Ethos Lending Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Adam Carmel & Mark Lefanowicz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • That statement is no different at Ethos Lending (in 9 reviews)

• Work environment is next to none (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • To be transparent, it's a rapidly growing company, which results in changes, and growing pains (in 4 reviews)

• There is obvious stress in the mortgage industry just based off of the cultures of the past (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Grow and Work!"

Current Employee - Broker Liaison/Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Broker Liaison/Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ethos Lending has a great environment to work in! Open office concept with tons of collaboration between team members. I can't emphasize the word team enough! Not only do colleagues regularly help each other out with strategy and general information, but receiving management support is never an issue! I have been given all the tools I need to succeed and when the success rolls in, management are the first to give you the recognition you deserve and congratulations for your success! Also, employee input is truly taken into account! Ethos understands a company would be nothing without it's employees and takes their opinion seriously. The pay is also very competitive. Since I have worked at Ethos I have come a long way. I owe it to hard work and a great team! I feel rewarded!

Cons

Honestly, I don't have much to say in regards to cons. The AC could be turned down a bit. It's a little cold. The coffee kinda sucks, but it has caffeine in it so that's good. The training structure when I started was a little rocky, but I they have fixed that since then. Sometimes the work can carry into your personal hours, but the rewards are worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

2. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great work atmosphere.
    -Competitive compensation plan.
    -Industry leading product.
    -Management takes initiative to ensure success

Cons

-Some of the other teams need to pull there weight more.

3. "THE company disrupting mortgage"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time

Pros

Ethos has a bold vision to apply cutting edge technology in an archaic industry. Unlike other digital mortgage companies, Ethos is tackling the most costly and time consuming steps of the mortgage process (the complex back-end stuff like underwriting) and is arguably best positioned to drive processing costs down to levels not before seen in the industry. The company has a unique blend of deep domain expertise combined with cutting edge silicon valley technology. For those looking to disrupt a massive industry, this is the horse to bet on. People are rewarded for thinking outside the box and challenging status quo. Fast moving culture with a ton of smart people, and HQ in the heart of downtown San Francisco.

Cons

The company's vision and strategic direction is clear - continuing to execute against that strategy is the tough part. Ethos goes through the growing pains typical of a business transitioning from true start-up phase into a scaled operation. Achieving operational excellence while also maintaining the scrappy culture that got the company to where it is today is a delicate line to walk.

Advice to Management

Keep the momentum going. Even in a rising rate environment we're taking market share and this is motivating for employee morale. Can't wait to see what's in store for the future!

4. "True and accurate- Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time

Pros

In any sales job, the way to become successful is hard work. That statement is no different at Ethos Lending... It's true, you get out what you put in, hard work pays off, and those that do not put in the hard work, will not succeed. The inside sales role is very unique, and you learn about different parts of the sales cycle. If you put in the work, you will see the results, as long as you are someone that is persistent and does not give up. Management is always putting their heads together on better ways to make the sales team's lives a little easier. Whether that being investing money into the team via buying a new CRM software, lead sourcing, team outings, etc... The management team truly does care and does their best to ensure a fun, work-life balanced , learning work environment. You do not only learn about the mortgage industry, but you are in a front row seat of seeing how a company grows their business from a start-up to scale which, is really unique and cool. This job and company is not for everyone, nor is every other company out there.. Not everywhere is a good fit for everyone, that is just the nature of life. If you are someone who is an ambitious and hard working person that wants to reep the benefits of hard work, then you will love this company. If you are someone who just wants to work a 9-5 and not put in the work, does not want to be a critical part of the companies growth and success than this company is probably not the best fit for you, nor is any tech company in San Francisco. The CEO and other members of management have always made it an open door policy, especially when it comes to feedback on processes, technology , etc... I would say the majority of the changes in the last two years have been direct feedback from team members and that of team collaboration.

Cons

The sales team could definitely use some more tools for outbound prospecting. More healthy snacks.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people and those who truly care about the companies success. Continue to invest in tools and ways to make your teams days more efficient.

5. "Operations"

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management values employees!
    Young and willing to work hard environment
    Great place to gain experience and knowledge
    Casual dress
    Easy to excel in your work
    You grow with the company

Cons

Working with internal sales reps can sometimes be difficult
    Working in fast paced environment can be stressful at times

Advice to Management

Always continue to value and reward your employees

6. "Employee in Operations (Full Time 1 year)"

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ethos provides an opportunity to give yourself the ability to succeed if you put in the hard work and time. You can learn a lot from our managers if you put the time in to learn and excel in your position. I have had 3 different roles within the last year and I believe I have grown with each experience and can continue to get better each day and I believe that it is a great opportunity to have transparency from top to bottom and upper manager is able to see and know quickly that you are doing a good job in whatever role you are in.

Cons

I do believe we can improve as a whole company with communication between sales and operations. I do believe we need to work together and try to figure out the best plan moving forward so that everyone is happy and doing their jobs more efficiently.

Advice to Management

I do believe it wouldn't hurt to hire more help in the operations department especially before the busy season starts to arrive.

"Operations"

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time

Pros

Few if there are any.

Cons

Garbage. Complete garbage. This is (or at least was) a company of approximately 200 employees and considers itself big (how on earth is this big? A big company is one of at least 10,000+ employees). And, they don’t even have a marketing team! What kind of a company doesn’t even have a marketing team???

Not to mention the lack of professionalism. How does a company expect to survive when people drink on the job??? Absolutely ridiculous!

"Sales"

I worked at Ethos Lending full-time

Pros

A job's a job and you can get that out of college here.

Cons

Some of the worst employee retention in the industry. The company lost a majority of their employees in the past year. This speaks the most volume about Ethos. There are absolutely no career growth opportunities. You will be stuck at whatever job they throw you in for as long as they can work you dry.

The CEO views operations as pawns that are easily disposable. They had offices in Columbus and Chicago that both shut down because people left. Pittsburgh office is half the size it started at and is decreasing rapidly.

Employees get lied to about pretty much everything and there is little to none transparency.

A lot more to say but at this point if you're looking at the glassdoor page you should get the picture.

Advice to Management

Is the pay really worth it? Your employees hate their jobs and are all looking for a way out. Your CEO has created a very toxic culture. Wake up and stop being pushovers!

"Anonymous Employee"

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time

Pros

The company is great for many reasons. It truly is a meritocracy, and you get what you put into it. The direction of the company is very transparent and everyone is a part of the success, no matter the role. Seeing hard work pay off is all you can really want in a career that challenges you. The executive team really focuses on improving team culture and working together to resolve and improve. No matter who you are, if you have the mindset of rolling up your sleeves and contributing in a positive way you will be rewarded.

Cons

It is all about fit. If you would prefer to be at a company that is going to be 100% stagnant and not willing or hungry for change, then Ethos is not right for you. However, if you have an attitude and mindset conducive to a company that is growing and has unlimited potential then Ethos is the best place to be, especially in an ever-changing industry. Additionally, things don’t happen over night in any company, but comparing Ethos to other companies and things move very fast in the direction of the input from its staff.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you’re doing and identifying and growing leaders.

10. "Account Executive/ Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ethos Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, everyone's friendly and gets along well. You can see the success of people who have been there 1 year+ and it's a great motivator.

Cons

Tough to build clientele at first.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with plans for the future and current state of company.