Evernote Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Evernote CEO Chris O’Neill
Chris O’Neill

Pros
  • For the most part, good work/life balance for a startup (in 13 reviews)

• Collaboration, excellent developers, amazing catered lunches, lots of social events, promising new CEO (in 13 reviews)

"Customer Support Team"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Evernote full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation and benefits package.

Cons

None. The company is a delight to work for.

Advice to Management

I worked full time on the Support Team and it was literally the best job I ever had. Sadly, I had to leave for family reasons as Evernote does not allow employees to work remotely. I admit, I was a bit distracted with personal things going on outside of work that hindered my performance a bit, but I feel if I was given the opportunity to work remotely with occasional home office benefits, my performance would have improved. My manager can speak for me that I truly wanted to help our users, but had difficulty finding the balance between accomplishing that and my time outside of work. Evernote was the official note taker for the Workplace Track at SXSW this year and one conference they attended was the benefits of working remotely. I thought that was odd since not everyone is given the opportunity to work remote unless you were grandfathered in when this was an option many years ago. I would take my job back in a heartbeat if Evernote allowed support staff to work remote. I love Evernote and have no negative things to say about it. I miss my team and our users. I hope in Evernote's future that they embrace working remotely and can setup resources to allow this to happen. Evernote will continue to grow and the small Austin space will fill up sooner or later. Chris has taken the company in a great direction from our previous CEO and I have faith in him.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Evernote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, cool product, family friendly

Cons

If someone want to build career, it's not right place

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

For me, it's the people and teams that I interact with on a daily basis that makes me excited to wake up in the morning and make my way to work.

It's pretty great that members of the leadership team take the time to learn everyone's names.

I truly enjoy being a part of a team that is self-motivated to suceed!

Cons

There are some that feel a bit entitled to the perks.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Lots of work to do"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Evernote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People care about doing right by users

Cons

Decision making and resource allocation is challenging

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on doing fewer things better on behalf of users

"Heavy-handed environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Evernote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of nice and very talented individual contributors

Leadership is helping the company pivot in a clear direction

Decent pay and benefits

Family-friendly

Probably a decent place to be if you are an engineer (but not really for others)

Cons

Everyone is busy "managing up", leadership sets unrealistic expectations, sets a tone for lots of politics and empire building; the work is poorly organized and teams are told to use rigor and be strategic to help the company "grow up" yet simultaneously pushed to be faster, scrappier without any good reason; teams are not adequately resourced, everyone's attention is split in a thousand directions; management provides little transparency and only gives lip service to helping staff succeed; too busy with CYA.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees rather than boss them around. Support channels of honest two way communication. Listen to your HR team, they are great.

6. "Great place to work in Austin, TX"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Evernote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Austin has a small, close knit group of great CS and engineering folks. They are welcoming and kind to each other. The office is relatively small so work can get done pretty quickly. In it's newest location, the offices are beautiful.

Cons

Austin is not HQ, so working cross-functionally can be difficult.

"Great place to get your feet wet.. and move on."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Evernote (More than a year)

Pros

Offers great opportunities to individuals just starting in the Tech industry looking for the start-up experience and get their feet wet as a stepping stone.

Cons

Divided culture. Investment in invested employees is subpar. Direction of company is unknown and though the dialogue has changed externally the internal operations/values haven't.

Advice to Management

Clarity of expectations, direction of company and expected outcome. Departmental ownership top down. Start to invest in the people that make your product soar. Stop using attrition to save money, redistribute responsibility and create employee burn out.

"We can do better!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Evernote (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice airy office, many perks (used to be more), decent compensation. Many really talented colleagues I'm proud to be working with (again, used to be more). I'm personally pretty lucky to be in the place where I feel that what I do is important and really makes a difference, and not being the part of any politics. YMMV, though. The new management, and CEO in particular, really pushes forward to improving the culture and welcomes feedback.

Cons

Because of recent tectonic shifts in the company structure (new CEO, new upper and middle management) some people probably feel lost, and I'm sad to see long-term talented employees leave the company. The company seems to have lost its unicorn-y feel, and the long-term business outlook, though more solid than it was a year ago, is still pretty fuzzy, though I personally believe - want to believe! - that we will make it.

Advice to Management

I think the ratio of engineering/project managers to developers is disproportional. Formally filling in the management hierarchy won't make the process better. Hire more talented engineers instead, give them more freedom, foster innovation.

"Personal growth, optimism, collaboration"

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Evernote full-time

Pros

Evernote is on the right track. New leadership. We've had lots of hiring and new capable colleagues bring in lots of experience. New projects are aligned to make Evernote more profitable. Smiles and fun in the workplace again.

A few years ago it seemed like the best was behind us, but new leadership has brought focus and projects that make sense, rather than distractions. New CEO and leadership are very collaborative and consult (and listen to) staff on direction. The environment feels entirely "open" compared to previously.

Professional and personal development is encouraged. Quarterly goals include requirement for learning or practicing new skills. There are dozens of Evernote Academy courses each quarter to learn floral arrangement, wine tasting, leadership skills, or how to travel smart at Disneyland.

Free Caltrain, shuttle from SF, bikes for around town, electric car charging. Subsidized massages. Free boxing, gym, boot camp.

Cons

We're still digging out from a backlog of old projects that we need to eliminate or that need to get completed. Old bugs and hacks in the code need to be improved. Some useless projects need to be shut down.
    Lots of staff rearrangement as projects are reorganized. It would be nice to have more consistency.
    Can't do anything with the stock until a liquidity event.
    No 401k matching yet.

Advice to Management

It feels like you're on the right track. Keep open lines of communication with staff for insight and ideas. Encourage professional development so staff stick around and bring new skills to the job.

Evernote Response

Jul 26, 2016 – SVP, People

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and for keeping an open mind about our future! Keep us honest about remaining transparent and keeping communication lines wide open, we ... More

"Company cannot hold on to good people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Evernote full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

t's great to work on a product that millions of people use and love. There are still a few smart, nice people left at the company, but fewer every week.

Great work life balance if you live nearby. Seriously, people roll in at 9:30 and are out by 5:45 every day. If you're in the city, the commute is killer though.

Pay is good. The people I managed were all making higher than even bay area standard for their experience level.

Cons

Very little chance the equity will be worth anything. Ever.

Can't keep good people. Watch the hackathon video they promote... half those people aren't even at the company any more. Evernote can't keep talented folks because senior management has no real vision for the product or the company.

No diversity whatsoever. There are a bunch of white men at the top with b-school degrees and middle management experience. Where'd the women go?

Fewer and fewer perks, which isn't a big deal. But it's time to grow up and offer things like paid vacation and 401k matching.

Advice to Management

Can't imagine they'd listen anyway, so what's the point?

Evernote Response

Jun 2, 2016 – SVP, People

First and importantly, thanks for sharing your feedback. There's no doubt we've lost some wonderfully talented Evernoters in the last year, but many remain with us. We're working diligently to regain ... More