Eventbrite "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Eventbrite Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Company Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is great thus far. The people, culture, location and benefits make it a very enjoyable experience.

The care for staff and work/life balance are a credit to the organisation.

Great company on the same page globally, striving to be the best in the industry treating their employees with respect along the way.

Cons

Nothing to speak of at this stage. The experience has been great thus far.

Advice to Management

Nothing

Nov 11, 2018

Thank you for the feedback!

- Julia Hartz, CEO

2. "Are We Really Happy?"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* The management has really improved over the last year. I think Eventbrite actually tries hard to make sure employees are happy, but there is something missing and hence a handful of good people already left.
    * Great work-life balance.
    * Some of the smartest and kindest people. There is a few people who are not that good but there is few of them.
    * Free lunches
    * Work across the world as there is more acquisitions if you are lucky
    * Unlike salary, benefits are pretty good

Cons

* Pay quite below the average for engineers
    * If you are one of the hire up favorites, your concerns are more likely to be addressed. Same goes in engineering. Not much gets done unless you are one of the people who is "respected". It's a bit biased to be honest.
    * As someone already mentioned, behind that good exterior there is hidden lies and lack of enthusiasm.

Advice to Management

Promote people if they work hard and go out of their ways. The pay is low so there is not much incentive unless you make it so (with more raises and promotions).

Nov 11, 2018

It's disappointing to hear your experience at Eventbrite but I do appreciate you sharing your candid feedback. Should you have more detail you'd like to share directly with me, you know how to find... More

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cork (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cork (Ireland)

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- very positive onboarding and training experience + consistent support after the training
    - great company culture, motivated and passionate employees
    - international environment, creative and techy, open communication channels and the leadership team communicates with all teams
    - managers are very approachable and supportive
    - great salary package and additional benefits such as cover the cost of transport, snacks & drinks onsite, paid lunch 3 days a week
    - work/life balance

Cons

I really don't have cons to report. My experience up to date is all positive.

Advice to Management

Keep up with good works!

Oct 29, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience so far!

"Horrible 2-Year Experience"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Usual perks: free food/snacks, coffee, health benefits, nice office

Cons

I quit Eventbrite as soon as I was able. Despite the nice office/perks and facade of a "fun company culture", I did not enjoy working at Eventbrite. Don't be fooled by all the hyped 5-star reviews by entry-level new hires who don't know any better (yet).

1. Senior leader(s) of my department created a toxic, uncomfortable working environment. Complained to me about my own peers/colleagues, putting them down behind their backs. I've never experienced such unprofessionalism, and I was really disappointed about this. Given how frequently this happened, it was very hard to trust my managers: seeing them pretend to care about an employee, only to turn around the next moment and complain about them. I don't doubt that they've done the same to me.

2. Unappreciative. Leaders take their most diligent employees for granted. Constantly made heavy demands of the team to meet deadlines, but did NOT take the time to understand whether we had enough resources. Because of this, team would kill themselves working long hours just to hit deadlines, and management WON'T go out of their way to acknowledge dedication and hard work. On the other hand, if anything is less-than-perfect, then fingers ARE pointed and you'll get facetime with upper management to talk about what they don't like about you or your work.

3. No actual work/life balance. I was expected to return emails/calls in the evenings at home and while I was on vacation. I felt judged by my leaders whenever I asked to take any of my "unlimited PTO", even though I took less PTO than most others on my team. They were definitely counting days and letting you know they didn't like it.

4. Clique-y and cultist culture. Like a few others here have written, if you don't live and breathe Eventbrite, you don't fit in. Managers show favoritism.

Advice to Management

Seriously evaluate your leaders. Eventbrite doesn't practice what they preach.

Aug 21, 2018

I regret you had this kind of experience at Eventbrite. Should you want to speak directly with me, you know my email and we can set up time to chat. We are always evolving our approach to leadership... More

5. "Yes, it really is as amazing as it sounds!"

Current Employee - Contracts Administrator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Contracts Administrator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

During my application process, I read just about every review on Eventbrite's Glassdoor page - and from the minute I walked in for my interview, I saw the positive vibes in action. I've now been with the company for a little over two months, and every day I wake up even more excited to come to work. There are many, many pros to working at Eventbrite (hello, endless La Croix, delicious and healthy catered lunch, employer-paid healthcare and a host of other perks that simply make life easier), but the best part is being surrounded by super smart and driven people who really love what they do. I also really appreciate the push for strong communication and personal/professional development. Finally, as a woman, I have been incredibly impressed and motivated by the strong female leadership at Eventbrite, both within my team and company-wide.

Cons

Not really a con but a general comment - it's not all ping pong tables and free snacks. I've found the work/life balance to be great (and that balance is VERY encouraged), but this is not a place for people who just want punch the clock. However, if you're looking for a place where you will be pushed out of your comfort zone, encouraged to dig deep and learn about many different facets of a business, Eventbrite is it!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I couldn't imagine a better place to work!

Jul 8, 2018

Wow - thank you! I really appreciate your point of view and thoughtful description of what it’s like as a Briteling.

"LOVE THIS COMPANY"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Eventbrite has been one of the best job experiences I have had from the moment I walked in the door. They were very welcoming during the interview process and had a great training program to get me ramped up. The work life balance is amazing and I couldn't ask for better people to spend 40 hours with :)

Cons

So far I do not have any cons with my experience at Eventbrite.

"Misleading"

I worked at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

For the most part, people are nice and Eventbrite has great benefits.

Cons

For all of the good things EB has going on for itself, it is outweighed by the sorority culture it has among its people. EB is best described as a superficial culture that lacks genuine interaction -- the leaders I worked with pretended to care and be on your side but would conspire against you and shut themselves off from all forms of communication. I often times would come into work and have to guess if my manager was having a bad day and if they'll deflect their negativity onto me.

The people I worked with were all intelligent and respectable, but there were plenty of moments where they leveraged that and became condescending. Definitely a culture of flexing and seeing who has the bigger stick. Additionally, if your work is not your life, and you are not constantly thinking about "Eventbrite," you will have a very tough time connecting with anyone. Here, you have to be all about Eventbrite or you're out.

Eventbrite prides itself for its work life balance and even has an unlimited PTO plan for its employees, however, they hardly practice what they preach. Unlimited PTO is pretty much a myth used as a pitch to get you to sign on with them. I had a vacation planned and gave my manager plenty of notice ahead of time and was still hounded for responses and work during that time -- is it not common sense to respect my personal time? Don't be fooled by the benefits and the people. Easily the worst place I've worked in my career.

Advice to Management

The CEO is a great woman and leader that I personally loved to talk to, but it's a shame that other leaders can't take after that and keep their power trip to themselves. Learn transparency and honesty. If you are going to whisper a secret about another team member or other colleagues, be less obvious about it. Please be more aware of your team members' needs or please evaluate who you're putting in a leadership position before you do it. There were way too many under-qualified people in leadership roles and it just doesn't make sense. Do better.

May 11, 2018

I'm really sorry to hear this experience existed for you while also appreciating your candidness. I'd love to speak directly about your experience so if you are inclined, please do reach out... More

"Avoid"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Catered breakfast, lunch, and dinner
    Nice people for the most part
    Passionate CEO

Cons

No work/life balance.
    Stressful environment.
    Lack of communication, transparency, and guidance from management.
    No support on career path.

Apr 26, 2018

Gah...this is a disappointing review but these are definitely areas we can work on together. Work/life balance, an engaging work environment, strong communication, transparency, helpful management... More

"On an upswing"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

Through my time at Eventbrite there have been ups and downs, as I think is natural for a company that is rapidly growing and changing. I would currently say we're at a significant upswing based on recent positive changes made to the business.

It feels good to be at a company that consistently wins- we acquire our largest competitors, are at the forefront of innovation in ticketing, and consistently push the envelope. The business is strong and growing and the future looks bright. That success allows us to reinvest in things that matter for the business.

Our physical office locations around the world are top notch - from sweeping views in our Amsterdam office to the typical "tech perks" in San Francisco, there is no shortage of good vibes in the environment. The company benefits are very fair and the new 401k match is an exciting improvement. The recent work HR did to relevel comp according to market rate was a much needed remedy to our historically below-market pay. It finally feels more equitable to the rest of the tech world in San Francisco.

The leadership culture is evolving for the better as well. I feel proud to work for Julia and believe she is an empathetic leader who truly cares about each employee (especially welcomed in the current "me too" political climate). It's a relief to say that Eventbrite has reinvigorated our HR leadership to be more active in shaping company culture and addressing personnel issues.

Work/life balance here is the best of any company I have ever worked for. Time off is not only ok, it is respected (i.e. you won't be expected to work from the beach), and being able to get home at a reasonable hour most days is such a gift.

Cons

As with any company at this stage of growth, there are times when priorities shift abruptly or things seem to be moving very quickly. There are also longtime employees who are no longer effective or mesh well with current culture, but are kept around for historical knowledge, which is frustrating.

Advice to Management

Continue operating in an open, transparent fashion - that goes a long way for employees.

Apr 26, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and advice!

- Julia Hartz, CEO

10. "Incredible Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee perks and benefits, work life balance, generous time off, paid parking, fun office environment, open communication, culture

Cons

Business is growing fast, so if you are not flexible or hate change it's not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Apr 26, 2018

You're right: flexibility is key as the business continues to scale globally. I so appreciate the willingness to take on new challenges and flex as the company's needs continue to evolve. Thanks... More