Eventbrite "career growth" Reviews | Glassdoor

Eventbrite Employee Reviews about "career growth"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Engineers beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Catered lunch 4 days a week

Cons

Of course, a lot of these reviews are biased based on people's experiences. If you're an engineer, I would encourage you to carefully read all of the reviews and consider who wrote these reviews before you make a decision on whether or not to join this company.

- Even though I had expressed concerns about my career growth and offered my help to come up with a path for growth multiple times, my manager never once discussed my career growth or options during my time here.
    - Some of the management here has no business being people managers. I think you'll find this is a common theme among some of the reviews here.
    - Review process was a joke, so your feedback on your manager won't make a difference.
    - Poor transparency and communication. People you are working with on projects would be let go, and it would not be communicated to you.
    - It was a very sales/marketing driven company when I left, which also suggests weak Engineering leadership at the executive level. Features were jammed down developer's throats, and oftentimes incomplete features were released in order to meet deadlines at which time the next feature would get worked on. Tech debt and bad code everywhere.
    - Not a lot of innovation.
    - Compensation is on the lower end of the market.

Advice to Management

Revamp the entire review process. Talk to the individual contributors and skip the managers for feedback. Change engineering leadership.

Eventbrite Response

Apr 26, 2018

Hi there - thanks for your feedback, I'd like to respond here but also invite you to come chat with me to continue the discussion.

Career development at Eventbrite is extremely important to me... More

"Pros and Cons"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Beautiful office
    -Nice perks
    -Work life balance
    -Access to great events
    -Perfect place to start an entry-level job

Cons

Here were my determining factors in deciding why to leave one of the 'Best Places to Work':

1. It's hard to get an honest opinion about other employees' experience when the company places pressure on current employees to inflate the ratings.

2. Some of the worst management style I have ever come across in my career. My manager was extremely incompetent and has never managed a group of people before Eventbrite. They would give inconsistent feedback and empty promises on career growth and advancement. Their entire team has now left the company.

3. Compensation is below market rates. Management tries to bake the perks of the company into your package, however, this should be an added bonus, not part of your yearly compensation.

4. Part of the motivation driver of the sales team is fear. There is a top-down culture that creates politics and tension. Consistent layoffs mixed with irrational, quick decisions creates a layer of paranoia that is deeply rooted into the team and culture.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and ask for open, transparent feedback.

"not a bad place to work, kinda boring work"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Eventbrite has a great office with great culture. Things can be intense with many type A personalities with fast pace daily routines. But everyone worked hard and my team got very close even outside of work.

Cons

My role was repetitive and felt menial at times. Management didn't show the most interest in supporting entry level career growth, though admittedly they had very busy schedules. Early hours were not that enjoyable either.

Advice to Management

Don't ignore the little guy. Keep the culture of a tech company, rather than what the entertainment or music industry purports. An IPO isn't always the most important thing.

"great perks but disorganized"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

-Competitive perks: wellness stipend, breakfast/lunch/dinner, snacks, massages, yoga, acupuncture, unlimited PTO, health/dental/vision, transportation stipend, vibrant and well maintained office space
    -A recognizable brand that looks great on your resume

Cons

-Disorganized from the top down.
    -People leaders abusing power. Hierarchical and very political.
    -Runs lean at the expense of employees.
    -No real career growth opportunities
    -Poor leadership
    -No accountability
    -Low pay. You could do the same job somewhere else and make a lot more.

Work here for the name and experience (which, trust me, you will get. You will do things beyond your scope of work and level and never ever be appreciated or recognized for it) and then move on. There is more to a job than free snacks.

5. "Analyst"

Pros

Friendly people, fast growth company

Cons

Depending on role, limited career growth

"Customer Experience Review"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, exciting atmosphere, supportive leaders.

Cons

Lack of career growth, overzealous company culture, poor comp.

7. "Outstanding company!"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has been an amazing experience to be a part of this company. The culture and work environment are awesome and everybody is extremely supportive of one another. I couldn't ask for a better work/life balance (in my position, you can work from home!) and the benefits are outstanding. Our leadership is fantastic and transparent about changes within the company. You feel like you are actually a part of something rather than just another employee.

Cons

The only thing that comes to mind, and I wouldn't necessarily call it a con since this is a growing company, but it would be great to have a clearer sense in regard to career growth and opportunities. I understand that with a company growing this quickly, changes happen frequently so it is difficult to really pinpoint a career path.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and keep doing what you do! Everybody has been great so I couldn't ask for more!

8. "Great company, great culture!"

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Eventbrite is a wonderful place to work. There is an overall culture of trust, openness and transparency that is truly unique for a company this size. Most individuals and teams are extremely collaborative and cross-functional dynamics are very strong. Benefits, perks and work/life balance are excellent. There is a great mix of small-company drive and energy and larger-company maturity.

Cons

Would be good to have clearer career growth opportunities. A few growing pains, but to be expected at this stage in the company's evolution.

Advice to Management

Empower individuals to rise from within the ranks to more senior positions.

"Customer Service Team Review"

Current Employee - Client Services Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Client Services Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We have the ability to work from home but the office is also really great. My co-workers are the best and the team leads are amazing as well. I love the values of the company and feel that executive leadership has a great strategy and genuinely care about the employees. The benefits can't be beat! This makes me want to bring my best to work every day.

Cons

Upper management in customer service lacks good communication and they are very reactive. They make a lot of changes with little thought to how it affects the team or their morale. Sometimes, they'll make a big change then take our feedback and backtrack on the change instead of bringing us into the picture earlier on which could avoid a lot of issues. When the office opened there was a lot of talk about never becoming a call center and about career growth. We've definitely moved more toward a call center mentality though. The value of work-life balance doesn't seem to be a priority anymore unfortunately.

Advice to Management

There are some tough changes that are bound to come our way but the team is great enough to be on board with the right leadership. Show greater faith in your team and and communicate changes clearly and honestly. Stick to the core values that brought us here and don't sacrifice the amazing team you've built for the sake of quick results.

Eventbrite Response

Feb 19, 2016 – Eventbrite

Thanks for your honest feedback, I appreciate where your frustration is coming from. Making changes to our team and scheduling as the business evolves is often a difficult process for the company and... More

"Work hard, play hard - focus on team as well as bottom line"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fun, complex and diverse industry - lots to learn across multiple event spaces and growing exponentially
    - Growing quickly both domestically across different segments and internationally into new markets
    - Lots of dynamic, challenging work to tackle which can help keep things fresh and new
    - Given lots of autonomy to go after opportunities and drive decisions
    - Smart people who have fun, are passionate about the business, and who work really hard

Cons

- Primarily young management team lacking big company experience to facilitate growth to the next level
    - Limited upward mobility for middle management and real focus on employee career growth
    - Lower end of compensation for market - they like to sell the dream to get you in
    - Culture, while super fun, up beat and friendly outwardly, discourages confrontation causing management to often skirt around issues instead of being direct and upfront

Advice to Management

Continue to work on growth internally as well as externally, as really good people can be your greatest asset over the long haul.