Etsy Reviews | Glassdoor

Etsy CEO Josh Silverman
Josh Silverman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance was a mixed bag (in 5 reviews)

• I was always curious what happens during management training, because it seemed like it had little to no effect on them (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I'm Lucky That I Can Say "I Love My Job""

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an engineer, I love Etsy's culture of curiosity. While industry standard best practices are of course important and are the standard for good reasons, it never hurts to explore and experiment with alternative approaches. Having experienced Etsy from an inside perspective for over a year now, I can definitely attest to the increased freedom, benefit and satisfaction from exercising the curiosity culture in my day-to-day work.

As a human and just "I want to work so I can live my life" perspective, Etsy's benefits, culture (not necessarily just engineering culture), work-life balance and many other aspects hit the spot for me. Etsy is definitely a people-oriented company and while all the initiatives and projects ultimately reflect that people-oriented mindset, it also reflects nicely in the company culture for employees, too.

Cons

Purely as an engineer, there's just one relatively minor point. Having started as a small startup back in 2005, there are definitely remnants of a bygone era of "wild west coding" at Etsy. New code that gets churned out nowadays is honestly fine, but it's not entirely rare to come across a codebase that has a lot of legacy code in it still.

With some of the shakeups in the past half a year (As of November '17), there've also been some re-orgs and while it was overall positive and a great change in my opinion, naturally there are still some kinks to be worked out.

That said, I want to keep it clear that the above two points are actively being worked on, at least within the teams I interact with. They're just points to keep in mind given recent events.

Advice to Management

Honestly, great job. I was honestly skeptical about the company's future half a year ago. Now? I'm so stoked. I'm excited. This is what I wanted out of this stage of my career and I'm loving it.

Let's kick some butt and make Etsy even more successful.

"A new management team and philosophy"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a more pragmatic and focused approach for the strategy set forth.

Cons

For old time employees, it takes some adjusting - for new-comers, now is a great time to join.

"Great company with an improved trajectory"

I worked at Etsy full-time

Pros

Overall, I'm really jazzed about this company. I was able to see it continuously improve over my time at the company with an increasing level of focus. The new perpsectives of the leadership that was brought in will push the company to get to the next level

Cons

Historically had been too much of a consensus-driven culture.

Many people are values-focused without an understanding of what the values were or whether they were internally consistent

Former employees were relatively entitled and cared more about the perks than making a difference for the sellers or for the company. Many have left and the capabilities of the ones that are remained are bringing up the bar.

Advice to Management

Broaden the appeal of the marketplace to more ethnicities, socioeconomic brackets and men

4. "Depends a lot on the team you're on"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Etsy measures progress using good business metrics. Focus on GMS over revenue. Our sellers win when we win

Working on an ambulance project was the most rewarding thing I've done at Etsy to date regardless of the circumstances

Many solid career opportunities in the wake of all the departures

Cons

Retention is a major problem because retention is a major problem. People don't even respond to some of the goodbye emails anymore

Dysfunctional "nobody's saying yes or no" decision-making is slowly coming back

Advice to Management

"We had 2 profitable quarters!" is clearly exciting to the executive team but not rank and file after the past 6 months. Our mission is still pretty cool even after the nonsense was cut away

"Etsy is on the turn around"

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm seeing Etsy's culture change to focus on results, accountability and actionable feedback. We are seeing some of the best business results and delivering features at the fastest pace in the last 2 years.

While the old Etsy culture was about being nice and avoiding confrontation, it was slowly killing the business from the inside.

Cons

There are still a lot of people here having trouble adjusting to the culture shift, and thus are leaving the company and writing poor reviews on Glassdoor. Unfortunately, we are losing a good amount of domain knowledge with the attrition.

However, I'm optimistic we are keeping our best performers and people are willing to work hard to make the company grow.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting and incentivising the positive cultural shift through team and individual recognition.

Accelerate the introduction of performance management, it's long overdue.

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health benefits
    Generous sick and PTO time
    Collaboration
    Work/life balance (at least my manager works really hard to accomodate this)
    The work is challenging and often fun

Cons

Etsy is still a great place to work compared to a lot of other companies. Some recent negative reviews are exaggerated and dramatic, which is more of a reflection of the company putting too much emphasis on "culture" and not always hiring the best and most experienced workers for the job. There's a lot of entitlement, which continues to shock me, as not all companies are going to give paid health benefits, very generous sick and PTO, and a terrific work/life balance. I hear everyone talk about the "old" Etsy a lot which included poor product planning, subpar engineering, and major lack of communication across the company. We're finally stepping in the right direction, but I don't feel like Josh is the right fit for Etsy. He has the business expertise, which we desperately need, but it's clear he lacks the ability to manage a company that's so protective of their culture . He's alienated a lot of employees and excelerated attrition, which at one time was curtly referred to as "natural". While we've improved GMS and attracted new members to the site, a lot of products are broken and need to be addressed. Engineering time is now impossible to get because of the wave of attrition in engineering. The loss of a lot of people has in itself pros and cons, but since they arrogantly didn't think this many would actually leave, HR has been super slow to backfill the positions leaving the remaining employees with having to pick up the extra work. Josh and the executive team at one point made it seem as if we all werent willing to pitch in and we needed to essentially grow up to act like adults, which also turned a lot of employees off and gave them an extra push to leave. Unfortunately, this alienated a lot of hard working employees who had been picking up the slack, so I'm not surprised "natural" attrition has drastically increased. It should've only been addressed directly to the employees with a bad attitude, not to the entire company.

Advice to Management

-- Review your management teams and ensure they are performing. In my org alone, there were two managers who never had a clue about anything but were pulling triggers on decisions.
    -- Continue to review management levels and cut the fat. Josh likes to talk about cutting down on bureaucracy, but it's not entirely true. There is a lot more work to be done here. There is one team with Senior Managers and then Managers. The senior managers are no help and have no idea what's going on with their teams. Additionally, I have four different levels of bosses I need to go through to get things addressed. This is a major problem when one boss doesn't want to bring things up to her/his boss because she/he thinks it'll make her/him look bad. This is just bad management.
    -- Allow your employees to be completely and 100% honest with their questions and concerns to upper management and executive levels. When the layoffs happened, there was a lot of confusion, worry, and anger. People were asking hard questions and venting. This is human nature. While I under people need to be respectful a recent change feels like censorship and that the executives weren't interested in listening to their employees concerns and worries and address them in a front straight forward manner. If we're keeping commerce human, make sure to treat your employees as human as well.

"Why I love Etsy"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Etsy (Less than a year)

Pros

Very positive remote culture
    Excellent benefits
    Stock bonuses for most employees
    Great onboarding

Cons

Very hard to get hired.

Advice to Management

Keep Etsy Human

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Director in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super creative and supportive team doing great things for great sellers. There's something magical about working at a mission-driven company. The new leadership is taking us to new heights.

Cons

Long time employees who got comfortable with doing the minimum are unhappy with the new direction and it's annoying to try to motivate them.

Advice to Management

Invest in brand

"Change is Hard, but for the Best"

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

--Excellent benefits, beautiful office
    --If you're willing to work, you are generally rewarded
    --Previous leadership (since laid off) was probably more values aligned, but their vision for the company wasn't getting it done, and new leadership has recognized that and adjusted accordingly.

Cons

--Getting the comp you deserve can often come down to a manager going to bat for you. HR is generally well-intentioned in this department, but kind of useless.
    --The Kool-Aid Drinkers of the "old Etsy" are still around (and still leaving nasty reviews here) and they're unwillingness to accept the changes manifests itself in sometimes mediocre work and dumb things like petitions .

Advice to Management

Keep at it. The process will be hard, but it's worth it and you're on the right track.

"Could be a great place to work, but sadly isn't."

I worked at Etsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first started working at Etsy, the company felt like a magical place. Three years ago, having unlimited sick days, decent PTO, free snacks and a couple of lunches a week felt like actual perks, whereas now this is industry standard (not to mention Etsy has cutback on all of these things tremendously following massive layoffs and restructuring). The main pros I can think of is just experience. For anyone who isn't coming from a tech background, you can learn a lot here (as long as you make it your business to learn, and push your way into experiences, which is not always easy).

Cons

I had several experiences at Etsy that I felt were based in sexism and misogyny, a few of which I escalated to HR and upper management. I felt I was dismissed, and was told the issue would "resolve itself." After a few years at Etsy, I could really see that there is a lot of darkness here, at least in certain organizations. Women are not always empowered to speak up about their compensation, career trajectory, or general experiences within the company. I can't speak for the men there, so I don't know how their experience differs. I would caution any young women working here to be really tough on their managers to ensure they are receiving proper compensation. I left Etsy never being compensated for a large portion of the work I had done.

Advice to Management

Start realizing that people no longer will work for free because of "perks." Perks don't pay the bills or put food on the table. People need to know that Etsy VALUES them (god forbid) so investing in people who can actually get things done is the only way this company will not be bought out in a year. Pay attention to feedback, stop hiring based solely on personality and cultural fit. Fix broken products!!