Esurance Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Esurance President Jonathan Adkisson
Jonathan Adkisson

Pros
  • They recognize a good work life balance (in 31 reviews)

• s also possible to work from home on occasion (in 29 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"CEO with a vision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time

Pros

The President/CEO has a solid vision for the company’s future. A great customer experience is the top priority and infuses everything we do. The CEO also truly cares about the associates (employees) and genuinely asks for feedback – which he responds to personally. I have never met a more people-focused leader. The people who work here are also some of the most fun and smart people around. It’s really a pleasure to come into work. That said, it’s also possible to work from home on occasion. Some of our staff are 100% work-from-home.

The San Francisco headquarters are in a beautiful and conveniently located part of town, and parts of the office have water views. Walks along the Embarcadero at lunchtime can’t be beat.

Cons

The company is working hard to improve areas of opportunity – mainly bringing the tech that associates use in line with the cutting-edge, award-winning technology we offer our customers. As a mid-size company, opportunities for career growth can be more challenging to come by, but again, something they are giving a lot of thought to improving.

Advice to Management

Keep up the communications to associates about the company priorities and goals, as well as reports on improvements being made. The transparency is definitely of value!

"Growing company"

Current Employee - NOCC Operator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - NOCC Operator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people. Environment. NOCC Manager.

Cons

work shifts rotation, work and life balance

"Software Developer At Esurance"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Project line, very good chance to improve your skills, flexibility of work

Cons

lot of Micro Management, Favoritism, lack of management skills

Advice to Management

Management should seriously Try to eliminate managers who do Favoritism, And Architects who does not know what they are doing. lot of layers which are created to avoid doing work and pressurize the lover level software Developer.

"Operations not Operating"

Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The lower level employees are absolutely fantastic. Great team set ups across the board.

Location is right by the waterfront. Great place to go for a walk, (if your manager lets you.)

Cons

Upper management is very out of touch. A lot of old world thinkers there, and frankly, it just doesn't keep up in the Silicon Valley.

There is hardly any oversight of bad management. There a few rotten eggs that keep driving whole teams away, but nobody is doing anything about it.

HR is very friendly, but not useful as far as affecting management change.

Advice to Management

Top-down management style needs to go. There needs to be more input from the teams themselves, and definitely stricter oversight of managers.

Jan 30, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

I could not agree more, our associates and teams are fantastic, across the board! Our leadership team regularly solicits and responds to feedback from associates. Creating a culture where all ... More

"Just OK"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working environment is not that stressful.

Cons

Managers are not knowledgeable and flexible. The compensation policy for actuary changes every year. The employee turn over rate are high.

"Great Company and Inspiring Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I've never been happier. I believe that I have found the company that complements my ideology for how a company should operate. The atmosphere is great, really smart people to work with, great environment to learn and pursue your dreams. Very smart and inspiring Leadership.

Cons

Not that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

8. "Happy to have worked at such a great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Esurance is one of the best companies I have worked at.  People are very collaborative and there is no sense of 'not my job'.  There is great internal support for projects, such as creative and production teams, and very strong analytical resources. In my experience, management allows people to work on the things they do best, rather than trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.  There were multiple opportunities for growth, learning, and taking on new responsibilities. My time at Esurance allowed me to expand my skill set well beyond where I started.  Management was encouraging and supportive of ideas at all levels. It is also a great place to interact with many other departments. I am thankful I had the opportunity to work with such genuine, kind, and respectful people.

Cons

Starting to become more bureaucratic / projects taking longer to execute
    Salary / benefits could be more competitive (no stock / ESPP)

Advice to Management

Continue to take a quantitative approach to decision making

Oct 21, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We are really proud of the culture we have built here. We have an open, supportive, and collaborative environment that allows our associates to thrive. We regularly ... More

9. "Happy at Esurance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Esurance (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong management, supportive owner (Allstate), non-political atmosphere, challenging work, friendly and cooperative coworkers

Cons

The only downsides are related to working in a competitive industry with GEICO and Progressive as your main business rivals.

"Bleeding employees in San Francisco"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work/life balance. Great for being left alone and coasting forever, if you're into that.

Cons

The company is a complete mess right now and it seems the many management ineptitudes over the past couple years are now bearing fruit. Repeated restructuring (there is a restructure every 6 months, some people are in their 4th or 5th team in two years), lower than market pay, and the hiring of some particularly inept people in senior management has caused massive employee turnover, specially in Marketing (one new VP has lost 5/6 of her managers), with the result that Marketing at least has almost completely emptied out, while turnover continues in other departments. So if you're seeing a ton of job openings right now, know why that is.

There is also no career pathing or internal growth, as many people are in the same roles for 3-4+ years and not being promoted, while the company continues to rely on them for critical support. However if you announce you are leaving, you will be immediately offered higher pay and a better role.

Merit raises were non-existent for 2016. The company has directives from Allstate to control expenses and is therefore having to underpay employees, which is partly causing a lot of the above.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the inept VPs who are losing employees - they are the problem. Either promote people who have been here for at least 1.5-2 years or tell them to leave.

Aug 23, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your candid feedback. Our associates’ wellbeing and success is a key priority to Esurance and we are committed to creating a rich and engaging experience for our associates by ... More

11. "Mobile software developer"

Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great team members. Good office location.

Cons

Salary is below average.