Eventbrite Reviews

Julia Hartz
  1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England

I worked at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

Great office space, everyone is so warm and welcoming, really good benefits

Cons

No bad words to say about working for Eventbrite

Eventbrite2020-05-18

May 19, 2020

Thank you! - DH

2. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, great benefits (unlimited vacation, free lunch, commuter benefits, etc.). Lots of opportunity to do work that impacts the whole company. Strong culture of experimentation, learning from the past, and continuous improvement.

Cons

Top level leadership has shown a willingness to experiment, admit when they're wrong, and change direction... unfortunately they seem to make a lot of wrong guesses and not many right ones.

Eventbrite2020-05-14

May 19, 2020

Many thanks for this constructive feedback - DH

"Engineering"

1.0
     in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of free LaCroix and an oatmeal bar. Great place to coast if you don't want to be aid much.

Cons

Strategic vision changes at least twice a year. Reorgs happen frequently. CEO plays favorites. Most of the best people I worked with we're let go due to Covid-19. The pay is extremely low for the Bay Area. I increased my salary 25% when I left. Too many people coasting and not doing much of anything. Middle management is only slightly worse than estaff. This used to be the best job in San Francisco. Seriously, the best job in San Francisco. I don't understand why anyone with any talent in product and engineering would work here. No pay. No future. I doubt the company will survive the year.

Eventbrite2020-05-11

May 12, 2020

I hear you. Glad you landed somewhere that is right for you and hope you do well on your journey. Thanks for the 3+ years you devoted to Eventbrite. - DH

"Used to be a great place to work, but has crumbled in recent years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-People: Despite an incredibly understaffed recruiting team, Eventbrite has traditionally hired really amazing, talented and motivated people. (That said, a majority have left over the past 3 years or were let go in the recent 45% layoffs.) -Ability to make an impact: Have felt that in all my roles there was opportunity to make a measurable impact on the business -Great office location & decent benefits -Eventbrite often promotes from within and/or encourages movement within the company, which is great -I think Eventbrite intends to care about culture and communication and wants to improve both. I don't feel that's been successful during my time here, but I do believe they want to improve.

Cons

-Poor executive leadership - Has gotten better since Lanny Baker (CFO) arrived, but over the past few years leadership from above has turned over constantly, and messaging has been inconsistent and uninspiring. -Knee-jerk changes of direction constantly - constantly switching priorities & restructuring every 10 months -CEO is all fluff. She's great at the vague, motivational speeches, but doesn't provide any true strategic leadership -On the low end of the pay scale for SF -Actions don't match words. They say they care about certain things, but don't back that up with the decisions they make

Eventbrite2020-05-08

May 12, 2020

Hey - appreciate your feedback here on both fronts. Agree on the importance of alignment. I think we're aligned at the exec level but understand we need to do more work to articulate our direction more and more, particularly in the COVID world we're in. Many thanks for the 5+ years and all you've done to build Eventbrite. Good luck on the next chapter! - DH

5. "Software Engineer"

5.0

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

Love it, great culture, great people

Cons

Things change fast, you need to adapt quickly

Eventbrite2020-04-24

April 28, 2020

Thank you! - DH

6. "Great company, horrible comms, HR, and plenty of sub par leaders"

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Tons of opportunity for career development but you have to earn it and be persistent about what you want - Awesome people - Amazing perks - Tons is autonomy as long as you deliver results, but I believe this was unique to my department - While I experienced plenty of duds over the years, for the most part, I was surrounded by VERY bright people and I learned a ton.

Cons

- had multiple direct reports with much higher base salaries and could never get leadership of HR to acknowledge how messed up that was - prioritizing “growth” over smart business. Little attention to the actual P&L of deals and the broader book - my boss once told me that leaders are not really successful for the success of their team. Almost quit on the spot but I have a family and I had to remember this was just coming from one misguided individual, though at a very Sr. Level. Most disappointing day of my career and the moment I decided that after 8 years maybe I should start looking for another gig. - PATHETIC SEVERANCE!!! After 8+ years received the same package as someone who was there for a month.

Eventbrite2020-04-23

April 24, 2020

Just wanted to say thank you for this feedback and for the 8+ years of helping to build Eventbrite. I'm sorry about how it ended for you and hope you land on your feet. Our TA team is helping impacted staff get connected with new opportunities - let me or Lindsay know if we can be of help on that part. - DH

"Enduring culture, despite change"

5.0

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good-hearted and smart people Good brand Hiring good leaders Detailed communications Improving in how we work

Cons

Tough circumstances with the RIF recently Need to better articulate strategies Pivot more into virtual events

Eventbrite2020-04-23
  8. "Great Place to Work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits, free lunch everyday, great people and overall great culture. Overall I felt like my voice was heard the majority of the time

Cons

My sales team sometime felt forgotten about. Covid-19 basically wiped out the whole company

Eventbrite2020-04-22

April 24, 2020

Thank you for sharing and best of luck on your next adventure - DH

"Do yourself a favor and run"

1.0

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people that were there were all great, unfortunately they’re all gone.

Cons

The company hasn’t been what it used to be for years. Management cares much more about how things look than actually caring about the employees. CHRO was going on a PR spree up until they laid off 46% of the company. Management is terrible. Nobody is help accountable for their jobs or actions. The people they worked their butts off for years were let go and the favorites got to stay. It’s all unfortunate.

Eventbrite2020-04-18

April 21, 2020

Hey, thank you. You're correct in that we, and the live events industry globally, sustained a major impact due to COVID-19....and we parted ways with almost half the company recently as a result. That was very difficult and, if you were part of that impact, I hope you land somewhere great and hope our TA team is helping you with outplacement. Please let me know if we can be of any more help. You're probably right that our external and internal comms had been very bullish in the lead-up to the COVID impact as we felt very good about the progress we were making before the pandemic. I take your feedback to heart and want to thank you for all that you did to help build Eventbrite. - DH

10. "Had a good time at Eventbrite"

4.0
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

A lot of smart and talented people to work with. Good company culture and benefits.

Cons

Local Benelux management lacks professionalism. Eventbrite is a great platform for the majority of organizers, but it's difficult to serve niche markets with it. The company doesn't always find the right balance between global strategy and local nuances.

Eventbrite2020-04-14