Etna Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Thank You Etna"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Osos, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Osos, CA

I worked at Etna Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an employee that has recently moved on to another company, I can say that Etna cares about its employees. I learned a lot at my 3+ years there, and would recommend the company for its integrity and thoughtfulness. My immediate manager and the CEO always stand behind their employees, which is something that is very important to me.
    The technology team are creative, hard working, and extremely clever. The marketing department has great budding minds, and creative are always spot on.

Culture is fun, with a happy hour every Friday!

Cons

Departments can be a bit siloed. More cross team interaction would be good!

"Great People, Company Needs Work"

I worked at Etna Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are great and genuinely care for one another. There are a few people left in higher roles that are attempting to make things better. The company tries to get people engaged and they are working to fix the problems that are plaguing the company but unfortunately, it may be too late.

Cons

This is a great place to work if you are just starting your career. However, after one year, you’ll probably be ready to leave. The company use to be full of brilliant people and the future was looking promising. This can no longer be said. The individuals who know their worth have already left or are in the process of leaving. Each department has their weaknesses, yes, but management needs to stop ignoring the bigger picture. Management is so focused externally that internally, people are crumbling.

If you’re a hard worker who is focused on results and constantly improving your skills, don’t apply here. You can go above and beyond your job description and obtain knowledge and skills that offer the company far more value than that of your colleague – but you will be paid the same amount as your colleague who does the bare minimum and spends most of their day talking…because it’s “not in the budget”. Expect to be told not to compare yourself to others in the company if you dare bring this up. The pay is not competitive enough and doesn’t come close to the cost of living in this county which can make it difficult for people.

How can you expect the great employees to continue being great when they’re underpaid, underappreciated, and undervalued? If the morale doesn’t get them, then another company will. Expect to continuously shed light on big issues and get ignored. Expect to receive little support from those who work outside of your department. And expect to have a conversation with your superior about the multiple instances of poor performance, neglect, and disrespect that you may be experiencing and have your superior defend/make excuses for it. This company needs to stop placing “yes-men” in management roles. Promote the ones who challenge the status quo, the ones who understand the tactics, the ones who look out for both the company, and the employees. Only then will the company begin to grow again. Instead of talking about the issue of creativity, I recommend focusing first on the bigger problems.

My conclusion for would-be Etna employees…I wouldn't recommend Etna. You will spend more time fixing other problems, sitting in on meetings that aren't productive, and you will spend more time feeling like you’re being taken advantage of.

Advice to Management

Re-consider what it means to be an Etnan and really dive into why employees are upset. Continue to celebrate the little wins, and remember to pull people aside that are going "beyond the call" and remind them that their work isn't going unnoticed.

3. "Etna Review"

I have been working at Etna Interactive full-time

Pros

Great Atmosphere
    Nice people to work with

Cons

Learning curve can be steep

Advice to Management

Consolidate support files into one area instead of spread about.

4. "Etna review"

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Work can be grinding at times.

"Quantity, Not Quality"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Etna Interactive full-time

Pros

Culture, culture, culture. Etna has spent years cultivating a positive, fun, lively work environment, and it shows. Most current and former Etnans say, without hesitation, that the people are what make it great. During the hiring process, individual personality and cultural fit are weighed just as heavily as skills and experience.

Cons

In recent years, Etna has gone from a stalwart of innovation to a profit-driven sweatshop. The language might be a little dramatic, but the sentiment is the same. Upper management is EXTREMELY concerned with "utilization," a much-maligned corporate buzzword that basically translates to billable output. This completely crushes the creative process and doesn't allow for any type of thoughtfulness in our work. It also significantly reduces our ability to experiment and innovate. Most importantly, intense focus on utilization is a precursor to burnout. Promotions are dependent on utilization rather than talent, tenure, skills, or really anything else. If you can make Etna a lot of money, you'll rise straight through the ranks.

I worry this newfound shift in focus is responsible for our declining levels of client satisfaction. We're simply not the same agency we used to be.

Advice to Management

We know turnover is a concern, but you don't need webinars and conferences to understand how to make us stick around. Want to retain talented, hardworking Millennials? We don't want another ping-pong table or an elaborate holiday party. Instead, we want you to recognize the quality of our work and reward good ideas instead of constantly pushing for more "output." Show us that professional growth and development are possible, and give us space to create. In return, we'll reward you and our clients handily with beautiful, well-performing websites, ads, and marketing plans that are like nothing else in the industry.

(Oh, and speaking of clients? A more thorough client screening process can make everyone's lives easier. Let's stop sinking money into adversarial clients who will never be happy and seek out clients who are excited to collaborate and contribute.)

Etna Interactive Response

Oct 24, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I’m glad to hear that you value our culture as much as we do. The leadership team and I really care about creating a great place to work and it... More

"Stellar Place to Work, but Potential to Improve"

I have been working at Etna Interactive full-time

Pros

Etna offers an upbeat and casual environment, a pretty generous compensation package, room for growth & development, lots of fun events and activities, and even opportunities to give back. The staff is full of bright, creative thinkers and working with these great people is one of the best things about the company. Everyone truly cares about the quality of work and delivering the best products & results to our clients. This results in some great collaboration and innovation along the way. Etna supports their own. Be it professional development, or just working around personal hardships, they go out of their way to accommodate what's best for the individual as well as the company. The camaraderie here is excellent.

Cons

There are some players in key positions that simply don't have the chops and that holds back team members' full potential success & enjoyment of their work. If these particular managers were trained to be better - or we had more suitable ones in place - we could elevate to new heights, increase production, and reduce employee-turnaround which is often a problem here. We've lost several really good, talented folks that would all agree with the pros mentioned, but it's this final piece that ultimately encourages them to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Hold management accountable. They say a chain is only as strong as the weakest link, well that goes double, triple, quadruple, etc., when that link connects to several other lengths of chain. Can we implement standards or procedures to ensure that the whole connection is strong & united? Perhaps employees fill out a review of some fashion on their managers that is reviewed by directors? Some feedback has been given / collected here and there in the past - via direct conversations, group discussions, exit interviews, etc - but we haven't seen this effect any significant change thus far.

"Great People but Needs Improvement"

I worked at Etna Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people. Etna is mostly comprised of talented, kind-hearted, collaborative people.
    - Work-life balance. Work-life balance is engrained in Etna's culture, and it helps create a laid-back, energetic workplace.
    - The CEO and core values. Ryan Miller, the CEO, is fantastic. He genuinely cares about his company, his employees, and his clients. He embodies the company's core values and makes sure that they never fall by the wayside.
    - The Admin team. Etna's Admin team goes above-and-beyond to make sure that the employees are taken care of. From stocking the kitchen with snacks to coordinating opportunities to give back to hosting a fantastic weekly happy hour, they work incredibly hard to make sure that the employees are taken care of.

Cons

- Management. There are some departments that are lacking leadership they desperately need. While the teams are smart and self-driven, the lack of a good, effective, engaged leader is a detriment that effects the teams and, by extension, their clients.
    - Opportunities for growth. While there is plenty of opportunity for "growth" within the company, the promotion process that is in place for some departments cheapens the process and the outcome. It is not based on employees' overall quality of work, client relationship management, or leadership potential. It's a gamified system that has created competition and tension that did not previously exist.
    - Providing company feedback. While many members of HR and the leadership team have created comfortable, safe spaces to provide company feedback and discuss solutions, it is disheartening to see nothing come of that feedback.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your employees and take action when needed. Creating a safe space to talk is one thing, but knowing when action needs to be taken is much more important, especially when multiple people are bringing up the same issues. It could be the difference between keeping and losing valuable team members.
    - Ensure your teams have the leadership and guidance they need to be successful. Putting in place quarterly, anonymous manager reviews would be greatly beneficial.

8. "Awesome Environment & Great People"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Etna Interactive full-time

Pros

Etna Interactive makes a point that you know who you're working with. When you start you get to meet all the members from the different teams so you immediately feel included. The culture is great; people are kind, professional, and good at what they do. You even get to learn more about them at Friday happy hours. They're good at being flexible with your work schedule - whether you like coming in at 7 or 9, they can accommodate and offer working from home as well. From coffee to snacks and even Emergen-C®, they've got your back. Ryan (CEO) is willing to talk to you about the company and is passionate in taking care of his employees. Upper management is very transparent and all ears in hearing ideas | advice to better the company.

Cons

Base level pay is low compared to other places I have worked for with similar duties - I guess this could be compensated for if you achieve yearly bonuses and stay long enough to get raises you deserve. As an agency, you have to bill your time to prove what your efforts were throughout the day - every day. This can get a little nuanced and take up more time than needed. Although duties (at least for Marketing Specialists) are consistent, each specialist can approach them in a different manner and pass the next step on to you. This can either set your up for success or failure which is illustrated in your work product, not theirs. The company went through a significant revamping when merging the marketing department and the social media department. There still rests a few things that haven't been fully implemented and are a little undefined.

Advice to Management

Keep being you, you're doing great.

9. "OK"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Etna Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a job, what more can you say?

Cons

Not as bad as many.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on.

"Not a happy place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Etna Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great clients. Reasonable project timelines.

Cons

Inconsistency between declared company 'values' and actual employee treatment.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees. Include employees in company planning, at least keep them informed.