Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Reviews

Updated Jun 12, 2020

3.2
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Presiding Bishop Mark S. Hanson (no image)
Mark S. Hanson
  1. "Electrical Technician"

Current Employee - Electrical Technician in America, IL

I have been working at Evangelical Lutheran Church in America part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I call the call for evangelism in the evangelical Lutheran church in America. I am a good Christian and have served in the church from 2013 from the sound of gospel radio to the church headquarters of the Lutheran investment company ltd.

Cons

To serve God in spirit and truth, continue to carry out electrical work within the church

Continue reading
  2. "The leadership is rather corrupt"

Former Employee - Pastor

I worked at Evangelical Lutheran Church in America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have no problem making under the table deals so if on of those benefit you, it will greatly help you out.

Cons

Basically everything about the organization

"Don't walk the talk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Evangelical Lutheran Church in America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some really great people among the staff.

Cons

Turn a blind eye to bad behavior by managers and directors. Low pay, benefits are so-so, and very little job security. Culture of fear.

Continue reading
  4. "Great organization with great benefits"

5.0

I have been working at Evangelical Lutheran Church in America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They try to be very fair in treating all their employees. Great benefits and values

Cons

Like most non-profits, sometimes they have challenges in defining na d sticking to clear strategy

5. "great benefits"

4.0
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Evangelical Lutheran Church in America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-mission-minded people, fantastic benefits package

Cons

- sometimes the hierarchy gets overwhelming, but they are trying to be more "networked"

"Very good benefits, strained environment"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Evangelical Lutheran Church in America full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits generally despite very little professional development.

Cons

Shrinking budgets and staff, but little to no downsizing of programs. Almost everyone salaried and overworked. A lot of internal hostility. Some (not all) middle management blame downward, are unqualified and unaccountable. Frequent minor reorganizing and layoffs instead of training or making big decisions. Little investment in staff development.

7. "Pastor/Minister/Ordained Reverend"

Former Employee - Minister in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Evangelical Lutheran Church in America full-time for more than a year

Pros

In the process of achieving ordination through the ELCA process and education I was able to have certain parts of my process paid for by my synod. Depending on my professors at Seminary I was given some good professional training toward the ministry. What I mean by this is that depending on who was my teacher I learned what I didn't know and where I needed to go to learn my professional skills.

Cons

Lucifieran. Cultic. Corrupt hierarchy and leadership. Emphasis on sucking the life and marrow out of faith and God's people. Turning away from God toward satan. I also never received a raise while in the ELCA and I make more money in my current ministry than I ever would have made in the ELCA.

Continue reading

"It's an okay place to work, not terrible, but not the greatest, depending on what you do."

I worked at Evangelical Lutheran Church in America full-time

Pros

The health and retirement benefits are great. The staff is pretty friendly and welcoming.

Cons

The pay is not competitive. The management styles vary from department to department and it is very top down.

"global mission work"

2.0
    Former Employee - Global Mission Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

super interesting work and get to meet lots of dedicated international church leaders

Cons

home office is 100% disinterested in actual work on the field, only interested in whether you fill out reports correctly. age discrimination and no room for advancement. preference for young (cheap) labor and disinterest in experience or suggestions.

10. "Great job"

Current Employee - Program Director in Washington, DC

Pros

Great benefits and ethical environment

Cons

Career in this field can "type-cast" you when applying for other jobs.

Found 33 reviews