Eventbrite Business Development Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Eventbrite Co-Founder & CEO Julia Hartz
Julia Hartz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "growth of the team - sometimes the processes can take awhile to catch up and you need to have a flexible attitude to deal with some growing pains" (in 13 reviews)

• "I've found the work/life balance to be great (and that balance is VERY encouraged), but this is not a place for people who just want punch the clock" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Business Development Manager"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many pro's about working at Eventbrite:
    -autonomy and empowered to make our own decisions
    - great culture in Melbourne with many perks (lunches, dog friendly office, team outings)
    - flexible working arrangement
    - fast growing team with many opportunities
    - market with a huge amount of opportunity with a platform which is the clear leader in the market

Cons

Very few con's to note:
    - growth of the team - sometimes the processes can take awhile to catch up and you need to have a flexible attitude to deal with some growing pains

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! As the company grows, let's try to maintain the existing culture and keep empowering your staff as you do currently, very refreshing!

2. "Business Development Manager"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Tech Culture
    - Employment benefits
    - Travel options
    - Autonomy within the role
    - Support within the role
    - Friendliness of office
    - Little or no division between departments
    - Financial compensation
    - Communication lines between management/colleagues really professional, and always open

Cons

-Still struggling to find any.
    - Snacks section seems to play a negative effect on the waistline.

Advice to Management

NA

Eventbrite Response

May 24, 2018

It's wonderful to read that the communication is working well and that you feel a bond with your local team. We strive to create a consistent experience around the world. Melbourne is certainly a... More

"Past it's best"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Eventbrite employs some incredibly talented people who work very hard & (used to) have a lot of fun doing it. I have seen more brand / employee loyalty and emotion attached to this place than anywhere I've worked - to me this is a sign of truly great culture. When times were good they were really good, but when they were bad.... (I'll get to this later)
    You get free lunch!

Cons

Eventbrite masquerades as a "startup" when really they have been running for 11 years but still haven't sorted out some very basic business processes (like employing local HR, ensuring people get paid the right salary/commission, actually reaching profitability etc etc). Although Eventbrite celebrates & boasts of it's "startup culture" it no longer exists. In reality management want everyone to behave like they are in a big, musty old corporate machine with no diversity, no freedom / trust / autonomy, a very slow pace of change, an extremely hierarchical structure and a general "do as I say not as I do" attitude. This is a shame and a waste of the talent & loyalty of the staff that built and stuck with it over the last crucial 3-5 years or so. It's no wonder the last 12 months have seen a mass exodus of key staff members from all departments in every country Eventbrite operates.
    This is a business that's lost it's direction and lost it's soul.

Advice to Management

Trust and listen to your staff. You hired them, now give them the autonomy to do their jobs without micromanagement.
    Take international teams more seriously. Take the time to understand them and think of them first, not last, if global expansion is truly your goal.
    Care more for your employees, don't make them feel dispensable (even if you think they are it will cost you more to have to keep hiring & training new people than make the people you have feel valued).
    Value diversity - cookie-cutter teams have a short shelf life and won't learn & grow from each other.
    Give people clear paths & opportunity for progression - don't promise promotions every quarter that will never arrive

Eventbrite Response

Feb 27, 2017 – General Manager UK/Ire

Thanks for your feedback, I'd like to respond here but also invite you to come chat with me to continue the discussion.

Our business has evolved, especially in the UK. With the growth in the... More