Eva Carlston Academy   Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 24, 2019

4.7
Kristi Ragsdale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I have loved working at Eva Carlston!"

Current Employee - Milieu Manager
    Current Employee - Milieu Manager

I have been working at Eva Carlston Academy   full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love how structured this company is. We hold regular meetings and trainings so that staff all across the board can be on the same page. Rules and policies might seem rigid at first but then you gain an understanding of the population we work with who we are responsible to keep safe and healthy. We are extremely organized which allows our staff to strategically manage chaos. There are opportunities to move up in the company and professional growth! The teaching family model WORKS and helps change the lives of our clients. Girls come into the program lost and unable to function in society. By the time they leave they are empowered confident young women who have a brighter future! It is so fulfilling to be apart of this process. You get to help change lives!

Cons

Scheduling can be random so you don't know what your schedule will be week to week. If you want time off you will need to know 1 month in advance to submit time off requests which can some times be difficult. On the flip side, switching around shifts to your advantage is really easy!

2. "Stay away unless you are very desperate"

Former Employee - Family Teacher in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Family Teacher in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Eva Carlston Academy   full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clients and maybe Health coverage

Cons

parking, communication, hostile work environment

Advice to Management

trust your employees,stop micromanaging. Better employee appreciation and care. Retention is cheaper and more beneficial that constantly hiring and training new staff.

3. "Great company to be a part of for everyone involved."

Current Employee - Teacher in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Teacher in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Eva Carlston Academy   (More than 5 years)

Pros

Eva Carlston Academy provides a comprehensive structured classroom environment, while concurrently supporting areas of development for the student's individual needs. Collaboration between teaching staff, therapists and directors is consistent and responsive. Continuing education for our teachers and our student behavioral model increases the scholastic success of our students.

Cons

Eva Carlston Academy is year round school schedule.

4. "Amazing Program"

I have been working at Eva Carlston Academy   full-time

Pros

- Matching 401K.
    - Health Insurance that includes vision & dental.
    - PTO.
    - Holiday Pay.
    - Coworkers are honest and extremely helpful.
    - Directors are full of integrity.

Cons

- Parking.
    - Scheduling the use of company vehicles.

"Professional and Caring Setting"

I have been working at Eva Carlston Academy   full-time

Pros

Eva Carlston has been a wonderful company to work for! I didn't think this would turn into my full time job, but here I am years later. The team is supportive and genuinely puts the success of these girls first. Eva Carlston has offered me a sense of fulfillment I don't think I could have found in any other RTC environment.

Cons

Of course every work environment comes with its daily stressors but I have little to none to report as far as a downside to this company!

"Best of Both Worlds"

Current Employee - Special Education in Layton, UT
    Current Employee - Special Education in Layton, UT

I have been working at Eva Carlston Academy   full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Eva Carlston has nailed it with supporting teachers and students in the classroom. This has been one of the best teaching environments, and teaching opportunities I have experienced. The whole student experience is addressed in a phenomenal way, and the resources to support them in the classroom are at my fingertips, and when I ask. I love knowing and working with others who are supportive, and from the top down, put the needs of the student first, to address the whole person. As a teacher I feel listened to and respected in my area of expertise. I am valued and validated for what I can bring to the program. I have finally found a way to balance work and home without having to work long hours and take work home , on breaks, holidays, and over the summer. My job has brought clarity to my career choice, in addition to other areas of my life. I am finally able to have balance at work and at home.

Cons

Year round school schedule, but are offset with paid time off and excellent benefits for employees

"Loved My Job!"

Former Employee - Shift Lead in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Shift Lead in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Eva Carlston Academy   full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Seeing the clients progress was the most gratifying part of my job. Having a schedule to stick to. Being able to provide some normalcy with going out once a week to do an activity (which they have a budget for). Having a homey feel to each location. Being able to talk to management and feeling supported. With that management having your back with reasonable decisions being made. Management asking for your thoughts with dealing with situations. If the there was an issue with the schedule management would do their best to fix it. Having house meetings so we could just focus on one location at a time. As well as meetings covering different topics relating to the clients to help have a better grasp on how to care for the clients. Having work parties so you can get to know your coworkers better. Being able to advance!

Cons

Sometimes the schedules were a little overwhelming. Naturally different people have different personalities and different priorities so there was a lack in consistency. Finding people to cover a shift when there are only so many shift leads was hard especially when sick.

Advice to Management

Continue to have meetings and promote consistency. Having someone that can be a back up shift lead when someone is sick.

"A company that cares!"

Current Employee - Administrative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Administrative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Eva Carlston Academy   full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Eva Carlston for over seven years. It is a company that truly cares about it's clients and employees. Great benefits including 401k, life insurance, vision and dental and pays 100% of the employees health care premium. Even has a funding available for tuition reimbursement for those who care to advance their education.

Creative and qualified team members work towards providing the best treatment for adolescents and families. Opportunities for professional development at all levels of employment. Eva Carlston provides inservice training and funding for employees that require continuing professional development.

Eva Carlston is not a company owned by a larger company. It is a privately owned company that means management is available to support employees “in-the-trenches” when dealing with the complexities of residential treatment. Problem solving and team work are encouraged and appreciated. If you want to make a difference in the lives of teens this is the place to work!

Cons

If you want to be mediocre, this is not the place for you. Employees aspire to grow and expand their professions do well here.

Advice to Management

Eva Carlston needs to toot it's horn more often! An incredible program and professionals!

"Not your average corporate working environment"

I have been working at Eva Carlston Academy   full-time

Pros

Because the campuses are in homes in residential neighborhoods, there is a warmer, non corporate world feel to the work environment. No cubicles here. Management does not micro-manage and are open to ideas towards effectiveness and efficiency.

Cons

Also because the campuses are in residential homes, there are parking limitations. Ride share to and from park 'n ride lots and to/from campuses can take time and coordination.

"Academic"

Current Employee - Academic Teacher in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Academic Teacher in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Eva Carlston Academy   part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Academic freedom from state testing, state mandates, etc. Diverse group of students from all over the country. Freedom to teach within AdvancedEd (accreditation group) standards. Students each have a Chromebook. Curriculum can be modified, intensified, etc. to each student. Good group of educators who are supportive and helpful to one another. Small class sizes! No more than 10 students per class. Schedule is 9-5 with 2.5 hours break in between morning and afternoon classes for lunch, prep time, etc.

Cons

Moving between four residential homes, all within a couple miles of each other, is tricky logistically at times. Parking is scarce. Because students are in treatment, you will need to be trained in the Family Teaching Model and incorporate that into your teaching.