Eventbrite Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Eventbrite Co-Founder & CEO Julia Hartz
Julia Hartz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "growth of the team - sometimes the processes can take awhile to catch up and you need to have a flexible attitude to deal with some growing pains" (in 13 reviews)

• "I've found the work/life balance to be great (and that balance is VERY encouraged), but this is not a place for people who just want punch the clock" (in 7 reviews)

"Excellent culture, interesting work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasons I love my job:
    1. My coworkers: there is no one at Eventbrite who doesn't want to talk to you, teach you things, learn from you, and improve the product together. It's a really unique group of people.
    2. My projects: eng does a mix of new projects & keeping down tech debt, so there's always a mix of learning from existing code and getting to build entirely new stuff.
    3. The product: it's awesome working on a product that has such a huge impact on small businesses in tons of different verticals, AND on a product that most of your friends & family actively use.
    4. Culture at large: Eventbrite's culture is focused on allowing employees to be their "whole selves" at work. This sounds corporate-speak-y but I think they're succeeding at making a place where a wide variety of people can feel comfortable being themselves.

Cons

Like any tech company that's been around for 5+ years, some of our code base is messy and outdated in ways that aren't ideal. More investment in our technology infrastructure would help the engineering teams move faster in the long run.

Like almost all tech companies, we have a fairly un-diverse engineering team, though our "diversity numbers" are better than some. I believe eng leadership is interested in keeping our existing employees happy and intelligently addressing issues that come up for women & people of color in the workplace, but there is room for improvement in our recruitment & retention work.

Advice to Management

Keep up all your good work!! Make sure our global offices are first-class citizens, and that they are as central to our company & culture as our SF headquarters.

"a few rotten apples"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free lunches, smart people, culture of technical excellence

Cons

the pressure on the company to perform means that management makes short-term decisions that favor employees with "indispensable knowledge" who drive away other good employees by being abrasive and bad team players.

Advice to Management

In the long run you'll be more successful if you actually focus on the culture as much as you say you do.

Apr 26, 2018

Thank you for sharing your point of view. I'm always here and welcome a direct conversation to go deeper on your feedback and experience.

Culture at Eventbrite is a direct manifestation of the... More

"Struggling to make profit. Inexperienced managers. Huge tech debt. Office politics & groupism b/h faux-positivity"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-$100 per month commute allowance
    - free snacks, fruits and coffee
    -free catered lunch 4 times a week. Quality is mediocre and options are limited if you are vegan/vegetarian.
    -nice espresso coffee machine
    - modern, big office
    - you can park yourself here and work for your pay stub.

Cons

Most managers don't have any prior experience in people management. Please do yourself a favor and review profiles of Engineering managers at EvenBrite before considering taking a job here. Be careful of not hurting manager's ego even accidentally and unintentionally, or be ready to be terminated at any minute. Seeing your colleagues suddenly getting disappeared is a norm here.

Communicating indirectly behind the back and in the groups is the accepted practice here. Meetings are used for discovering what other thinks. There is just weird tendency of agreeing as group. People Don't raise genuine issues and express honest opinions as they fear getting isolated and retaliation from rest of the group. Even long-time employees don't speak a word as they are waiting for an IPO to encash their stock options.

It is the worst quality code base I have ever seen in my long career. Accruing technical debt is encouraged as inexperienced managers attempts to direct entry level developers without any planning and design. Much of the code is a monolith and remains unchanged since inception. Tight coupling, circular dependencies and code duplication is common occurrence. Unfortunately in the absence of mentorship and guidance , young developers write best what they can. There are no architects around.

There is no thought leadership other than repeated attempts to induce excitements by announcing birthdays and anniversaries, cheering inter-project movement and celebrating festivals. There is nothing wrong with celebration. However there ia a lot of faux-positivity. Most young employees are attracted by this, free food, shower in the office and relaxed work environment. However there is no real growth and in absence of challenges and mentorhip, there isn't much to learn.

Salary is subpar as compared to average salaries in SF. Beware of those stock options as the strike price is very high. When you are granted $40K of stocks every year, you are getting $65k of options that you can exercise only if you pay $25k in cash. Since it is private equity, you cannot sell your stocks until company goes an IPO or mgmt gets approved investors. It means your money is stuck if you decide to leave. There is no 401k match. no bonuses. No PTOs and no cash payment for PTOs.

Unlimited TTYN policy isn't same as unlimited PTOs. Per CA laws, employees earn PTO/ vacation time and it is your right to spend the way you want. With unlimited time-off, it is on the discretion to your manager to approve your time-off. You may be asked to reduce your vacation, participate into meetings and supporting 'business' during your time-off.

There is no work methodology followed here. Company has recently started introducing Scrum(in 2017) and most teams don't like it. Basically running projects with no focus and hiding failures behind excuses and allegations is the preferred way. Often decisions are based on individual biases without considering any data points. No wonder why many project fails and company is struggling to make profits. Also very few customers bring repeat business and many of themare tired of technology issues and high fees. Management has shifted its strategy to acquire companies as it cannot fix inherent problems and grow organically. Management is aware that without consistent growth company cannot go for IPO.

Performance is reviewed every quarter. When the project fails, engineering manager starts finding a scapegoat, blame failures on that person and fire him. I have seen this pattern repeating numerous times. I have even witnessed people getting extremely positive review in last quarter but fired within a month for performance reasons. Make sure to dine and drink with your group members and build a personal relationship or you are next in the line.

I have seen many il-managed companies in my long career. But this one is the worst. Everyone in middle and top management has an inflated ego.

Other cons - only 1 restroom with 4 lavatories for an office space of 50,000 sq ft and among ~300 people. Long queues in the morning is norm. Loud rock music in the restroom doesn't help so please stop playing it.
    It is imposdible to find a conference for next 2 days.

Advice to Management

To middle management: Try introspecting at least once to find out root causes instead of blaming failures. Take some training in people management if you are inexperienced.or if you need it. Your job is to help your team resolving blockers so better start running 1:1s with agenda and have an action items out of each meeting. 1:1s isn't meant for gossips and finding scapegoats.

To top management - Hope you know what happens at ground-level. Please be aware who is fired and hired. Many good employees are leaving because of incompetent and egoistic middle management. Start paying attention to your customers and employees as acquiring companies alone cannot help you achieve the growth you are looking for an IPO.

Nov 20, 2017 – Eventbrite

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback. I'm sorry you had a negative experience at Eventbrite - this certainly isn't the type of experience I want anyone on the Engineering team to have... More

"10 year old 'startup' struggling to turn profit"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is pretty decent compared to some notoriously high stress Silicon Valley companies.

Cons

Management is a total chaos.
    Company didn't hesitate laying off workers regularly in the spirit of 'for profit'. There is also way too much politics for a company this size. I also heard a lot of bad things about their remote offices, as well as customer service/finance department. Prepare to take below market pay if you decide to work there.

5. "A great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite (Less than a year)

Pros

Very knowledgable, understanding, and helpful co-workers. Everyone I met at Eventbrite, even if they weren't on my specific team, was someone that I liked and would be happy to work with.

The company culture that is not at all competitive and promotes both mental and physical well-being. There are also regular internal education opportunities like tech talks, demos, and workshops on various areas.

Cons

It seems like there can be a lack of understanding of what other departments do at times. I was in Engineering, and I ended up going to a lot of design and data analytics presentations and working with people in those departments, but I didn't attend any marketing, sales, We Rock (customer support) or HR events beyond the initial presentations we got on the first two days (which were great). When I would talk to people in other departments at lunch we would often not really understand what the other person was doing, and kind of leave it there. After a 2.5 month internship and talking to plenty of sales people I still don't know what the day to day of a person in sales is really like, or what the major big-picture problems they are working on right now are.

Advice to Management

Maybe organize events/talks/demos/presentations that specifically connect departments that rarely work together directly like "Marketing technology", "The data science of sales", or "Marketing Eventbrite's API to developers". It might get people to start thinking of their work as connected rather than siloed between business and product.

Nov 10, 2016 – VP, People

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're committed to continuing to invest in creating learning and development opportunities for our Britelings. I love your idea.

-Dana Kilian... More

"I love this place!"

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Strong culture of learning and development
    - Amazing talent
    - Nice people
    - Focus on sustainable business practices
    - Leaders are very transparent
    - Great employee perks

Cons

None! But there is a 5 word minimum for this field... so I'm typing typing typing...

"Remote"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I've worked in tiny startups my entire engineering career, and was rather nervous entering into what I believe to be "corporate" status. My largest concern was getting lost in the shuffle, and my product not mattering to anybody nearly as much as it mattered to me. Our company, Queue, was acquired by Eventbrite because of our ability to build so much with such a small team (currently, 3 engineers). The two attributes of Eventbrite, and the team surrounding the acquisition, was recognizing that and making sure we stayed relatively autonomous, yet still "included" (if that makes sense).

If you want the juice, here it is:
    * Medical/Dental/Vision benefits are incredible, and the employer covers quite a large portion of dependent coverage as well
    * Pay is adequate. Not the most I've been offered in the city, but provides for a great quality of life while my partner is able to stay home and raise our child
    * Catered lunches in the main offices (since we work remote, they add a lunch allowance) are always delicious
    * Snacks, Red Bull, all the fuel you need throughout the day
    * Top of the line hardware, I didn't have to haggle for extra RAM or CPU, I was just given the best and latest MBP upon arrival

Cons

There is a singular con (I've been working here for six months), and I don't believe it to be a fault of Eventbrite, but the fault of a company with any size: meetings. As I've stated before, I've worked in tiny companies. To push an idea forward, somebody had to say something out loud. In a room of 10 people max, it always gets heard. With a company of 300+ in one office you have to schedule a meeting. That meeting may not include all the people whose life you will touch with your decision, so more meetings are had. Decisions are, then, inherently slow.

8. "Come work with the best Nashville has to offer!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture at Eventbrite is amazing. Friendly people, excellent work environment, great perks, and the location is great, right near downtown in Cummins Station. The work we do lets people share meaningful experiences with their friends and families.

Cons

Sometimes we have too many meetings.

9. "Super duper!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

* Everyone is really nice! - At first i was a little bit skeptical because the people seemed to nice, but it is genuine.
    * Big but not to big - Eventbrite is big so you get the luxuries from that, but not to big that an individual can't make a difference / impact.
    * Great Projects - Eventbrite is product focused so you get the build the things users need.

Cons

* Career progression after senior engineer level is unclear.
    * Paternity leave period is shorter than other similar companies.

"Lots of room to grow, excellent leadership"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has had a lot of thought and energy invested into making it a place people want to work. The leadership team is intentionally and remarkably transparent. For example, we have a weekly open Q&A session with the CEO, in which surprisingly pointed and difficult questions are asked by employees and answered with grace and intelligence.

Every part of the company seems populated by competent, motivated, and intelligent people. On the engineering side, I've had the privilege to work with colleagues I respect and admire. Feedback is part of the development cycle, and these same people are generally willing to jump in and take a look at work to suggest improvements, best practices, and architecture. Things get improved constantly because developers have the motivation and leeway to make changes when they see a problem.

An astoundingly good daily lunch, snacks, lots of office events that are actually fun, and a great healthcare plan are some notable perks.

Cons

The original application was created in the mid aughts, and like many companies that have been around for a while, there are ugly parts of the codebase.

We use a small number of in-house tools which have dominant open source alternatives. Mastering these tools has taught some valuable core concepts, but ultimately knowing how to use them will not be a transferable skill.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work emphasizing transparency and quality of life for your employees. Continue to take time battling technical debt, and encourage more usage of open source projects and open-sourcing in-house projects.

Nov 10, 2016 – VP, People

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're excited to keep going and tackling the technical debt. I'd love to catch up more next time I'm in Nashville!

-Dana Kilian