Esurance Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Esurance President Jonathan Adkisson
Jonathan Adkisson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Good management who actually care about you.
    2. Good team members who are always ready to help and very friendly.
    3. Company culture is excellent.
    4. IT department is leaping forward with greatest and latest technologies and creating lot of awesome applications.
    5. Scope to learn lot of new things.
    6. Good benefits.

Cons

None

"Stopped Listening to Reality"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Young, Dynamic Company willing to try new tactics and business models

Cons

New management after Allstate acquisition out of touch with peers, subordinates.
    Some new mgt members inexperienced in industry/managing actual people as staff.

Advice to Management

Technology is wonderful and a definite part of making our future more efficient.
    You must still treat your staff like the caring people that helped to create what your company is today. That has changed since 2014. Just listen to the people in the field. It's not rocket science.

Jul 18, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We pride ourselves on being an innovative company that leverages technology to provide a modern and engaging experience for our customers and associates. We... More

"Change can create great possibility..."

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, fun brand, flexibility and work-life balance. Lots of development opportunities--you can change career paths and stay with this company if you wish. At Esurance you will have the ability to influence decisions and make changes.

The company's purpose statement is that "We believe change creates great possibility". It truly is a time of change around here, but I feel that senior leadership is making tough decisions now to ensure the company's continued success. This was recently proven as we just won the J.D. Power award for Customer Service in California after big changes were implemented over the past year in that area.

Cons

Currently there is a focus on profitability so budgets are tight and stress is high. While I believe this time of change will eventually result in positive things, right now it is not the most comfortable environment.

Benefits plan is a thinned out version of Allstate's and are not the greatest, but you will have what you need.

Advice to Management

This is a time to communicate down in as many ways as possible. Change management takes time and trust. Middle management needs to feel empowered to speak to their teams and reinforce the current strategy and direction so the front line understands.

Jun 26, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback! I agree with you that the people, our brand, and the many development opportunities are a few of the things that make Esurance a great place to work. Our... More

"If you ain't growing, your dying and Esurance is dying"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great office, good people. Free coffee, Work from home is available in most departments. No more pros to add. Sorry

Cons

This company was built for growth. Allstate wants the company to be profitable now. Unfortunately this company has never be profitable in its 17 years. Allstate has trimmed the marketing budget, layed off hundreds of employees but still no where near profitable.

Advice to Management

To little to late.

Jun 27, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I agree that the people are amazing here! Our leadership team has a vision and a plan to build on the success that we have attained over the past 17 years... More

"Analyst @ Esurance"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work. Not many exciting perks, but a fair company that provides flexibility and a safe (diversity wise) working environment.

Cons

I didn't feel like there was much focus on career path for my role. I wanted to progress and just didn't any effort from management in mapping out a career growth plan.

Advice to Management

Overall I think you are doing good. I think there should be more focus on helping exempt employee have a defined career path in the company.

Jun 26, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Diversity and inclusion are at the cornerstone of who we are as a company. We have taken many steps to give associates the tools and resources to map out... More

"Good place to work"

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, in a casual atmosphere. Great place to work if young and looking to start a career in insurance. Great employee resource groups for women, LGBT, vets, etc. The company culture is inclusive and diverse.

Cons

The company has not been profitable since Allstate purchased it and is taking increasingly negative steps to reduce expenses. They pursued a strategy of unchecked growth after the acquisition and now it's time to pay the piper.

Advice to Management

It's off brand to have constant IT issues at a company born in San Francisco tech boom of the "dotcom" 1990s.

Jun 2, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad that you are having such a great experience here. We have grown and expanded our product offerings, as we have done this we regularly check to ensue that we... More

"IT is scary right now"

Former Employee - IT Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location in San Francisco. Some really dedicated people who try hard. I really hope they can get things going and impress the parent company.

Cons

Not enough talented people to get the job done. A lot of management are patriarchal. Goals are tied more to management success vs. company values. Software launched to make the date is often not ready and should be delayed. There was a recent layoff of 100 people including people there a long time.

Advice to Management

Be much more transparent.

"Information Technology"

Current Employee - Information Technology in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are Indian this is a gate place to work. The cultural silo that has been created favors Indians. From the VP down to lower management.

Cons

Too much responsibility and not enough resources.
    Blatant favoritism towards Indians from Indian management.

Advice to Management

Appreciate all employees not just your favorites.
    Stop forcing work visa employees to put in 50 - 60 hours a week. Management knows they can take advantage of this and does.

Apr 27, 2017 – MD, Head of Product Engineering and CIO

Thank you for your feedback. Creating an inclusive environment that promotes dignity and respect for all associates is core to how Esurance operates. I have followed up with our leaders to address... More

"Growing company"

Current Employee - NOCC Operator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - NOCC Operator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people. Environment. NOCC Manager.

Cons

work shifts rotation, work and life balance

"Software Developer At Esurance"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Project line, very good chance to improve your skills, flexibility of work

Cons

lot of Micro Management, Favoritism, lack of management skills

Advice to Management

Management should seriously Try to eliminate managers who do Favoritism, And Architects who does not know what they are doing. lot of layers which are created to avoid doing work and pressurize the lover level software Developer.