Eventbrite Reviews | Glassdoor

Eventbrite Reviews

Updated December 4, 2018

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "growth of the team - sometimes the processes can take awhile to catch up and you need to have a flexible attitude to deal with some growing pains" (in 13 reviews)

• "I've found the work/life balance to be great (and that balance is VERY encouraged), but this is not a place for people who just want punch the clock" (in 7 reviews)

"a few rotten apples"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free lunches, smart people, culture of technical excellence

Cons

the pressure on the company to perform means that management makes short-term decisions that favor employees with "indispensable knowledge" who drive away other good employees by being abrasive and bad team players.

Advice to Management

In the long run you'll be more successful if you actually focus on the culture as much as you say you do.

Apr 26, 2018

Thank you for sharing your point of view. I'm always here and welcome a direct conversation to go deeper on your feedback and experience.

Culture at Eventbrite is a direct manifestation of the... More

"Misleading"

I worked at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

For the most part, people are nice and Eventbrite has great benefits.

Cons

For all of the good things EB has going on for itself, it is outweighed by the sorority culture it has among its people. EB is best described as a superficial culture that lacks genuine interaction -- the leaders I worked with pretended to care and be on your side but would conspire against you and shut themselves off from all forms of communication. I often times would come into work and have to guess if my manager was having a bad day and if they'll deflect their negativity onto me.

The people I worked with were all intelligent and respectable, but there were plenty of moments where they leveraged that and became condescending. Definitely a culture of flexing and seeing who has the bigger stick. Additionally, if your work is not your life, and you are not constantly thinking about "Eventbrite," you will have a very tough time connecting with anyone. Here, you have to be all about Eventbrite or you're out.

Eventbrite prides itself for its work life balance and even has an unlimited PTO plan for its employees, however, they hardly practice what they preach. Unlimited PTO is pretty much a myth used as a pitch to get you to sign on with them. I had a vacation planned and gave my manager plenty of notice ahead of time and was still hounded for responses and work during that time -- is it not common sense to respect my personal time? Don't be fooled by the benefits and the people. Easily the worst place I've worked in my career.

Advice to Management

The CEO is a great woman and leader that I personally loved to talk to, but it's a shame that other leaders can't take after that and keep their power trip to themselves. Learn transparency and honesty. If you are going to whisper a secret about another team member or other colleagues, be less obvious about it. Please be more aware of your team members' needs or please evaluate who you're putting in a leadership position before you do it. There were way too many under-qualified people in leadership roles and it just doesn't make sense. Do better.

May 11, 2018

I'm really sorry to hear this experience existed for you while also appreciating your candidness. I'd love to speak directly about your experience so if you are inclined, please do reach out... More

"Avoid"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Catered breakfast, lunch, and dinner
    Nice people for the most part
    Passionate CEO

Cons

No work/life balance.
    Stressful environment.
    Lack of communication, transparency, and guidance from management.
    No support on career path.

Apr 26, 2018

Gah...this is a disappointing review but these are definitely areas we can work on together. Work/life balance, an engaging work environment, strong communication, transparency, helpful management... More

"Engineers beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Catered lunch 4 days a week

Cons

Of course, a lot of these reviews are biased based on people's experiences. If you're an engineer, I would encourage you to carefully read all of the reviews and consider who wrote these reviews before you make a decision on whether or not to join this company.

- Even though I had expressed concerns about my career growth and offered my help to come up with a path for growth multiple times, my manager never once discussed my career growth or options during my time here.
    - Some of the management here has no business being people managers. I think you'll find this is a common theme among some of the reviews here.
    - Review process was a joke, so your feedback on your manager won't make a difference.
    - Poor transparency and communication. People you are working with on projects would be let go, and it would not be communicated to you.
    - It was a very sales/marketing driven company when I left, which also suggests weak Engineering leadership at the executive level. Features were jammed down developer's throats, and oftentimes incomplete features were released in order to meet deadlines at which time the next feature would get worked on. Tech debt and bad code everywhere.
    - Not a lot of innovation.
    - Compensation is on the lower end of the market.

Advice to Management

Revamp the entire review process. Talk to the individual contributors and skip the managers for feedback. Change engineering leadership.

Apr 26, 2018

Hi there - thanks for your feedback, I'd like to respond here but also invite you to come chat with me to continue the discussion.

Career development at Eventbrite is extremely important to me... More

"New Mama - Career on Track"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

I'm a new mom of twins. Not only did I accept my role at Eventbrite while I was on maternity leave, but Eventbrite was flexible with my start date so I could fulfill my duties as a new mama. Overall, work/life balance is great, while still requiring a high quality of work. This in not a coast-through-your-career kind of place - and I find that those who do well here are oriented around action, teamwork, open-mindedness, and accountability. Corporate bureaucracy is low - action is high.

Cons

It could be easy to burn out, but the company's "take the time you need" vacation policy and general acceptance of vacation helps make up for some intense times.

Advice to Management

Keep balancing empathy with tough business decisions! Hard choices have to be made - this is business after all. We get it.

Mar 8, 2018

Thanks for the kudos on keeping corporate bureaucracy low - no one has time for that! I'm so happy you feel fulfilled in your job and your role as new Mama. That is awesome. Please keep the... More

"The most fulfilling and challenging professional experience I've had to date."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For me, the most important things to find in a company are tough problems to solve, inspiring co-workers, and collaboration. Over the past few years at Eventbrite, I can say without a doubt that I am having the most fulfilling and challenging professional experience I've had to date.

We're at a really interesting point in the Eventbrite's journey, where we are big enough that have resources to go after crazy challenges, but small enough that not everything is figured out yet. After about 6 months of establishing that I was competent at my job, I have felt continuously pushed to raise my hand and solve tough problems. I've gotten to take on responsibilities that are usually reserved for high level management, and I get to work strategically while also getting my hands dirty. I can honestly say I've learned more in my few years here than I had in my whole career prior, and I think the experience I've gotten here sets me up well for the rest of my career. I've always felt encouraged to seek that career growth within Eventbrite.

Solving tough problems is more fun when you work with impressive people, and I feel lucky to be surrounded by some really brilliant individual contributors and inspirational leaders. Even as Eventbrite grows, there is a feeling of a family that Julia has found a way to keep around.

What continues to inspire me about Eventbrite is the spirit of collaboration. Over the past year, and definitely for the next few years to come, we will be figuring out how to work together as a large global company. While these growing pains are really hard to go through for any company, I feel strongly that we will excel - simply due to our dedication to collaboration. I've seen many cross-functional projects exceed expectations, and I've seen us gracefully move through large acquisitions - and it all comes down to collaboration. At the end of the day, we get to solve tough problems, with smart colleagues, and we are dedicated to working together to make it happen. After a few years, that still gets me excited to come to work every day.

Cons

Over the past 2.5 years, we expanded globally very aggressively. We added offices in new countries and added a lot of new Britelings - both organically and via acquisition. This was not an easy expansion to go through.

For me, the biggest downfall of the expansion we've gone through was the fear that our culture could be diluted. There were times when it felt like we were making decisions based 100% on what was good for the bottom line, and losing our focus on growing a people-first, "best company to work for."

While I would say there were a handful of cons that came with this growth (RIFs, lack of focus on global competitive total compensation, feelings of distrust and lack of a clear path forward), I have started to see a clear shift back to our goal of becoming the best ticketing technology company AND the best company to work for - in tandem. This shift is noticeable, especially with the hiring of Omer Cohen, our new Chief People officer, and that prompted me to write this review.

Advice to Management

Over the past 6 months, there has been a clear shift towards reclaiming our "best place to work" focus. I've noticed changes in how transparent e-staff is, I've noticed more input from middle management around the globe, and I've noticed a big change in focus on career growth, L&D, and Total Rewards since Omer joined. Please keep us moving in this direction! We want to be the best ticketing technology company in the world, but we also want to be the best company to work for.

Feb 23, 2018

Wow - thank you for the thoughtful and honest feedback here. I am 100% with you on the importance of balancing our business goals with becoming the best company. One thing I know is that becoming the... More

"Former Employee Review"

I worked at Eventbrite full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The early years of Eventbrite were great, amazing, best job I ever had. I woke up everyday and wanted to go into the office and see my coworkers. I even wanted to hangout with them after hours.

I remember walking into Eventbrite in 2011 for my interview and I could feel the energy. I saw smiles on every employees face. The office had a Disneyland vide - 'happiest place on earth."

Cons

The company culture changed drastically as Eventbrite grew and executives were shuffling in and out of VP and C-level roles. Eventbrite stopped interviewing for culture fit, negatively affecting team and cross functional team dynamics.

My last few years at Eventbrite, I would wake up and not want to go to work. I didn't care for my coworkers and I didn't feel upper management, or even my manager, cared for me. I also struggled with a few ethical issues the last few months of my time at Eventbrite. I was asked by HR to lie to my coworkers, I was also told by HR that there would be times in my career where "I wouldn't have a life outside of work." That conversation with HR was the straw that broke the camels back for me. It also supported my observation on the company culture changing dramatically - no work/life balance directly being communicated to employees from an HR representative.

Advice to Management

Advice to upper management - go to your bottom line workers and ask for their feedback on their experience and manager. Don't work through your mid level managers to collect and share accurate feedback.

Mar 8, 2018

I appreciate your feedback, and I want to thank you for contributing to Eventbrite for 5+ years! We have been growing and scaling our business and we are dedicated to balancing tough business... More

"Best company I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Eventbrite for over a year and I can say that I still look forward to going into work everyday and I am still happy on a daily basis that I was given the opportunity to work here.

The people, culture, environment, etc is incredible. I have never been happier with a company and, at this point in my life, I can honestly say that I don't see myself leaving any time in the near future.

The company is very transparent with everything that that can be and I feel constantly supported by my supervisor. They are sincerely invested in your growth and career path. I have had the opportunity to transfer into three different positions so far during my time here and I constantly see people getting promoted internally and given the opportunity to interview for many different teams/positions. They are very invested in their employees and highly encourage a work-life balance and opportunities to shadow other teams for new opportunities within the company.

Bottom line- I love working at Eventbrite and cannot speak highly enough about it!

Cons

We have grown rapidly and that can make finding a conference room challenging at times, so I would like to see investment in additional private meeting spaces at some of our offices, but otherwise I sincerely love working here and really can't think of many other cons.

Mar 8, 2018

Thanks for the feedback - super helpful. I hear ya on private meeting rooms and we are working on that now!

-- Julia Hartz, CEO

"4 years later and I still love coming to work every day"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I couldn't be more proud to work for a company like Eventbrite. Beyond the amazing benefits (...and they ARE amazing - and just keep getting better!), and my co-workers who have become my family, I feel challenged and fulfilled with the work that I do. I can see where my work makes an impact for the company at large and I feel supported by direct manager, my c-level manager, and my team.

There is so much transparency, and ability to ask questions to management up to CEO level, but you have to take advantage of the opportunities. (ie: asking questions in Hearts to Hartz and being open in team meetings and your 1:1's with your manager if you have questions or issues to address)

I'd say even after two major acquisitions last year, we're operating at the best I've seen in my 4 years at the company, and I'm so excited to see where 2018 takes us!

Cons

There were some growing pains last year that I think some people felt more than others, but I'm seeing action being taken to solve those issues. So, while I'd put this as a "con" for last year - It's actually more of a "pro" for this year.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent and listening to your team. 1:1's are important, so always keep them consistent, no matter how busy you get!

Mar 8, 2018

Thanks for the transparent feedback! 2018 is off to a great start and there is tons of hard work ahead.

-- Julia Hartz, CEO

"Great community, growing and organized."

Current Employee - Music Business Unit Customer Support in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Music Business Unit Customer Support in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great group of people to work with. There's always something going on. Everyone helps each other so throughout the day doesn't seem as bad when when you get the best clients of the day.

Cons

Going over benefits is a struggle but there are great benefits.

Advice to Management

Have a designated time just to go over benefits