Cover image for Etsy

Found 289 of over 373 reviews

4.5
Etsy CEO Josh Silverman
Josh Silverman

What people are saying about Etsy

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Etsy and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Company

Nov 14, 2022 - Self-Employed
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work for yourself

Cons

I have no cons for them.

2. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Manager can make or break your experience at Etsy

Nov 17, 2022 - Group Product Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people Free food (though lots of repeats) and nice office if you're in the Brooklyn area Office is dog friendly Lots of good employee resource groups and activities

Cons

Passive aggressive behavior (back stabbing) A lot of terrible middle managers Meager annual increases and no accounting for inflation Clique of higher ups that came from Amex

3. Join the Etsy team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Excellent company to work for!!!!

Sep 20, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Etsy's culture is very inclusive and the company focuses a lot on their employee's well being. The quarterly stipend for well being and the flexibility to work remotely are just a few of the things that I enjoy about working here. The culture and people are the best! Everyone is supportive and its a very collaborative environment.

Cons

Honestly, I cannot come up with any cons. In comparison to other companies that I have worked for in the past, Etsy truly care's about their employees and that is something that I am passionate about.

5. 5.0

Exceptional Place to Work

Sep 1, 2022 - Sr. Financial Analyst in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Successful company on a great trajectory, does a wonderful thing for the world, warm and welcoming culture, generally flat org that encourages of autonomy and personal growth, good balance of work and life, very competitive compensation and benefits

Cons

Slow promotion cycles because nobody leaves

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Busy but still balanced & rewarding

Feb 14, 2022 - Brand Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- I'm proud of the work I do. I believe that what I develop truly helps people, and that's rewarding. - I'm provided the leeway and confidence to try new things which keeps my job interesting and challenging. - I have consistent support from teammates across the company which helps to ensure my outputs represent cross-departmental goals and beliefs. - I have access to management and trusting relationships with folks numerous "levels" above me. - Although I'm very, very busy, I still have more work-life balance than I've ever experienced before. Even if I'm feeling overwhelmed, I have the confidence that I can comfortably log off work at a reasonable time without judgement from others.

Cons

- Projects often require input from too many people. This can result in deadlines being pushed back too many times, or even the final product becoming diluted as a result of trying to incorporate everyone's preferences. - Niche roles and new markets sometimes don't receive the support needed to operate efficiently, resulting in numerous folks taking on time-consuming projects outside their responsibilities, adding to stress and workload but also slowing down progress on key goals that are their true role responsibilities.

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Chaotic Org and Management but a Great Place to Work with Good People

Feb 18, 2022 - Staff Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Very, very good overall benefits and salary, they've gotten better since I've started - Work is not typically fast paced - Strong DEI initiatives - More accountability and transparency than you usually get in the Tech industry - Many thoughtful and well-intentioned people work at Etsy who care about their coworkers and try hard to keep leadership accountable

Cons

- It's easier to find a new job than to get promoted, if your manager isn't interested or doesn't have time it isn't gonna happen - Reorgs are very common and can feel a little stressful - it is easy for certain teams to go rogue and do their own thing adding a lot of complexity and obstacles to getting stuff done - Bias for experimentation can often leave a wake of unresolved tech debt - EMs and PMs can be very hit or miss in terms of competency and engagement

15 people found this review helpful

Etsy Response

Etsy Management

Thank you for this thorough feedback. We’re glad that our focus on DEI initiatives and inclusive benefits have positively impacted your time with us, and we wholeheartedly agree that our colleagues are truly special. Your comments regarding internal mobility are valuable. We take great care in ensuring that all promotions go through a fair and consistent process, inclusive of cross-departmental collaborations. Because manager involvement will always be a component of promotion cycles, we provide continuous management development through tooling and professional development budgets. We’ll also continue to host sessions led by our HR team during which we walk employees through our performance review process and discuss the steps for ensuring equitable considerations for promotions and pay increases. We encourage you to utilize your HR Business partner for these conversations as well as for discussions in the instances of reorgs. We’re committed to ensuring equity of career progression at Etsy.

8. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Maybe it's just my org

Sep 14, 2022 - Vendor Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Etsy, as a company, takes care of their employees. We have pretty decent medical benefits, PTO, extended leave, sick time, etc. The company's executive team seems to really care about the success of the company and it's employees.

Cons

My org seems to behave in a way that isn't Etsy-aligned, so there aren't may cons to Etsy as a whole — just seems like the executive team's vision is felt across all of the company.

4 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Adding to the choir: Pretty awesome place to work!

Jul 12, 2022 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful mission driven work to Keep Commerce Human! The people who work here are wonderful, smart, and motivated to make Etsy the best destination for people to find unique, one-of-a-kind goods. Great benefits too and I really feel seen as a whole human being at work.

Cons

So many meetings! If you hate meetings, Etsy is not the place for you. The culture is extremely collaborative (a pro!) but to a fault (a con). As I also understand it, compensation is not the most competitive and it could be a lot better. We also don't get to cash out vacation days when we leave which is a bit of a bummer (unless your state mandates it).

10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Thoughtful intentions, duplicitous actions.

Aug 5, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, though nowhere near as good as other tech/commerce companies. Mental health days. Thoughtful, empathetic culture (to a point). Fun office. Good people.

Cons

Far too much first-time, ineffective middle management, stalling out decisions in endless cycles of approval and causing toxic stress where there shouldn't be. Ineffective managers do not trust subject matter experts. Performance review feedback given is often not actioned, meaning potentially toxic situations do not improve. Internal promotions are hard to come by. Company spends money in mind-bogglingly frivolous ways but then has layoffs without cutting leadership salaries or allowing employees to find another internal role. Constant restructuring is woefully misguided, cutting important roles and basic services that any company should have. Work/life balance became worse over the years. Work often felt meaningless and isolating due to constantly changing priorities.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A fulfilling and thoughtful place to work

Sep 1, 2022 - Product Design Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Positive culture, managers who care, autonomy, flexibility, competitive salaries, great resources, thoughtful decisions, fun environment, talented coworkers. It is the best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Like any tech organization, it can sometimes be hard to implement changes to existing processes.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 289 Reviews
</>Embed

Etsy Reviews FAQs

Etsy has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5, based on over 373 reviews left anonymously by employees. 93% of employees would recommend working at Etsy to a friend and 82% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Etsy employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Etsy. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

93% of Etsy employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Etsy 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.6 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Etsy to be benefits, coworkers, culture and the cons to be senior leadership, career development, management.

Popular Careers with Etsy Job Seekers