Eventbrite Software Engineer Reviews

Updated Apr 6, 2020

4.6
Eventbrite Co-Founder & CEO Julia Hartz
Julia Hartz

"Best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

- We have a great educational culture. For me, the most important thing I was looking for was investment in my engineering education, and that's happened on both a team/manager level and department wide. We have many internal educational programs (lectures, workshops, funding for conferences and educational materials, mentorship program, access to Udemy courses, etc), and my managers have been fully supportive of helping me transition to fullstack engineer. I mean, I am working right now with one of the founders on Django on an educational project. That's so awesome in and of itself. - We have a great engineering culture. We have a healthy culture of feedback and discussion - I feel like we are always discussing the best way to accomplish things, and people are really passionate about finding the right way forward that's the best for everyone. - I really believe in the product and mission. Our goals are to help create live experiences as well as support our event creators, which is something I can definitely get behind, having been an event planner in a previous life. - I get to bring my whole self to work, and get to do all the things I'm interested in. I'm not only interested in coding - I also love education and diversity initiatives, and have been allowed work time to accomplish things like an internal mentorship program and bringing diverse groups into our space. - We have a great culture overall. Management is celebratory of the work we do, without being too over the top and flashy (unlike some other companies in the area). We have lots of great internal events as well. Also, I really feel like management cares about both the employees and customers. Management is constantly asking for feedback and acting upon it. - I have lots of opportunity for growth and promotion, and options available to pursue the career path I want - either continuing to be an individual contributor or go into management. I've also had multiple directors across different departments take interest in my career growth and offer their help. - I feel like I'm being paid very fairly and there are great benefits. Good medical, and lots of really nice perks around the office - smoothie bar, in house massages/chiro, lunch is provided, snacks, commuting benefits, wellness stipend, etc. - I am really listened to by my manager and upper management. I was rather unhappy on a project due to extenuating circumstances, and was switched to a different project that was more in line with what I want to accomplish. All of which I feel very grateful for. - Good work-life balance. Sometimes there's a project deadline and people have to work really hard to get stuff out of the door, but in general managers are really respectful of work life balance. We also have a really good culture of being flexible with time off and working remote. - I get to build cool stuff, working for our R&D department. - The interview process was one of the best I've ever been through. They were willing to meet me where I was at (being a junior engineer), and my first phone screen was with a director, not a recruiter. That really left a lasting impression on me. - Lastly, the people. I LOVE the people I get to work with - they are so incredibly knowledgeable, kind, and supportive. Also, just really freaking cool. Everyone has something that they are passionate about, both inside and outside of work. I have met so many amazing and inspiring people at work, and genuinely feel like I have made friends. This is probably one of the biggest factors of what's going to keep me around for a long time. All in all, I can't recommend Eventbrite enough. I love it here, plain and simple.

Cons

The internal development environment has been really difficult to work with in the past - lots of lost time and productivity. We don't have an official QA department. That sometimes is a bit concerning. Sometimes our internal culture isn't as cohesive as I would like - both SF wide and engineering as well. I do feel connected to other offices, as we have had opportunity to visit and work with each other which I feel grateful for. But I thankfully have friends across all the departments, which makes it feel a lot smaller.

Eventbrite2019-03-08

January 8, 2020

Thank you for this feedback! Very helpful. - David

"Not for top talent"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office location, pet-friendly, decent enough snacks

Cons

- Leadership: no transparency, a lot of fakeness as our stock tanked - Low comp compared to rest of tech - Worthless stock - Subpar talent, or good talent undervalued - Cost cutting measured included no dinner or decreased breakfasts - Poor office layout inside -- very crowded, never enough meetings, only ONE single-stall/gender neutral bathroom that has a shower in it - Rookie engineering managers with no experience (either engineers with no social skills or EMs with no technical skills or never coded at Eventbrite)

Eventbrite2020-04-06

April 20, 2020

Thank you for sharing your feedback, despite the circumstances. You were with us at a very interesting time and I wanted to thank you for all you did to help build EB during an often turbulent period. Wishing you well on your next chapter - DH

"A tech company with heart."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Executives truly care about their employees and speak authentically to us * Nice selection of benefits * Excellent team and culture * Work life balance is real * Career mobility is real * Our business is unusually tangible: tickets and live experience which lead to feeling a good sense of accomplishment from the work we do

Cons

* Like most tech companies, or any companies, YMMV depending on team/manager.

Eventbrite2019-02-27
  4. "Taken Care Of"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been amazed at how much Eventbrite invests in me not only as an employee, but also as a person. I'm encouraged to be my best self, to spend time with my family, and also just have fun. There is a clear trajectory for me as an engineer, and a fantastic amount of transparency from our leadership.

Cons

Grant it, I've only been here since June of 2018, but I'd be hard pressed to come up with any cons at this point. :)

Eventbrite2019-01-08
  5. "Eventbrite is the best company I've ever worked for."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing people to work with, great lifestyle, great healthcare, good other perks.

Cons

Pay should be better. HR leveling doesn't always make sense since there are frequently no comparable roles in this region.

Eventbrite2018-04-19

"a few rotten apples"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

free lunches, smart people, culture of technical excellence

Cons

the pressure on the company to perform means that management makes short-term decisions that favor employees with "indispensable knowledge" who drive away other good employees by being abrasive and bad team players.

Eventbrite2018-04-18

April 26, 2018

Thank you for sharing your point of view. I'm always here and welcome a direct conversation to go deeper on your feedback and experience. Culture at Eventbrite is a direct manifestation of the people at the company at that point in time. In as much as your experience was not a positive one based on those you worked with or were managed by, that is a failure on us. We take this very seriously. - Julia Hartz, CEO

"Struggling to make profit. Inexperienced managers. Huge tech debt. Office politics & groupism b/h faux-positivity"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

-$100 per month commute allowance - free snacks, fruits and coffee -free catered lunch 4 times a week. Quality is mediocre and options are limited if you are vegan/vegetarian. -nice espresso coffee machine - modern, big office - you can park yourself here and work for your pay stub.

Cons

Most managers don't have any prior experience in people management. Please do yourself a favor and review profiles of Engineering managers at EvenBrite before considering taking a job here. Be careful of not hurting manager's ego even accidentally and unintentionally, or be ready to be terminated at any minute. Seeing your colleagues suddenly getting disappeared is a norm here. Communicating indirectly behind the back and in the groups is the accepted practice here. Meetings are used for discovering what other thinks. There is just weird tendency of agreeing as group. People Don't raise genuine issues and express honest opinions as they fear getting isolated and retaliation from rest of the group. Even long-time employees don't speak a word as they are waiting for an IPO to encash their stock options. It is the worst quality code base I have ever seen in my long career. Accruing technical debt is encouraged as inexperienced managers attempts to direct entry level developers without any planning and design. Much of the code is a monolith and remains unchanged since inception. Tight coupling, circular dependencies and code duplication is common occurrence. Unfortunately in the absence of mentorship and guidance , young developers write best what they can. There are no architects around. There is no thought leadership other than repeated attempts to induce excitements by announcing birthdays and anniversaries, cheering inter-project movement and celebrating festivals. There is nothing wrong with celebration. However there ia a lot of faux-positivity. Most young employees are attracted by this, free food, shower in the office and relaxed work environment. However there is no real growth and in absence of challenges and mentorhip, there isn't much to learn. Salary is subpar as compared to average salaries in SF. Beware of those stock options as the strike price is very high. When you are granted $40K of stocks every year, you are getting $65k of options that you can exercise only if you pay $25k in cash. Since it is private equity, you cannot sell your stocks until company goes an IPO or mgmt gets approved investors. It means your money is stuck if you decide to leave. There is no 401k match. no bonuses. No PTOs and no cash payment for PTOs. Unlimited TTYN policy isn't same as unlimited PTOs. Per CA laws, employees earn PTO/ vacation time and it is your right to spend the way you want. With unlimited time-off, it is on the discretion to your manager to approve your time-off. You may be asked to reduce your vacation, participate into meetings and supporting 'business' during your time-off. There is no work methodology followed here. Company has recently started introducing Scrum(in 2017) and most teams don't like it. Basically running projects with no focus and hiding failures behind excuses and allegations is the preferred way. Often decisions are based on individual biases without considering any data points. No wonder why many project fails and company is struggling to make profits. Also very few customers bring repeat business and many of themare tired of technology issues and high fees. Management has shifted its strategy to acquire companies as it cannot fix inherent problems and grow organically. Management is aware that without consistent growth company cannot go for IPO. Performance is reviewed every quarter. When the project fails, engineering manager starts finding a scapegoat, blame failures on that person and fire him. I have seen this pattern repeating numerous times. I have even witnessed people getting extremely positive review in last quarter but fired within a month for performance reasons. Make sure to dine and drink with your group members and build a personal relationship or you are next in the line. I have seen many il-managed companies in my long career. But this one is the worst. Everyone in middle and top management has an inflated ego. Other cons - only 1 restroom with 4 lavatories for an office space of 50,000 sq ft and among ~300 people. Long queues in the morning is norm. Loud rock music in the restroom doesn't help so please stop playing it. It is imposdible to find a conference for next 2 days.

Eventbrite2017-11-15

November 20, 2017Eventbrite

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback. I'm sorry you had a negative experience at Eventbrite - this certainly isn't the type of experience I want anyone on the Engineering team to have. Without more specifics, it is hard to respond to much of what you said; however, I can acknowledge that we are revamping our performance management process and have kicked off a survey this week to gather employee feedback. Management and Leadership Development are our number one employee experience priorities in 2018, and it is critically important to continue to develop our Engineering Leadership. In addition, we are committed to continuous improvement. To that end, I would love to have the opportunity to discuss specifics and hear your feedback directly. Please feel free to reach out to me directly to discuss any of your concerns. -Pat Poels, VP of Engineering

"10 year old 'startup' struggling to turn profit"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance is pretty decent compared to some notoriously high stress Silicon Valley companies.

Cons

Management is a total chaos. Company didn't hesitate laying off workers regularly in the spirit of 'for profit'. There is also way too much politics for a company this size. I also heard a lot of bad things about their remote offices, as well as customer service/finance department. Prepare to take below market pay if you decide to work there.

Eventbrite2017-08-12

"Excellent culture, interesting work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Reasons I love my job: 1. My coworkers: there is no one at Eventbrite who doesn't want to talk to you, teach you things, learn from you, and improve the product together. It's a really unique group of people. 2. My projects: eng does a mix of new projects & keeping down tech debt, so there's always a mix of learning from existing code and getting to build entirely new stuff. 3. The product: it's awesome working on a product that has such a huge impact on small businesses in tons of different verticals, AND on a product that most of your friends & family actively use. 4. Culture at large: Eventbrite's culture is focused on allowing employees to be their "whole selves" at work. This sounds corporate-speak-y but I think they're succeeding at making a place where a wide variety of people can feel comfortable being themselves.

Cons

Like any tech company that's been around for 5+ years, some of our code base is messy and outdated in ways that aren't ideal. More investment in our technology infrastructure would help the engineering teams move faster in the long run. Like almost all tech companies, we have a fairly un-diverse engineering team, though our "diversity numbers" are better than some. I believe eng leadership is interested in keeping our existing employees happy and intelligently addressing issues that come up for women & people of color in the workplace, but there is room for improvement in our recruitment & retention work.

Eventbrite2017-05-22
  10. "A great place to learn and grow"

Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite for less than a year

Pros

Very knowledgable, understanding, and helpful co-workers. Everyone I met at Eventbrite, even if they weren't on my specific team, was someone that I liked and would be happy to work with. The company culture that is not at all competitive and promotes both mental and physical well-being. There are also regular internal education opportunities like tech talks, demos, and workshops on various areas.

Cons

It seems like there can be a lack of understanding of what other departments do at times. I was in Engineering, and I ended up going to a lot of design and data analytics presentations and working with people in those departments, but I didn't attend any marketing, sales, We Rock (customer support) or HR events beyond the initial presentations we got on the first two days (which were great). When I would talk to people in other departments at lunch we would often not really understand what the other person was doing, and kind of leave it there. After a 2.5 month internship and talking to plenty of sales people I still don't know what the day to day of a person in sales is really like, or what the major big-picture problems they are working on right now are.

Eventbrite2016-09-05

November 10, 2016VP, People

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're committed to continuing to invest in creating learning and development opportunities for our Britelings. I love your idea. -Dana Kilian VP, People

Found 26 reviews