Esurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 9, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance although constantly talked about was lacking (in 29 reviews)

• Upper management is very out of touch (in 16 reviews)

"Long time Employee"

I worked at Esurance full-time

Pros

Somewhat decent pay for the area.

Cons

Management has favorites. Morale is at a all time low. They recently had a mass lay off and released many employees who were loyal to the company for 10+ years each but kept some supervisors who do nothing as they are management "favorites". Currently they are suffering from a huge turn over rate due to sloppy management decisions. Many long time employees are leaving to find better employment and jobs where they will be respected and not micro managed. Esurance was successful because at one time they were "unique" but now everyone has a online option. The company is currently in panic mode, trying to remain relevant. The clock is ticking until the parent company pulls the plug.

2. "All things considered, good place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Esurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training was great! Very informative and made the process of obtaining license easy.

Cons

Felt at times standards were not upheld as they should be.

"Make an exit"

I worked at Esurance full-time

Pros

Free fruits and organic milk.

Cons

HR exit interview is a useless thing. No feedback is taken into consideration.
    Lots of people are leaving and management is blind folded.
    It's a House of Politics.

Advice to Management

There is no management to advise.

4. "Decent job"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Tampa, FL

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy. Flexible schedule. Half decent pay

Cons

No upward advancement. Not great health insurance

Advice to Management

Management can't do much, everything is above them

"Good place to work"

I have been working at Esurance full-time

Pros

Smart colleagues, good location, good work-life balance

Cons

Insurance isn't an industry attracting a lot of talent

"Read the review"

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started my career at Esurance and have transitioned roles during my time. I have had the opportunity to define my interests and have the support of my managers and coworkers to explore them and enhance my skills. It's more investment than I could have expected. For many associates, they are building strong foundations for their careers here, and many times, growing their careers here.

My experience with work/life balance has been good here. I work my own schedule, I never take work home (physically or mentally), and I know this is pretty true across the board. I think more intense teams like IT probably have it a little more tough, but we're an online insurance company. They have a lot of responsibility in keeping us running.

We have company values that really resonate across the company. Sure they can come off cheesy, but I have coworkers who live and breath our values. And that's pretty awesome. It connects them to their work and drives them on. Plus, we have a culture the celebrates our diversity. We have employee resource groups that celebrate and encourage the development of traditionally underrepresented groups in the work place. I think that's pretty cool!

Cons

The leadership of the company needs to be open to hearing from the associates. Their concerns and insight. And I think that our company leadership want that, but somewhere along the chain of command, people are discouraged from speaking up. It's not about fear of retaliation. I think overtime associates have just heard "we can't do that", "that's just the way it is", or have been told that it's not a good idea to give feedback. To be fair, some people are just complaining, and their attitudes ruin it for everyone. But there are many who do have good ideas who should be heard and encouraged to speak.

In regards to benefits, if you're single, we have pretty good benefits. I think with the current state of health care in the country right now, no company has great health benefits right now, unless you're Google or Apple. I wish it was better, but hey, I'm insured and that's what matters.

Advice to Management

A little more communication and transparency. We want to know we're doing well, but if we're struggling or came up short on something, tell us. It's all our responsibility to make Esurance successful. I don't mean pass on the blame, I mean pass on the lessons, what we know we can do better, and then give us the opportunity to help.

And let's work on getting people to stop perpetuating a culture of "we can't do that" and "be careful what you say". (Unless they're just being complainers. We don't need that negativity either).

7. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Good management who actually care about you.
    2. Good team members who are always ready to help and very friendly.
    3. Company culture is excellent.
    4. IT department is leaping forward with greatest and latest technologies and creating lot of awesome applications.
    5. Scope to learn lot of new things.
    6. Good benefits.

Cons

None

"Not a happy camper"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No pros at this moment.

Cons

Very little room for growth. Moral is low. Used to be a great environment. So many have come and gone so fast. Too many changes.

Esurance Response

Aug 28, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you feel that environment has changed and it not as great as it used to be. I would really appreciate the opportunity... More

"If you work in the SF office be prepared to use your politician's skills"

I worked at Esurance full-time

Pros

somewhat of a new tech stack.
    great engineers

Cons

some teams work very long hours

"Run"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, pto, good benefits

Cons

Where do I start? Work life balance is non existent, too much work is given and the compensation doesn’t match. It’s all about who you know within the company. If you’re not linked in with a member of upper management, you can forget about a promotion.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to give timely feedback to employees, and also promote from within.

Esurance Response

Dec 28, 2017 – Claims Director

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to hire the most qualified candidate for all open positions with the majority of our jobs being filled by internal associates. We use our open door policy... More