basically anything, not even insurance. In many cases external hires are chosen over-seasoned proven employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on the front line. You look at numbers all day, by they actually know what's going on.

"Stopped Listening to Reality"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Young, Dynamic Company willing to try new tactics and business models

Cons

New management after Allstate acquisition out of touch with peers, subordinates.
    Some new mgt members inexperienced in industry/managing actual people as staff.

Advice to Management

Technology is wonderful and a definite part of making our future more efficient.
    You must still treat your staff like the caring people that helped to create what your company is today. That has changed since 2014. Just listen to the people in the field. It's not rocket science.

Esurance Response

Jul 18, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We pride ourselves on being an innovative company that leverages technology to provide a modern and engaging experience for our customers and associates. We... More

10. "benefit is OK. Not for actuary"

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefict is OK. work is easy.

Cons

benefit for actuary is not competitive.