Eventbrite Employee Reviews about "career growth"

Updated Apr 8, 2020

4.0
Eventbrite Co-Founder & CEO Julia Hartz
Julia Hartz
Pros
  • "Friendly work environment that really makes an effort to honor work life balance(in 51 reviews)

• "You can work remotely and have great benefits(in 21 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains associated with a scaling company: some disorganization at the senior level can give individual contributors whiplash and cause burnout(in 15 reviews)

• "Management didn't show the most interest in supporting entry level career growth, though admittedly they had very busy schedules(in 11 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "career growth"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Outstanding company!

Aug 14, 2016 - Customer Experience Representative in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

It has been an amazing experience to be a part of this company. The culture and work environment are awesome and everybody is extremely supportive of one another. I couldn't ask for a better work/life balance (in my position, you can work from home!) and the benefits are outstanding. Our leadership is fantastic and transparent about changes within the company. You feel like you are actually a part of something rather than just another employee.

Cons

The only thing that comes to mind, and I wouldn't necessarily call it a con since this is a growing company, but it would be great to have a clearer sense in regard to career growth and opportunities. I understand that with a company growing this quickly, changes happen frequently so it is difficult to really pinpoint a career path.

2. 1.0

Seriously - STAY AWAY

Apr 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Incompetent leadership aside, the folks on the ground are genuinely talented and lovely. Some of them have stuck around for years despite terrible management, uncompetitive salaries, and rounds upon rounds of layoffs.

Cons

You name it. Julia's all show, no substance. I'm still mystified that she and Kevin (who, as I was leaving, was taking up one of the office's very few conference rooms to conduct angel investing - get your own office, Kevin, you can afford it) managed to drive what was once a growing/thriving company so far into the ground. You want to be paid a laughably uncompetitive salary to reorg every 4 months and waffle about in the mess created by unclear strategic priorities? Step right up! The company laid off something like 60% of its workforce this year - will you be next? Other lowlights include: terrible leadership, managers who shouldn't be managers, lovely legalese masquerading as "transparency" from the CEO that belies just how out of her depth she is, a loud and disorganized nightmare of an open office plan, no direction or career growth to speak of unless you get a battlefield promotion. When I left EB to go work for another, smaller company, I got paid double my salary to do the same job. SERIOUSLY - double my salary at EB. Don't work here, there's no point.

16 people found this review helpful

Eventbrite Response

Apologies for the very bad experience you had but am glad for you and your pay raise. For clarity sake: we did have to part ways with almost half the company a couple weeks back and this stemmed from the massive impact COVID has had on the live events industry. This was certainly not something we planned for at the start of the year. - DH

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Customer Service Team Review

Feb 17, 2016 - Client Services Representative in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

We have the ability to work from home but the office is also really great. My co-workers are the best and the team leads are amazing as well. I love the values of the company and feel that executive leadership has a great strategy and genuinely care about the employees. The benefits can't be beat! This makes me want to bring my best to work every day.

Cons

Upper management in customer service lacks good communication and they are very reactive. They make a lot of changes with little thought to how it affects the team or their morale. Sometimes, they'll make a big change then take our feedback and backtrack on the change instead of bringing us into the picture earlier on which could avoid a lot of issues. When the office opened there was a lot of talk about never becoming a call center and about career growth. We've definitely moved more toward a call center mentality though. The value of work-life balance doesn't seem to be a priority anymore unfortunately.

5 people found this review helpful

Eventbrite

Thanks for your honest feedback, I appreciate where your frustration is coming from. Making changes to our team and scheduling as the business evolves is often a difficult process for the company and our team. We absolutely value every member of our team, and want to make any changes as comfortable as we can so we can continue to best support our customers. Thank you for voicing your concern about communication, we will definitely be more mindful about how we share information and how it impacts the team going forward! - Devisha Mistry, Support Manager

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Work hard, play hard - focus on team as well as bottom line

Apr 9, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Fun, complex and diverse industry - lots to learn across multiple event spaces and growing exponentially - Growing quickly both domestically across different segments and internationally into new markets - Lots of dynamic, challenging work to tackle which can help keep things fresh and new - Given lots of autonomy to go after opportunities and drive decisions - Smart people who have fun, are passionate about the business, and who work really hard

Cons

- Primarily young management team lacking big company experience to facilitate growth to the next level - Limited upward mobility for middle management and real focus on employee career growth - Lower end of compensation for market - they like to sell the dream to get you in - Culture, while super fun, up beat and friendly outwardly, discourages confrontation causing management to often skirt around issues instead of being direct and upfront

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0

Pros and Cons

Sep 19, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Beautiful office -Nice perks -Work life balance -Access to great events -Perfect place to start an entry-level job

Cons

Here were my determining factors in deciding why to leave one of the 'Best Places to Work': 1. It's hard to get an honest opinion about other employees' experience when the company places pressure on current employees to inflate the ratings. 2. Some of the worst management style I have ever come across in my career. My manager was extremely incompetent and has never managed a group of people before Eventbrite. They would give inconsistent feedback and empty promises on career growth and advancement. Their entire team has now left the company. 3. Compensation is below market rates. Management tries to bake the perks of the company into your package, however, this should be an added bonus, not part of your yearly compensation. 4. Part of the motivation driver of the sales team is fear. There is a top-down culture that creates politics and tension. Consistent layoffs mixed with irrational, quick decisions creates a layer of paranoia that is deeply rooted into the team and culture.

14 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0

Engineers beware

Apr 13, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Catered lunch 4 days a week

Cons

Of course, a lot of these reviews are biased based on people's experiences. If you're an engineer, I would encourage you to carefully read all of the reviews and consider who wrote these reviews before you make a decision on whether or not to join this company. - Even though I had expressed concerns about my career growth and offered my help to come up with a path for growth multiple times, my manager never once discussed my career growth or options during my time here. - Some of the management here has no business being people managers. I think you'll find this is a common theme among some of the reviews here. - Review process was a joke, so your feedback on your manager won't make a difference. - Poor transparency and communication. People you are working with on projects would be let go, and it would not be communicated to you. - It was a very sales/marketing driven company when I left, which also suggests weak Engineering leadership at the executive level. Features were jammed down developer's throats, and oftentimes incomplete features were released in order to meet deadlines at which time the next feature would get worked on. Tech debt and bad code everywhere. - Not a lot of innovation. - Compensation is on the lower end of the market.

8 people found this review helpful

Eventbrite Response

Hi there - thanks for your feedback, I'd like to respond here but also invite you to come chat with me to continue the discussion. Career development at Eventbrite is extremely important to me, and it is clear that we fell short of your expectations. We are growing rapidly and with exciting growth comes the responsibility to invest in strong leadership. Your feedback is heard, and we will continue to strive to set our leaders up to create best in career experiences for the Britelings on their teams. On the technical debt side, absolutely - we have more work to do here to get it right and remove the roadblocks that slow down progress / create frustration. I view this as something we HAVE to get right as we continue to scale globally. On the innovation side, we may have a different point of view here as I see Britelings creating micro and macro innovations consistently across the organization. You know how to reach me should you want to chat further! -Julia Hartz, CEO

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

not a bad place to work, kinda boring work

May 17, 2017 - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Eventbrite has a great office with great culture. Things can be intense with many type A personalities with fast pace daily routines. But everyone worked hard and my team got very close even outside of work.

Cons

My role was repetitive and felt menial at times. Management didn't show the most interest in supporting entry level career growth, though admittedly they had very busy schedules. Early hours were not that enjoyable either.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company, great culture!

Aug 12, 2016 - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Eventbrite is a wonderful place to work. There is an overall culture of trust, openness and transparency that is truly unique for a company this size. Most individuals and teams are extremely collaborative and cross-functional dynamics are very strong. Benefits, perks and work/life balance are excellent. There is a great mix of small-company drive and energy and larger-company maturity.

Cons

Would be good to have clearer career growth opportunities. A few growing pains, but to be expected at this stage in the company's evolution.

9. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

great perks but disorganized

Mar 18, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Competitive perks: wellness stipend, breakfast/lunch/dinner, snacks, massages, yoga, acupuncture, unlimited PTO, health/dental/vision, transportation stipend, vibrant and well maintained office space -A recognizable brand that looks great on your resume

Cons

-Disorganized from the top down. -People leaders abusing power. Hierarchical and very political. -Runs lean at the expense of employees. -No real career growth opportunities -Poor leadership -No accountability -Low pay. You could do the same job somewhere else and make a lot more. Work here for the name and experience (which, trust me, you will get. You will do things beyond your scope of work and level and never ever be appreciated or recognized for it) and then move on. There is more to a job than free snacks.

21 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Analyst

Oct 11, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly people, fast growth company

Cons

Depending on role, limited career growth

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 Reviews