Eventbrite Engineering Reviews

1. 5.0

Awesome Company

Nov 5, 2020 - Senior Mobile Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The people are great! Super nice, diverse, supportive, and interesting. - Take the time you need vacation policy is great - pay is good - remote work is accepted - good company culture, these are good people doing good things - still getting the work done. - good balance between big corporate environment vs small startup

Cons

none so far. i'm only a month into the job

2. 3.0

Good Place to Work

May 14, 2020 - Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great benefits (unlimited vacation, free lunch, commuter benefits, etc.). Lots of opportunity to do work that impacts the whole company. Strong culture of experimentation, learning from the past, and continuous improvement.

Cons

Top level leadership has shown a willingness to experiment, admit when they're wrong, and change direction... unfortunately they seem to make a lot of wrong guesses and not many right ones.

Many thanks for this constructive feedback - DH

3. 1.0

Not for top talent

Apr 6, 2020 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Office location, pet-friendly, decent enough snacks

Cons

- Leadership: no transparency, a lot of fakeness as our stock tanked - Low comp compared to rest of tech - Worthless stock - Subpar talent, or good talent undervalued - Cost cutting measured included no dinner or decreased breakfasts - Poor office layout inside -- very crowded, never enough meetings, only ONE single-stall/gender neutral bathroom that has a shower in it - Rookie engineering managers with no experience (either engineers with no social skills or EMs with no technical skills or never coded at Eventbrite)

8 people found this review helpful

Eventbrite Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback, despite the circumstances. You were with us at a very interesting time and I wanted to thank you for all you did to help build EB during an often turbulent period. Wishing you well on your next chapter - DH

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best place I have ever worked

Mar 8, 2019 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- We have a great educational culture. For me, the most important thing I was looking for was investment in my engineering education, and that's happened on both a team/manager level and department wide. We have many internal educational programs (lectures, workshops, funding for conferences and educational materials, mentorship program, access to Udemy courses, etc), and my managers have been fully supportive of helping me transition to fullstack engineer. I mean, I am working right now with one of the founders on Django on an educational project. That's so awesome in and of itself. - We have a great engineering culture. We have a healthy culture of feedback and discussion - I feel like we are always discussing the best way to accomplish things, and people are really passionate about finding the right way forward that's the best for everyone. - I really believe in the product and mission. Our goals are to help create live experiences as well as support our event creators, which is something I can definitely get behind, having been an event planner in a previous life. - I get to bring my whole self to work, and get to do all the things I'm interested in. I'm not only interested in coding - I also love education and diversity initiatives, and have been allowed work time to accomplish things like an internal mentorship program and bringing diverse groups into our space. - We have a great culture overall. Management is celebratory of the work we do, without being too over the top and flashy (unlike some other companies in the area). We have lots of great internal events as well. Also, I really feel like management cares about both the employees and customers. Management is constantly asking for feedback and acting upon it. - I have lots of opportunity for growth and promotion, and options available to pursue the career path I want - either continuing to be an individual contributor or go into management. I've also had multiple directors across different departments take interest in my career growth and offer their help. - I feel like I'm being paid very fairly and there are great benefits. Good medical, and lots of really nice perks around the office - smoothie bar, in house massages/chiro, lunch is provided, snacks, commuting benefits, wellness stipend, etc. - I am really listened to by my manager and upper management. I was rather unhappy on a project due to extenuating circumstances, and was switched to a different project that was more in line with what I want to accomplish. All of which I feel very grateful for. - Good work-life balance. Sometimes there's a project deadline and people have to work really hard to get stuff out of the door, but in general managers are really respectful of work life balance. We also have a really good culture of being flexible with time off and working remote. - I get to build cool stuff, working for our R&D department. - The interview process was one of the best I've ever been through. They were willing to meet me where I was at (being a junior engineer), and my first phone screen was with a director, not a recruiter. That really left a lasting impression on me. - Lastly, the people. I LOVE the people I get to work with - they are so incredibly knowledgeable, kind, and supportive. Also, just really freaking cool. Everyone has something that they are passionate about, both inside and outside of work. I have met so many amazing and inspiring people at work, and genuinely feel like I have made friends. This is probably one of the biggest factors of what's going to keep me around for a long time. All in all, I can't recommend Eventbrite enough. I love it here, plain and simple.

Cons

The internal development environment has been really difficult to work with in the past - lots of lost time and productivity. We don't have an official QA department. That sometimes is a bit concerning. Sometimes our internal culture isn't as cohesive as I would like - both SF wide and engineering as well. I do feel connected to other offices, as we have had opportunity to visit and work with each other which I feel grateful for. But I thankfully have friends across all the departments, which makes it feel a lot smaller.

7 people found this review helpful

Thank you for this feedback! Very helpful. - David

5. 4.0

Are We Really Happy?

Oct 29, 2018 - Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

* The management has really improved over the last year. I think Eventbrite actually tries hard to make sure employees are happy, but there is something missing and hence a handful of good people already left. * Great work-life balance. * Some of the smartest and kindest people. There is a few people who are not that good but there is few of them. * Free lunches * Work across the world as there is more acquisitions if you are lucky * Unlike salary, benefits are pretty good

Cons

* Pay quite below the average for engineers * If you are one of the hire up favorites, your concerns are more likely to be addressed. Same goes in engineering. Not much gets done unless you are one of the people who is "respected". It's a bit biased to be honest. * As someone already mentioned, behind that good exterior there is hidden lies and lack of enthusiasm.

4 people found this review helpful

Eventbrite Response

It's disappointing to hear your experience at Eventbrite but I do appreciate you sharing your candid feedback. Should you have more detail you'd like to share directly with me, you know how to find me! Thanks - Julia Hartz, CEO

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great coworkers, great culture, and interesting challenges - what more could you ask for?

Mar 10, 2019 - Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great career opportunities here - lots of intracompany mobility. There are a lot of really tenured engineers at Eventbrite because people like the work culture, their coworkers, and with all of the opportunities within the company there's always an interesting next project.

Cons

Dev environment and release process need improvements. There's still a lot of work to be done to break out of the monolithic codebase.

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A tech company with heart.

Feb 27, 2019 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Executives truly care about their employees and speak authentically to us * Nice selection of benefits * Excellent team and culture * Work life balance is real * Career mobility is real * Our business is unusually tangible: tickets and live experience which lead to feeling a good sense of accomplishment from the work we do

Cons

* Like most tech companies, or any companies, YMMV depending on team/manager.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 5.0

Taken Care Of

Jan 8, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been amazed at how much Eventbrite invests in me not only as an employee, but also as a person. I'm encouraged to be my best self, to spend time with my family, and also just have fun. There is a clear trajectory for me as an engineer, and a fantastic amount of transparency from our leadership.

Cons

Grant it, I've only been here since June of 2018, but I'd be hard pressed to come up with any cons at this point. :)

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Lots of room to grow, excellent leadership

May 4, 2016 - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

This company has had a lot of thought and energy invested into making it a place people want to work. The leadership team is intentionally and remarkably transparent. For example, we have a weekly open Q&A session with the CEO, in which surprisingly pointed and difficult questions are asked by employees and answered with grace and intelligence. Every part of the company seems populated by competent, motivated, and intelligent people. On the engineering side, I've had the privilege to work with colleagues I respect and admire. Feedback is part of the development cycle, and these same people are generally willing to jump in and take a look at work to suggest improvements, best practices, and architecture. Things get improved constantly because developers have the motivation and leeway to make changes when they see a problem. An astoundingly good daily lunch, snacks, lots of office events that are actually fun, and a great healthcare plan are some notable perks.

Cons

The original application was created in the mid aughts, and like many companies that have been around for a while, there are ugly parts of the codebase. We use a small number of in-house tools which have dominant open source alternatives. Mastering these tools has taught some valuable core concepts, but ultimately knowing how to use them will not be a transferable skill.

14 people found this review helpful

VP, People

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're excited to keep going and tackling the technical debt. I'd love to catch up more next time I'm in Nashville! -Dana Kilian VP People

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent culture, interesting work

May 22, 2017 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Reasons I love my job: 1. My coworkers: there is no one at Eventbrite who doesn't want to talk to you, teach you things, learn from you, and improve the product together. It's a really unique group of people. 2. My projects: eng does a mix of new projects & keeping down tech debt, so there's always a mix of learning from existing code and getting to build entirely new stuff. 3. The product: it's awesome working on a product that has such a huge impact on small businesses in tons of different verticals, AND on a product that most of your friends & family actively use. 4. Culture at large: Eventbrite's culture is focused on allowing employees to be their "whole selves" at work. This sounds corporate-speak-y but I think they're succeeding at making a place where a wide variety of people can feel comfortable being themselves.

Cons

Like any tech company that's been around for 5+ years, some of our code base is messy and outdated in ways that aren't ideal. More investment in our technology infrastructure would help the engineering teams move faster in the long run. Like almost all tech companies, we have a fairly un-diverse engineering team, though our "diversity numbers" are better than some. I believe eng leadership is interested in keeping our existing employees happy and intelligently addressing issues that come up for women & people of color in the workplace, but there is room for improvement in our recruitment & retention work.

4 people found this review helpful