Eventbrite Software Engineer Reviews

Eventbrite Co-Founder & CEO Julia Hartz
Julia Hartz
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best place I have ever worked

Mar 8, 2019 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- We have a great educational culture. For me, the most important thing I was looking for was investment in my engineering education, and that's happened on both a team/manager level and department wide. We have many internal educational programs (lectures, workshops, funding for conferences and educational materials, mentorship program, access to Udemy courses, etc), and my managers have been fully supportive of helping me transition to fullstack engineer. I mean, I am working right now with one of the founders on Django on an educational project. That's so awesome in and of itself. - We have a great engineering culture. We have a healthy culture of feedback and discussion - I feel like we are always discussing the best way to accomplish things, and people are really passionate about finding the right way forward that's the best for everyone. - I really believe in the product and mission. Our goals are to help create live experiences as well as support our event creators, which is something I can definitely get behind, having been an event planner in a previous life. - I get to bring my whole self to work, and get to do all the things I'm interested in. I'm not only interested in coding - I also love education and diversity initiatives, and have been allowed work time to accomplish things like an internal mentorship program and bringing diverse groups into our space. - We have a great culture overall. Management is celebratory of the work we do, without being too over the top and flashy (unlike some other companies in the area). We have lots of great internal events as well. Also, I really feel like management cares about both the employees and customers. Management is constantly asking for feedback and acting upon it. - I have lots of opportunity for growth and promotion, and options available to pursue the career path I want - either continuing to be an individual contributor or go into management. I've also had multiple directors across different departments take interest in my career growth and offer their help. - I feel like I'm being paid very fairly and there are great benefits. Good medical, and lots of really nice perks around the office - smoothie bar, in house massages/chiro, lunch is provided, snacks, commuting benefits, wellness stipend, etc. - I am really listened to by my manager and upper management. I was rather unhappy on a project due to extenuating circumstances, and was switched to a different project that was more in line with what I want to accomplish. All of which I feel very grateful for. - Good work-life balance. Sometimes there's a project deadline and people have to work really hard to get stuff out of the door, but in general managers are really respectful of work life balance. We also have a really good culture of being flexible with time off and working remote. - I get to build cool stuff, working for our R&D department. - The interview process was one of the best I've ever been through. They were willing to meet me where I was at (being a junior engineer), and my first phone screen was with a director, not a recruiter. That really left a lasting impression on me. - Lastly, the people. I LOVE the people I get to work with - they are so incredibly knowledgeable, kind, and supportive. Also, just really freaking cool. Everyone has something that they are passionate about, both inside and outside of work. I have met so many amazing and inspiring people at work, and genuinely feel like I have made friends. This is probably one of the biggest factors of what's going to keep me around for a long time. All in all, I can't recommend Eventbrite enough. I love it here, plain and simple.

Cons

The internal development environment has been really difficult to work with in the past - lots of lost time and productivity. We don't have an official QA department. That sometimes is a bit concerning. Sometimes our internal culture isn't as cohesive as I would like - both SF wide and engineering as well. I do feel connected to other offices, as we have had opportunity to visit and work with each other which I feel grateful for. But I thankfully have friends across all the departments, which makes it feel a lot smaller.

7 people found this review helpful

Thank you for this feedback! Very helpful. - David

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not for top talent

Apr 6, 2020 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Office location, pet-friendly, decent enough snacks

Cons

- Leadership: no transparency, a lot of fakeness as our stock tanked - Low comp compared to rest of tech - Worthless stock - Subpar talent, or good talent undervalued - Cost cutting measured included no dinner or decreased breakfasts - Poor office layout inside -- very crowded, never enough meetings, only ONE single-stall/gender neutral bathroom that has a shower in it - Rookie engineering managers with no experience (either engineers with no social skills or EMs with no technical skills or never coded at Eventbrite)

8 people found this review helpful

Eventbrite Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback, despite the circumstances. You were with us at a very interesting time and I wanted to thank you for all you did to help build EB during an often turbulent period. Wishing you well on your next chapter - DH

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A tech company with heart.

Feb 27, 2019 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Executives truly care about their employees and speak authentically to us * Nice selection of benefits * Excellent team and culture * Work life balance is real * Career mobility is real * Our business is unusually tangible: tickets and live experience which lead to feeling a good sense of accomplishment from the work we do

Cons

* Like most tech companies, or any companies, YMMV depending on team/manager.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 5.0

Taken Care Of

Jan 8, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been amazed at how much Eventbrite invests in me not only as an employee, but also as a person. I'm encouraged to be my best self, to spend time with my family, and also just have fun. There is a clear trajectory for me as an engineer, and a fantastic amount of transparency from our leadership.

Cons

Grant it, I've only been here since June of 2018, but I'd be hard pressed to come up with any cons at this point. :)

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Lots of room to grow, excellent leadership

May 4, 2016 - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

This company has had a lot of thought and energy invested into making it a place people want to work. The leadership team is intentionally and remarkably transparent. For example, we have a weekly open Q&A session with the CEO, in which surprisingly pointed and difficult questions are asked by employees and answered with grace and intelligence. Every part of the company seems populated by competent, motivated, and intelligent people. On the engineering side, I've had the privilege to work with colleagues I respect and admire. Feedback is part of the development cycle, and these same people are generally willing to jump in and take a look at work to suggest improvements, best practices, and architecture. Things get improved constantly because developers have the motivation and leeway to make changes when they see a problem. An astoundingly good daily lunch, snacks, lots of office events that are actually fun, and a great healthcare plan are some notable perks.

Cons

The original application was created in the mid aughts, and like many companies that have been around for a while, there are ugly parts of the codebase. We use a small number of in-house tools which have dominant open source alternatives. Mastering these tools has taught some valuable core concepts, but ultimately knowing how to use them will not be a transferable skill.

14 people found this review helpful

VP, People

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're excited to keep going and tackling the technical debt. I'd love to catch up more next time I'm in Nashville! -Dana Kilian VP People

6. 5.0

Excellent culture, interesting work

May 22, 2017 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Reasons I love my job: 1. My coworkers: there is no one at Eventbrite who doesn't want to talk to you, teach you things, learn from you, and improve the product together. It's a really unique group of people. 2. My projects: eng does a mix of new projects & keeping down tech debt, so there's always a mix of learning from existing code and getting to build entirely new stuff. 3. The product: it's awesome working on a product that has such a huge impact on small businesses in tons of different verticals, AND on a product that most of your friends & family actively use. 4. Culture at large: Eventbrite's culture is focused on allowing employees to be their "whole selves" at work. This sounds corporate-speak-y but I think they're succeeding at making a place where a wide variety of people can feel comfortable being themselves.

Cons

Like any tech company that's been around for 5+ years, some of our code base is messy and outdated in ways that aren't ideal. More investment in our technology infrastructure would help the engineering teams move faster in the long run. Like almost all tech companies, we have a fairly un-diverse engineering team, though our "diversity numbers" are better than some. I believe eng leadership is interested in keeping our existing employees happy and intelligently addressing issues that come up for women & people of color in the workplace, but there is room for improvement in our recruitment & retention work.

4 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

A great place to learn and grow

Sep 5, 2016 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very knowledgable, understanding, and helpful co-workers. Everyone I met at Eventbrite, even if they weren't on my specific team, was someone that I liked and would be happy to work with. The company culture that is not at all competitive and promotes both mental and physical well-being. There are also regular internal education opportunities like tech talks, demos, and workshops on various areas.

Cons

It seems like there can be a lack of understanding of what other departments do at times. I was in Engineering, and I ended up going to a lot of design and data analytics presentations and working with people in those departments, but I didn't attend any marketing, sales, We Rock (customer support) or HR events beyond the initial presentations we got on the first two days (which were great). When I would talk to people in other departments at lunch we would often not really understand what the other person was doing, and kind of leave it there. After a 2.5 month internship and talking to plenty of sales people I still don't know what the day to day of a person in sales is really like, or what the major big-picture problems they are working on right now are.

VP, People

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're committed to continuing to invest in creating learning and development opportunities for our Britelings. I love your idea. -Dana Kilian VP, People

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

The most genuine coworkers and supportive environment that I've ever encountered.

Aug 15, 2014 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Colleagues are supportive and always willing to help you learn a new skill or contribute their expertise to a project. People are not territorial or competitive at all. There is team spirit in the truest sense (not just as a catchphrase). * Everyone is genuinely friendly and cares about you as a person. I've made "real life" friends with many of the people I've worked with. Going to work is actually fun! At the same time, there is absolutely no forced socialization or expectation that you need to "fit in" -- as a general rule everyone is very accepting and welcoming. * The degree of transparency is very high -- founders have weekly chats with the entire company where any question can be asked and will be answered. There is a minimum of office politics. * Good work-life balance: unlimited PTO, managers encourage work life balance and there isn't a culture of staying in the office until midnight. I've worked at 3 different companies before this, and can honestly say that Eventbrite is my favorite by far.

Cons

Compensation tends to be on the modest side, although in line with industry standards. Also balanced out by the fact that we get unlimited PTO, good work life balance, etc -- versus other places with higher compensation but a cutthroat work culture.

4 people found this review helpful

Eventbrite Response

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience at Eventbrite! I agree that the deep sense of collaboration is something unique to how we work here and that we truly care about relationship development within the company. I also agree there is no room for politics here unless it is the BritePolitics team who are helping connect politicians to their constituents through the optimization of our platform. :) Thanks for the note on compensation as well -- this is an area we're constantly keeping our eye on as we evaluate our competitiveness in each market and the performance of each individual Briteling. Julia Hartz - Co-founder & President

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company for engineers who want growth & learning

Dec 14, 2015 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked at many companies, small & big, but never anything like EventBrite. This is the greatest company for engineers who want to learn, grow, and collaborate with others. They have a team of engineers who are really smart but at the same time very personable. There are some very experienced people working alongside Hackbright or new college grads; they have little work areas setup where a group can congregate and do some pairing together. The culture at EventBrite seems to fit the individual; if you're the type who wants to work alone, that's fine, but if you need help, just ask for it. I haven't met a single person I would hesitate to work with. We have 2 remote engineering teams in Mendoza and Nashville, both of these teams are great and easy to work with. To break up the work we host meetups, have beer on tap, clap when we are excited about something, and give out gnome awards. The office in San Francisco is very cool, we have an open work environment, but I also love going into the big Library (no talking allowed) for some quiet work time.

Cons

Like any company transitioning from a small startup to a mid-size company (EventBrite has been around 10 years now) it is experiencing some growing pains. I don't think this is very alarming, compared to early stage startups.

10. 3.0
    Former Employee

Good for junior staff looking to get experience, others might want to think twice.

Apr 4, 2015 - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Founders and management were all really cool and approachable. - Vacation policy was pretty awesome (possibly the best perk there) - Engineering mostly moved at a pretty good pace compared to other companies. - Engineering leadership were smart and qualified for their jobs (which is always nice).

Cons

- The business domain of online ticketing isn't as cool in 2015 as it was when Eventbrite was founded and Eventbrite is no longer a startup or a disruptor. Eventbrite is a peacetime company now. For me, this was a con. - Probably the most frugal company in all of San Francisco. If you're used to dual Apple monitors and frequent company outings, this isn't the place for you. - Lots of major Kool-aid drinkers across the entire company. - Python and Django as the hammer to every nail. - Some engineering teams would frequently shoot themselves in the foot by hiring very junior staff that required LOTS of training during periods where resources were insanely stretched thin. Which is great for the Jr staff, but bad for employees that have equity in the company. - Architecture was the concern of an oligarchy called the "architecture team". Do you have experience with software design and SOAs? Too bad if you're not on that team. - "No" as the knee-jerk reaction to most requests asked of Ops. Which is common to most companies, but worth mentioning that Eventbrite Ops is no different.

11 people found this review helpful

Eventbrite Response

Hi there - thanks for taking the time to give your assessment of where we could be doing better and what we're doing well right now. It's so helpful to get feedback in general and I appreciate your transparency here in regards to what your experience was like at Eventbrite. Obviously, I have a different point of view in terms of Eventbrite's stage in the cycle of disruption. Our vision for the future is clear and compelling: to become the global marketplace for live experiences. This is something that hasn't been done before and so the enormity and challenging nature of this excites me every day. We've got a huge climb to get there! One area I think we can definitely continue to improve upon is our framework around coaching and development for not only leaders but those who are coming in to the company at a junior level. In order to be able to support those who are newer to their job or position, I think we need to have a strong framework for development. We're getting there but this is definitely an area where I think we need to make a lot of headway as we continue to grow as a team. Thanks again for your thoughts! Even if we don't see eye to eye on all of them, I really appreciate your perspective and feedback. Julia Hartz - Co-founder & President

Viewing 1 - 10 of 34 Reviews