Eventbrite Employee Reviews about "catered lunch"

Updated Jul 24, 2019

4.1
Eventbrite Co-Founder & CEO Julia Hartz
Julia Hartz
Pros
  • "Friendly work environment that really makes an effort to honor work life balance(in 50 reviews)

• "Strong perks and benefits (Free food, catered lunch, dogs in work)(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains associated with a scaling company: some disorganization at the senior level can give individual contributors whiplash and cause burnout(in 16 reviews)

• "Management didn't show the most interest in supporting entry level career growth, though admittedly they had very busy schedules(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "catered lunch"

Return to all Reviews

"Great company, but the job sucks"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Catered lunches, snacks, drinks, friendly team, great office, free parking downtown..

Cons

The job itself really sucks. People call, email, and chat in all day to complain about the product.

"The Best Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - CX Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great work/life balance. PTO policy is just to take the time you need, which is helpful to not have to stress over personal days and vacation time. -Office in the city, great location -Catered lunch every weekday, and it is always top notch. -The benefits package is obscenely good. -Ability to work remote as needed/desired

Cons

-The CX team feels forgotten at times in the sense that we don't always get to use the same benefits as the rest of the office. We rarely get to participate in the happy hours/socials/panels/trainings/meetings because, well, someone's gotta answer the phones. Holidays need to be worked, and while the holiday pay is nice, it kinda sucks almost drawing straws to see who gets stuck on their computer on a holiday. I'm not sure what the fix is for that, and it may just be the peril of working customer service, but it's worth mentioning. -There's been a major lack of clarity on the state of the company since it wen't public. The vibe is that things are not going to plan. Some high profile folks have left for reasons that don't seem genuine, and we've reorganized in different ways a few times. The higher ups swear everything is fine, but that feels suspect. In a company that values transparency, that's not a great feeling. If things are bad, just tell us.

July 10, 2019

Really appreciate your observations and suggestions here. Balancing the needs of our customers with things like meetings and social activities can certainly be a challenge for our CX organization. My goal is to always think about how we can give fair access to opportunities, while continuing to look after the customers who are at the center of our business. Transparency is important to how we operate, not just as a team, but as a company. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts and start brainstorming further if you're up for it. Reach out to me in-person, over email, or Slack and let's grab a coffee. I'm always open to trying out new ways to get you the clarity and information you're missing. - Courtney Duhring, Director of International Customer Experience

3. "Yes, it really is as amazing as it sounds!"

Current Employee - Contracts Administrator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

During my application process, I read just about every review on Eventbrite's Glassdoor page - and from the minute I walked in for my interview, I saw the positive vibes in action. I've now been with the company for a little over two months, and every day I wake up even more excited to come to work. There are many, many pros to working at Eventbrite (hello, endless La Croix, delicious and healthy catered lunch, employer-paid healthcare and a host of other perks that simply make life easier), but the best part is being surrounded by super smart and driven people who really love what they do. I also really appreciate the push for strong communication and personal/professional development. Finally, as a woman, I have been incredibly impressed and motivated by the strong female leadership at Eventbrite, both within my team and company-wide.

Cons

Not really a con but a general comment - it's not all ping pong tables and free snacks. I've found the work/life balance to be great (and that balance is VERY encouraged), but this is not a place for people who just want punch the clock. However, if you're looking for a place where you will be pushed out of your comfort zone, encouraged to dig deep and learn about many different facets of a business, Eventbrite is it!

July 8, 2018

Wow - thank you! I really appreciate your point of view and thoughtful description of what it’s like as a Briteling. - Julia Hartz, CEO

4. "Couldn't be happier with where I am!"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Eventbrite has an incredible workplace environment. I feel genuinely cared about and valued not only within my own team and office but across the company as a whole. My coworkers are my closest friends and I spend so much time with them outside of work. The company is growing at a rapid rate and it is incredible to be a part of. I truly feel that I am contributing to that growth in a very real way. From my manager all the way up the chain, there is a consistency and transparency regarding my role, expectations and future opportunities. The benefits are incredible. Catered lunch every day, happy hours in the office regularly, and a full fridge and snack drawers. Quarterly office-wide parties and celebrations. There is a great balance between accountability and freedom to control the work that you do on a daily basis.

Cons

Very difficult to find Cons. With any growing company, when changes and growth occur there can be some shifting in responsibilities within roles. Managers are effective in communicating these changes with the altering expectations.

Continue reading

"Great company to work for, still some work to do"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Flexible work-from-home and vacation policies - Excellent benefits and perks (low-cost health insurance, daily catered lunch, wellness stipend to name a few). - The best collective group of people that I've ever worked with. Intelligent, empathetic, and innovative. Learned how to collaborate, fail, and lead through working with such talented folks. - Constant growth and change = Unparalleled professional development.

Cons

- There could be more intentional professional development for EB employees. Change and growth allow us to discover and develop our skillsets, but I often felt that the org could take a more active and intentional role in professional development. - Direct pay seems slightly under market value. Overall compensation package plus perks seem fair, all things considered.

May 11, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback and advice on where we could invest and engage more in professional development. I agree and there is a lot under way to up-level our development work and intentional career coaching framework. My goal is to have a very different development experience humming by year's end and we're already seeing seeds of this sprout under Mary's leadership. Keep up the great feedback! - Julia Hartz, CEO

"Engineers beware"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Catered lunch 4 days a week

Cons

Of course, a lot of these reviews are biased based on people's experiences. If you're an engineer, I would encourage you to carefully read all of the reviews and consider who wrote these reviews before you make a decision on whether or not to join this company. - Even though I had expressed concerns about my career growth and offered my help to come up with a path for growth multiple times, my manager never once discussed my career growth or options during my time here. - Some of the management here has no business being people managers. I think you'll find this is a common theme among some of the reviews here. - Review process was a joke, so your feedback on your manager won't make a difference. - Poor transparency and communication. People you are working with on projects would be let go, and it would not be communicated to you. - It was a very sales/marketing driven company when I left, which also suggests weak Engineering leadership at the executive level. Features were jammed down developer's throats, and oftentimes incomplete features were released in order to meet deadlines at which time the next feature would get worked on. Tech debt and bad code everywhere. - Not a lot of innovation. - Compensation is on the lower end of the market.

April 26, 2018

Hi there - thanks for your feedback, I'd like to respond here but also invite you to come chat with me to continue the discussion. Career development at Eventbrite is extremely important to me, and it is clear that we fell short of your expectations. We are growing rapidly and with exciting growth comes the responsibility to invest in strong leadership. Your feedback is heard, and we will continue to strive to set our leaders up to create best in career experiences for the Britelings on their teams. On the technical debt side, absolutely - we have more work to do here to get it right and remove the roadblocks that slow down progress / create frustration. I view this as something we HAVE to get right as we continue to scale globally. On the innovation side, we may have a different point of view here as I see Britelings creating micro and macro innovations consistently across the organization. You know how to reach me should you want to chat further! -Julia Hartz, CEO

"Struggling to make profit. Inexperienced managers. Huge tech debt. Office politics & groupism b/h faux-positivity"

1.0
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

-$100 per month commute allowance - free snacks, fruits and coffee -free catered lunch 4 times a week. Quality is mediocre and options are limited if you are vegan/vegetarian. -nice espresso coffee machine - modern, big office - you can park yourself here and work for your pay stub.

Cons

Most managers don't have any prior experience in people management. Please do yourself a favor and review profiles of Engineering managers at EvenBrite before considering taking a job here. Be careful of not hurting manager's ego even accidentally and unintentionally, or be ready to be terminated at any minute. Seeing your colleagues suddenly getting disappeared is a norm here. Communicating indirectly behind the back and in the groups is the accepted practice here. Meetings are used for discovering what other thinks. There is just weird tendency of agreeing as group. People Don't raise genuine issues and express honest opinions as they fear getting isolated and retaliation from rest of the group. Even long-time employees don't speak a word as they are waiting for an IPO to encash their stock options. It is the worst quality code base I have ever seen in my long career. Accruing technical debt is encouraged as inexperienced managers attempts to direct entry level developers without any planning and design. Much of the code is a monolith and remains unchanged since inception. Tight coupling, circular dependencies and code duplication is common occurrence. Unfortunately in the absence of mentorship and guidance , young developers write best what they can. There are no architects around. There is no thought leadership other than repeated attempts to induce excitements by announcing birthdays and anniversaries, cheering inter-project movement and celebrating festivals. There is nothing wrong with celebration. However there ia a lot of faux-positivity. Most young employees are attracted by this, free food, shower in the office and relaxed work environment. However there is no real growth and in absence of challenges and mentorhip, there isn't much to learn. Salary is subpar as compared to average salaries in SF. Beware of those stock options as the strike price is very high. When you are granted $40K of stocks every year, you are getting $65k of options that you can exercise only if you pay $25k in cash. Since it is private equity, you cannot sell your stocks until company goes an IPO or mgmt gets approved investors. It means your money is stuck if you decide to leave. There is no 401k match. no bonuses. No PTOs and no cash payment for PTOs. Unlimited TTYN policy isn't same as unlimited PTOs. Per CA laws, employees earn PTO/ vacation time and it is your right to spend the way you want. With unlimited time-off, it is on the discretion to your manager to approve your time-off. You may be asked to reduce your vacation, participate into meetings and supporting 'business' during your time-off. There is no work methodology followed here. Company has recently started introducing Scrum(in 2017) and most teams don't like it. Basically running projects with no focus and hiding failures behind excuses and allegations is the preferred way. Often decisions are based on individual biases without considering any data points. No wonder why many project fails and company is struggling to make profits. Also very few customers bring repeat business and many of themare tired of technology issues and high fees. Management has shifted its strategy to acquire companies as it cannot fix inherent problems and grow organically. Management is aware that without consistent growth company cannot go for IPO. Performance is reviewed every quarter. When the project fails, engineering manager starts finding a scapegoat, blame failures on that person and fire him. I have seen this pattern repeating numerous times. I have even witnessed people getting extremely positive review in last quarter but fired within a month for performance reasons. Make sure to dine and drink with your group members and build a personal relationship or you are next in the line. I have seen many il-managed companies in my long career. But this one is the worst. Everyone in middle and top management has an inflated ego. Other cons - only 1 restroom with 4 lavatories for an office space of 50,000 sq ft and among ~300 people. Long queues in the morning is norm. Loud rock music in the restroom doesn't help so please stop playing it. It is imposdible to find a conference for next 2 days.

November 20, 2017Eventbrite

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback. I'm sorry you had a negative experience at Eventbrite - this certainly isn't the type of experience I want anyone on the Engineering team to have. Without more specifics, it is hard to respond to much of what you said; however, I can acknowledge that we are revamping our performance management process and have kicked off a survey this week to gather employee feedback. Management and Leadership Development are our number one employee experience priorities in 2018, and it is critically important to continue to develop our Engineering Leadership. In addition, we are committed to continuous improvement. To that end, I would love to have the opportunity to discuss specifics and hear your feedback directly. Please feel free to reach out to me directly to discuss any of your concerns. -Pat Poels, VP of Engineering

"Remote"

Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite

Pros

I've worked in tiny startups my entire engineering career, and was rather nervous entering into what I believe to be "corporate" status. My largest concern was getting lost in the shuffle, and my product not mattering to anybody nearly as much as it mattered to me. Our company, Queue, was acquired by Eventbrite because of our ability to build so much with such a small team (currently, 3 engineers). The two attributes of Eventbrite, and the team surrounding the acquisition, was recognizing that and making sure we stayed relatively autonomous, yet still "included" (if that makes sense). If you want the juice, here it is: * Medical/Dental/Vision benefits are incredible, and the employer covers quite a large portion of dependent coverage as well * Pay is adequate. Not the most I've been offered in the city, but provides for a great quality of life while my partner is able to stay home and raise our child * Catered lunches in the main offices (since we work remote, they add a lunch allowance) are always delicious * Snacks, Red Bull, all the fuel you need throughout the day * Top of the line hardware, I didn't have to haggle for extra RAM or CPU, I was just given the best and latest MBP upon arrival

Cons

There is a singular con (I've been working here for six months), and I don't believe it to be a fault of Eventbrite, but the fault of a company with any size: meetings. As I've stated before, I've worked in tiny companies. To push an idea forward, somebody had to say something out loud. In a room of 10 people max, it always gets heard. With a company of 300+ in one office you have to schedule a meeting. That meeting may not include all the people whose life you will touch with your decision, so more meetings are had. Decisions are, then, inherently slow.

9. "So grateful to be a part of this team!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture here is amazing. Everyone is so supportive, welcoming, and talented! Leadership is phenomenal, and they do a fantastic job of not only encouraging you to be your best self, but also providing you with the organizational foundation to do so. The benefits are also top notch--Unlimited paid time off, catered lunches, wellness stipend, work from home option, and GREAT health care! This isn't just another job--the people here really care about Eventbrite's mission & core values, and they work hard to make sure the company is successful, sustainable, and always interesting!

Cons

There really aren't any negatives in my opinion. For Customer Experience roles, the work schedule might be less than ideal for some because support is 24/7, but it certainly isn't unmanageable by any means, and there is plenty of flexibility.

Continue reading

"Fantastic culture, world-class product, awesome employees, and room to improve"

4.0

I have been working at Eventbrite for more than a year

Pros

• Transparency on company priorities, product roadmap and decisions, and our performance against them • Supportive culture that encourages vulnerability and individuality • Access and frequent interaction with senior leaders • Culture of feedback and challenging the status quo • Great perks - wellness stipend, daily catered lunch, ability to work from home, wonderful office snacks and drinks, fun events away from the office

Cons

• We've grown quickly and also change/pivot strategy quickly. These decisions affect our product and work and can be confusing for some (both Britelings and our customers). • It doesn't seem like we always listen to feedback from our internal teams and external customers. While our product is always evolving, we still haven't made progress against many of our customers' pain points.

Found 20 reviews