Eventbrite Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 17, 2019

4.1
Eventbrite Co-Founder & CEO Julia Hartz
Julia Hartz
Pros
Cons
  • "Growing pains associated with a scaling company: some disorganization at the senior level can give individual contributors whiplash and cause burnout(in 16 reviews)

• "Management didn't show the most interest in supporting entry level career growth, though admittedly they had very busy schedules(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"The Best Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - CX Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great work/life balance. PTO policy is just to take the time you need, which is helpful to not have to stress over personal days and vacation time. -Office in the city, great location -Catered lunch every weekday, and it is always top notch. -The benefits package is obscenely good. -Ability to work remote as needed/desired

Cons

-The CX team feels forgotten at times in the sense that we don't always get to use the same benefits as the rest of the office. We rarely get to participate in the happy hours/socials/panels/trainings/meetings because, well, someone's gotta answer the phones. Holidays need to be worked, and while the holiday pay is nice, it kinda sucks almost drawing straws to see who gets stuck on their computer on a holiday. I'm not sure what the fix is for that, and it may just be the peril of working customer service, but it's worth mentioning. -There's been a major lack of clarity on the state of the company since it wen't public. The vibe is that things are not going to plan. Some high profile folks have left for reasons that don't seem genuine, and we've reorganized in different ways a few times. The higher ups swear everything is fine, but that feels suspect. In a company that values transparency, that's not a great feeling. If things are bad, just tell us.

Eventbrite2019-06-27

July 10, 2019

Really appreciate your observations and suggestions here. Balancing the needs of our customers with things like meetings and social activities can certainly be a challenge for our CX organization. My goal is to always think about how we can give fair access to opportunities, while continuing to look after the customers who are at the center of our business. Transparency is important to how we operate, not just as a team, but as a company. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts and start brainstorming further if you're up for it. Reach out to me in-person, over email, or Slack and let's grab a coffee. I'm always open to trying out new ways to get you the clarity and information you're missing. - Courtney Duhring, Director of International Customer Experience

2. "Supportive culture"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite for less than a year

Pros

Great work life balance, fun company events and socials

Cons

None that I can think of

Eventbrite2019-12-17

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Career Development - Learning Opportunities - Social Impact - Great health benefits - Free lunch/snacks daily - Free Parking - Amazing Office Environment - Good vibes - Work from home - Work/life balance - Dogs in the office! I have enjoyed almost every moment of working at Eventbrite in Nashville since I started almost two years ago. We have great site leadership and the office is still at the level where it is easy to know everyone you work with. That of course makes it even more worthwhile. I can't imagine a better place to work!

Cons

- We're growing fast so office space and communal working/hangout space is becoming an issue.

Eventbrite2019-05-29

May 30, 2019

Thank you so much for the positive feedback - we love that you love it here! You are right that we are growing so fast it's difficult to keep up with the office space needs - but trust that we are actively working on it. We know how important the right space is for productivity, happiness, and building a community. Erin Tomlinson, Nashville Site General Manager

"Sinking Ship"

1.0

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/life balance, stocked kitchen, they let (almost) everyone travel to multiple international offices.

Cons

The company went public before it was ready. They've severely missed the expectations on Wall Street, and the result is a slow roll out of layoffs and top talent leaving. These aren't talked about publicly, despite their insistence on caring for their employees and fostering a culture of transparency. I'd like to hope this is temporary, but the senior leadership team has transitioned multiple times in the last year, along with various "re-orgs." If you're looking to "maintain" and not innovate, and are comfortable with the idea that you may or may not have a job, welcome aboard.

Eventbrite2019-06-13

June 18, 2019Eventbrite

As you point out, transparency is incredibly important to us and we thank you for this feedback. Given how passionate you appear to be regarding your experience, we would love to continue the conversation offline. If you're a current Briteling, please consider signing up for CEO Office Hours, during which you'll have 1:1 time with our CEO. Alternatively, you can reach out to the Briteling Experience team directly by emailing bx@eventbrite.com.

"Opened the Pandora's box"

I have been working at Eventbrite

Pros

Great work/life balance Most of the teams still has great culture

Cons

Acquisition of TicketFly resulted with total mess of organization structure, with many executive and directive post doubled just to squeeze in the people from TF that EB was contractually obligated to keep. Joining teams from different pay scales resulted in awkward situations, when more experienced engineers have much lower pay scale than their peers from TF.

Eventbrite2019-05-21

"Best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

- We have a great educational culture. For me, the most important thing I was looking for was investment in my engineering education, and that's happened on both a team/manager level and department wide. We have many internal educational programs (lectures, workshops, funding for conferences and educational materials, mentorship program, access to Udemy courses, etc), and my managers have been fully supportive of helping me transition to fullstack engineer. I mean, I am working right now with one of the founders on Django on an educational project. That's so awesome in and of itself. - We have a great engineering culture. We have a healthy culture of feedback and discussion - I feel like we are always discussing the best way to accomplish things, and people are really passionate about finding the right way forward that's the best for everyone. - I really believe in the product and mission. Our goals are to help create live experiences as well as support our event creators, which is something I can definitely get behind, having been an event planner in a previous life. - I get to bring my whole self to work, and get to do all the things I'm interested in. I'm not only interested in coding - I also love education and diversity initiatives, and have been allowed work time to accomplish things like an internal mentorship program and bringing diverse groups into our space. - We have a great culture overall. Management is celebratory of the work we do, without being too over the top and flashy (unlike some other companies in the area). We have lots of great internal events as well. Also, I really feel like management cares about both the employees and customers. Management is constantly asking for feedback and acting upon it. - I have lots of opportunity for growth and promotion, and options available to pursue the career path I want - either continuing to be an individual contributor or go into management. I've also had multiple directors across different departments take interest in my career growth and offer their help. - I feel like I'm being paid very fairly and there are great benefits. Good medical, and lots of really nice perks around the office - smoothie bar, in house massages/chiro, lunch is provided, snacks, commuting benefits, wellness stipend, etc. - I am really listened to by my manager and upper management. I was rather unhappy on a project due to extenuating circumstances, and was switched to a different project that was more in line with what I want to accomplish. All of which I feel very grateful for. - Good work-life balance. Sometimes there's a project deadline and people have to work really hard to get stuff out of the door, but in general managers are really respectful of work life balance. We also have a really good culture of being flexible with time off and working remote. - I get to build cool stuff, working for our R&D department. - The interview process was one of the best I've ever been through. They were willing to meet me where I was at (being a junior engineer), and my first phone screen was with a director, not a recruiter. That really left a lasting impression on me. - Lastly, the people. I LOVE the people I get to work with - they are so incredibly knowledgeable, kind, and supportive. Also, just really freaking cool. Everyone has something that they are passionate about, both inside and outside of work. I have met so many amazing and inspiring people at work, and genuinely feel like I have made friends. This is probably one of the biggest factors of what's going to keep me around for a long time. All in all, I can't recommend Eventbrite enough. I love it here, plain and simple.

Cons

The internal development environment has been really difficult to work with in the past - lots of lost time and productivity. We don't have an official QA department. That sometimes is a bit concerning. Sometimes our internal culture isn't as cohesive as I would like - both SF wide and engineering as well. I do feel connected to other offices, as we have had opportunity to visit and work with each other which I feel grateful for. But I thankfully have friends across all the departments, which makes it feel a lot smaller.

Eventbrite2019-03-08

January 8, 2020

Thank you for this feedback! Very helpful. - David

"A tech company with heart."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Executives truly care about their employees and speak authentically to us * Nice selection of benefits * Excellent team and culture * Work life balance is real * Career mobility is real * Our business is unusually tangible: tickets and live experience which lead to feeling a good sense of accomplishment from the work we do

Cons

* Like most tech companies, or any companies, YMMV depending on team/manager.

Eventbrite2019-02-27

"Great Culture, Mission and Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Brand Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

A very welcoming and fun culture with opportunities to grow and learn. Everyone here is very passionate about all aspects of live events and believes in our mission. Great work-life balance. Hard working colleagues who care.

Cons

No clear path of how to be promoted within and what my career path looks like at Eventbrite. Lack of meeting rooms and quiet places in work in the SF office. The office tends to feel chaotic.

Eventbrite2019-03-13
  9. "Great Place, Incredible People"

Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A driven, relatively transparent company which pays attention and cares for its employees happiness. Lots of opportunities to bond with your team and do fun things to break up your work day. One of the best jobs I’ll ever have! Had a great manager, but can’t say that for everyone. Great work life balance and perks.

Cons

Pay is not great unless you’re a hustler. I encourage anyone looking for a job there to hustle their worth because Eventbrite will often under pay. They should strive to pay above market rate.

Eventbrite2019-02-18

March 2, 2019

Thank you for being a great part of our story! I appreciate the feedback you have on pay. While we want Britelings to openly advocate for their career growth, we also want to be fair in pay, equity, and benefits — an important part of the whole package. — Julia Hartz, CEO

"Are We Really Happy?"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

* The management has really improved over the last year. I think Eventbrite actually tries hard to make sure employees are happy, but there is something missing and hence a handful of good people already left. * Great work-life balance. * Some of the smartest and kindest people. There is a few people who are not that good but there is few of them. * Free lunches * Work across the world as there is more acquisitions if you are lucky * Unlike salary, benefits are pretty good

Cons

* Pay quite below the average for engineers * If you are one of the hire up favorites, your concerns are more likely to be addressed. Same goes in engineering. Not much gets done unless you are one of the people who is "respected". It's a bit biased to be honest. * As someone already mentioned, behind that good exterior there is hidden lies and lack of enthusiasm.

Eventbrite2018-10-30

November 11, 2018

It's disappointing to hear your experience at Eventbrite but I do appreciate you sharing your candid feedback. Should you have more detail you'd like to share directly with me, you know how to find me! Thanks - Julia Hartz, CEO

Found 56 reviews