Esurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Esurance Reviews

Updated March 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • They recognize a good work life balance (in 31 reviews)

• s also possible to work from home on occasion (in 29 reviews)

"Used to be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a great environment
    Some departments have flexible scheduling and work at home options

Cons

Don't know when to abandon failing ideas and continue to waste limited resources on them while the rest of the business suffers

Advice to Management

Make up your mind. Focus on one thing and stop going in so many counter productive directions. Intelligently reduce operating cost. Your current plan is very short sighted and will hurt the company

Mar 1, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. We do offer flexible schedules , which many associates find very helpful! We have clearly defined priorities, which are shared by our President at the Quarterly Town ... More

"Software Developer At Esurance"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Project line, very good chance to improve your skills, flexibility of work

Cons

lot of Micro Management, Favoritism, lack of management skills

Advice to Management

Management should seriously Try to eliminate managers who do Favoritism, And Architects who does not know what they are doing. lot of layers which are created to avoid doing work and pressurize the lover level software Developer.

3. "Client Services I"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere. Strong core values that are focused on and shared amongst all employees. Great pay and benefits. Easy to continue career growth and move into different departments. Amazing Human Resources staff that will help with anything from personal to work related questions. Fantastic Work at Home Program that is moving with the modern world. Awesome place to grow as a person.

Cons

Be prepared for the material you learn to update frequently. Technology and software does delay at times and may make job more difficult but with is being proactively worked on to prevent further issues.

Advice to Management

Please continue to reward our services, we appreciate being appreciated! Continue the advancement of better software and computers.

Feb 13, 2017 – Customer Service Manager

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoy the work atmosphere and have been provided the support you need. Our focus continues to be on innovation and giving you the tools you need to do the ... More

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Sales in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Sales in Greenville, SC

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing positive except they pay for your license!

Cons

always over promise! If you do make good money they will change comp plan never know what direction there going.

Advice to Management

Stop changing comp plan. And allow work life balance

Mar 1, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback, as we care about our associates, and want them to understand the reasons behind our decisions. Our sales strategy continues to be focused on making a difference for our ... More

"Sales Agent"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There aren't any pros outside of them paying for your license.

Cons

Where should I start? Leadership does not care. The benefits are the worst. The sales incentive plan is used to bait profitable growth without the frontline (sales agent) making any more money. Leadership lacks industry experience. TURNOVER is the highest I've ever seen with any company. The company is not growing in fact you will see shrinking. The opportunity for advancement does not exist. The office moral is horrible. Leadership believes people WILL WORK FOR FOOD as opposed to working for money to support their family. This is a just a call center job with no opportunities for advancement. The calls are routed using a priority routing system that can make or break your ability to fairly make money.

Advice to Management

Take away the sales incentive plan. Clearly you don't want people to make money as you keep changing the incentive program to prevent such. You can sell a dream on this so called uncapped incentive program, but people are starting to wake up and look for other jobs. You would be better off taking away the incentive plan and offering a year end bonus. This would allow you to open up OT opportunities for those peak times. This would also allow you to have more financially lucrative spiffs. The 3 major carriers in the area (USAA, Geico, and Progressive) all found this effective. Plus, with the high turnover you would save money. Next, the ASM's do not live into the core values. Here's a floor spiff. Why not have the ASM's get on the phones for 5 hours a week and demonstrate their ability to sell in this ever changing environment that you have created. Let the ASM's compete for a reward for their team, but this will also spotlight the ASM's who lack the ability to coach behaviors that they themselves cannot produce. Selling during the wild west days does not measure your ability to sell or coach someone to sell at peak performance.

Feb 27, 2017 – Sales Director

7. "Actuarial Analyst"

Former Employee - Actuarial Research Analyst in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - Actuarial Research Analyst in Corona, CA

I worked at Esurance (More than a year)

Pros

Workload was very light, people are nice and helpful

Cons

Organization has a lot of directional changes

8. "Good company"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Esurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met great people here. It was a call center environment. There were great callers and really awful callers. The job itself was okay, but the coworkers are why I stayed as long as I did.

Cons

Call center environment. It was annoying having every second accounted for should you take a gulp of water between calls considering you are literally speaking 8 hours a day. I lost my voice a few times due to this.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like adult human beings. You wouldn't have such a high turn over if you did this. It would help your sales increase as well I bet.

Jan 25, 2017 – Sales Director

Thank you for your feedback and we agree that we have great associates working in our call centers. Our approach continues to be focused on making a difference for our customers. We have a balanced ... More

"Operations not Operating"

Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The lower level employees are absolutely fantastic. Great team set ups across the board.

Location is right by the waterfront. Great place to go for a walk, (if your manager lets you.)

Cons

Upper management is very out of touch. A lot of old world thinkers there, and frankly, it just doesn't keep up in the Silicon Valley.

There is hardly any oversight of bad management. There a few rotten eggs that keep driving whole teams away, but nobody is doing anything about it.

HR is very friendly, but not useful as far as affecting management change.

Advice to Management

Top-down management style needs to go. There needs to be more input from the teams themselves, and definitely stricter oversight of managers.

Jan 30, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

I could not agree more, our associates and teams are fantastic, across the board! Our leadership team regularly solicits and responds to feedback from associates. Creating a culture where all ... More

"Find something better"

Current Employee - Service in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Service in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good coworkers(non management).. Good pay.. Free coffee... Free wifi... Good schedules... Cant think of much else that makes the place better than anywhere else..

Cons

You are never treated like an adult or a human for that matter by anyone in management above you... Treated like a 5 yr old on daily basis even though you go above and beyond and do your job with excellence... Any perks that are given to you don't last long.. They get taken away.. They are only concerned about numbers and dollars... Not you or your family... Yet they don't understand why morale is so low???

Advice to Management

Maybe quit taking all the perks away... Quit treating associates like children.. Maybe actually care for each one of us on a personal level and how we feel.. Actually take our concerns and ideas to heart and listen to our suggestions... Quit changing our job descriptions on the sly and making us do jobs we didn't even apply for.. I could go on and on....
    I have worked at Esurance for many.. Many years..

Feb 13, 2017 – Customer Service Manager

We appreciate your feedback here. Esurance strives to provide a great work atmosphere where every associate is treated with respect and has a voice. As we continue to grow, we are constantly ... More

"Standard call center"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Esurance pays relatively well considering the work which is required, and the people who work there are great. They offer good work-from-home opportunities, as well as a lot of support during training and while still getting used to the job.

Cons

As a company, Esurance views it's associates mostly as just numbers, rather than real people. It stems from the corporate mentality that all costs must be controlled, and management seems to support this blindly instead of questioning the validity of the direction they are given. Additionally, there is very little work/life balance which is given, and the productivity which is required is beyond that of any other call center you could work at, making it just barely worth the pay. Lastly, there is very little opportunity to advance. They almost never hire for other departments or hire into management.

Advice to Management

Relax a little. Start looking at your reps like real people instead of numbers, and learn to give a little room. Stop worrying so much about controlling costs and plan things which will help with employee engagement.

Jan 16, 2017 – Customer Service Manager

We appreciate the feedback here. Esurance is constantly seeking to make the best decisions for our business—this includes our customers and associates. As part of the leadership team we do ... More