Evernote Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Evernote CEO Chris O’Neill
Chris O’Neill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • For the most part, good work/life balance for a startup (in 13 reviews)

• Great perks like unlimited vacation, excellent catered lunches, electric car chargers on site (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains are definitely happening right now, but this is all part of growth as a company (in 10 reviews)

• High turnover recently due to our changing needs (in 7 reviews)

"Incredibly Supportive Overall Environment"

I have been working at Evernote full-time

Pros

I have absolutely my time at Evernote. People are incredibly approachable and have a genuine interest in each others' lives.
    The company is now in strong shape, much stronger than the more tumultuous 2015 transitional period.

Cons

Some parts of our codebase are also pretty outdated and do not fully utilize the plethora of tools that we could be using.

Advice to Management

Work out the bugs that customers are most clamoring over. Pay very close attention to what your core user base is asking for.

"Change is what Evernote needs, but not at this price"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Evernote full-time

Pros

Great catering, nice workspace, excellent benefits (although they did just get more expensive) great location, good branding. Employee taught classes are a highlight

Cons

As the company changes, it went from being a lot of nice people to a lot of cutthroat employees desperate to keep their jobs. Lots of turnover, and for some reason, for a company with great benefits and pay, they have a hard time attracting employees.

They preach transparency, but they don't practice it

Ridiculously complex project management, you spend more time in meetings and working in planning software than you do doing the work--there are tons of meetings about how to have less meetings

They can't make up their minds about ANYTHING; anything you plan for at the beginning of a quarter will be irrelevant at the end

Lots of high-schooly drama, whispering, people making secret Slack groups to exclude others, making fun of employees after they've left the company

Advice to Management

Managers don't have to be mean and shifty to be effective. You're going in the right direction, but you don't have to step on people, lie to employees and belittle people to get the job done.

"Honestly a Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Evernote full-time

Pros

Work on a product that makes a big difference to millions of people
    Managers and PMs are very receptive to new ideas, very frequent 1:1s that are very helpful

Cons

RSUs are still restricted since Evernote is not public yet

Advice to Management

Let's try to hire and fill up Seth's spot!

"Should be a fun ride!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Evernote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks are great but the people are greater! Yes, the perks are great with daily lunches provided, gym on site, barista, great benefits paying about a third on insurance premiums as I did with my last company.

The people are even greater staying positive in an ever changing world of technology. CEO is awesome and very transparen . If you think not, you have never worked for bad CEO's. If anyone sees this place as toxic as I read in a previous post, this is probably not the place for you anyway. You need to go to work in a true toxic environment so you can appreciate a company like Evernote.

Cons

Growing pains which is never a bad thing. Getting the infrastructure and systems ready for all the growth is a must.

Advice to Management

Hire more outside sales people! Changing or sticking to our established processes as we grow. Keeping an open mind and listening to employees and customers alike.

"Happiest Job I've Ever Had"

I have been working at Evernote full-time

Pros

- Events all the time (amazing desserts during tea time)
    - Incredibly helpful and approachable people to be around all the time

Cons

- Occasional high pressure code pushes near deadlines can make for a stressful day or two

Advice to Management

Think about how to make our system as scalable as possible as we accumulate more and more data, especially on our monolithic system.

"Strong Shape Heading into 2018"

I have been working at Evernote full-time

Pros

Very close team bonds (managers often get very positive reviews)
    Food, gym, salad/soup bar is amazing, plenty of activities for employees

Cons

Tight windows for certain updates so some late nights here and there

Advice to Management

Really get a feel for which features we need to add to push us over the edge

"Lucky to Have Found this Place"

Former Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Evernote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, people, benefits, and a clear mission. This is a company that is changing peoples’ lives for better and I’m incredibly proud to say I’m part of this. Managers are approachable and open. I was looking at other reviews and it seems someone may have posted repeatedly negative remarks, which is probably an isolated opinion. I’ve worked for a couple of startups in the Valley and this company is seriously committed to its people, and it’s product. I’m not kidding, and this is no fake review, because honestly I don’t even think Evernote would be capable of that, it’s not in their makeup. The company is going places and is extremely transparent which is rare, very rare. This is a great place.

Cons

At the moment, likely the normal growing pains, nothing major. I’d say having managers more available (some can work from Home a few days a week) but people remotely dial in so it’s not a huge deal.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and providing guidance to your teams. We thrive off of ways to learn and improve our abilities

"2018 will be awesome"

I have been working at Evernote full-time

Pros

Evernote has the best company culture I have experienced in the Valley. Every employee I have met (I am almost at my 1-yr anniversary) is kind, committed, and looking forward to all the new developments coming in 2018. People work hard and care about each other and love the product. Food is awesome, benefits are on par with most internet companies and the leadership team is accessible (though super busy). Great location.

Cons

We need more engineers, and some people that have been with Evernote for a long time have left to try new places. But we are growing and the next year is supposed to be a big hiring year.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. The CEO presentation this week was helpful.

"Big Year Ahead"

I have been working at Evernote full-time

Pros

People are bright and helpful (and transparent too! I disagree strongly with some of these reviews that say otherwise)
    Gym
    Free food!

Cons

Pace could be improved in shipping out new features to clients
    Working on making the cross-functionality of the more efficient

Advice to Management

Hire, hire hire!

"Having a great time"

I have been working at Evernote full-time

Pros

- Very healthy revenue and user conversion rates
    - Good food, gym, health benefits
    - Very collaborative culture, our whiteboards are always filled up with ideas!
    - Executives are actually very open during weekly meetings

Cons

There are some crucial infra fixes that we should be making a more concerted effort toward pushing out.