Ethos Lending Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 11, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Adam Carmel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "That statement is no different at Ethos Lending" (in 10 reviews)

• "Work environment is next to none" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "No 401k match and the health benefits are brokered by the CEO's mom (that should say something)" (in 6 reviews)

• "This company has the highest turnover rate ever" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a great future through executing on a clear plan that has been very well staked within the various aspects of the company. Transparency is very evident during company calls regarding challenges and successes and everyone continuously drives towards becoming better day over day. Banding together as a young company with a vision of long term growth and how each area can contribute towards achieving that goal of growth comes with great accomplishment when the team gets there. One of the biggest pros that the company has is the ability to not lose focus despite any obstacles. The level of drive from the top down is an engine.

Cons

When a company is small and relatively new there are obvious limitations but with hard work and patience, the company will achieve its goals and those that rolled up their sleeves and bought into the vision will see success. Patience and continued focus is a challenge for some, especially newer folks (based on reading some of the reviews) that don't totally buy into the team and understand where we are and where we are going.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in the people and empowering the team to achieve the goals that company has.

Aug 22, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for your very thoughtful posting, truly appreciate it! Couldn't agree more that with patience and focus, great things will come. - AC

"Okay for first job"

Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Irvine, CA

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance most of the time

Cons

Poor management, room for growth was not there.

Advice to Management

Give employees a timeline of when they can see next step in career

"Start up with false hopes"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Irving, TX

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee , food, ect. Coworkers are cool and easy going but also competitive!

Cons

False claims of money you won't make! Systems that aren't existing. A process that isn't truly streamlined as it is made out to be. This company can and may someday be great but it is very much stuck in start up phase! They will throw all AE's under the bus to make room to keep making money but so does every company, I guess. What upset's me is the measures they go to TRY and keep you in the dark by all the BS meetings and cool new items they are talking about adding to the mix but never do. But as soon as you learn their all talk but no real walk. They will let you go because you have uncovered their flaws.

Advice to Management

STOP wasting time as a start up!

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Account Executive/Broker Liaison
    Former Employee - Account Executive/Broker Liaison

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Before they lowered the starting salary, that salary was good

They are good with getting payroll out

Cons

This company lacks structure and doesn't see it. They think by micro managing they are making things better. There is no focus on the employees what so ever. I have never seen so much turnover is such a short time. No problems ever actually get addressed. They always answer questions politically aka talk around the question and try to make a point about something else.

There is no upward movement in the company either. They just give you a new title but your job doesn't change

Benefits are TERRIBLE. Very expensive and no 401k match.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your employees, don't have an answer prepared before they even finish what they are trying to say. A toxic culture isn't going to make you guys better.
    Focus on fixing the issues that you currently have before moving on to your next phase.

Aug 22, 2018 – CEO

Hi, thanks for your note. I think there are tons of fellow Ethos employees that feel differently than you, and I'm sorry you departed on less than ideal terms. It sounds like it is best for you... More

"To be honest"

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time (More than a year)

Pros

To this day, I still believe there are a few positive things about Ethos Lending. For instance, many employees who work here are great people with amazing potential. There is also a decent PTO structure for employees and potential for growth, bonuses and raises. Lastly, employees are awarded with an unlimited number of snacks and drinks for the offices.

Cons

Throughout the last year, there was a huge disconnect between corporate to the employees. On many decisions and issues, little to no transparency was offered including why an office abruptly closed after only opening a few months earlier and how other offices decreased in half their size in less than a six-month time. The unease and uncertainty felt prevalent in different departments and offices on what was going to happen next to the company.
    With the lack of transparency on the employee, the company also failed to show little to any appreciation to offices in my opinion. For instance, there seemed to be hardly any office-wide or company events and the culture of Ethos Lending felt non-existent. The culture here seemed monotonous and dull and there was no substance and connection between employees, offices and management.
    It is understandable for Ethos to be experiencing growth pains and always searching for the next step, but a company cannot survive without their employees. I think some need to wake up and realize this. The disconnect needs addressed or nothing is going to change here.

Advice to Management

A third-party management firm needs to be hired and employees need to have a voice. I believe it starts with the employees and their happiness needs measured and their ideas need to be taken into consideration. I think the firm needs to study the offices and more and determine why this disconnect is so prevalent and is not going away.

Aug 22, 2018 – CEO

Hi, thanks for your note. I'm really sorry to hear you feel this way, despite our best efforts to be as transparent as possible and to create a great culture for everyone. It seems others feel... More

"Unfortunate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ethos with the right execution and leadership has a lot of potential of gaining a good chunk of the market share.

Cons

Ethos lacks the right execution and leadership and under the current trajectory has no potential of gaining a good chunk of the market share. This is a small company and unlikely to change.

Micromanagement is abundant.
    Disgruntled and unprofessional employees.
    Work/life balance is non-existent.
    Benefits are the worst I've seen but work hard and you might graciously be given them one day!

Instead of addressing these issues, they simply post fake positive reviews stating that the ones that left simply lack patience, focus, and don't buy into the team of disgruntled and overworked employees. Good one!

Advice to Management

Your positive anonymous reviews are obvious.

Aug 22, 2018 – CEO

hi, thanks for your note. We will see in a few years how much market share we are able to take and that will start with our world class team. I'm sorry you didn't have a positive experience and it... More

7. "A Company on the Uprise"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time

Pros

Ethos continues to push the boundaries across all facets of it's business. Management has been putting forth noticeable effort to elevate culture, transparency, and the overall happiness of its employees. Pay is commensurate to the work you put in. As a member of Ethos for over a year, I can attest that if you are willing to roll up your sleeves at the door you will be greeted with exceptional potential to earn. "All-hands" company meetings are awesome, keeps us all on the same page and let's us know the direction of the company.

Cons

no 401k match at Ethos

Advice to Management

Continue on the current path of investing in your human capital and you will be rewarded. Recent hires throughout several departments have made a HUGE difference. Working for the right people changes the game! Continue "open door" policy across all branches, employees will usually have the next best idea.

Aug 22, 2018 – CEO

Thanks so much! We are really pumped about what we are building and totally agree that all of our recent new hires, all over the business, are world class and making a big impact! - AC

8. "Open Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open communication where people want to do a good job and everyone pulls together to overcome obstacles.

Cons

There is unnecessary chaos at times. This is caused by a lack of documentation and a clear process for getting things done.

Advice to Management

Get some service or hire some people to make a manual for how everything is supposed to work.

Aug 22, 2018 – CEO

Hi, really appreciate you noticing how hard we work to have an open and transparent company. We work as a team and great things have resulted from that. You have some good feedback here on building... More

"A short lived He**"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The starting salary keeps you motivated

Cons

Built on lies and you are expected to follow a broken system.

Advice to Management

Gotta find a different method/way to motivate. Too much micro management and added pressure put on sales team for no reason.

Aug 22, 2018 – CEO

Hi, no doubt, sales is tough. It's all about results and putting in the effort. We do everything we can to help people succeed and will continue to refine and improve what the company does to help... More

"Operations lacks strength"

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Development of peer coworker relationships

Cons

- Lack of strong management/leadership
    - Health benefits are non-competitive
    - PTO is limited to only mandatory holidays
    - No work life balance as demands are unrealistic
    - Compensation

Advice to Management

Hire leadership that knows how to effectively manage departments and grow the business. Revisit expectations and layout realistic ones.

Jul 4, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for your message. Honestly, I'm a bit confused because some of what you're saying here doesn't feel totally accurate relative to what the company has been put in place, ie: we have a very... More