Etsy Reviews

Found 202 of over 256 reviews

4.4
Etsy CEO Josh Silverman
Josh Silverman
Pros
  • "Teams, culture, flexibility, technology work/life balance(in 14 reviews)

• "Great people, beautiful offices (when we could go to them)(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work Life Balance is a must here(in 9 reviews)

• "High Sellers costs for any shop bringing in 20K or more(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Awesome company

Jun 7, 2021 - Senior Technology Recruiter in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people! And a "blameless culture."

Cons

Big company with a lot of process.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company

May 21, 2021 - Staff Product Designer in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very humane company where people truly care about your welfare and happiness as a human being. My work is challenging in an exciting way, I have a great team and an excellent manager, and my compensation is competitive. I learn something new every day, and I've developed some of my deepest most meaningful relationships with other folks at Etsy.

Cons

The Product organization isn't super strong, particularly Product leadership.

3 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0

great place to work

Jun 3, 2021 - Cyber Security Engineering in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

amazing team, adapted well to pandemic, great benefits

Cons

antiquated stack, hard to move quickly

4. 2.0

krystal

Jun 16, 2021 - Behavior Technician in Loxahatchee, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

working alone my own projects

Cons

they take most of profit

5. 4.0
      Former Employee

Marketing

Jun 13, 2021 - Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

Always growing and learning among peers

Cons

Low pay, no work/life balance, limited growth opportunities, disconnection between leadership and employees actually executing

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent Place!

May 19, 2021 - Applied Scientist in Long Island City, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent culture people tech product

Cons

None really! excellent experience so far!

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Full of mediocrity

Mar 31, 2021 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are great, people are nice and friendly, eng culture is second to none, lots of opportunities to connect with others

Cons

The strategy & ops team is a mess, especially in HR – often seems like they have no clue what they’re doing, and all they care about is pandering to the ET. full of people who have been promoted on the good graces of certain ET members. Lots of power hoarding and secret decisions (lack of transparency). internal communications is also a mess – way too many emails and unnecessary Slack channels. people spin up working groups without clear roles and responsibilities. If you’ve worked at Amex, you’re a shoo-in, there’s a bunch of Amex nepotism at Etsy. no accountability for managers or mediocre performance, as long as senior leaders are appeased. people don’t know how to manage

9 people found this review helpful

Etsy Response

Etsy Management

Thank you for your feedback. We agree wholeheartedly that our engineering culture is something very special and we’re glad that our focus on providing thorough benefits has been well-received. But we’re sorry to read some of these other comments. We’ve found that with our recent rapid growth, we needed to scale our employee base to maintain momentum. One of the departments receiving hiring support and attention is our HR group. We agree that in order to support so many people effectively, our HR team needs balance and access to resources. We’re committed to providing that and we’re already making strides. Competing with top organizations for talent, we do have some employees that have similar company experience. By following our consistent protocols for upward and cross-departmental mobility, we are careful to avoid any preferential treatment. We’re sorry if you felt differently in your time with us, but we can assure you that upward, merit-based mobility is an area we take great care in navigating.

8. 5.0

GREAT

May 12, 2021 - Founder in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

GREAT company to work at

Cons

NO CONS, just started the job

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

This is a company with great benefits but no room for growth

Nov 3, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

There was a lot of support at Etsy. The benefits were amazing. My 5 years there I felt that I could be open with my work and the benefits and issues that came along with it. I worked with great partners and teams over my 5 years.

Cons

The age old tale at Etsy was that it was able to find someone like myself who had been in the same position for a few years and had never received a promotion. Despite having good review after good review, nothing I did to take on more work ever helped shift a promotion to my direction. Which was already tough because in my 5 years there I had 6 different managers one of them twice, which equals a manager shuffle 7 times. Not only that, but there was never any real direction with where to take my position. Every time I tried to move forward I was told to take a step back because they had no idea where to put me or what to make of my role as it was growing. Also, the benefits are great, but they are also a distraction from the poor pay imbalances within the company.

13 people found this review helpful

Etsy Response

Etsy Management

Thank you for this feedback. We’re glad that what you experience in the way of benefits, openness, and camaraderie were what you had hoped for, but we’re sorry to learn about some of your other experiences. We hear you in this feedback around upward and internal mobility, and it has been a key area of focus for our leaders. We have amped up employee development by investing in tooling and professional development budgets. For management, we’ve invested in enhanced iterations of online management training and development, inclusive even of content focusing on emotional intelligence and conversation foundations. There is still room for improvement and we’ll continue to devote resources toward this.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

In general, a great place to work

May 24, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, excellent work/life balance, family-friendly benefits and policies

Cons

Base salary is on the lower side and unfairly calibrated based on where you live

1 person found this review helpful