Eurasia Group Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert J. Johnston

1. "Sales"

I have been working at Eurasia Group full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, nice offices, also there are snacks!

Cons

Long hours, there is a fair amount of upper management pressure

"Junior research staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Eurasia Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic access to top multinational company c-suite as well as portfolio managers, junior members given lots of responsibility and client time, working with top intellectuals in a highly stimulating and challenging environment, with flexibility to gain additional responsibilities and expand the role. Good work-life balance overall

Cons

Esoteric management at times, and decisions made at the top seem inconsistent. Compensation for junior staff is low compared to other consulting companies but higher than think tanks. overall a great company to start your career.

Advice to Management

Hire a business consultant or get more outside advice on how to organize the company and streamline procedures.

"Good but could be better"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Eurasia Group (More than a year)

Pros

Professional and growing political risk firm. Analysts are highly qualified and people have significant responsibilities even at junior levels. Constant direct engagement with clients

Cons

Low salaries and slow growth.

Advice to Management

Improve salairs

"mixed bag"

Pros

very bright group of young analysts who know their regions well

Cons

poor overall management created a chaotic work environment; little opportunity for advancement; poor compensation and benefits package

"Great place for analysts"

I have been working at Eurasia Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Brilliant people who are passionate about their work and true experts in their countries and regions
    -Impressive client base
    -Every day is an opportunity to learn something new
    -Relatively flat corporate culture
    -Promising ideas for the future
    -Generous perks

Cons

-Priorities for the business and research sides can clash
    -Path for advancement not always clear
    -Need more support for professional development
    -Need more structure in how people and work are managed

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees, but also actively reach out to them. Solicit ideas on where people see problems and how they'd like to solve them, and keep them in the loop as much as possible. There have been concrete improvements, but frustration is still there from veteran employees.

"Substantial opportunities for junior staff; bright coworkers; supportive environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Eurasia Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love working here because the day-to-day is really enjoyable, and the long-term outlook is also positive. I have:
    - smart colleagues who are really passionate about what they do (love talking strategy, theory, and numbers) and very fun to be around
    - interesting work that is always changing - if you like roller coasters, this is a good ride
    - EG is industry leader in political risk and is working wisely to expand into new areas of expertise
    - flexible work policy (can work out of London and NYC offices) and generous vacation policy leaves you feeling refreshed and motivated
    - friendly, relaxed, and collaborative office environment without ulterior motives unlike other places in DC

Cons

- Research and bd sometimes have different client-related goals and are not on the same page

Advice to Management

Keep being open with staff, but improve communication between senior management so that different messages are not passed down. Work on cohesion and shared goals between research and bd.

"Culture and management stuck in last century's attitudes and practices"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Eurasia Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous vacation, not a super stressful environment (depends who you work with though), and a nice-looking office. For most people, the hours are not anywhere near what they are for other consulting firms. Colleagues are some of the brightest minds in the field, and in general, people are pleasant to work with. I've made some friends. The firm is good at attracting smart, solid, good people. It's great to be in a place where current world affairs are discussed every day, you'll learn lots of cool knowledge to impress people at parties with.

Cons

The leadership is unfortunately stuck in the last century. They operate from a mind-frame that feels very much like a one-way street and feels like this: "We pay you, you do what we need you to, and we don't really care about you as a person or whether you are happy here." It's clear that they know that plenty of people want to work there, and the unspoken message is that most of us are dispensable. Not once have I had a single person (either my boss or HR person) ask me what my career goals are. In their defense, it is not their fault, it is simply the culture and they are just living out the attitude of the leadership, which is very 1950.
    Thus, the mood at work is rather somber and serious. Not an enjoyable environment. Most people don't really seem happy to be there. Oh, and big turnover. For these and other reasons.

Advice to Management

-Start paying attention to the shifts in employee-employer relations worldwide. The market has changed! Nowadays, solid employees with great results can go work at companies where they do feel like someone cares about their career trajectory, where they feel like they are in a partnership with their employer.
    - Put people in leadership positions not just for their skill, but for their ability to manage other people effectively and humanly.
    - Do a full assessment of your talent in-house. You have so many intelligent people, and you know nothing about them and what they could do for the company! Do not leave all that talent on the table. Go out and get to know them, and have them use all that intelligence and skill.

"Meh"

Pros

The analysts were, by and large, a smart and perfectly pleasant group of people to work with. You tend to absorb an in depth understanding of international politics via osmosis. Four weeks of vacation is a nice benefit and certainly above average in this country.

Cons

Management seemed obsessed with titles rather than one's actual ability and willingness to contribute. In spite of a lot of blather about anyone being able to take on any role if they showed the initiative, management did provide any opportunities for advancement to many obviously talented people. Management also appeared to have a lack of respect for anyone who was not an analyst or in business development, even though countless folks worked very hard to make the analysts look good.

Advice to Management

The rot starts at the head.

"An imperfect, but nonetheless great place to work."

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Eurasia Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

EG is a great place to work. As someone who has been here for years, and has seen the company have its ups and downs—I also experienced my ups and downs here— the company is on a better, more credible, sustainable path than it’s ever been. The new management team is much improved. Business development has a more targeted, coordinated strategy. Indeed, while some good people have left the firm, the vast majority of recent departures represent a positive development.

Unchanged is the research platform’s strength. EG remains the gold standard political risk analysis firm. The most talented, knowledgeable, creative political analysts work at EG or aspire to.

Given these dynamics, Eurasia Group may not be a “soaring eagle,” but it is certainly not a “sinking ship.” It’s a smart, innovative company with mostly good people, and a company that is on a strong, positive trajectory.

Cons

Anonymity’s upside is that it permits people to post reviews unencumbered by fear of retaliation. The downside is that offers an open forum for breathless hyperbole. I wrote this review partly in response to some of the hyperbolic nonsense recently posted.

Eurasia Group is not perfect. It never will be. It, like any other company, will remain flawed. Management will make mistakes. Sometimes some employees will be unhappy. A small number of employees will always be unhappy. However, this select always unhappy few would be unhappy people irrespective of their employer.

Advice to Management

The more employees are empowered, the more performance and hard work is rewarded-- rather than connections to senior people-- and the more transparency there is, the better.

"I wish I had paid attention to the reviews and what people in industry were saying"

I have been working at Eurasia Group full-time

Pros

Difficult to say given how toxic the environment is. The original concept for political risk advisory was great at the time it emerged. But now, with the EG brand sinking and industry knowing they can do a lot of this in-house, all I can say is EG just serves as a great research publication to clients and that's it.

Cons

Eurasia Group is a sinking ship and it is going fast. We had 49 people leave the company in 2013. 49. Out of a total of 100-110 employees. If you catch any analyst conversation in the kitchen, everyone is looking for their next move. Yes, the intellectual experience is fun (unless you're not a favorite with "management", then you are just another researcher) and the clients are great (but even they are leaving and revenue is falling). But the environment is beyond toxic and the apathy of my colleagues is intense. I have had a few different markets clients say that Ian has lost touch with reality and gotten too big for his britches. We had an all-hands meeting last summer to hear him say he wanted to build a company that was transparent and open to ideas, but the minute someone asked him a question about the company's failings, he shot them down. Our BD team supporting corporate clients has all left: in the last 18-24 months, 8 of the 9 original people have resigned--3 of them simply quit before even having their next role lined up. Ian attributes moves like these not to something wrong with the culture, but to "we've been asking them to go for a while." Sure.

I waived off the negative reviews here before joining, but now I can confirm they are honest and accurate. Plus you will notice the 2 good reviews (which were a stark jump from average 2-3 score to a 5 score) both were submitted at the same time. Odd. And we don't have any employees based outside the US or UK, so the UAE submission doesn't align either. I'm just looking for an offer so I can make a move myself. Save yourself the time and heartache.