Eventbrite Senior Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Julia Hartz
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "growth of the team - sometimes the processes can take awhile to catch up and you need to have a flexible attitude to deal with some growing pains" (in 13 reviews)

• "I've found the work/life balance to be great (and that balance is VERY encouraged), but this is not a place for people who just want punch the clock" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Come work with the best Nashville has to offer!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture at Eventbrite is amazing. Friendly people, excellent work environment, great perks, and the location is great, right near downtown in Cummins Station. The work we do lets people share meaningful experiences with their friends and families.

Cons

Sometimes we have too many meetings.

2. "Super duper!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

* Everyone is really nice! - At first i was a little bit skeptical because the people seemed to nice, but it is genuine.
    * Big but not to big - Eventbrite is big so you get the luxuries from that, but not to big that an individual can't make a difference / impact.
    * Great Projects - Eventbrite is product focused so you get the build the things users need.

Cons

* Career progression after senior engineer level is unclear.
    * Paternity leave period is shorter than other similar companies.

"Great team, great challenges, room for growth"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart people, great chances to learn and grow.
    Benefits are great, wish pay was a little higher, but it's somewhat balanced out by the options which isn't common in Nashville.

Cons

From my perspective, there are very few cons. Communication with the home office in San Francisco can sometimes be a challenge due to the time zone difference, and the fact that people there tend to come in late (and work late). That sometimes means that it can be 10/11am before any other engineers are available for discussions.

Advice to Management

Continue on your current path. It's working well for the company, and for the employees.

Eventbrite Response

May 20, 2015

Thanks for the feedback here! As an emerging global culture, we've still got a lot of room for growth. Our goal is to become a truly unified global company by building a muscle that hasn't existed... More

"Good for junior staff looking to get experience, others might want to think twice."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

- Founders and management were all really cool and approachable.
    - Vacation policy was pretty awesome (possibly the best perk there)
    - Engineering mostly moved at a pretty good pace compared to other companies.
    - Engineering leadership were smart and qualified for their jobs (which is always nice).

Cons

- The business domain of online ticketing isn't as cool in 2015 as it was when Eventbrite was founded and Eventbrite is no longer a startup or a disruptor. Eventbrite is a peacetime company now. For me, this was a con.
    - Probably the most frugal company in all of San Francisco. If you're used to dual Apple monitors and frequent company outings, this isn't the place for you.
    - Lots of major Kool-aid drinkers across the entire company.
    - Python and Django as the hammer to every nail.
    - Some engineering teams would frequently shoot themselves in the foot by hiring very junior staff that required LOTS of training during periods where resources were insanely stretched thin. Which is great for the Jr staff, but bad for employees that have equity in the company.
    - Architecture was the concern of an oligarchy called the "architecture team". Do you have experience with software design and SOAs? Too bad if you're not on that team.
    - "No" as the knee-jerk reaction to most requests asked of Ops. Which is common to most companies, but worth mentioning that Eventbrite Ops is no different.

Eventbrite Response

May 20, 2015

Hi there - thanks for taking the time to give your assessment of where we could be doing better and what we're doing well right now. It's so helpful to get feedback in general and I appreciate your... More