Etsy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Etsy CEO Josh Silverman
Josh Silverman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life balance (at least my manager works really hard to accomodate this)" (in 10 reviews)

• "Great place to work as a marginalized person" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance was a mixed bag" (in 6 reviews)

• "I was always curious what happens during management training, because it seemed like it had little to no effect on them" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I'm Lucky That I Can Say "I Love My Job""

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an engineer, I love Etsy's culture of curiosity. While industry standard best practices are of course important and are the standard for good reasons, it never hurts to explore and experiment with alternative approaches. Having experienced Etsy from an inside perspective for over a year now, I can definitely attest to the increased freedom, benefit and satisfaction from exercising the curiosity culture in my day-to-day work.

As a human and just "I want to work so I can live my life" perspective, Etsy's benefits, culture (not necessarily just engineering culture), work-life balance and many other aspects hit the spot for me. Etsy is definitely a people-oriented company and while all the initiatives and projects ultimately reflect that people-oriented mindset, it also reflects nicely in the company culture for employees, too.

Cons

Purely as an engineer, there's just one relatively minor point. Having started as a small startup back in 2005, there are definitely remnants of a bygone era of "wild west coding" at Etsy. New code that gets churned out nowadays is honestly fine, but it's not entirely rare to come across a codebase that has a lot of legacy code in it still.

With some of the shakeups in the past half a year (As of November '17), there've also been some re-orgs and while it was overall positive and a great change in my opinion, naturally there are still some kinks to be worked out.

That said, I want to keep it clear that the above two points are actively being worked on, at least within the teams I interact with. They're just points to keep in mind given recent events.

Advice to Management

Honestly, great job. I was honestly skeptical about the company's future half a year ago. Now? I'm so stoked. I'm excited. This is what I wanted out of this stage of my career and I'm loving it.

Let's kick some butt and make Etsy even more successful.

2. "Bring your full self; Everybody is helpful"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at Etsy for over 5 years and 2 things that are still 100% true is that Etsy is a company where you can bring your full self to work and everybody who works there goes out of their way to be helpful. We have always strived to be a welcoming place full of diverse people and ideas. The thing I appreciate about the new executive leadership is that that is still true and we're getting better at being more transparent and realistic about the business environment in which we operate, and our competition. Inclusion and collaboration has NOT been sacrificed for increased focus on working on the things that matter and align with a more focused strategy.

Cons

Planning, coordination, and prioritization continue to be areas that are undefined by Etsy's established culture and practices. This often can feel like chaos. As mentioned in the Pros section, everybody who works there truly cares about the company and their projects and strives to be helpful, but there can still be a lot of friction and overhead when it comes to resolving project conflicts (deadlines, staffing, etc). Another way to look at this is that Etsy has always valued empowering individuals and frontline teams to make decisions, which worked well when it was a 100 person company, but this hasn't scaled up.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve the guiding strategy such that it can be more actionable for prioritization (as mentioned in the Cons). Continue to work to add company-wide coordination and planning as a first-class aspect of Etsy culture and know-how.

3. "Change is hard, but I think it's working"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Company strategy seems much more focused than before the change in leadership
    - I currently work on more impactful projects than I did before
    - I work with really smart people every day
    - I'm always learning new things
    - My manager(s) have always made space for me to tackle new challenges to grow my skillset
    - My manager(s) have always been very kind and thoughtful, and take feedback well
    - Compared to every place I've ever worked, Etsy has been one of the kindest and most thoughtful workplaces that I've been in -- both from the individuals that I work with day to day, as well as the managers that look out for me in the Design org

Cons

- HR and people management in general is a bit messy -- it's not always clear how you can get promoted or get a raise
    - Product org has lacked senior leadership for a very long time, leading to sub-optimal product management processes and a lack of overall product strategy. Onboarding for product managers seems to be nonexistent, and I see us hiring a lot of very junior PMs who might be very smart, but seem to me somewhat inexperienced. As a result, Product Designers and other partners end up picking up the slack.

Advice to Management

Set a higher bar for Product Managers, or take more time to support junior PMs in their growth.

Be more open and transparent about compensation policies -- invite more discourse, rather than making a change and announcing it without room for folks to ask for change (even though they do anyway, thankfully!).

4. "Great company, great comeback, still a few things to work out."

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture. Supportive, positive atmosphere. Massively talented and passionate employees. Great perks, good pay.

Cons

Too many meetings, too much formal feedback too frequently. Health, 401k, and vacation time are average.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Scale back a bit of the goal setting and feedback to a manageable cadence. It's a positive process, just too frequent.

"Clueless, Hopeless, Soon to Perish"

I have been working at Etsy full-time

Pros

Useless bells and whistles in the office space. The only good thing anyone internally has ever had to say about that company.

Cons

Big shots with little skills, nepotism, fresh from undergrad in senior levels, incompetence, bleak business outlook and lack of senior direction, people stay around long enough that they're promoted without actually doing anything and recruiters work from home every day so it's a self-fulfilling cycle where talent can't come in and poor talent retains

Advice to Management

Fire the other 1/2 of the workforce. Then figure out how to actually turn some profit without doing that.

"Disappointed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

-Interesting products and challenges
    -Cozy office space
    -Unlimited sick day

Cons

- Work/life balance is poor. I am stuck in so many useless meetings that the only time I do actual work is on my "lunch break” (when 12-1 or 1-2 isn’t booked or double booked with even more meetings on my calendar) or evenings/weekends.
    -However, I’m an afterthought for meetings that actually would be helpful for me, but I’m not invited to them. Then I’m berated for not knowing something that was discussed in those meetings. Usually the one doing the berating is the person who’s setting up those meetings…that I’m not invited to. And the cycle continues.
    -Which leads to communication, which is terrible here. Obtaining relevant information and answers that is crucial for me to do my job effectively is like pulling teeth.
    -People in leadership and product management roles don’t seemed to be equipped or experienced enough to handle their job responsibilities. Stop putting 23-year-olds in charge of entire product verticals. They lack the experience and confidence to get the job done.
    -PMs and designers get in their own way and overthink products.Don’t seem to really be listening to what buyers or sellers actually need.
    - I'm surprised by how cold and/or unhappy so many people seem here. I was expecting a much warmer, friendlier group of people. Maybe everyone is just so burned out and suffering under a cloud of toxic confusion and miscommunication, that they have nothing left to give socially. Most people come across as insincere. I feel like I’m working among a bunch of zombies.

Advice to Management

If people you just hired are already planning on leaving, that is a terrible sign. It's time to roll up your sleeves and do the difficult work of figuring out why your company is such a train wreck. Remove incompetent people, improve collaboration and communication, and stop working everyone to the bone.

"Questionable management practices"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Etsy full-time

Pros

Decent pay. Great benefits. New CEO seems like he knows what he's doing.

Cons

Poor communication from director level management. Lots of turnover in all levels of management. Unable to keep good people because of a tendency to favor culture over skill level. Infrastructure and approach is about 10 years behind. Management seemed to have a lack of experience and/or training.

Advice to Management

Training and maybe try to hire less Google people. They're pretentious and tend to look down on anyone who doesn't fit the coder lifestyle. You don't have to be a software engineer for jobs that don't involve software engineering.

8. "Great Place to Work"

I worked at Etsy full-time

Pros

Etsy was a fun place to work. The culture of the marketplace is evident in the culture of the people who work there. The office in Brooklyn is amazing, and the satellite offices also have a charm of their own. The technical culture is well developed and there were usually a good number of senior engineers to learn from when I was there.

Cons

Like any public company, there can be some turmoil based around earnings reports and shifting goals / expectations.

Advice to Management

Make sure the culture remains intact even as earnings seem more and more important.

9. "Wow, I am impressed!"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What a great place to work! Family nature, great work to do, caring people & teams, fun work to do and fun atmosphere. I expected to land in a new job that I would love after my great interview experience with the team; but, that was surpassed. I am very happy to be here!

Cons

No much, maybe that I would like move coffee on my floor :)

Advice to Management

Keep up great interaction work, we love it - we also want to continue to know where we are headed as a company.

10. "Senior Consultant"

I have been working at Etsy full-time

Pros

Excellent Leadership
    great career opportunities
    excellent flexibility

Cons

None to mention
    no problems