KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 273 of over 349 reviews

4.6
Etsy CEO Josh Silverman
Josh Silverman

What people are saying about Etsy

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Etsy and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A great place to work

Aug 2, 2022 - Software Engineering Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Highly collaborative. Engineering takes ownership of problems without casting blame. Executive team communicates regularly and effectively with the rest of the company.

Cons

Highly collaborative also means a fairly full meeting schedule.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Thoughtful intentions, duplicitous actions.

Aug 5, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, though nowhere near as good as other tech/commerce companies. Mental health days. Thoughtful, empathetic culture (to a point). Fun office. Good people.

Cons

Far too much first-time, ineffective middle management, stalling out decisions in endless cycles of approval and causing toxic stress where there shouldn't be. Ineffective managers do not trust subject matter experts. Performance review feedback given is often not actioned, meaning potentially toxic situations do not improve. Internal promotions are hard to come by. Company spends money in mind-bogglingly frivolous ways but then has layoffs without cutting leadership salaries or allowing employees to find another internal role. Constant restructuring is woefully misguided, cutting important roles and basic services that any company should have. Work/life balance became worse over the years. Work often felt meaningless and isolating due to constantly changing priorities.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Adding to the choir: Pretty awesome place to work!

Jul 12, 2022 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful mission driven work to Keep Commerce Human! The people who work here are wonderful, smart, and motivated to make Etsy the best destination for people to find unique, one-of-a-kind goods. Great benefits too and I really feel seen as a whole human being at work.

Cons

So many meetings! If you hate meetings, Etsy is not the place for you. The culture is extremely collaborative (a pro!) but to a fault (a con). As I also understand it, compensation is not the most competitive and it could be a lot better. We also don't get to cash out vacation days when we leave which is a bit of a bummer (unless your state mandates it).

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Busy but still balanced & rewarding

Feb 14, 2022 - Brand Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- I'm proud of the work I do. I believe that what I develop truly helps people, and that's rewarding. - I'm provided the leeway and confidence to try new things which keeps my job interesting and challenging. - I have consistent support from teammates across the company which helps to ensure my outputs represent cross-departmental goals and beliefs. - I have access to management and trusting relationships with folks numerous "levels" above me. - Although I'm very, very busy, I still have more work-life balance than I've ever experienced before. Even if I'm feeling overwhelmed, I have the confidence that I can comfortably log off work at a reasonable time without judgement from others.

Cons

- Projects often require input from too many people. This can result in deadlines being pushed back too many times, or even the final product becoming diluted as a result of trying to incorporate everyone's preferences. - Niche roles and new markets sometimes don't receive the support needed to operate efficiently, resulting in numerous folks taking on time-consuming projects outside their responsibilities, adding to stress and workload but also slowing down progress on key goals that are their true role responsibilities.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Chaotic Org and Management but a Great Place to Work with Good People

Feb 18, 2022 - Staff Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Very, very good overall benefits and salary, they've gotten better since I've started - Work is not typically fast paced - Strong DEI initiatives - More accountability and transparency than you usually get in the Tech industry - Many thoughtful and well-intentioned people work at Etsy who care about their coworkers and try hard to keep leadership accountable

Cons

- It's easier to find a new job than to get promoted, if your manager isn't interested or doesn't have time it isn't gonna happen - Reorgs are very common and can feel a little stressful - it is easy for certain teams to go rogue and do their own thing adding a lot of complexity and obstacles to getting stuff done - Bias for experimentation can often leave a wake of unresolved tech debt - EMs and PMs can be very hit or miss in terms of competency and engagement

15 people found this review helpful

Etsy Response

Etsy Management

Thank you for this thorough feedback. We’re glad that our focus on DEI initiatives and inclusive benefits have positively impacted your time with us, and we wholeheartedly agree that our colleagues are truly special. Your comments regarding internal mobility are valuable. We take great care in ensuring that all promotions go through a fair and consistent process, inclusive of cross-departmental collaborations. Because manager involvement will always be a component of promotion cycles, we provide continuous management development through tooling and professional development budgets. We’ll also continue to host sessions led by our HR team during which we walk employees through our performance review process and discuss the steps for ensuring equitable considerations for promotions and pay increases. We encourage you to utilize your HR Business partner for these conversations as well as for discussions in the instances of reorgs. We’re committed to ensuring equity of career progression at Etsy.

6. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

A team and mission you can feel good working for

May 25, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- People there actually believe in Etsy's mission and values, which trickles out into not just aligned work but good-heartedness demonstrated by most teammates - On a related note, very inclusive - Treat employees really well in terms of compensation, benefits, etc

Cons

- Might be different now, but during my six years, there were a high number of significant and disruptive shifts in terms of leadership, department structures, reporting structures, and the like—on the other hand though, this was during a major growth period, so some amount of that is to be expected - Because the mission is so important, there was some tension around how to honor that as a public company/answering to a board

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Benefits

Jul 13, 2022 - Taxonomist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Personally aligned with the company mission and vision. Great benefits and competitive pay.

Cons

Current team is small and not a good personal fit.