Etsy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Etsy CEO Josh Silverman
Josh Silverman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Related to this is a great work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great people who are smart and kind (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • I was always curious what happens during management training, because it seemed like it had little to no effect on them (in 4 reviews)

• Work life balance was a mixed bag (in 4 reviews)

1. "still lots of potential, still finding its way there"

I have been working at Etsy full-time

Pros

lots of people at Etsy are among the kindest i've ever met. the work leads to some interesting problems to solve, the office spaces are really nice, management tends to listen to buyers and sellers when they can. internal promotions are pretty common.

Cons

some perks have been recently cut back to cut costs. understandable, but still unfortunate. travel budget is tough for remote employees.

Advice to Management

take advantage of longer term employees to make sure that you don't make some of the same mistakes as management did in prior years.

"Used to be an oasis, now it's on fire"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Etsy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Prior to May 2nd, this would have been a 5 star review. Had far and away the best assortment of individuals I've ever met, very very smart Marketplace platform with engaged users, unparalleled internal tools built by admin, and highly scalable workflows. Again, prior to May 2nd, culture ensured that we had the best parties, catering, and workspaces.

Cons

If the chosen few make it to director level, they get whatever they want (including firing whoever they want) and there's no ousting them. Management often has no idea what their direct reports are doing most of the time despite significant efforts to communicate on the part of the reporter. Way too many emails and meetings and not enough working. Very easy to talk your way into / out of anything without having any real knowledge. Support hub of the company is way underpaid, all the salary budget (outside of engineering) goes to Marketing and Project / Product / Product Marketing Managers who shrug their way through their jobs and leave all the work to their underlings.

Advice to Management

Reinvest in the values (and because I know management's response will be that values are subjective, I'll clarify that by values I mean: commitment to sustainability, volunteer initiatives, community / local focus, small business) that made Etsy attractive to begin with. You will never get the talent you need to stay afloat as a GMS driven public company by pulling the plug on what has defined you thus far. Very soon, churn will reach a tipping point and there will not be enough people to run this massive platform anymore.

"Sad to see a company with so much potential turn into this."

I have been working at Etsy full-time

Pros

Great benefits and work life balance. Smart, kind, incredibly talented colleagues. Once had a strong mission that made employees feel they were really helping small-business owners succeed. Beautiful office, amazing perks. Sabbaticals and parental leave!

Cons

Where do I begin. The re-orgs are endless. Constant chaos. Next to impossible to get anything done or move your career forward. Upper management is never willing to try new ideas or innovate because that costs money, so constantly lagging behind industry standards for customer experience and e-commerce best practices.

No useful performance review system and non-competitive salaries (meaning, you have to leave to get a raise or promoted). Office politics are out of control and the corporate mind games have become the new norm. HR is a nightmare and will result in a lawsuit someday.

Advice to Management

The new leadership team is 99% brand new to Etsy (and it shows). What once was an exciting place to work with opportunities to feel like you were truly contributing is now a top-down corporate dictatorship that's all about the $$$—not about people, not about planet, just about profit. No transparency, no "we're in this together," no mission, no goals beyond make money NOW (or else).

The lack of respect for the company culture that made Etsy a great place to work is obvious. Morale is the lowest I've ever encountered and no one knows if they'll have a job tomorrow. After the layoffs, there's been a mass exodus of talent, and Etsy is going to be a completely different company in a year's time. I don't want to be there to see it.

So, advice to management: please lose the empty corporate jargon; no one understands it or appreciates it (same goes for the sports references—this is Etsy, we're a bunch of artsy fartsy people, not football players). And if you want everyone to now do the job of three people when morale is this low, be transparent and actually involve them in decision making, not just execution. Share a mission that's not just about money and trying to convince everyone that Etsy is a "typical retail company" (it's not). Trust the talent you have, or they’ll go somewhere they are.

While we’re at it, work out a review system that actually allows people to progress their careers (and don’t just keep saying it’s “coming soon" or that you only promote people twice a year). And if you keep hinting that benefits are going to be reduced, be ready for half the company to leave, because that's the only thing keeping them there. It's not the (non-existing) mission or the non-competitive salaries.

"Went from grassroots startup to corporate tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great parental leave (6 months). There used to be great opportunity for movement and growth.

Cons

Declining company culture. Mass layoffs. Straying from values.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with changes in company policy and goals. Reports won't trust you if you cannot be honest with them.

"Morale approaching rock bottom."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Etsy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great culture.

Cons

Exec team is shockingly ignorant of the company culture, communication has become strictly top-down, management is more opaque than ever, and employees' concerns are met with non-answers.

Advice to Management

New CEO has big shows to fill. Could start by connecting with employees more transparently, and abandoning the sports metaphors and empty business jargon.

6. "Mixed review given change in Management"

I worked at Etsy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people make Etsy, both the employees and the members are golden. A values driven company with some growing pains I hope will be overcome.

Cons

Current growing pains are painful for those affected.

Advice to Management

Lack of transparency leads to distrust and instability which has affected morale and loyalty.

"Real talent covered up by bad creative leadership"

Current Employee - Creative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Creative in New York, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to say you work at Etsy. Most people are really nice.

Cons

What is frustrating about working in Etsy NY is that there are some really talented creative people working in this office, but you would not know it by the creative leadership. Projects like Etsy Studio which was a lot of work end up just blah because your ideas are funneled through higher levels who are more interested in being perceived as hip while really coming off as an alcoholic floozies. This is not an advertising or public relations agency. Stop denying that the rest of your team is the driving force behind anything creative at Etsy. Please, just get out of talent's way and go somewhere else where you can play on social media telling everyone how great your taste in music is. We have work we need to get done and as much as it would suck to quit a job at a name brand, we will find other jobs leaving you and your mediocre ideas exposed for the nothing it is.

Advice to Management

Hire creative leadership that actually has talent so you can be sure the best ideas are getting seen.

"Slow career progression & bad managers"

I worked at Etsy full-time

Pros

Benefits, work life balance, mission, and positive impact on the world

Cons

A lot of bad managers who have no clue how to manage people. People get promoted to or hired for manager positions without regards to their people skills, leading to bad chemistry on many teams. Career progression can be very slow and coupled with below par compensation for many positions, it's hard to build a long term career here. Tooling is falling behind and internal systems are not reliable. Pervasive fear of change and boldness especially due to fear of sellers and an overbearing legal team. Management doesn't listen.

Advice to Management

Consider both hard skills and people skills for evaluating managers. Get more efficient and bolder. Reward hard work and make Etsy an attractive place to work for strong performers.

"Great benefits...that's about it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Etsy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and flexibility to work from home for some teams.

Cons

Very unqualified managers, high school "clicky" environment, company cares about its values more than employees, stale environment, no career progression conversations, no annual reviews...overall WORST career experience of my life. I was so miserable that I left without securing another job first. After all the recent layoffs, morale is very low and it is getting worse by the day.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone and start over. Hire qualified managers who know how to be people managers instead of dictators. The managers are causing the company to tank really fast.

10. "Mission-oriented, Inclusive Work Environment with Individual Growth Potential for All"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time

Pros

Benefits; People; Mission; Location; Business growth; Inclusion; Team sizes; Day-to-day communications; Transparency level

Cons

Everyone is a "go-getter" which is great, but can also make mountains out of mole-hills