Etna Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Ryan Miller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great and getting better"

I have been working at Etna Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super smart people that care about what they do, a straight forward directive to provide leads to clients, and ever changing landscape of tools and competitors just what every growing company needs. Etna provides a great environment to learn and succeed with competitive compensation.

Cons

Further refinement of key tactics is required to break away from the traditional agency hourly grind.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities to learn and to change the state of the art.

Sep 1, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the input.

We have a big initiative underway to refine our tactics and free up more time for creative expression within our work. Swing by my office and I’ll share more about that... More

2. "OK"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Etna Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a job, what more can you say?

Cons

Not as bad as many.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on.

"Not a happy place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Etna Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great clients. Reasonable project timelines.

Cons

Inconsistency between declared company 'values' and actual employee treatment.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees. Include employees in company planning, at least keep them informed.

"Job Seekers Beware!"

I have been working at Etna Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, free snacks, open parking lot and there’s a happy hour every Friday. Not much else to say. It’s a job.

Cons

•Management is inept
    •People in all departments are unhappy
    •Unless you’re a brown-noser, your work will not be recognized, your feedback will not be taken seriously and you will be passed up for promotions
    •Employees talk behind each other’s backs constantly
    •Turnover is exceptionally high
    •Employees with ambitious solutions to problems are seen as threats to those in management who wish they came up with the idea themselves or refuse to hear others ideas.
    •No negotiations with your compensation offer- take it or leave it
    •PTO policy could be improved

Advice to Management

Fire and replace manager(s) of department(s) with the highest turnover. Mismanagement is the reason why people continue to quit. HR needs to apply feedback from employees. Not sure what they actually do here at this company.

Nov 6, 2017 – CEO

In 2017 we decided to undertake one of the toughest things any organization can tackle…a radical re-organization. We did it to create more rewarding opportunities for our teams, to break down silos... More

"Soul-Crushing Minutia Extolled As Learning New Things"

I have been working at Etna Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly happy hour is nice. The "front line" people are generally pretty good at what they do.

Cons

There is no forest at Etna. There are only trees. So many trees. There is a process for everything, everything is analyzed and catalogued to death, and "custom" work is a thing to be feared (because it can't be analyzed or processed or catalogued properly).

Leadership dwells on details all day long as the ship continues to sink, and there's no life boat in sight. Turnover — which is exceptionally high — is dismissed as "Oh, so-and-so wanted to move to [the Bay area, Chicago, etc.]", and leadership is simply oblivious to the fact that, even if there are motivations other than work too, employee after employee still chooses to speed up their timelines, uproot, and start anew — because it's better than staying here.

The re-organization of the company, while it began with somewhat noble goals like helping us all become more well-rounded marketers, has become more of a self-inflicted death knell. People are doing things they don't enjoy because they were told that they now had to start doing them. So they leave. It's as simple as that.

The heartbreaking part about writing all of this is that the leadership really does care a lot. They try so hard.

But they just cannot see the forest through the trees. Meanwhile, the culture is being destroyed.

Advice to Management

If you're going to ask the team for their opinion about the status of things, you need to actually follow through with clear examples of the ways you're taking their feedback and acting on it. Anything less just looks like lip service.

Aug 30, 2017 – CEO

Ouch. That hurt.

But I want to sincerely thank you for the feedback. It stung, and I wish you had felt comfortable coming to me in person. If you had, I would have validated many of your concerns... More

"A great company!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Etna Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Etna is genuine in striving for quality results for its clients and as a result, team members are encouraged to grow, learn and challenge themselves in a positive way. A supportive, collaborative team atmosphere is paired with the freedom of autonomy so that you can tackle the tasks you need to to make your day successful. Smart and fun people and good visibility to the results you're achieving as a company so everyone knows their work is part of a bigger strategy and goal. Speak up if you're looking for more learning opportunities, management is supportive and wants to see you thrive.

Cons

Not enough hours in the day to see everyone! But there's always Happy Hour on Fridays.

Advice to Management

More exposure to cross department trainings or tasks would be beneficial as the more everyone understands eachother's work load and responsibilities, the more connected and empowered one feels to the larger picture.

"Simply the BEST!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in San Luis Obispo, CA

Pros

I truly enjoy working at Etna! They have a culture that highly values their people and celebrates the uniqueness in all of us. They strive for work/life balance and create a fun work environment while never compromising high standards. I'm proud to be an Etnan!

Cons

No cons to date!

"Great Work/Life Balance & Co-workers"

I have been working at Etna Interactive (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Co-workers are great! Everyone is helpful, smart, and fun.
    - Management truly cares about your well-being. There are regular check-ins with your manager to talk about your work and anything else that may be on your mind. They encourage any feedback and will work hard to solve any problems.
    - Fun company culture. There is happy hour every Friday, and the company is always open to fun events and fundraising opportunities.

Cons

- The work can get redundant. You don't always get to collaborate with other coworkers outside of your department, simply because budgets and timelines can call for a heads-down working environment. I believe the company is getting better about cross-departmental communication though.
    - You need to be very focused on meeting your billable hour goals as they are a measurement of your employee performance. This can lead to a worrisome working environment at times.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees! :)

"A Company that Cares"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

Pros

Etna Interactive values communication and feedback. There are regular meetings -- at the individual level, team level, and company level -- and the goal every time is to do things better (or ensure they are already being done the best way possible).

Cons

Sometimes the company pivots a little too quickly in response to there being a better way to do things.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on.

"One of the best places I"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

Pros

Management works hard to support the personal and professional growth of the staff.
    Any issues are resolved as quickly and efficiently as possible.
    CEO & Directors lead by example and live what they preach.
    Management is always open to and encouraging new ideas and approaches.

Cons

I can't think of any Cons that actually matter on a large scale. And every issue I had while working there was resolved. Some resolutions took more time than others, but I never felt ignored, unheard or unwanted. I always felt supported by management even from the other departments.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Listen to your people, they're good at what they do and they love doing it.