Cover image for Eventbrite
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Eventbrite Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Mar 25, 2021

77 Comments

Tech

580.6K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Eventbrite~344483
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Eventbrite? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Eventbrite employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor leadership and incompetent/under(in 17 reviews)
  • "Pay is low, starting off hours are not great(in 12 reviews)
  • "Management is aware that without consistent growth company cannot go for IPO.(in 11 reviews)
  • "Benefits are good, but salaries still aren't competitive against similarly(in 10 reviews)
  • "Most managers don't have any prior experience in people management.(in 8 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Race Ethnicity

This rating reflects the overall rating of Eventbrite and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best place I have ever worked

Mar 8, 2019 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- We have a great educational culture. For me, the most important thing I was looking for was investment in my engineering education, and that's happened on both a team/manager level and department wide. We have many internal educational programs (lectures, workshops, funding for conferences and educational materials, mentorship program, access to Udemy courses, etc), and my managers have been fully supportive of helping me transition to fullstack engineer. I mean, I am working right now with one of the founders on Django on an educational project. That's so awesome in and of itself. - We have a great engineering culture. We have a healthy culture of feedback and discussion - I feel like we are always discussing the best way to accomplish things, and people are really passionate about finding the right way forward that's the best for everyone. - I really believe in the product and mission. Our goals are to help create live experiences as well as support our event creators, which is something I can definitely get behind, having been an event planner in a previous life. - I get to bring my whole self to work, and get to do all the things I'm interested in. I'm not only interested in coding - I also love education and diversity initiatives, and have been allowed work time to accomplish things like an internal mentorship program and bringing diverse groups into our space. - We have a great culture overall. Management is celebratory of the work we do, without being too over the top and flashy (unlike some other companies in the area). We have lots of great internal events as well. Also, I really feel like management cares about both the employees and customers. Management is constantly asking for feedback and acting upon it. - I have lots of opportunity for growth and promotion, and options available to pursue the career path I want - either continuing to be an individual contributor or go into management. I've also had multiple directors across different departments take interest in my career growth and offer their help. - I feel like I'm being paid very fairly and there are great benefits. Good medical, and lots of really nice perks around the office - smoothie bar, in house massages/chiro, lunch is provided, snacks, commuting benefits, wellness stipend, etc. - I am really listened to by my manager and upper management. I was rather unhappy on a project due to extenuating circumstances, and was switched to a different project that was more in line with what I want to accomplish. All of which I feel very grateful for. - Good work-life balance. Sometimes there's a project deadline and people have to work really hard to get stuff out of the door, but in general managers are really respectful of work life balance. We also have a really good culture of being flexible with time off and working remote. - I get to build cool stuff, working for our R&D department. - The interview process was one of the best I've ever been through. They were willing to meet me where I was at (being a junior engineer), and my first phone screen was with a director, not a recruiter. That really left a lasting impression on me. - Lastly, the people. I LOVE the people I get to work with - they are so incredibly knowledgeable, kind, and supportive. Also, just really freaking cool. Everyone has something that they are passionate about, both inside and outside of work. I have met so many amazing and inspiring people at work, and genuinely feel like I have made friends. This is probably one of the biggest factors of what's going to keep me around for a long time. All in all, I can't recommend Eventbrite enough. I love it here, plain and simple.

Cons

The internal development environment has been really difficult to work with in the past - lots of lost time and productivity. We don't have an official QA department. That sometimes is a bit concerning. Sometimes our internal culture isn't as cohesive as I would like - both SF wide and engineering as well. I do feel connected to other offices, as we have had opportunity to visit and work with each other which I feel grateful for. But I thankfully have friends across all the departments, which makes it feel a lot smaller.

7 people found this review helpful

Thank you for this feedback! Very helpful. - David

2. 4.0

Good Company

Jan 27, 2021 - EMEA ACCOUNT MANAGER
    Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of benefits and perks to the job Casual dress code Feedback always appreciated

Cons

Lack of communication from upper management

Eventbrite Response

Thank you for sharing this feedback and we'll continue to work on comms from upper management. Best of luck on your next adventure! - DH

3. Join the Eventbrite team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee

Its fine

Jan 4, 2021 - General
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Pretty chill work environment - 401k match and EPP - You can work wherever you want

Cons

- Product road map constantly changes due to poor management - Tech stack is subpar compared to other companies in the same tier - Virtually no documentation whatsoever for a system that gets more and more complicated - Feedback loop to upper management don't really exist, at least not on my team. Can't remember the last time I was asked to give my manager feedback in a review cycle - Pay below par

2 people found this review helpful

Eventbrite Response

Thank you for sharing this thoughtful feedback and I hope we can make improvements on a number of these! - DH

5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work! Many effected by COVID, but has a great enviroment

Jan 2, 2023 - Head of X in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Team Culture People Willing to roll up your sleeves mentality Great in-office perks (for those who go in)

Cons

-There can sometimes be a dis-connection between people leading and executing a project/product and executive staff's thoughts on it. Making decisions without knowing what's going on. -There can be favoritism between mid-management and upper management. Certain people excel much quicker than others, and it's not always based on performance.

6. 1.0

Horrible 2-Year Experience

Aug 13, 2018 - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Usual perks: free food/snacks, coffee, health benefits, nice office

Cons

I quit Eventbrite as soon as I was able. Despite the nice office/perks and facade of a 'fun company culture', I did not enjoy working at Eventbrite. Don't be fooled by all the hyped 5-star reviews by entry-level new hires who don't know any better (yet). 1. Senior leader(s) of my department created a toxic, uncomfortable working environment. Complained to me about my own peers/colleagues, putting them down behind their backs. I've never experienced such unprofessionalism, and I was really disappointed about this. Given how frequently this happened, it was very hard to trust my managers: seeing them pretend to care about an employee, only to turn around the next moment and complain about them. I don't doubt that they've done the same to me. 2. Unappreciative. Leaders take their most diligent employees for granted. Constantly made heavy demands of the team to meet deadlines, but did NOT take the time to understand whether we had enough resources. Because of this, team would kill themselves working long hours just to hit deadlines, and management WON'T go out of their way to acknowledge dedication and hard work. On the other hand, if anything is less-than-perfect, then fingers ARE pointed and you'll get facetime with upper management to talk about what they don't like about you or your work. 3. No actual work/life balance. I was expected to return emails/calls in the evenings at home and while I was on vacation. I felt judged by my leaders whenever I asked to take any of my 'unlimited PTO', even though I took less PTO than most others on my team. They were definitely counting days and letting you know they didn't like it. 4. Clique-y and cultist culture. Like a few others here have written, if you don't live and breathe Eventbrite, you don't fit in. Managers show favoritism.

17 people found this review helpful

Eventbrite Response

I regret you had this kind of experience at Eventbrite. Should you want to speak directly with me, you know my email and we can set up time to chat. We are always evolving our approach to leadership development and management training but it feels as if we really missed the mark for you in terms of an engaging and positive employee experience and for that, I'm truly sorry. -- Julia Hartz, CEO

7. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Customer Service Team Review

Feb 17, 2016 - Client Services Representative in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

We have the ability to work from home but the office is also really great. My co-workers are the best and the team leads are amazing as well. I love the values of the company and feel that executive leadership has a great strategy and genuinely care about the employees. The benefits can't be beat! This makes me want to bring my best to work every day.

Cons

Upper management in customer service lacks good communication and they are very reactive. They make a lot of changes with little thought to how it affects the team or their morale. Sometimes, they'll make a big change then take our feedback and backtrack on the change instead of bringing us into the picture earlier on which could avoid a lot of issues. When the office opened there was a lot of talk about never becoming a call center and about career growth. We've definitely moved more toward a call center mentality though. The value of work-life balance doesn't seem to be a priority anymore unfortunately.

5 people found this review helpful

Eventbrite

Thanks for your honest feedback, I appreciate where your frustration is coming from. Making changes to our team and scheduling as the business evolves is often a difficult process for the company and our team. We absolutely value every member of our team, and want to make any changes as comfortable as we can so we can continue to best support our customers. Thank you for voicing your concern about communication, we will definitely be more mindful about how we share information and how it impacts the team going forward! - Devisha Mistry, Support Manager

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Former Employee Review

Feb 28, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The early years of Eventbrite were great, amazing, best job I ever had. I woke up everyday and wanted to go into the office and see my coworkers. I even wanted to hangout with them after hours. I remember walking into Eventbrite in 2011 for my interview and I could feel the energy. I saw smiles on every employees face. The office had a Disneyland vide - 'happiest place on earth."

Cons

The company culture changed drastically as Eventbrite grew and executives were shuffling in and out of VP and C-level roles. Eventbrite stopped interviewing for culture fit, negatively affecting team and cross functional team dynamics. My last few years at Eventbrite, I would wake up and not want to go to work. I didn't care for my coworkers and I didn't feel upper management, or even my manager, cared for me. I also struggled with a few ethical issues the last few months of my time at Eventbrite. I was asked by HR to lie to my coworkers, I was also told by HR that there would be times in my career where 'I wouldn't have a life outside of work.' That conversation with HR was the straw that broke the camels back for me. It also supported my observation on the company culture changing dramatically - no work/life balance directly being communicated to employees from an HR representative.

8 people found this review helpful

Eventbrite Response

I appreciate your feedback, and I want to thank you for contributing to Eventbrite for 5+ years! We have been growing and scaling our business and we are dedicated to balancing tough business decisions that will help us grow, while not losing sight of our culture and putting our employees first. Thank you for offering the advice to get clearer lines of communication from my executive team to the front lines, and we will continue to keep communication lines open as we grow. In regards to the ethical flag you raised, I take this very seriously. If you would be open to discussing feedback, please reach out to me directly: julia [at] eventbrite [dot] com. - Julia Hartz, CEO

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Fun company overflowing with talent

Aug 15, 2016 - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Really talented and super friendly workforce - Upper management really cares about its employees - Lots of transparency - Excellent career growth opportunities - Good/Great perks (unlimited time-off, 7 meals a week, tech company office) - Awesome learning opportunities (weekly subject matter expert chats, career advice, etc) - They take their culture and values seriously - Hiring is tough, but it ensures they let the best in the door

Cons

- The company is in profitability mode, so don't expect weekly company sponsored happy hours or extravagant off-sites. For most this might be par for the course, but coming from a company that was, admittedly, a little over the top with that stuff, Eventbrite just tends to be mindful about how they spend

10. 4.0

Not for everyone

Mar 25, 2021 - Client Support Representative/Customer Support Representative in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, overall a great culture and opportunities for professional growth

Cons

Upper management seems to be completely blind to the needs of their clients, particularly those in the music industry. As a customer support rep, I initially loved the team I joined, but about a year into it, I started to feel micromanaged. Compensation, at least in Customer Support & Client Support, was a bit low for the amount of work and stress.

2 people found this review helpful

Eventbrite Response

Thank you for sharing this and thank you for your work during such a tricky time. Best of luck on the next adventure - DH

11. 3.0

Underpaid

May 18, 2022 - Client Support in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, unlimited PTO, great coworkers

Cons

Underpaid, high stress environment, upper management was unfamiliar with music industry

1 person found this review helpful

Eventbrite

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with us. Best of luck in your next endeavor. -EB

Viewing 1 - 11 of 11 English Reviews