Ethos Lending Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Adam Carmel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "That statement is no different at Ethos Lending" (in 9 reviews)

• "Work environment is next to none" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "To be transparent, it's a rapidly growing company, which results in changes, and growing pains" (in 4 reviews)

• "Fast-paced work environment, which can sometimes feel overwhelming" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a great future through executing on a clear plan that has been very well staked within the various aspects of the company. Transparency is very evident during company calls regarding challenges and successes and everyone continuously drives towards becoming better day over day. Banding together as a young company with a vision of long term growth and how each area can contribute towards achieving that goal of growth comes with great accomplishment when the team gets there. One of the biggest pros that the company has is the ability to not lose focus despite any obstacles. The level of drive from the top down is an engine.

Cons

When a company is small and relatively new there are obvious limitations but with hard work and patience, the company will achieve its goals and those that rolled up their sleeves and bought into the vision will see success. Patience and continued focus is a challenge for some, especially newer folks (based on reading some of the reviews) that don't totally buy into the team and understand where we are and where we are going.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in the people and empowering the team to achieve the goals that company has.

2. "Bright Future and Great Things Ahead"

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Co-worker relationships (everyone works great together)
    * Management (they've really hit a nice cadence)
    * Benefits (offerings have expanded or enhanced every year)
    * Environment/Culture (team outings, happy hours, snacks...who doesn't like fun?)

Ethos has made a lot of strides in the 3 years I've been with the company. We continue to grow, and our benefits and compensation continue to get better. Management is very invested in the employees and the continued growth of the company. Everyone is very focused on the company's success and building an amazing company through teamwork and it shows!

Cons

Occasional technology issues (but those are expected and the team is quick to resolve issues)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. It's very exciting to be part of such a dynamic and growing team. Employee happiness is key to building a great, and lasting, company. Don't lose sight of what (and who) makes Ethos a great place to work.

3. "A Company on the Uprise"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time

Pros

Ethos continues to push the boundaries across all facets of it's business. Management has been putting forth noticeable effort to elevate culture, transparency, and the overall happiness of its employees. Pay is commensurate to the work you put in. As a member of Ethos for over a year, I can attest that if you are willing to roll up your sleeves at the door you will be greeted with exceptional potential to earn. "All-hands" company meetings are awesome, keeps us all on the same page and let's us know the direction of the company.

Cons

no 401k match at Ethos

Advice to Management

Continue on the current path of investing in your human capital and you will be rewarded. Recent hires throughout several departments have made a HUGE difference. Working for the right people changes the game! Continue "open door" policy across all branches, employees will usually have the next best idea.

4. "Open Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open communication where people want to do a good job and everyone pulls together to overcome obstacles.

Cons

There is unnecessary chaos at times. This is caused by a lack of documentation and a clear process for getting things done.

Advice to Management

Get some service or hire some people to make a manual for how everything is supposed to work.

5. "A short lived He**"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The starting salary keeps you motivated

Cons

Built on lies and you are expected to follow a broken system.

Advice to Management

Gotta find a different method/way to motivate. Too much micro management and added pressure put on sales team for no reason.

"Operations lacks strength"

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Development of peer coworker relationships

Cons

- Lack of strong management/leadership
    - Health benefits are non-competitive
    - PTO is limited to only mandatory holidays
    - No work life balance as demands are unrealistic
    - Compensation

Advice to Management

Hire leadership that knows how to effectively manage departments and grow the business. Revisit expectations and layout realistic ones.

Jul 4, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for your message. Honestly, I'm a bit confused because some of what you're saying here doesn't feel totally accurate relative to what the company has been put in place, ie: we have a very... More

"Loan Officer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time

Pros

Cons all cons, absolutely no pros whatsoever.

Cons

Please if you're thinking of applying or have been reached out by a recruiter DO NOT APPLY. You will waste your time, they will make it sound like you will make at minimum 70k a year, you will not make any money there is no potential. They provide zero leads, management all the way to the CEO is not at all concerned with building a successful culture. The CEO thinks everything is fine or tries to avoid tough questions about the companies success/ plan for the future. As someone who has previously worked at startups before the one thing companies always focus on is their employees as well as their clients this company does neither. HR is also terrible with many mistakes on their end they will mess up your check, and never take ownership of their actions. There is also zero structure/ guidance what so ever. I truly would hate for somebody to apply and get hired for this job and waste their time. Passing this on because I had the hard way please do not make the same mistake I did. Attrition in the double digits is a huge red flag!

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees, clients being successful is fixing things that aren't functional. If it's not working fix it and think ahead of how to avoid problems instead of constantly trying to put out fires.

Jul 4, 2018 – CEO

Hi, I really appreciate your posting. Some of what you are saying here, I 100% agree with, which is why I have made significant changes to the management of the retail sales division. I would say... More

8. "The Idea has Potential - But not there yet i.m.o."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good starting pay, at least when I was there. Decent comp plan if there were loans coming in the door.

Cons

Lack of structure on operational side of the company, leads to issues on the front end for sales. Mixed signals from managers vs corporate leadership.
    Benefits blow, 401K only after 1 year but with no company match. Health insurance is expensive if for anyone other than yourself. These are things they say is because their a startup; I've worked at startups before that offered far more comprehensive benefits on day one of employment.
    Bad company image in the industry from past company mistakes makes it tough to sell the company to brokers.

Advice to Management

Don't blame issues on being a start up or the industry, just fix them. If you're going to spend over a million dollars a year on your 'software' you could dedicate a couple of minor salaried employees to the operations that would make your sales team successful and therefore lead to better success for the company.

Jul 5, 2018 – CEO

Hi, thanks for your note. I don't think anyone is blaming past mistakes or that anyone would ever claim we are free of mistakes. Not sure if any company of any size anywhere in the world could say... More

"Stay Clear"

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time

Pros

The only pro is a decent rate

Cons

Awful culture, lack of professionalism at all levels, inexperienced management, they burn though good people including brokers, employees are overworked and under paid, seriously lacks internal and external communications.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO. It all starts at the top with Adam Camel. Do an survey with your current employee's, the results will speak volumes to the board of directors.

Jul 4, 2018 – CEO

Hi, I appreciate your remarks. Unfortunately, it sounds like you didn't have a good experience at Ethos, but do wish you the best. I am most focused and concerned with Ethos doing the right things... More

10. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great work atmosphere.
    -Competitive compensation plan.
    -Industry leading product.
    -Management takes initiative to ensure success

Cons

-Some of the other teams need to pull there weight more.

Jul 5, 2018 – CEO

Hi, thanks for the very nice posting. We will continue to do all we can to support and help you and the rest of the sales team grow their business. -AC