Everest Re Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Underwriter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Cor, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Cor, NJ

I have been working at Everest Re Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tends to reward success., hard work, and perseverance. Good benefit package. Company becoming more flexible with hours and work from home options. Company is poised to grow and has been producing better than expected results for years now. Recently entered S&P 500.

Cons

They are driven to win. Not for the faint of heart. If your not committed stay away.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Underwriter"

I have been working at Everest Re Group full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits, growing company

Cons

Management needs to be a little more caring

Advice to Management

Need to promote more from within

3. "Great place to work!"

Pros

Great environment and people. Everyone is very welcoming and willing to help.

Cons

HR communication is lacking. Could use better processes.

"Was great, but not anymore!"

I worked at Everest Re Group full-time

Pros

Great coworkers who are at the same level. Good benefits, great 401k program! Starting allowing some work from home time.

Cons

The IT restructuring has caused everyone to go to hell. IT management is just concerned with impressing their own bosses, and will throw their people under the bus rather than admit their own mistakes. Outsourcing to India has caused quality to drop, and a culture of fear has grown. Employees are told they're "not working enough overtime" compared to their peers.

Advice to Management

Change the culture in IT immediately. Your results have been great, but it's all built on the foundation of IT. Fix it before it impacts your bottom line.

"Bad IT Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Corner, NJ

I worked at Everest Re Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company is doing well, many opportunities. Fair compensations &benefits and decent pension plan. Majority of the employees are very nice and many of them have worked in the same company for a long time.

Cons

New IT Management joined 2016 and everything has gone downhill since. They opened many new high level (highly compensated) positions at the top to bring in Leadership, Project Managers, Scrum Masters, Architects from outside the company. On the other end, they have forced out/replaced many existing experienced technical staff and replaced them with cheap offshore consultants (with zero experience) from Infosys Management staff spent all day in meetings with very few people left on the floor to do the actual work. In addition, management came up with so many new processes & procedures (Agile, JIRA, Pillar groups, Architecture Review Board) that has added another layer of overhead to the few technical staff who were doing the actual work. It now takes weeks (if not months) to complete a very simple project.

The new IT team are managing their staff using ‘fear’ tactics: first telling employees that they will give out more bad(they call it 'curved') reviews and then threaten to get rid of people with below average reviews. Bonus are reduced because all those new high paying big fishes take money from the pool first. IT consultants are being clamped into desks & environment worse than a call center floor. The result: employees are fed up and moral are low. Everyone is focusing on their own assignments and stopped helping out each other. Projects were delayed and quality of work dropped thanks to the help from Infosys.

If you want to join Everest as an engineer, developer, QA, or tech support; please think twice because this company is moving all these positions offshore to Infosys. Management here don’t value these technical skills (easily replaceable in their mind) and eventually and IT department will be left with on-shore management team plus an army of Infosys consultants.

Advice to Management

Talents are leaving the IT department. Please stop evaluating IT performance by someone’s PowerPoint presentation skills and check some basic facts: How is the turn-around time for your security requests & tickets? How fast are projects & enhancement requests being fulfilled?
    If adding more & more chiefs at the top is not helping the overall efficiency, how about bringing in more qualified workers and let them do their jobs without using 3 people (function manager, project manager, scrum master) to micromanage each employee instead?

Everest Re Group Response

Jun 30, 2017 – Recruiting Director

Thank you for sharing this feedback on your experiences within the Everest ETS group. As you are aware, the ETS team has been going through a transformation to make the department and its processes... More

"Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Corner, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Corner, NJ

I have been working at Everest Re Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people at Everest are exceptionally bright and very collaborative. The teams have been built, and continue to grow, under great care to ensure a positive environment and one that supports its employees. There is clear direction from management on targeted goals and they listen readily on ways to streamline and lay ground work in order to attain. Plus great upgrades to the facilities!

Cons

The company has had many changes over the last couple of years. Albeit for the overall good, and in anticipation of market needs, change does make many uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Please continue to offer the great career building education and opportunities for growth. Persist in impressing the importance of transparency that we have all come to value. Sustain the efforts focused on culture and accountability.

"Low Pay, Micro Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Corner, NJ

I worked at Everest Re Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to access from major highway.

Cons

I would never be able to recommend this company to anyone looking for career growth. Career stagnation is more what Everest offers. The mid-level management has been in place for 20+ years and doesn't move up or out, whether competent or not. Lower level staff have no where to go except out the door after a couple of years. There is no recognition for a well-done job and the pay is well under the current market rates for comparable positions in other companies. For the three years I was there, there was a complete turnover (out the door) of the non-supervisory staff in my group and since I left, I was told at least four more individuals have been hired and have subsequently left. This is again mostly due to extremely low pay, no growth, and a micro-managing supervisor who felt it was within their rights to read every email that the staff sent and thought it OK to correct even the smallest item (i.e., a COMMA in a sentence) in that email. The result of this kind of micro-management was extremely low morale and a mass exodus.

Advice to Management

Increase your pay grades, recognize the capabilities of your staff and REWARD them. Get rid of micro-managing supervisors who cause you repeated loss of time and money in hiring and training of staff. Make senior management aware of how poorly middle management operates.

"IT used to be but..."

I have been working at Everest Re Group full-time

Pros

Used to give decent raises and bonus but they were cut this year too

Cons

It used to be a good place to work...people worked as a team and were willing to help. I've worked in IT a long time and what I see now is sad. People are afraid to help because they can't miss their deadlines. Morale is at an all time low. The new CIO first words to us were you're 'old and expensive'. Since then HR has been present in all of his meetings with us. They are offshoring work to a consulting company and we're each getting a consultant assigned to us that we have to train. We keep asking if they're replacing us but we're told 'no, they're here to help'. I've been outsourced before and we were offered a bonus if we trained our replacements and stayed until the end. At least we were treated with honesty and dignity. It management had several lists of people they wanted to fire but HR told them they have to be retrained. Now they're having everyone become a project manager...no matter what your skill set. What are we going to do with a 100 project managers?

Advice to Management

I hope Dom reads this and realizes what's going on. That's the only way IT can be saved...

9. "Services"

I have been working at Everest Re Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tremendous potential. Growth Opportunities, compensation in range

Cons

Lack of collaboration, leadership, transparency

Advice to Management

Engagement. Practice CORE values preached. Recent additions not close to qualified

"The IT runaway freight train."

Former Employee - IT in Liberty Corner, NJ
    Former Employee - IT in Liberty Corner, NJ

I worked at Everest Re Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good location, good non-management employees, the company financials are solid, CEO seems down to earth when he speaks, and easy commute.

Cons

The IT morale at Everest is at an all time low. You have employees that have been there 20+ years leaving, and some of them not even having a job lined up yet, but they just can't take the stress. The new CIO is more concerned with making the CEO happy than keeping his team (IT) happy. He has told all of IT in a department meeting that they everyone's performance rating is as a 2 (needs improvement) for 2017 and until you prove otherwise, you will be a 2. He published a slide deck for the CEO on all the things he changed in his first 100 days, (And no the CIO is not Donald Trump) Since he arrived all openings are to be filled from the outside and there are no promotions within. Unless you are applying for your dream position, be cautious as Everest could be a career killer. There are a ton of new projects kicking off, but the project deadlines are just ridiculous. You have the same people working on 12 projects which are all priority and have to be completed by tomorrow. The VP's are afraid to tell the CIO it cant be done for fear of losing their jobs, so they tell the employees to stay late, come in early, work weekends, and get it done in any means possible. 3 VP's have left since this all started. A contract was signed for over 100 off shore resources. It is to early to tell what that will mean to full time employees. Be cautious accepting a position in IT and make sure to ask the hiring manager all of your questions including why the position was not filled from within.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about the pleasing the CEO , CIO, and VP's and start listening to your IT employees. All of the IT knowledge that Everest has built up over the last 20 years is walking out the door. Start filing jobs with the people you have that have been there 10+ years. It would raise morale and give employees a feeling of being a part of a team again. Stop telling employees that they rate as "needs improvement", as that is unacceptable to make such a broad statement. IT is a runaway freight train. If it stays on the rails, great for everyone who stays. If it derails, there will be company wide application stability issues, system outages, followed by finger pointing.

Everest Re Group Response

Jun 6, 2017 – Recruiting Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Our new CIO has been focused on bringing new technologies that will benefit the organization, both internally and externally. We do understand that change is... More