Etsy Reviews | Glassdoor

Etsy CEO Josh Silverman
Josh Silverman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance was a mixed bag" (in 6 reviews)

• "Little to no room for career advancement and/or growth" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I'm Lucky That I Can Say "I Love My Job""

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an engineer, I love Etsy's culture of curiosity. While industry standard best practices are of course important and are the standard for good reasons, it never hurts to explore and experiment with alternative approaches. Having experienced Etsy from an inside perspective for over a year now, I can definitely attest to the increased freedom, benefit and satisfaction from exercising the curiosity culture in my day-to-day work.

As a human and just "I want to work so I can live my life" perspective, Etsy's benefits, culture (not necessarily just engineering culture), work-life balance and many other aspects hit the spot for me. Etsy is definitely a people-oriented company and while all the initiatives and projects ultimately reflect that people-oriented mindset, it also reflects nicely in the company culture for employees, too.

Cons

Purely as an engineer, there's just one relatively minor point. Having started as a small startup back in 2005, there are definitely remnants of a bygone era of "wild west coding" at Etsy. New code that gets churned out nowadays is honestly fine, but it's not entirely rare to come across a codebase that has a lot of legacy code in it still.

With some of the shakeups in the past half a year (As of November '17), there've also been some re-orgs and while it was overall positive and a great change in my opinion, naturally there are still some kinks to be worked out.

That said, I want to keep it clear that the above two points are actively being worked on, at least within the teams I interact with. They're just points to keep in mind given recent events.

Advice to Management

Honestly, great job. I was honestly skeptical about the company's future half a year ago. Now? I'm so stoked. I'm excited. This is what I wanted out of this stage of my career and I'm loving it.

Let's kick some butt and make Etsy even more successful.

2. "Absolutely the best company to work for"

I have been working at Etsy full-time

Pros

- Great environment
    - Fun problems to work on
    - Dogs at the office
    - Great office location
    - Well paying
    - Fun co-workers

Cons

- A lot of change
    - Can be a lot of meetings if you let it

3. "As long as you can ride the change wave...this is a great place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission of the company
    The people, the culture
    Always challenging

Cons

Still finding our footing in growth and change

"Enjoying Every Single Day"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

By far the best part of working here is the people that you see every day. Etsy has some of the kindest, smartest, and most diligent employees that I've had the opportunity to work with. I don't feel like I'm competing with my coworkers, but rather that we're working towards a common goal, and supporting each other along the way.

There is a wide surface of technical challenges and products to work on, and everything is making progress at a fast pace.

We have a culture of sharing knowledge, so if you have a question, you can approach anyone in the company (a bit of a double-edged sword).

Compensation and benefits are pretty good. While not top-tier, I feel that I was made a very respectable offer coming in, and they give generous raises and bonuses according to your performance. The benefits are pretty good (401K, health, dental, life, a bunch of extras).

Cons

Some of the technology is a bit dated, and there's a (responsible and well-intentioned) conservatism about modernizing tools and infrastructure. We are making progress on this.

The open-office layout is not good at all for concentration. There are a ton of distractions, ESPECIALLY slack.

Some restructuring has caused gaps in coverage of legacy systems. This should be addressed.

It's been pretty hard to get extra hardware for testing or development, hopefully that issue goes away soon.

Advice to Management

You're doing great. I really appreciate the frequent updates and insight into what's happening across the organization. I love that we are so user-focused in everything we do. I hope that we can preserve some of what made Etsy unique in the early days as we push to grow as an organization and business. I like the charm of the place, and your employees care a great deal about doing great work. You've got a lot going for you, so just take care to preserve and improve, and don't just make us another ecommerce site with the same corporate culture as everyone else.

5. "Great place to work, employees are incredibly fortunate to work here."

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Culture
    -Smart Executives
    -Genuine and intelligent people
    -Impressive and well curated office spaces
    -Creative and fun company events (community hours, talent shows, etc.)

The company has had an impressive turnaround from layoffs and through uncertain times and most current employees are optimistic about the present and future.

Cons

Passion and intelligence alone does not equal a job well done. Continue to improve internal communications, teamwork, leadership, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to successfully make smart business decisions, with our sellers and employees best interest in mind.

6. "Customer Service"

I worked at Etsy full-time

Pros

Great people, lovely perks (free lunch and snacks, great interior design, fun company events etc.)

Cons

Very low pay and little chance for advancement.

7. "Amazing people & company!"

Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Etsy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Teams, culture, flexibility, technology work/life balance

Cons

there can be a lot of over communication and little to no email discipline. I spend a large part of my time informing people on what I do and have done instead of doing...

Advice to Management

Keep investing in technology.

"Change is hard, but I think it's working"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Company strategy seems much more focused than before the change in leadership
    - I currently work on more impactful projects than I did before
    - I work with really smart people every day
    - I'm always learning new things
    - My manager(s) have always made space for me to tackle new challenges to grow my skillset
    - My manager(s) have always been very kind and thoughtful, and take feedback well
    - Compared to every place I've ever worked, Etsy has been one of the kindest and most thoughtful workplaces that I've been in -- both from the individuals that I work with day to day, as well as the managers that look out for me in the Design org

Cons

- HR and people management in general is a bit messy -- it's not always clear how you can get promoted or get a raise
    - Product org has lacked senior leadership for a very long time, leading to sub-optimal product management processes and a lack of overall product strategy. Onboarding for product managers seems to be nonexistent, and I see us hiring a lot of very junior PMs who might be very smart, but seem to me somewhat inexperienced. As a result, Product Designers and other partners end up picking up the slack.

Advice to Management

Set a higher bar for Product Managers, or take more time to support junior PMs in their growth.

Be more open and transparent about compensation policies -- invite more discourse, rather than making a change and announcing it without room for folks to ask for change (even though they do anyway, thankfully!).

9. "Dispute Investigation Agent"

Current Employee - Dispute Investigation Agent in Hudson, NY
    Current Employee - Dispute Investigation Agent in Hudson, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People, culture, benefits are great.

Cons

Hard to come up with cons-- things are on the up and up

10. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Etsy full-time

Pros

Tremendous culture of performance and collegiality - it's a wonderful place to work and unlike anywhere I've ever been. The warmth here and the passion for what we do makes it a joy to come to work everyday.

Cons

I do not have any at this time.