Euromoney Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrew Rashbass

Pros
Cons
  • Senior management has a 'take it or leave it' attitude to complaints (in 14 reviews)

• Which is why there's a high turnover (in 8 reviews)

"sale executive"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

Pros

if you like to travel, this company offer a lot of travels all around the globe

Cons

hard working environment.a , a lot of overtime. no fun in the office

Advice to Management

no advise

"Survival of the fattest"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Nice offices (unless they stick you in the basement). Some great people, some of who are actually competent. Work/life balance is good. Tend to go with a sink or swim approach, so if you're talented you can actually succeed.

Cons

Salaries are low across the board, but especially in technology. Senior management has a 'take it or leave it' attitude to complaints. 'That's just the way it is here' is the answer to any difficult question. The way the place is organised as a 'federation of small businesses' means there's little to no central planning or common effort, except for keeping budgets under rigid control. Great for entrepreneurial businesses, bad for central functions like IT.

Advice to Management

Pay people market rates. Otherwise they'll all leave, and there isn't an endless supply of naive graduates. Get the directors under control. Decide what you want to be - a holding company or a coordinated business group - and organise yourselves accordingly. You can't be both.

"Great potential but too much dead wood"

Former Employee - Product Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Euromoney full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I probably stuck around for longer than I should have because the travel perks were so generous.

Fairly good location just off Fleet Street.

Euromoney have some great products that are suffering from chronic underinvestment by kleptocratic management. Lots of potential if they can sort it out.

Cons

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king… Or so I thought. In truth, being even slightly above average intelligence in Euromoney is a hindrance.

If you thought the collapse of the graduate job market over the past decade meant that Euromoney had picked up a handful of decent graduates on the cheap then you'd be wrong. Don’t be fooled by their inflated vanity job titles giving the impression of capability beyond their true worth.

It’s hard to know where to begin to untangle the problems Euromoney has with recruitment. For a start, they pay below industry average meaning anyone with an ounce of dignity won’t give it a second glance. Senior management know they can’t hire decent people on poor salaries but never seemed to make the connection between their own unjustifiably high salaries and the poor remuneration new recruits were offered. Second, Euromoney has a preferred list of recruiters who just send anyone they can find for an interview (the old ‘if you throw enough mud at the ceiling some of it will stick’ gag). Third, senior management are feckless when it comes to hiring and tend to leave it until after someone has left to even think about writing a job specification. This inevitably leads to a rush and the first person who walks through the door gets the job.

Relationships between the business and technology are appalling because it costs an arm and a leg to get any work done and you constantly get pushback. Personnel are hardly to blame given the crazy internal market rules around procurement mean the company carries the worst excesses of a former Soviet planned economy.

Senior management stick around for years knowing they won’t find a similar gig elsewhere paying crazy money while providing little discernible value. They also like to play the Charlie Big Banana routine but when it comes to actually making a decision they’re unwilling to grasp the nettle.

Advice to Management

The new CEO seems genuinely switched on and seems willing to put his balls on the line by making difficult choices. Needless to say, he represents a vast improvement on Christopher Fordham who should have been put out to pasture decades ago.

Let businesses make independent decisions and source work externally to get the best price and service.

Get rid of the silly presenteeism culture - it's fooling no-one.

Be more proactive around recruitment. If you want a good hire you need to spend time and effort finding them. Please for the love of god stop employing rubbish.

You need to be constantly thinking about what can be done better rather than sitting back and watching the money roll in.

4. "Relaxed and social"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Fruit bowl on Tuesdays, freshly ground coffee machine providing free coffee, travel opportunities

Cons

Can't mention anything yet, I like it there

"The concept of good management does not exist here"

Former Employee - Reporter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Reporter in London, England (UK)

Pros

- Opportunities to move to Asia or New York would come up quite regularly for those interested
    - There is some training for new journalists (the quality of the training is patchy though)

Cons

- Total disregard for good management of the editorial staff.
    - The compensation for starting journalists is ridiculously low for a London-based company (£18,000). Lower than their competitors.
    - Business model seems to be built on taking a chance of young, naive recent graduates and underpaying them until they leave. Pretty high turnover of staff.

Advice to Management

Where to begin. The most hierarchical organisation I've ever come across. Decisions that affect staff taken without proper communication to staff (e.g. two publications were merged when I was there, with journalists knowing nothing about it and no procedures in place to foster collaboration with new staff members). Senior management basically milking the rest of the company for all it's worth.

"Must -and can - do better"

Former Employee - Editor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Editor in London, England (UK)

Pros

When you have a good manager, it is great. It's split up enough that you can have some autonomy and travel and be in charge of your own publication and run with new projects and be listened to. You can manage your team in a positive way and decide things like bonuses and feed information back.
    Lots of travel.

Cons

But this is rare! I have worked under several managers (DMs) in the same role and the difference is stark (and appalling). There are so many high-level egos. And they don't all care about the team or their views, or in fact, creating a culture of open communication.
    Information is witheld from editorial (viewing figures/new launches) and meetings are carried out in secret creating an atmosphere of intense paranoia.
     A one-size-fits-all model is lauded, despite the different readerships (and those working on these niche publications with insights into the customer base are ignored).
    Recruitment is flawed as candidates are hired by top level staff, rather than having some input from news editors etc as to where coverage or skills are needed.
    Travel is cut, or decisions made on a basis of where senior figures want to go, rather than market opportunity - incredibly frustrating!
    It's sad, because I have seen the stark differences in management style and so know this is fixable.

Advice to Management

Listen to your teams. Promote cross team communication with editorial, marketing and sales knowing where they are at. Share feedback. Reward staff if they've just pulled something amazing off - it doesn't have to be monetary, but just make them feel appreciated! Check DM egos and speak to those in the teams.

"Great opportunity to travel!"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Euromoney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to travel the world as well as working with some of the industry's brightest individuals.
    Great autonomy in the role.

Cons

Watch out! some of the events are on the decline which means you probably won't make much commission and will be put under severe pressure to be a miracle worker! And although they have some very intelligent people working for them it's amazing how they can make some really "stupid" decisions on the direction of events! It will amaze you and frustrate you.

They have an extremely arrogant culture led by general managers who think they know it all. Some think they can manage a sales team, having never worked in sales!

Be prepared to be the scapegoat for everything wrong with the business or the event! Very much an "If all fails blame sales" culture. Which is why there's a high turnover....

Advice to Management

Stop trying to run too many events and know when to "kill a dying" event rather than shifting the blame to the sales team

"The company with no soul"

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

Pros

Management seem to be neither ageist or sexist but the company is not very ethnically diverse.

Cons

Very boring.Very antiseptic. No character.

Advice to Management

We'd like to know who you are.

"Learning a lot, but it is not a fulfilling place to work."

Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

Pros

* It's a very fast-paced environment so I constantly have things to do.
    * There is no micro-managing and I feel I am given a lot of responsibility. I'm left to my own devices and can make my own decisions.
    * Most of the people I work with are great - I have made some really good friends here.
    * In the time that I have been here, I really have learnt so much.

Cons

* The senior management team within my division are stuck in their own ways and unapproachable. Any issue I have had has been ignored, with little care given.
    * Despite having lots of responsibility (which is great), my pay does not reflect this. I am very much underpaid for what I do.
    * The marketing systems we use are really old and constantly crashing.
    * The bonus scheme isn't great - we really aren't rewarded for the hard work that we put it..
    * There is a lack of appreciation across the company - rarely any social events, hardly ever any 'thank you's' for your hard work, no money spent on us, etc.
    * Company culture is very important to me and unfortunately I don't think Euromoney has this. Overall I've learnt a lot, but I've been here about a year and a half now and I'm already ready to leave.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your staff more and the work that they do. A little bit of time and money spent on your staff will boost moral and make everyone want to work harder, and stay at the company for longer.

10. "Good place"

Current Employee - Head of Technology in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Head of Technology in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Euromoney full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Enough space to make the role yours
    If you excel you will be promoted
    Good culture
    Open door policy
    Open to change

Cons

We have bean to cup coffee machines; but the beans could be better (but the hot chocolate is very good)