Esurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No work-life balance, impossible to get time off without, in some cases, four to five months notice (in 26 reviews)

• No work life balance, heavy workloads, and no light at the end of the tunnel as of right now (in 8 reviews)

"IT is scary right now"

Former Employee - IT Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location in San Francisco. Some really dedicated people who try hard. I really hope they can get things going and impress the parent company.

Cons

Not enough talented people to get the job done. A lot of management are patriarchal. Goals are tied more to management success vs. company values. Software launched to make the date is often not ready and should be delayed. There was a recent layoff of 100 people including people there a long time.

Advice to Management

Be much more transparent.

"Company in deep trouble"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Rocklin, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Rocklin, CA

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It used to have pros

Cons

The company...for awhile...lived off the "as long as we growing we can keep ahead of our errors". That period ended about 4 years ago. Esurance had a massive wave of layoffs in 2017. And for good reason. The core issue with this company is that is tries to do too much too fast with any of the proper support. Its foundation it rotten, and it tries to build upon this and its gets worse with each additional attempt.

Advice to Management

Run.

3. "Poor Management"

I worked at Esurance full-time

Pros

Company is technology progressive. They have good customer service to customers.

Cons

When Sr. Mgmt wants to replace dept manager, they make your life miserable until you leave. How can you go from great reviews to the worst review in less than 6 months? HR is a joke. HR rep received instructions to make life difficult and provide no assistance. Any conversation and they walk out of room saying you're being belligerent! Never experience anything like this and I've been managing for over 25 years. Future and current managers beware. Your time is limited.

Advice to Management

Glad to have left on my terms.

"data scientist/sr analyst"

I have been working at Esurance full-time

Pros

A wide variety of data science problems to tackle
    No pressure
    Good, easy going coworkers
    Not all, but some super smart people in mid management.

Cons

No pressure which can lead to show pace
    Good coworkers, but technically may not be as sophisticated as some of the hot tech companies.
    Organization is very much old school. Lack communication among coworkers.
    Mediocre pay.

Advice to Management

Try harder to push more dynamic culture.

Encourage learning and collaboration among coworkers. Promote your start performers.

Speed up the pace to make life more exciting.

Pay the star performers at least market rate. The current compensation is embarrassing.

5. "Customer Advocate Supervisor"

I worked at Esurance full-time

Pros

Awesome training, great coworkers, fun

Cons

Too many changes for the worst

"Bad work environment and even worse work ethic"

Former Employee - IT Department
    Former Employee - IT Department

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pays well, lets you telecommute 1 day a week

Cons

Worst management I've ever experienced in my career. Biased towards Indians. You must be a "yes" man, accept being yelled at, intimidated, threatened and humiliated in meetings and agree to do act the same to others. I've never had my integrity and dignity compromised as much as I have had working at Esurance. No management support, unless you are one of the favored Indian employees, then you can do no wrong.....

Advice to Management

Recognize and acknowlege the value of your employees. ALL EMPLOYEES. Not just the selected few. Look at the bigger picture and strengths of your employees and recogize the good and build upon the strengths . You don't have to be rude and nasty and threaten people to get the job done. Happy employees = productive employees. Calm down, it's just insurance......

7. "Your mileage may vary."

Pros

Nice location in financial district.

Cons

Poor middle management for my department led to horrible hours due to poor time management. Always fires to put out.

"Zero trust. I'm new to this company but the lack of trust from senior management is oppressing!"

Current Employee - Manager in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time

Pros

I have a job seriously wonder if I have a career. We are closer to making a profit than we ever have been.

Cons

Why did you hire me and others if you are going to micromanage everything? I am underwhelmed by directors and VP's who won't stand up for their business units. Where is your courage and pride for your associates?Your technically inadequate. The company promotes themselves as an "online company " but anyone familiar with the systems is underwhelmed and embarrassed by their inferior performance. The systems are slow and antiquated. Stardust is extremely underwhelming and far from customer friendly.

Advice to Management

Trust is the foundation to any relationship both personal and professional and when it is broken it is extremely hard to repair. When employees feel they can’t trust leadership they feel unsafe, like no one has their back, and then spend more energy on self preservation and job hunting than performing at their job. When you hire someone but constantly question their decisions it creates an unhealthy culture. Senior leaders take a look at the voice surveys and ask yourself-how am I better today than this time last year? Trust in you continues to degrade. I've only been here for a few months and seriously wondering what I got myself into at this sometimes great company and the next very Mickey Mouse

Esurance Response

Jun 2, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback. The culture that you describe is not the one that we have worked so hard to build and support. I would like to talk to you and get a better perspective on your... More

"Great Transformation Underway"

I have been working at Esurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A clear focus, support from your Manager, committed colleagues and a fantastic location. Using technology and deliver an improving customer experience

Cons

Not one particular big one. City can be expensive

Advice to Management

Keep it this way in a sustained fashion

"Sales"

I have been working at Esurance full-time

Pros

Able to work from home

Cons

A Limited pay incentive structure

Advice to Management

N/A

Esurance Response

May 17, 2017 – Branch Sales Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We always strive to deliver the best experience and work/life balance for our associates and look for innovative ways to leverage our Work-at-Home program to be a win for... More