Ethos Lending Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 20, 2018

2.8
Adam Carmel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "That statement is no different at Ethos Lending" (in 9 reviews)

• "Work environment is next to none" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "No 401k match and the health benefits are brokered by the CEO's mom (that should say something)" (in 6 reviews)

• "There’s no really room for growth" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a great future through executing on a clear plan that has been very well staked within the various aspects of the company. Transparency is very evident during company calls regarding challenges and successes and everyone continuously drives towards becoming better day over day. Banding together as a young company with a vision of long term growth and how each area can contribute towards achieving that goal of growth comes with great accomplishment when the team gets there. One of the biggest pros that the company has is the ability to not lose focus despite any obstacles. The level of drive from the top down is an engine.

Cons

When a company is small and relatively new there are obvious limitations but with hard work and patience, the company will achieve its goals and those that rolled up their sleeves and bought into the vision will see success. Patience and continued focus is a challenge for some, especially newer folks (based on reading some of the reviews) that don't totally buy into the team and understand where we are and where we are going.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in the people and empowering the team to achieve the goals that company has.

Aug 22, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for your very thoughtful posting, truly appreciate it! Couldn't agree more that with patience and focus, great things will come. - AC

"Run... run far"

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The saying “misery loves company” definitely can be related to working here. One of the only positive things is many of the employees stick together in their misery and try to “stick it out” for as long as possible.

Cons

There are many cons to working here.

- The culture and overall happiness of the employee seemed non-existent here
    - Micromanaging and the “blame game” ran rampant in the departments. Mistakes were highlighted in gold while accomplishments had little to no honor
    - Broken promises and falsehoods seemed to have spread amongst the offices to the employees to disguise many truths
    - There’s no really room for growth. Operations employees made to be treated like the “middle child” compared to the sales teams
    - It seemed as though everyone was in it for themselves and you had to be aware of this game and learn to “fake it until you make it”
    - No structure and sweeping changes to help keep the company a float
    - Many of the offices are half the size compared to a year ago and two offices have been completely shut down
    - Countless of talented, loyal managers and employees have left the company in the calendar year of 2018

Advice to Management

Invest invest invest in your employees. How many loyal employees have to leave before you will realize this?

"They try...but they are a fly by night company."

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time

Pros

Honestly, I can't think of any pros...it's a new company with new leadership. It has a long way to go...

Cons

There is no stability with this company and training is horrible. No room for growth and the modern day boy's club. Light up a cigar and prepare yourself for the ride. Most people working here quit, while the rest are laid off.

Advice to Management

Get better.

"Okay for first job"

Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Irvine, CA

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance most of the time

Cons

Poor management, room for growth was not there.

Advice to Management

Give employees a timeline of when they can see next step in career

"An absolute joke of a company."

Former Employee - Accounts Executive in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Accounts Executive in Irving, TX

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Industry knowledge. It is a good field to get into when the market is hot.

Cons

The management and team leads are clueless. The underwriting team they have refuses to help and are inexperienced. The CEO changes goals every week. They lie about the pay structure. You are provided 90% dead accounts and are expected to call them twice daily even after they asked to be put on the do not call list. The list goes on and on like the title, this is an absolute joke of a company. Don't do business with them and don't even consider working for them.

Advice to Management

scrap it and move on

"Start up with false hopes"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Irving, TX

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee , food, ect. Coworkers are cool and easy going but also competitive!

Cons

False claims of money you won't make! Systems that aren't existing. A process that isn't truly streamlined as it is made out to be. This company can and may someday be great but it is very much stuck in start up phase! They will throw all AE's under the bus to make room to keep making money but so does every company, I guess. What upset's me is the measures they go to TRY and keep you in the dark by all the BS meetings and cool new items they are talking about adding to the mix but never do. But as soon as you learn their all talk but no real walk. They will let you go because you have uncovered their flaws.

Advice to Management

STOP wasting time as a start up!

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Account Executive/Broker Liaison
    Former Employee - Account Executive/Broker Liaison

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Before they lowered the starting salary, that salary was good

They are good with getting payroll out

Cons

This company lacks structure and doesn't see it. They think by micro managing they are making things better. There is no focus on the employees what so ever. I have never seen so much turnover is such a short time. No problems ever actually get addressed. They always answer questions politically aka talk around the question and try to make a point about something else.

There is no upward movement in the company either. They just give you a new title but your job doesn't change

Benefits are TERRIBLE. Very expensive and no 401k match.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your employees, don't have an answer prepared before they even finish what they are trying to say. A toxic culture isn't going to make you guys better.
    Focus on fixing the issues that you currently have before moving on to your next phase.

Aug 22, 2018 – CEO

Hi, thanks for your note. I think there are tons of fellow Ethos employees that feel differently than you, and I'm sorry you departed on less than ideal terms. It sounds like it is best for you... More

"Unfortunate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ethos with the right execution and leadership has a lot of potential of gaining a good chunk of the market share.

Cons

Ethos lacks the right execution and leadership and under the current trajectory has no potential of gaining a good chunk of the market share. This is a small company and unlikely to change.

Micromanagement is abundant.
    Disgruntled and unprofessional employees.
    Work/life balance is non-existent.
    Benefits are the worst I've seen but work hard and you might graciously be given them one day!

Instead of addressing these issues, they simply post fake positive reviews stating that the ones that left simply lack patience, focus, and don't buy into the team of disgruntled and overworked employees. Good one!

Advice to Management

Your positive anonymous reviews are obvious.

Aug 22, 2018 – CEO

hi, thanks for your note. We will see in a few years how much market share we are able to take and that will start with our world class team. I'm sorry you didn't have a positive experience and it... More

9. "A Company on the Uprise"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time

Pros

Ethos continues to push the boundaries across all facets of it's business. Management has been putting forth noticeable effort to elevate culture, transparency, and the overall happiness of its employees. Pay is commensurate to the work you put in. As a member of Ethos for over a year, I can attest that if you are willing to roll up your sleeves at the door you will be greeted with exceptional potential to earn. "All-hands" company meetings are awesome, keeps us all on the same page and let's us know the direction of the company.

Cons

no 401k match at Ethos

Advice to Management

Continue on the current path of investing in your human capital and you will be rewarded. Recent hires throughout several departments have made a HUGE difference. Working for the right people changes the game! Continue "open door" policy across all branches, employees will usually have the next best idea.

Aug 22, 2018 – CEO

Thanks so much! We are really pumped about what we are building and totally agree that all of our recent new hires, all over the business, are world class and making a big impact! - AC

10. "Open Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open communication where people want to do a good job and everyone pulls together to overcome obstacles.

Cons

There is unnecessary chaos at times. This is caused by a lack of documentation and a clear process for getting things done.

Advice to Management

Get some service or hire some people to make a manual for how everything is supposed to work.

Aug 22, 2018 – CEO

Hi, really appreciate you noticing how hard we work to have an open and transparent company. We work as a team and great things have resulted from that. You have some good feedback here on building... More